Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #1546
barbliny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post

~NM
NM Update: My Mom is in the ICU with a blood clot on the lung, She just had two units of blood on Friday and her counts are low so something is up with that as well. I spent 6 hours at the house with her yesterday and then that night she tanked. I just really don't know what to say at this point. Her suffering is unreal. She smoked for years and I was so proud of her when after a mighty struggle she was finally able to give it up. After trying a million things, the one that really worked for her was a medication called Chantix. I consider that a miracle drug because it broke the addiction. If you are smoking and you are ready to quit please consider seeing your doctor and asking for help. There are things out there that can really help. I know how hard it is to quit because I watched my mom try for years so no judgement here. I just have love and encouragement to offer to those that want to try.
NM ...

I am so sorry for what you are going through ... if you want PM me and I can give you more info or simply be a sympathetic ear ...

My family has unfortunately had way too much experience with smoking and it's aftermath ...

I can honestly say I've seen all sides of the coin -- I won't go into it here ...

I wish you and your family peace in any and all days and the decisions those days bring

Last edited by barbliny; 09-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #1547
MickeyT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom

~NM
Prayers for you and your family ~ NM.........

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #1548
natebenma
DIS Veteran

~NM: So sorry for everything your mom, and your family, is going through right now.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #1549
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Where in the World was Flat Ben yesterday???

Why, at HS, of course.

If you want to see the pictures from yesterday's adventures click on the link in my signature.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #1550
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Prayers for you and your family, NM...
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #1551
georgiasmom
Mouseketeer

It seems cruel to come home to the remnants of Isaac after standing in the Isaac rain at HS last week.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #1552
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

NM - your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #1553
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel16 View Post
Thank you both for the posting about the laundry area. I am sorry you both had much less then stellar experiences due to other guests. Goodness some people are really full of themselves aren't they! Life is too short to get that upset over something so small.

Do I need quarters for the washer and dryer? How much does it cost to do a load of laundry? Thank you so much for help.

Angel16
Washers and dryers both took quarters - $2.00 each load. I bring my own quarters because the change machine runs out a lot. I brought Tide pods (suitable for HE machines) with me.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #1554
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
NM Update: My Mom is in the ICU with a blood clot on the lung, She just had two units of blood on Friday and her counts are low so something is up with that as well. I spent 6 hours at the house with her yesterday and then that night she tanked. I just really don't know what to say at this point. Her suffering is unreal. She smoked for years and I was so proud of her when after a mighty struggle she was finally able to give it up. After trying a million things, the one that really worked for her was a medication called Chantix. I consider that a miracle drug because it broke the addiction. If you are smoking and you are ready to quit please consider seeing your doctor and asking for help. There are things out there that can really help. I know how hard it is to quit because I watched my mom try for years so no judgement here. I just have love and encouragement to offer to those that want to try.
Thank you for sharing this. My own mother was finally able to quit smoking a couple years ago after batteling lung cancer. It was a very difficult time and I begged my husband to quit. He still hasn't been able to. He doesn't smoke as much as my mother did or even as much as he used to, but we still hope he quits soon. I will talk to him about Chantix. He has quit before, but he's always started up again. And I can't understand what triggers it. He says he wants to quit, so maybe Chantix will do the trick.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #1555
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
Thank you for sharing this. My own mother was finally able to quit smoking a couple years ago after batteling lung cancer. It was a very difficult time and I begged my husband to quit. He still hasn't been able to. He doesn't smoke as much as my mother did or even as much as he used to, but we still hope he quits soon. I will talk to him about Chantix. He has quit before, but he's always started up again. And I can't understand what triggers it. He says he wants to quit, so maybe Chantix will do the trick.
My husband was a three pack a day smoker for over 50 years and Chantix got him smoke free ... it's a miracle drug!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #1556
gr8vthsfam
Mouseketeer

Hi;
You can add us to the Be Our Guest List! Dec 13-16 YC CL after our GF anniversary stay and Dream cruise - BIG trip and this is the last leg!

I do have a question I hope someone can help me with: I am having knee trouble and will need to minimize my walking. What would the best location to request for closeness to SAB entrance with the construction happening then? Will that be close to the lobby as well as the CL lounge? We will be staying YC CL. Thanks!
I presume the noodles are already spoken for during our dates?

WDL '78
WDW '94
WDW '98 CBR
WDW '01 GF
WDW '06 GF
WDW '12 GF
DCL '12 Dream
WDW '12 YC
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #1557
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
My husband was a three pack a day smoker for over 50 years and Chantix got him smoke free ... it's a miracle drug!
I'm pretty sure our doctor mentioned it to him when we went for our checkups earlier this year. And he did comment again the other day that he wants to quit. So I have hope!

Thank you NM and Teena for your input!

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #1558
Katesdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8vthsfam View Post
I am having knee trouble and will need to minimize my walking. What would the best location to request for closeness to SAB entrance with the construction happening then?
Get close to lobby / elevator. That should take care of it! Hope the knee trouble doesn't get in the way of a great time at the World. Happy planning.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #1559
gr8vthsfam
Mouseketeer

Thanks katesdad; is that anywhere near the lounge too? Where is the lounge located on the 5th floor?

It is a bummer about my knee. I was thrown off my daughters pony several months ago - we have a new pony now -and I tore my acl and have some nerve damage. I was hoping that the doctors could get it fixed by December as it happened last April, but it is not looking positive at the moment. I am hoping that I will be able to withstand all the walking I want to do, but need to plan for the likelyhood, that I will be in some discomfort on our trip. I am sure all the magic will help it fade into the background though! So excited for this trip!

WDL '78
WDW '94
WDW '98 CBR
WDW '01 GF
WDW '06 GF
WDW '12 GF
DCL '12 Dream
WDW '12 YC
Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1560
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
... I will talk to him about Chantix. He has quit before, but he's always started up again. And I can't understand what triggers it. He says he wants to quit, so maybe Chantix will do the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
I'll just add that my BIL smoked @ least 2 packs a day for decades, quit several times and started again - until Chantix, which did the trick. He's been smoke free for over 6 years. I've read about possible side effects, but all I noticed was he was grumpier than he used to be for awhile. He reported that he had very vivid dreams. As all former smokers do, he put on weight when he quit, but he's now walking and the weight has pretty much gone. I thought he'd never quit - but Chantix worked for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8vthsfam View Post
Hi;
You can add us to the Be Our Guest List! Dec 13-16 YC CL after our GF anniversary stay and Dream cruise - BIG trip and this is the last leg!

I do have a question I hope someone can help me with: I am having knee trouble and will need to minimize my walking. What would the best location to request for closeness to SAB entrance with the construction happening then? Will that be close to the lobby as well as the CL lounge? We will be staying YC CL. Thanks!
I presume the noodles are already spoken for during our dates?
What we did w/ my mom was on those days when she was too tired to hike a lot (such as Epcot days - which is a huge park) she'd rent a scooter @ the front of the park (by the stroller rentals.) I think it was $50 or $60 a day, but she only needed it on a few days. The really convenient thing was that she could check it back in as she left the park, hop a bus or whatever to another park, and pick up a new scooter there as the rental is good for the whole day. She liked it as she didn't have to mess with loading it on and off buses and it allowed her to do more things than she otherwise would have been up for.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: