Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Tech Guru's - Need your help

Dh and I need your help. We have smart phones with unlimited data, is there a way to link into it (with a laptop) instead of a hotels link. In places, like Vegas, the internet charge is rediculous but we need to access our laptops for business (our own). Just hate paying $14 a day for it.

Any suggestions for using our data plan on our smart phones and link that to our laptops?

I thought I had read something about that possiblity, but I could be dreaming.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
ukwildcat
Will always bleed blue. GO CATS!!!

It's called tethering, and I believe most major carriers offer it. It's an extra monthly cost, and you share your monthly data with another device. Ask your phone carrier about it.

Numerous Off-Site Trips as a Child to Disneyland/WDW March 1999 - Off-Site Marriot Orlando World Center March 2000 - Coronado Springs (engagement trip) August 2000 - Dixie Landings March 2005 - Coronado Springs May 2005 - Carribean Beach May 2005 - Shades of Green June 2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge August 2005 - Wilderness Lodge November 2005 - Yacht Club April 2006 - POR June 2006 - Polynesian July 2006 - Yacht Club August 2006 - All Star Sports September 2006 - Wilderness LodgeJuly 2007 - Yacht ClubAugust 2007 - Beach Club VillasOctober 2007 - Saratoga Springs/Beach Club VillasDecember 2007 - Polynesian

Me DW DS DD
ukwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

If you have AT&T iPhones with the grandfathered unlimited data, you can't do it without losing your unlimited data. I looked into it when they first allowed tethering on AT&T and that was the case. It's possible that changed, but that was true then.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Didn't realize different carrier's would make a difference. We have T-mobile, unlimited data. For some reason I thought there was some kind of app that would make it possible. Hmmm, possibly a dream.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

On Android, there was an app called "PdaNet", that would turn the phone into a hotspot. I don't know if the carriers have gotten wise to it and blocked it.

I think there was a free version, but it didn't permit HTTPS (secured) connections.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
On Android, there was an app called "PdaNet", that would turn the phone into a hotspot. I don't know if the carriers have gotten wise to it and blocked it.

I think there was a free version, but it didn't permit HTTPS (secured) connections.
Ahhh, that could be what I'm remembering. Doesn't surprise me that 'they' are coming up with ways to block it. One can always hope though.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
DeltaDiamond001
DISaholic
I thought getting a new box of crayons and a pad of paper was cool...

If you're going to Vegas, internet access is usually included in any applicable, albeit mandatory, resort fee.

I know that it is included at all MGM properties (Mandalay, Luxor, Excal., NYNY, MGM Grand, Aria, Vdara, Bellagio, Mirage) and both of the Wynn properties (Wynn, Encore.)

Caesars properties charge $14.99/day for in room access.

Call your resort in advance and confirm both the resort fee and internet charges, if any.

"If you can dream it, you can do it." ~Walt Disney
DeltaDiamond001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Thanks Delta, I'll check on that on our next trip.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
rkdahl
Mouseketeer

With Verizon's new Share Everything plans you can use your device in tethering mode known as a 'hotspot'. There is no extra charge to use or activate this hotspot feature. Depending on the device it's very easy to set up. For example, if you have an iPhone or an iPad, you just go to General, Network and turn on the Hotspot feature. Your device then becomes a wireless Hotspot that any other device in range of it can get on wireless and access the Internet, as long as they know your Hotspot password.

Note that when you have a Hotspot activated, your are using data from your cell phones or tablets wireless data plan. So you need to be careful with how much data you use so you don't exceed your monthly allocation, if you have one. Generally you should always turn off the Hotspot feature when you are not using it to eliminate any potential unintended cellular data usage.

For our family we saved quite a bit on our cell phone monthly plan by switching to this Share Everything plan. Cell minutes and texts are unlimited, only your data usage is tracked. You can increase it in 2GB increments for only $10/month more. It works great for us and we have 3 cell phones and 2 iPads on our plan.
rkdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
evad1029
Earning My Ears

Go to the play store and download FoxFi its free and let's you do what you want. No monthly charges or extra fees
evad1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Thanks so much. We have Droids with unlimited data, so I believe we can get set up. This makes me very happy.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
Didn't realize different carrier's would make a difference. We have T-mobile, unlimited data. For some reason I thought there was some kind of app that would make it possible. Hmmm, possibly a dream.
You are in luck, T-mobile doesn't charge extra for tethering. I have a MyTouch 4g and it came pre-loaded with an app from T-mobile called Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot". It allows you not only to set up a hotspot without downloading anything but allows you go protect it with WPA2.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
You are in luck, T-mobile doesn't charge extra for tethering. I have a MyTouch 4g and it came pre-loaded with an app from T-mobile called Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot". It allows you not only to set up a hotspot without downloading anything but allows you go protect it with WPA2.
I downloaded FoxFi, but this also sounds intriquing. Another thing to research!

thanks Frank

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: