Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Bowen9475
DIS Veteran

A Little Bummed Out By Southwest

We are a family of 5 flying this summer Boston to Nashville. I had bought one way tickets two weeks ago. A few days later the price went down a total of $40 so I got the credit. Today the price was down a total of $310 so I got this credit and wanted to use it to buy our tickets for the other way. It was all under one confirmation number but broken down into 2 credits per person for a total of 10 credits. I was hoping to be able to book all 5 tickets together, use the entire $310 and get one confirmation number. Instead, in order to use all 10 credits, I had to book 5 one ways and we now have 5 different confirmation numbers. This bummed me out a little bit

Now a question. If I want to make any other changes (possibly Nashville to Orlando and then Orlando to Boston) will each person now have 3 credits or do they all become one? Hope this makes sense.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

Sorry that you're bummed out that you got a credit and that you could use it. Try flying a legacy airline like United. No air credit except on super expensive non refundable tickets, $200-$300 per ticket change fees, and baggage fees. Then you really feel shafted.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Have to agree with pp. SW is very accomodating with credits. No other airline comes close.
eeyoresmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

if you fly SWA often enough - even once a year, it might pay to use rapid rewards (using their CC helps the points add up quickly).
unlike monetary bookings, RR points are deposited back into your account, without person specific restrictions or expiration (as long as you have activity to keep the acct active).

booking and rebooking using RR points is soooo much easier (we've had the same situation as you in the past when using "cash" - it can get a little heart-racing checking everyone in at 24 hours, kinda like sniping on ebay)

always try to book initially at a price you consider reasonable, and if can't use the credit from rebooking, it doesn't hurt so bad.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Bowen9475
DIS Veteran

We do fly Southwest, almost exclusively, usually a couple times a year. We do belong to Rapid Rewards and have their credit card. We have flown several times on points. I just assumed that when all 5 travelers were on one confirmation number and the only change made was to the price, that the credit would stay as one lump sum. I did not realize that after two prices drops, it would be broken down into 10 different credits. I had hoped to book the other flight with the credit and have us all be on the same confirmation number but instead ended up with 5 different confirmation numbers. This is why I am "a little bummed".
Old 05-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen9475 View Post
We do fly Southwest, almost exclusively, usually a couple times a year. We do belong to Rapid Rewards and have their credit card. We have flown several times on points. I just assumed that when all 5 travelers were on one confirmation number and the only change made was to the price, that the credit would stay as one lump sum. I did not realize that after two prices drops, it would be broken down into 10 different credits. I had hoped to book the other flight with the credit and have us all be on the same confirmation number but instead ended up with 5 different confirmation numbers. This is why I am "a little bummed".
This is because the credits are attached to each person's name individually. You can't lump them together and they can't be used by anyone else.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I guess its easier for them to keep track.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 05-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
M&C
SSR 06

If the price of the ticket goes down, you can get a refund/credit? I did not know that. Can someone please explain to me how this works?

So glad I read this thread. I might learn a thing or two!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&C View Post
If the price of the ticket goes down, you can get a refund/credit? I did not know that. Can someone please explain to me how this works?

So glad I read this thread. I might learn a thing or two!
For SW it is a very simple process. If you book a flight for $100 and then a month later you see the flight is only $70 you call and they will give you a credit of $30 that you can use for future flights ( you have a year to use the credit).
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895 View Post

For SW it is a very simple process. If you book a flight for $100 and then a month later you see the flight is only $70 you call and they will give you a credit of $30 that you can use for future flights ( you have a year to use the credit).
To be precise, for wanna get away fares, you will receive a credit with southwest, not a refund to you in cash, check, or to your credit card. The entire value of the credit must be used within a year of when the original reservation was made, not the original date of travel. If there are multiple people on the reservation, each person receives their own credit, and it is not transferable. To anyone. If you combine credits from multiple cancelled flights, the amalgamated credit inherits the earliest expiration date. Travel must be completed by that date, and any future cancellation of that ticket will also have that date.
SteveMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer

Call SWA Reservations and they should be able to put all 5 reservations under one. You just can't do it on-line
jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
M&C
SSR 06

Awesome, thank you! I just don't know how to do multiple quotes and gave up on that one.

I'll have to look at the rates on SW!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMouse View Post
To be precise, for wanna get away fares, you will receive a credit with southwest, not a refund to you in cash, check, or to your credit card. The entire value of the credit must be used within a year of when the original reservation was made, not the original date of travel. If there are multiple people on the reservation, each person receives their own credit, and it is not transferable. To anyone. If you combine credits from multiple cancelled flights, the amalgamated credit inherits the earliest expiration date. Travel must be completed by that date, and any future cancellation of that ticket will also have that date.
Great explanation.

Can you explain how it works with points? I have a RR account and DH does not. We use the SWA Visa (I am the primary account holder and he is a cardholder) and we have about 55,000 points. If I book 2 R/T on points and the "price" drops, I understand that the credits will be refunded back. Since DH does not have a RR account, would they go back into my account? Also, do any refunded credits then have an expiration?

I'm curious because the flights for our November trip will be released tomorrow and I am chomping at the bit to book them. If there is a price drop, I would prefer the credits to expire later than sooner so perhaps I do not want to book this early. I am new to SWA as they are starting service here in GRR in August. I've always flown AT or Delta so this is unfamiliar territory.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: