Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
cinderella'smommy
Mouseketeer
 
cinderella'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 184

Old Nikon D40 vs. New Nikon D3100

Hi, I am in a bit of a dilemma about whether to upgrade my perfectly fine but old D40 to a newer, but still entry level D3100. I get more megapixels, and video w/ the D3100; and its on sale and pretty inexpensive right now.

But, my D40 still works pretty well, but the focus is starting to be a bit off. I am not super well trained on using all the features, but every once in a while, I get a really nice shot. I also really love the fast shutter speed, so I am willing to get another DSLR.

Just wondering if its wasteful to get another entry level; or should wait to upgrade, but then I think if I don't fully access the features on my current camera, why would I do it on a more expensive, but completely unnecessary upgraded camera.

I just sorta think that the new camera will perform better; so it might be worth it just for that, plus I get video and more megapixels. I guess I have a problem wrapping my head around the fact that all these digital cameras are not intended to be around for the long haul; I spent more on the D40 six years ago!

Any thoughts are very much welcome!

__________________
First Trip to Disney--January 2009
Went back again for free dining in October 2009!!
April 2011 for WDW and a Disney Cruise on the Dream!
April 2012 at the Dolphin
January 2013 at the Swan
Oh, my. I think we're headed to POP. June 2015

FIVE trips in four years!



cinderella'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.
 
photo_chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4,942

Like all things tech related digital cameras do become outdated. They're not like film cameras where we can just pop the latest film in them. When technology moves forward on sensors we have to get a whole new camera to take advantage of that. The gain in ISO range and performance from the D40 to a current entry level model would be worth the price to me.
__________________
Danielle

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran
 
Gianna'sPapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Elgin, Il.
Posts: 3,813

First, I'm not a Nikon shooter. This past year I did upgrade from a 2006 era camera body to the latest my manufacturer produced. It was like night and day. I didn't think the leap would be as great as it was! For Nikon, the 3100 has recently been replaced by the 3200. That is why you are seeing the lower costs as retailers try to sellout their inventories. Many times that is a good time to buy if you are not concerned about the latest and greatest. Below is a comparison from dpreview.com of the three cameras. Everything really depends on your budget and the features you require. Good luck with your research.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...ding:lovestruc
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?
 
Pea-n-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 22,423

Buy the new one and keep the old one as a backup camera. Or on a day that you don't want to switch lenes, use the two.
__________________



Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran
 
Gianna'sPapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Elgin, Il.
Posts: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Buy the new one and keep the old one as a backup camera. Or on a day that you don't want to switch lenes, use the two.
That is exactly what I do. Quite often I will use my faster lenses on the older body because I don't have the ISO range that I do with the newer one. On the newer camera, I can boost the ISO to obtain the same exposure with the slower lenses. It gives me a lot flexibility. The only issue was how to carry both cameras at once economically! That was solved when I got a deal on a second BR strap and purchased the CoupleR straps. That allowed me to turn my two RS-4 straps into a two camera rig. I love flexibility!!
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
cbombard
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella'smommy
Hi, I am in a bit of a dilemma about whether to upgrade my perfectly fine but old D40 to a newer, but still entry level D3100. I get more megapixels, and video w/ the D3100; and its on sale and pretty inexpensive right now.

But, my D40 still works pretty well, but the focus is starting to be a bit off. I am not super well trained on using all the features, but every once in a while, I get a really nice shot. I also really love the fast shutter speed, so I am willing to get another DSLR.

Just wondering if its wasteful to get another entry level; or should wait to upgrade, but then I think if I don't fully access the features on my current camera, why would I do it on a more expensive, but completely unnecessary upgraded camera.

I just sorta think that the new camera will perform better; so it might be worth it just for that, plus I get video and more megapixels. I guess I have a problem wrapping my head around the fact that all these digital cameras are not intended to be around for the long haul; I spent more on the D40 six years ago!

Any thoughts are very much welcome!

I sold my D40 last fall for $300 with the 18-55 lens. I opted for the D5100. Love it.. I think the video is over rated in my opinion. You have to be in live mode which really sucks down your battery faster than I would have thought. It might be me but the auto focus for video stinks. Love the camera otherwise.
cbombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
cinderella'smommy
Mouseketeer
 
cinderella'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 184

Thanks!

Thanks for your input, everyone! I feel much better about the purchase (I actually have already made the purchase, but was suffering from buyer's remorse). I will definitely keep the camera; although I don't think it will be possible for me to add another camera to the mix when we travel. I currently have a point and shoot; a waterproof; a video camera; and a DSLR---I really can't bring two!

Thanks again, everyone!
__________________
First Trip to Disney--January 2009
Went back again for free dining in October 2009!!
April 2011 for WDW and a Disney Cruise on the Dream!
April 2012 at the Dolphin
January 2013 at the Swan
Oh, my. I think we're headed to POP. June 2015

FIVE trips in four years!



cinderella'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
SunDial
Where Are The Umbrella Hats
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 12,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella'smommy View Post
Thanks for your input, everyone! I feel much better about the purchase (I actually have already made the purchase, but was suffering from buyer's remorse). I will definitely keep the camera; although I don't think it will be possible for me to add another camera to the mix when we travel. I currently have a point and shoot; a waterproof; a video camera; and a DSLR---I really can't bring two!

Thanks again, everyone!
I still shoot with a D40. I went the other way and picked up good glass and the pics show it. Now eventually i will get a new body but for now i am quite happy with the results.
__________________
Ed 4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions
SunDial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 AM   #9
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran
 
Gianna'sPapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Elgin, Il.
Posts: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDial View Post
I still shoot with a D40. I went the other way and picked up good glass and the pics show it. Now eventually i will get a new body but for now i am quite happy with the results.
There's nothing wrong with older camera bodies. Just because the manufacturers come up with something new, doesn't mean the older one's stop taking great images. I followed the same path by purchasing better glass then upgrading the body, but keeping the old one for sure. The CCD sensor, while it does not not work as well in lowlight as the newer CMOS, has a quality that can't be topped. In certain situations, I still reach for the older camera because there is a "look" that only it can provide. That camera gives me another option. Whereas most photography is a compromise to something, the more options/flexibility you have the more likely it is that you will "get the shot"!
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: