Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #1216
LJD2143
DIS Veteran & DVC Member
 
LJD2143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 1,639

I just have to say "I love this thread!"

We have a mere 26 days until our first stay at Beach Club Villas and I just love how active this thread is! I look forward to catching up on the latest BC/YC news every day. Especially all of the Live Reports - keep 'em comin!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

P.S. for those of you posting with the Disboards app from an iPad, how do you attach smilies?
__________________
~Laurie~
1976 Contemporary 1978 Ft. Wilderness 1979 Polynesian 1980 Ft. Wilderness 1981 Ft. Wilderness
1982 Ft. Wilderness 1983 Ft. Wilderness 1987 Contemporary 1993 Off-Site 1996 Off-Site 1997 Wilderness Lodge
2000 Wilderness Lodge 2006 Polynesian 2007 Polynesian 2008 Polynesian/Disney Wonder 2009 Grand Floridian SugarLoaf
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2011 Bay Lake Tower 2012 Boardwalk Villas 2012 Beach Club Villas 2013 Boardwalk Villas 2014 Aulani 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas

Last edited by LJD2143; 08-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.
LJD2143 is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #1217
padawans
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
I'm not a pessimist. I'm not going to complain about it ruining my vacation.
But somehow, I don't think seeing the Presidential Suite, filled with lounge furniture, to be such a big deal. It's just a large suite of rooms (you can find pics and video on the internet). It's not like you're touring the White House.
If its a lengthy rehab, I assume they moved out the "presidential furnishings" so it's just a big suite of rooms filled with club lounge furniture.

I'm not being a pessimist. It will probably be "fine.".
But to me, the only issue is whether it is serviceable as a club lounge. If its too small and packed to grab breakfast in the morning, then I'll be upset. I won't care that I'm stepping on a carpet where celebrities walked.
I'm kind of like you. I was not impressed with YC cl. I went back and forth between BC CL and BW CL. I finally settled on BC Cl. Unfortunately BW CL is not available anymore. I am skeptical about Bc Cl to start with so this may just be the icing on the cake. The Gym and the constuction around the pool are not what I was hoping for. If I was a diehard BC lover I guess it wouldn't matter, but I like the BW just as much if not more than BC so I'm a little bummed about the changes.
padawans is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #1218
333disneymom
DIS Veteran
 
333disneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD2143
I just have to say "I love this thread!"

We have a mere 26 days until our first stay at Beach Club Villas and I just love how active this thread is! I look forward to catching up on the latest BC/YC news every day. Especially all of the Live Reports - keep 'em comin!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

P.S. for those of you posting with the Disboards app from an iPad, how do you attach smilies?
The same way you do a smile on Facebook.
__________________
333disneymom is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #1219
LJD2143
DIS Veteran & DVC Member
 
LJD2143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 1,639

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom

The same way you do a smile on Facebook.




:D

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
~Laurie~
1976 Contemporary 1978 Ft. Wilderness 1979 Polynesian 1980 Ft. Wilderness 1981 Ft. Wilderness
1982 Ft. Wilderness 1983 Ft. Wilderness 1987 Contemporary 1993 Off-Site 1996 Off-Site 1997 Wilderness Lodge
2000 Wilderness Lodge 2006 Polynesian 2007 Polynesian 2008 Polynesian/Disney Wonder 2009 Grand Floridian SugarLoaf
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2011 Bay Lake Tower 2012 Boardwalk Villas 2012 Beach Club Villas 2013 Boardwalk Villas 2014 Aulani 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas
LJD2143 is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #1220
mistysue
DIS Veteran
 
mistysue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,747

I'm sorry I'm even bringing this up- but is it a regular problem that the lifeguards change the pool rules every time they switch spots? I know it may be an odd question but we had an extremely frustrating situation come up this morning.
My 3 year old wanted to go on the big slide. I told him he can't go because I wasn't going. The lifeguard then told him that of course he could... great. So I run over, watch him go up the stairs and wait at the bottom of the slide for him to get down. Repeat about 10 times. This is where it got bad. He started saying how he wants me to catch him. Of course, you can't wait in the white part at the end of the slide, which I know. I say this and the new lifeguard tells me to go ahead and stand there- right in front of him! Now I have a three year old who "knows the rules" and I'm the jerk if I don't do it. So I watch him run over to the stairs and I get down in the water (he was the only one up there). He doesn't show up. Another minute passes. Then a new lifeguard takes that spot and yells at me to get out of the water. So I hop out and start going to the slide to figure out what's going on.
Now I can overhear the lifeguards at the top of the slide talking about how you can't let a kid that small go up alone (like I said in the first place!) and discussing with themselves for a minute how it's not safe with the tone that comes across as obviously I am a crappy mom. Then I get a talk about how he can't be alone and it's not just them but other guests are worried that I was letting him hang out on the beach alone... except I've been watching him run directly to the slide.
I was actually angry and upset enough that I was crying. I told him he couldn't go and they told him right in front of me that he could, then I did what the lifeguard told me to do and got yelled at for doing it, then I got to hear them insult my parenting and lecture me for doing exactly what they told us to do. It put a big damper on a chunk of my afternoon because they said a few things they thought I couldn't hear (ended with "oh, is that HER?") and once they knew I was upset enough I was crying nobody even tried to apologize or say anything to me they just acted like I wasn't there. It was actually really depressing. Only time I've been at Disney world really wishing I was home.

Is it kind of just me on this one? Are they mean to other people or am I just that lucky? Most of that can be brushed off as just misunderstandings, but I'm still upset by the part where my parenting was being judged because I let my child do what they told him he could. I understand that they are trying to be accommodating and help him have fun- but why, when a parent says "you can't go because you're too small" would you say "oh, no, you should go!" to the child?!? I know they are training new people this week, but could they have put me in a more awkward position? I wish I could tell you I was making it up.

Other than that we've loved the pool, I'm just making my husband watch the kids because I'm too sensitive to play around people who I feel like pick on me. We've been sad the wind has gotten in the way of campfires, but that happens.
__________________
Me(33) DH(32) DD(10) DS(5) DS(3)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #1221
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315

Thank you Kristy. Hope you had a nice trip.
Any idea how long the refurb is?

I know seating in the regular lounge isn't that plentiful, would you say there is similar amount of seating in the temp lounge, or even less?
Having been fortunate to stay in that room recently, I don't think the main area (foyer, dining room, living room) is much smaller than the lounge, depending on what they do relative to the furniture set up. I assume they would not be using the bedrooms and the small room that had a desk and a daybed in it, but someone who's there will have to report.

After I posted, I realized that I didn't look back far enough to see if that was about the BC or the YC. Sorry! I have BC brain when I'm on this thread. So if that wasn't about BC, my post will be irrelevant.
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #1222
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Ninja Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,039

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
I'm sorry I'm even bringing this up- but is it a regular problem that the lifeguards change the pool rules every time they switch spots? I know it may be an odd question but we had an extremely frustrating situation come up this morning.
My 3 year old wanted to go on the big slide. I told him he can't go because I wasn't going. The lifeguard then told him that of course he could... great. So I run over, watch him go up the stairs and wait at the bottom of the slide for him to get down. Repeat about 10 times. This is where it got bad. He started saying how he wants me to catch him. Of course, you can't wait in the white part at the end of the slide, which I know. I say this and the new lifeguard tells me to go ahead and stand there- right in front of him! Now I have a three year old who "knows the rules" and I'm the jerk if I don't do it. So I watch him run over to the stairs and I get down in the water (he was the only one up there). He doesn't show up. Another minute passes. Then a new lifeguard takes that spot and yells at me to get out of the water. So I hop out and start going to the slide to figure out what's going on.
Now I can overhear the lifeguards at the top of the slide talking about how you can't let a kid that small go up alone (like I said in the first place!) and discussing with themselves for a minute how it's not safe with the tone that comes across as obviously I am a crappy mom. Then I get a talk about how he can't be alone and it's not just them but other guests are worried that I was letting him hang out on the beach alone... except I've been watching him run directly to the slide.
I was actually angry and upset enough that I was crying. I told him he couldn't go and they told him right in front of me that he could, then I did what the lifeguard told me to do and got yelled at for doing it, then I got to hear them insult my parenting and lecture me for doing exactly what they told us to do. It put a big damper on a chunk of my afternoon because they said a few things they thought I couldn't hear (ended with "oh, is that HER?") and once they knew I was upset enough I was crying nobody even tried to apologize or say anything to me they just acted like I wasn't there. It was actually really depressing. Only time I've been at Disney world really wishing I was home.

Is it kind of just me on this one? Are they mean to other people or am I just that lucky? Most of that can be brushed off as just misunderstandings, but I'm still upset by the part where my parenting was being judged because I let my child do what they told him he could. I understand that they are trying to be accommodating and help him have fun- but why, when a parent says "you can't go because you're too small" would you say "oh, no, you should go!" to the child?!? I know they are training new people this week, but could they have put me in a more awkward position? I wish I could tell you I was making it up.

Other than that we've loved the pool, I'm just making my husband watch the kids because I'm too sensitive to play around people who I feel like pick on me. We've been sad the wind has gotten in the way of campfires, but that happens.
The problem here is that the STAFF is not on the same page with the rules. I would ask to speak with the recreation manager and let that person know of the difficulties you encountered with the first life guard not knowing the rules of the pool. Also, the manager especially needs to be told about the attitude that was demonstrated by the staff when they changed positions and discovered the error. You should also talk about your concerns about how they treated you.

Clearly there are a couple of CM's at the pool who need retraining. The first CM needs to know the appropriate safety rules and the other CM's need to learn how to deal professionally with guests when problems pop up. The disrespectful attitude they demonstrated toward you is completely unacceptable.

It's not too late to talk to the Recreation manager at the pool about this. I think it would be a good investment of your time and it may help other people who will experience this problem again in the future if everybody is not on the same page.

The purpose of the CM's at the pool is to ensure guest safety and assist the guests in a positive and helpful manner. The fact that you sought guidance and were told the wrong thing is not your fault! We depend on the CM's to provide accurate information. The fact that the other CM's demonstrated an unprofessional attitude toward you is also unacceptable. Be sure to mention that to the manager and if possible try to identify the perpetrators so the manager knows exactly who to talk to.

Good luck and stop feeling bad about your role in this. You depended upon the guidance of the staff and they let you down. It's not your fault! Have a great vacation and remember, just because you are surrounded by turkeys doesn't mean you are wearing feathers too.

~NM
__________________
Ninja Mom is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #1223
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)
 
mariamouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 1,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom

The problem here is that the STAFF is not on the same page with the rules. I would ask to speak with the recreation manager and let that person know of the difficulties you encountered with the first life guard not knowing the rules of the pool. Also, the manager especially needs to be told about the attitude that was demonstrated by the staff when they changed positions and discovered the error. You should also talk about your concerns about how they treated you.

Clearly there are a couple of CM's at the pool who need retraining. The first CM needs to know the appropriate safety rules and the other CM's need to learn how to deal professionally with guests when problems pop up. The disrespectful attitude they demonstrated toward you is completely unacceptable.

It's not too late to talk to the Recreation manager at the pool about this. I think it would be a good investment of your time and it may help other people who will experience this problem again in the future if everybody is not on the same page.

The purpose of the CM's at the pool is to ensure guest safety and assist the guests in a positive and helpful manner. The fact that you sought guidance and were told the wrong thing is not your fault! We depend on the CM's to provide accurate information. The fact that the other CM's demonstrated an unprofessional attitude toward you is also unacceptable. Be sure to mention that to the manager and if possible try to identify the perpetrators so the manager knows exactly who to talk to.

Good luck and stop feeling bad about your role in this. You depended upon the guidance of the staff and they let you down. It's not your fault! Have a great vacation and remember, just because you are surrounded by turkeys doesn't mean you are wearing feathers too.

~NM
Fantastic response!

I could not agree more. Please try to not let it impact the rest of your trip too much!
__________________
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #1224
catho72
DIS Veteran
 
catho72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: outside Chicago
Posts: 1,391

Hello everyone!

I LOVE hearing the live reports. I have to live vicariously thru you since we have no set plans to go back!

Sorry to those who have all of the construction happening during their stay. It sounds like the BC version of FLE....

I look at our pics and pics from the Y&B Club photo thread and am completely amazed at the emotions they invoke.....pure love! Honestly, I can say I've never had a reaction to a hotel like this....one stay and I'm completely hooked! If I was in HS (high school, not MGM!), back in my day the term would be "whipped". Oh jeez, I just dated myself...

See ya!
__________________
Me : DH DD 15 DS 13 DD 11

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay



catho72 is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #1225
Angel16
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Mouseketeer
 
Angel16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way out West
Posts: 2,209

We are so looking forward to a first for us in our WDW visits. Our first Epcot resort, Beach Club stay, we will be there in less than a month. We are booked in a standard CL room. I am not going to worry in advance of our arrival about all the "what if's" regarding the rehab. I do have a couple of thoughts/questions.

1. If this lounge rehab is one where they are knocking out walls and enlarging the entire lounge then it will be much bigger then if they are just putting in new carpet, paint and some reorganizing. Perhaps some of CM's might have an idea? After all they are the ones having to make the new location work and keep guests happy.

2. Does anyone know did they start to replace the carpeting throughout the resort yet? I can't imagine that Disney doesn't have a plan for each floor. They certainly won't be carpeting a room while a guest is staying in it.

I hope that more people will be able to share their thoughts on the Presidential suite and how it is functioning. I'm sure there will be some hiccups in the beginning.

We all have recently read reviews that Beach Club was looking worn in places and needed to be refreshed. So now they are doing that and we all love that they are making the necessary improvements, but are not happy if it happens during our vacation.

Angel16
__________________
1973,1974-Poly, 2004-Pop, SOG & AKL CL, Sept/Oct 2005 Poly & AKL CL, Holidays 2006 Poly CL, AKL CL Oct 2010 SOG, GF SL, AKL CL, Oct 2012 SOG, BC CL, AKL CL
Angel16 is offline  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #1226
Welcome Home
Note to self: Disney magic is a given but everyday joy is a choice.
 
Welcome Home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 76

I called the BC IPO today to ask about the refurbishments. I was told the Presidential Suite would only be used for 2 days while they replaced the carpet in the lounge. The gym will be in the Solarium until mid-November.
__________________
Sept 04 WLV, May 05 WLV, Sept 05 BWV,
May 06 BWV, May 08 AKL and BCV, May 09 BC,
Dec 09 GF, Aug 10 SoG, May 11 Poly, Sept 11 WL, Sept 12, BC
Welcome Home is offline  
Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #1227
jakeybake
DIS Veteran
 
jakeybake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 955

The CL move to the Presidential Suite is only a quick one. The new carpet is already installed in the original lounge and from what I was told they will be moving back there tomorrow. No worries for anyone coming down and staying in CL.

I agree with a previous poster that yesterday morning was a bit confusing there but by mid-day all was well. They have the same amount of seating just spread out in a weird way given the space.

It's back to the lounge for me in a few. This is our last day so depression has really set in!! At least we have a late flight (8:55 pm) back to Boston and have a rental car so we can maximize our last day.

Also, every single CM we has encountered here at the BC has been wonderful. They couldn't have been nicer and more helpful!

Almost back to reality

Jay
__________________
I always have a Disney World trip booked so I can wake up every single day and say, "One day closer to our Disney trip!"
jakeybake is online now  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #1228
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMomx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton Square, NJ
Posts: 11,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
I'm sorry I'm even bringing this up- but is it a regular problem that the lifeguards change the pool rules every time they switch spots? I know it may be an odd question but we had an extremely frustrating situation come up this morning.
My 3 year old wanted to go on the big slide. I told him he can't go because I wasn't going. The lifeguard then told him that of course he could... great. So I run over, watch him go up the stairs and wait at the bottom of the slide for him to get down. Repeat about 10 times. This is where it got bad. He started saying how he wants me to catch him. Of course, you can't wait in the white part at the end of the slide, which I know. I say this and the new lifeguard tells me to go ahead and stand there- right in front of him! Now I have a three year old who "knows the rules" and I'm the jerk if I don't do it. So I watch him run over to the stairs and I get down in the water (he was the only one up there). He doesn't show up. Another minute passes. Then a new lifeguard takes that spot and yells at me to get out of the water. So I hop out and start going to the slide to figure out what's going on.
Now I can overhear the lifeguards at the top of the slide talking about how you can't let a kid that small go up alone (like I said in the first place!) and discussing with themselves for a minute how it's not safe with the tone that comes across as obviously I am a crappy mom. Then I get a talk about how he can't be alone and it's not just them but other guests are worried that I was letting him hang out on the beach alone... except I've been watching him run directly to the slide.
I was actually angry and upset enough that I was crying. I told him he couldn't go and they told him right in front of me that he could, then I did what the lifeguard told me to do and got yelled at for doing it, then I got to hear them insult my parenting and lecture me for doing exactly what they told us to do. It put a big damper on a chunk of my afternoon because they said a few things they thought I couldn't hear (ended with "oh, is that HER?") and once they knew I was upset enough I was crying nobody even tried to apologize or say anything to me they just acted like I wasn't there. It was actually really depressing. Only time I've been at Disney world really wishing I was home.

Is it kind of just me on this one? Are they mean to other people or am I just that lucky? Most of that can be brushed off as just misunderstandings, but I'm still upset by the part where my parenting was being judged because I let my child do what they told him he could. I understand that they are trying to be accommodating and help him have fun- but why, when a parent says "you can't go because you're too small" would you say "oh, no, you should go!" to the child?!? I know they are training new people this week, but could they have put me in a more awkward position? I wish I could tell you I was making it up.

Other than that we've loved the pool, I'm just making my husband watch the kids because I'm too sensitive to play around people who I feel like pick on me. We've been sad the wind has gotten in the way of campfires, but that happens.
The lifeguard who told you that you could "catch" your son at the bottom was definitely wrong.

I think you might have misunderstood the other thing - perhaps the lifeguard was saying your son could definitely go down the slide but that didn't mean he could walk up the stairway alone. I would have been extremely nervous watching a three year old navigate the stairs to the big slide alone. Maybe they meant he could go down the slide, but you would need to take him to the top of the stairs.

I would be much more comfortable with a three year old going down the small "pirate ship" slde. Have you tried that one?

Hope you feel better about the rest of your trip.
__________________
Robyn

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is online now  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #1229
MickeyT
DIS Veteran
 
MickeyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Flopeye, SC
Posts: 1,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
The problem here is that the STAFF is not on the same page with the rules. I would ask to speak with the recreation manager and let that person know of the difficulties you encountered with the first life guard not knowing the rules of the pool. Also, the manager especially needs to be told about the attitude that was demonstrated by the staff when they changed positions and discovered the error. You should also talk about your concerns about how they treated you.
~NM
Thanks ~NM. Great response.

mistysue. You absolutely need to speak with the recreation manager.Sounds like there were mistakes on several different levels.
__________________
Sorry Mickey. Sorry Mickey. Sorry Mickey.

MickeyT is offline  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #1230
lilasmom
DIS Veteran
 
lilasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 516

Can someone there now please answer a question, is there any noise by the lazy river due to the HH refurb ?
lilasmom is online now  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: