Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #676
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Marissa! Sorry that I haven't been around. With my whole trip to Boston and NYC, I've obviously just been out of commission and NOT on the DIS! Womp, that definitely made me a little sad. But I'm back, and I've caught back up with your TR!

I'm not going to go over everything since I missed way too many updates, buuuut I have to say that I love you noticed the details for Binford/Home Improvement! I used to love that show and obviously JTT. He was so dreamy, haha.

I also thought of Full House when I saw your photo of the San Fran backdrop!

Bahahaha, I laughed out loud at the paint over at Muppet Vision and the lady from my TR! OMG, I love that you remembered that. The poor lady just looked so distraught in her ECV that she knocked over the paint can.

We've never done the Art of Animation thing either, nor have I been in the building! I told Matt I want to explore HS a little more this time; I feel like we hit up the same 4 attractions when we go there most times, so I want to definitely explore it more next time! It's just not his favorite park, but I'm sure I can convince him!

I feel like Joey was in one of the animator's rooms or something. I'd forgotten about how he drew himself/he came to life. So random!

I LOVED Brave and I am SO excited for Wreck-it Ralph!.. AND OMG Tangled Ever After, duh!

Haha your drawing isn't THAT bad. But I'd imagine it'd be harder left-handed!

Oh man, I LOVE The Incredibles! I want to watch it again now.

Ohhh I love that cupcake so much, the Red Velvet. I am also excited to try out the cupcakes at the Contempo though next trip!

Swim time! I'm jealous, I want to go swimming right now. I love swimming time at the resorts. When I was little, that was my favorite part of my first trip to Disney. That and meeting Mickey Mouse.

Glad I'm all caught up again! All is right in the world again, haha.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #677
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
Marissa! Sorry that I haven't been around. With my whole trip to Boston and NYC, I've obviously just been out of commission and NOT on the DIS! Womp, that definitely made me a little sad. But I'm back, and I've caught back up with your TR!

It's quite alright! I completely understand! WOOHOOOO!

I'm not going to go over everything since I missed way too many updates, buuuut I have to say that I love you noticed the details for Binford/Home Improvement! I used to love that show and obviously JTT. He was so dreamy, haha.

That's okay! I give my mom credit for noticing that one. I loved that show too. I wonder what happened to him! I bet he's just a really really really attractive male now.

I also thought of Full House when I saw your photo of the San Fran backdrop!

Bahahaha, I laughed out loud at the paint over at Muppet Vision and the lady from my TR! OMG, I love that you remembered that. The poor lady just looked so distraught in her ECV that she knocked over the paint can.

It's so hard not to! It also reminds me of a particular scene in the Princess Diaries haha.

That poor lady! I thought of that as soon as I saw it! That's why I took the picture haah!

We've never done the Art of Animation thing either, nor have I been in the building! I told Matt I want to explore HS a little more this time; I feel like we hit up the same 4 attractions when we go there most times, so I want to definitely explore it more next time! It's just not his favorite park, but I'm sure I can convince him!

Yall will have to change that! It's really fun in there and I really enjoyed it! You know, Matt and I have that in common. DHS is not even close to being my favorite park, but I will say that after this day, I had a brand new appreciation for that park! It was great to do some new things there on this trip.

I feel like Joey was in one of the animator's rooms or something. I'd forgotten about how he drew himself/he came to life. So random!

I LOVED Brave and I am SO excited for Wreck-it Ralph!.. AND OMG Tangled Ever After, duh!

I guess so! I have no idea. It was a really cool room though! I remember someone had that big Genie mug! I always wanted one of those after I saw that. I've always had a bit of a mug obsession...

Brave was so good! I'm definitely getting that on DVD like as soon as it comes out. Or for Christmas. Whatever. But I can't wait for Wreck-it Ralph! I've never been into video games but I think the whole concept is just brilliant! I'm definitely seeing that ASAP!

Haha your drawing isn't THAT bad. But I'd imagine it'd be harder left-handed!

Oh man, I LOVE The Incredibles! I want to watch it again now.

Hahh thank you! I mean, I have issues with the eyes and the mouth. I definitely made those funky. Hahah I'm sure it was just an excuse, but I definitely need to try again next time!

It's such a good movie! When I first saw it in theaters, I thought it was only okay. But I was a lame 16 year old then, so maybe that's why. I didn't fully appreciate it... but THEN I decided to give it another chance and now it's one of my favorite Pixar movies! It's just incredible! (Lame joke. I can't help myself sometimes.)

Ohhh I love that cupcake so much, the Red Velvet. I am also excited to try out the cupcakes at the Contempo though next trip!

It was so so good! I want to try the Butterfinger one next time! And then I want to use all my other snack credits (except for one reserved for a dole whip) on Contempo cupcakes. I don't know if people are fully realizing their deliciousness and wonder. I'm so glad I'm helping to spread awareness.

Swim time! I'm jealous, I want to go swimming right now. I love swimming time at the resorts. When I was little, that was my favorite part of my first trip to Disney. That and meeting Mickey Mouse.

Glad I'm all caught up again! All is right in the world again, haha.
Swim time was so much fun! I agree, I mean, I don't get to go to pools very often so I like to play for a little while, even at Disney! It's part of the resort experience! Plus, after going in December twice, I was ready to take some swim time again.

Hahah yay! I didn't even realize you were so far behind! But I'm glad you're all caught up now, because I'm about to update once again!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #678
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

For those of you that were wondering, the answer to the trivia question from the drawing class...

Who did Walt originally want to use as the Sorcerer's apprentice in Fantasia instead of Mickey Mouse?

...is Dopey!!!

(Kimmy, aka princess_momma, got it right!)

If you look at Dopey, you'll notice that his outfit is the exact same thing as Sorcerer Mickey, just in a different color! Also, his mannerisms in Fantasia are different than his normal ones, because they originally animated the part for Dopey. They changed their minds because they saw Mickey as their mascot and wanted him to be more popular.

So... now you know! Isn't that interesting? It's fun learning new Disney facts. At least for me.

And now it's update time!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #679
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

YAY for new updates

@quirkyinwi (Twitter) @sunnysideup3 (Instagram)

November 2001: WDW- Offsite/ December 2009: WDW- Offsite/ December 2011: WDW-POR
December 2012: WDW-POR/ Jan 2014: Disney Wonder (5 day Western Caribbean)/Jan 2015: WDW-POR /Oct 2015: TBD
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #680
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

The One With the First Aloha

The One With the First Aloha

July 31, 2012

As soon as we got back to the room, we changed into our bathing suits and headed down to the main pool at the Contemporary! One really cool thing about staying at Bay Lake Tower is that you get access to both pools!

My dad and Anna were hanging out at the pool already. They’d started out at the BLT pool but they decided to switch things up when that one got too crowded. It’s a little smaller, so it tends to get more crowded. I didn’t mind because I wanted to check out both pools, and more importantly, both SLIDES.

I unfortunately don’t have ANY pictures of the Contemporary’s pool. I knew we’d all be swimming, so I didn’t want to leave my camera just sitting on a chair. I planned on going back by and getting a few pictures later, but it just never happened.

The pool at the Contemporary might not be as well themed or as pretty as the BLT one, but it’s just as much, if not more fun! There’s one area of the pool with, I guess it’s called a waterfall? It probably isn’t called that… oh goodness. I need pictures. I’m gonna try to find some pictures.

Okay, so I found some pictures. I feel like a total cheater, but I don’t like not having them!

I googled Contemporary Resort Pool and these are some of the results I got.

This one is from wdwmagic.com. THIS is the waterfall thing I was trying to describe… it was SO much fun!

Jacob and I kept going behind it, between the water and the wall. It was really cool to see it go above your head. I kept putting my head out under the falling water. It was a really cool feature and it was a lot of fun to play around in.

This picture came from examiner.com. (???)

It’s the water slide!!! We all went down it so many times, I lost count. It was awesome. It doesn’t look all that long, but it winds a few times and it’s FAST. I’m not even kidding, every time I went down, I would just get KNOCKED into the water full force! I had to try to brace myself every time, but I always ended up with my hair parted on the opposite side and with water up my nose (even when I held my nose… life’s mysteries). It was too much fun though! I just love water slides.

We spend a good few hours in the pool, and meanwhile there were a lot of Recreational CMs playing water games with a lot of the kids. They were in a certain area of the pool so it wasn’t intrusive or annoying. They were also playing a lot of music and it was just a big fun pool party. I just enjoy pools. I also enjoy the fact that there are no fish in them. That’s a story for another day, but I don’t do fish.

ANYWAYS, after a while we unfortunately had to leave the pool to go back inside.

Fortunately we were going inside so we could get ready to go to DINNER! Also, VERY fortunately, as soon as we started heading inside, the wind picked up in a major way and the clouds started rolling in. It never rained, but I probably wouldn’t have liked to be in the pool.

We didn’t really have time to shower… oops? But we did our best to look somewhat presentable and headed back out of the villa, to the Contemporary, and up to the monorail station!

It was the first time we actually had to wait a couple minutes for a monorail to arrive, so I took some pictures while we waited!

The view from the CR monorail station windows.

God bless America.

This is what you see when you look down at the resort.

(BVG, also known as Bay View Gifts.)

I like how the hats look when they’re going opposite directions like that.

I also happen to think that window is one of the coolest windows ever.

After a couple of minutes, monorail GOLD showed up to whisk us away!

We were going to… the POLYNESIAN!!!

As per usual, I was excited. None of us had actually ever set foot inside the Polynesian before! Seeing as how it’s the other original WDW resort, it’s a big deal!

The monorail let us out at the Great Ceremonial House, and as soon as we walked inside, I was hit with one of the most amazing smells I had ever experienced! It just smelled like a tropical paradise. I couldn’t get over it. I just kept getting big whiffs of the air and sighing in content. AHHHHHHH, good smells are good yall.

It was great to see everything in person!

Since I’m cool, I took a picture of the ceiling. Even the ceiling is awesome.

Ahhh, it’s so beautiful!

Jacob and I were clearly excited to get our Aloha on.

We had a little while to explore the GCH before our reservation, so we walked around upstairs…

…and I took a picture inside the store because of the cuteness…

and then we headed downstairs.

The whole vibe of the place was just really cool for me. It really did feel like a tropical paradise with like a seventies feel. It reminded me of Brady Bunch if I’m being honest! That’s a good thing if you’re me. I love the Brady Bunch and I always thought the inside of their house was the coolest thing!

I can’t explain it but it seriously reminds me of the Brady Bunch!

Groovy.

I took a peak outside…

Didn’t see much.

A close-up look at the beautiful tropical paradise-ness.

Then I saw a dolphin.

I was okay with that, because dolphins are wonderful and adorable and one of the few forms of sea life that I do not fear!

It was getting closer to our ADR time, so we went back upstairs and I proceeded to photograph more things.

Hmm… whatever could this sign mean??

Could it mean… ‘Ohana?!

YES IT COULD.

Oh yes. We were about to go to ‘Ohana for the first time EVER.

You know the crazy part? Originally, it wasn’t even part of our plans. We switched ADRs around about 40 million times, and thankfully we ended up with ‘Ohana!

We checked in, and as we were waiting, my sister got a text from one of her friends. Her friend told her that who else but Tom Cruise and his daughter were vacationing at… where else but Walt Disney World? He had been seen at the Magic Kingdom that very day. How weird is that?! (We later learned that they were staying in the Castle Suite. Um, whatever. They may have been IN the castle but could they SEE it from their room? Yeah, I know.) Anyways, that happened.

Our reservation was for 5:00, right at opening. At exactly 5:00, all of the cousins came out and performed a little opening ceremony.

It was pretty cute. All they did was stand there and clap while ‘Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride’ from Lilo and Stitch played. Hahaha. It was a nice little ceremony.

Soon, our lovely cousin was leading the way to our table.

It was time… to… EAT.

Continued in Next Update

Last edited by marDgreen88; 10-08-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #681
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup3 View Post
YAY for new updates
Yay indeed!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #682
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Looks like perfect timing to get out of the pool!!!

And there you left it... BEFORE actually getting to 'Ohana! lol!!

I am actually giving up an 'Ohana ADR for my trip. I just haven't gotten the guts to actually hit cancel on it yet. But it will happen. The day is ALL wrong! lol. It's okay though because the only thing I would want there is the Dessert!! I guess I will live without it!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #683
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

They do not have the grapefruit cake in the case, but if you ask for it they will get you a slice. It is on the menu at the Brown Derby next door. A while ago someone posted that if you ask for it, they "most" of the time will get you a slice. I just love it. Not very strong grapefruit flavor IMO.

Anyway. I love the look and the feel of the Poly too! We are staying there the for the first time next year and I cant wait.

Ohana is my fav by far for dinner. I can't wait to hear what you and your family think. My DH tells me it is a must eat from now on.

Keep the updates coming I love getting my Disney fix with your TR

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #684
nanhol
Mouseketeer

Just caught up with your trip report and I am loving it! Your writing style & your pictures have me so excited about Disney. Can't wait to hear about your Ohana dinner! I'm sort of a newbie on disboards and I keep reading amazing things about the Ohana dinner--I think I may need to trade out one of my ADRs for this one! (No pressure...but your review may make the decision for me...) Thank you for sharing your trip with us!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #685
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Don't you just love the Poly ?? I hope you got to see the gift shop downstairs. I really love that one !! We will eat at Ohana when we go in April. Can't wait to see what you thought of it !!

Oh and thanks for taking the time to get some Contemporary pool photos for us. I wanted to see them. I assume that if you stay at BLT, you can use the Comtemp pool and vice versa ?? Because you CAN'T use the Beach Club pool if you are staying at the Boardwalk even though they are close to each other. I just love the deluxe pools. Who doesn't love a good water slide ????
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #686
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Yay for finally going to the Polynesian! I think everyone knows how I feel about that resort...seriously, whenever we ride the monorail and pass there I just stare at the window and wish I was getting off to stay there. That place just has so many memories. Isn't walking into the GCH an awesome feeling?! Anyways...can't wait to hear about your meal at Ohana!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #687
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I totally and completely get what you mean about the Poly reminding you of the Brady Bunch!!!

Yay for Ohana!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #688
monica23535
DIS Veteran

Great update Marissa! I love the Polynesian resort and I love Ohana so can't wait for the next update
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #689
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

awe u musta been so stoked O'hana is not the easiest to get into,it's not a fave of mine but i know alot of ppl like it

Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #690
beachphotog
Pass me a margarita

Can't wait to hear what you thought about Ohana! I really, really, really, like a hundred times really wanna eat there!!

Also, I know what you mean about the Polynesian and the Brady Bunch! The stairs totally have that feel!

Follow me on twitter: @beachphotog
And on Instagram: smk31

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: