Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Wink A Picture a Day (sorta...) to Keep the Disney Blues Away -- Updated 12/6!!

Hi there! And WELCOME to my Pre-Trip Report. Here’s hoping that the third time’s the charm, too! I had started two other Pre-Trip Reports, but they fell by the wayside due to various circumstances and plan changes.

So here we are with a brand spanking new Pre-Trip Report. I need a picture a day to keep the Disney Blues away because it is going to be a while before we’re back at Disney. As of today – 441 days. So between now and then, I am going to be posting a picture a day from our previous two trips. This should help keep the Disney Magic alive!

On to the important bits for this trip…

When:
October 2013. This will cover my 42nd birthday and DH’s 44th birthdays.

Where:
Disney World (obviously). Resort not yet decided…

Who:

Me – Darla. Will turn 42 during this planned trip. Over-planner extraordinaire. I love planning a vacation. Any vacation. But especially a Disney vacation. Loves ALL rides.

DH – Duane. Will turn 44 during this planned trip. Goes with the flow. Doesn’t like to plan vacations, but likes the results when I do. Was not thrilled when I wanted to go to Disney the first time, but it was his suggestion to go back again the second time! Doesn’t really do rides. This picture shows what he usually likes to do at Disney – a lot of people watching. It also shows what we call the “standard expression.” He doesn’t smile for the camera much… (However, see photo above. He was actually smiling.)

DD – Elizabeth. Will be 14 at the time of this planned trip. Loves Disney World, just not Princesses. Is definitely NOT a girly-girl. Loves most rides.

Figured I should do a non-Disney picture, as she has grown quite a bit since May 2010. She is very proud of the fact that she’s taller than her grandmother now.

Mom – Stella. Will be 63 during this planned trip. Doesn’t care what we do – just loves to be at Disney World. Loves most rides, too! See above for Mom’s picture.

----------

Today’s Picture of the Day:

Just starting out on our first Road Trip to Disney World – about 20 miles from home. This was October 20, 2008. Notice the ice still on the windshield???

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report

Last edited by ddstratton; 12-06-2012 at 09:52 AM.
ddstratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
So between now and then, I am going to be posting a picture a day from our previous two trips. This should help keep the Disney Magic alive!
Loving this idea.

Quote:
It also shows what we call the “standard expression.” He doesn’t smile for the camera much… (However, see photo above. He was actually smiling.)
Looks to me like he smiles when he's interacting with people.

Quote:
DD – Elizabeth. Will be 14 at the time of this planned trip. Loves Disney World, just not Princesses. Is definitely NOT a girly-girl. Loves most rides.
Awwww -- kitty!

I get the strong feeling that your daughter would get along well with with my two who are around that age.

Quote:
Notice the ice still on the windshield???
It sounds like we are going in January next year -- I don't want to notice the ice!

Unless I miss my guess, about two weeks earlier those mountains in the distance were stunner fall colors. In which case there'll be some pretty fall pictures coming later, maybe? I love Disney pics of course, but I like road trip pics, too.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Welcome! Yup, DH smiles often enough -- just not if he knows his picture is being taken. Then we usually get the "standard expresssion."

Ice at the end of October is a 50/50 thing here. I've taken my younger brother and sister trick-or-treating in a snowstorm before, and in shorts. You can never tell what fall weather will bring here.

This picture was taken not too far from home, so when the fall colors come around, I will be posting a few to compare.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

440 days to go

Topic for today – How do we get there?

I am torn. I don’t know how I want to get us to Florida from Upstate NY. Should we drive? If so, how long should we take? Two days? Two and a half? Should we take the AutoTrain from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL?

Driving is always a fun way to go. We take our time and make lots of stops. Then again – we LOVE the AutoTrain. Less wear-and-tear on the vehicles, and less wear-and-tear on US. No dealing with traffic, just sit back and enjoy the ride. Hmm….. Opinions, anyone?

Here are some pictures from our previous AutoTrain trips.

Today’s Picture of the Day:

Mom’s a-huggin’ a palm tree. She LOVED seeing an actual palm tree. On this trip, we stayed at the Caribbean Beach, so she got to see lots of them.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Today's Picture of the Day --

DH and DD on our very first Disney Bus ride. We were heading to the Magic Kingdom for the very first time.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
JoJo1980
DIS Veteran

Hi there! Can't wait to hear more about your plans

Have you been to Disney in October before?

What resorts have you stayed at previously?

I love the idea of a picture a day
JoJo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Driving is always a fun way to go. We take our time and make lots of stops. Then again – we LOVE the AutoTrain. Less wear-and-tear on the vehicles, and less wear-and-tear on US. No dealing with traffic, just sit back and enjoy the ride. Hmm….. Opinions, anyone?
I had no idea such a thing as the AutoTrain even existed. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, since the boats across Lake Michigan do that, but for some reason it never occurred to me.

The only time I've seriously considered taking the train is I'd like to take one to Yellowstone. We are usually good with driving east of the Mississippi, and a bit to the west of it, but you get much past Iowa or Minnesota, and my brain starts complaining about boredom. So while I appreciate the pictures, no informed opinion to offer. I know I really like getting out of the car regularly and I've sometimes wondered if I'd find the lack of those breaks wearifying taking a train. But maybe it's balanced out by not having to drive?

Yeah, I'm no help at all, am I?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1980 View Post
Hi there! Can't wait to hear more about your plans

Have you been to Disney in October before?

What resorts have you stayed at previously?

I love the idea of a picture a day
Welcome! Yes - our first Disney trip was in October. It's a good time for us to go, as both DH and I have late October birthdays.

On our first trip, we stayed at the Caribbean Beach, and our last trip was at Port Orleans French Quarter. Loved 'em both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
I had no idea such a thing as the AutoTrain even existed. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, since the boats across Lake Michigan do that, but for some reason it never occurred to me.

The only time I've seriously considered taking the train is I'd like to take one to Yellowstone. We are usually good with driving east of the Mississippi, and a bit to the west of it, but you get much past Iowa or Minnesota, and my brain starts complaining about boredom. So while I appreciate the pictures, no informed opinion to offer. I know I really like getting out of the car regularly and I've sometimes wondered if I'd find the lack of those breaks wearifying taking a train. But maybe it's balanced out by not having to drive?

Yeah, I'm no help at all, am I?
We loved taking the AutoTrain. We've done it on both trips - once on the way down and once on the way back. We are only on the train overnight, so there's not much time to get bored. We board the train around 2:30, it leaves the station around 4:00, and we usually get to our destination by 9:00 the next morning.

If you are on the train, you don't have to stay in your seat and/or roomette. There is a lounge car you can visit. They usually show a movie in the lounge car in the evening, too.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Today's Picture of the Day --

Mom and DD in their roomette, on our first AutoTrain ride. We had boarded the train, but not yet left the station.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On our first trip, we stayed at the Caribbean Beach, and our last trip was at Port Orleans French Quarter. Loved 'em both!
I would think they'd be a bit of a contrast -- French Quarter is one of the smallest (maybe the smallest), while Caribbean Beach is one of the biggest. OTOH, in terms of decor, at least (i.e., going on pictures ), they both have kind of a laid back vibe. I've visited French Quarter, and it felt that way when I was there, too, but of course staying there is a bit different from just wandering through!

They have two of my favorite pools, too. People say the slide at French Quarter isn't that big a deal, but I say, it's a sea serpent! How could it not be cool?

As is woefully obvious I'm not a slides person. For me, it's all about the theming, and those two pools are among the best for sure.

In your place, I'd be thinking Coronado Springs, to complete the set. Technically, you'd also need Riverside, but since it's a sister-resort to French Quarter, I'd go Coronado Springs. Also -- jaguar slide.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would think they'd be a bit of a contrast -- French Quarter is one of the smallest (maybe the smallest), while Caribbean Beach is one of the biggest. OTOH, in terms of decor, at least (i.e., going on pictures ), they both have kind of a laid back vibe. I've visited French Quarter, and it felt that way when I was there, too, but of course staying there is a bit different from just wandering through!
The two resorts were quite different in size! We were in the Barbados section at the Caribbean Beach, which was quite a ways from the main building/pool. Even then, though, the walk wasn't that bad. At French Quarter, we were also in the farthest building, but that walk was easy too.

Quote:
They have two of my favorite pools, too. People say the slide at French Quarter isn't that big a deal, but I say, it's a sea serpent! How could it not be cool?
We stayed at the Caribbean Beach shortly after the new pool opened. We loved it. DD was young enough that she was a little intimidated by the larger slide there, but she loved the smaller one. The sea serpent slide at French Quarter may not be a big slide, but it was fun!

Quote:
In your place, I'd be thinking Coronado Springs, to complete the set. Technically, you'd also need Riverside, but since it's a sister-resort to French Quarter, I'd go Coronado Springs. Also -- jaguar slide.
I am still woefully undecided about resorts... We LOVED Caribbean Beach and would like to stay there again. I've read wonderful things about Coronado Springs. Pop Century sounds like fun, too. Of course, the Art of Animation is calling to me -- it just looks like FUN! I suppose I should make a decision...

Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Whoops -- I forgot yesterday's picture!! So here's two for today.

Didn't plan on it -- but DD and Goofy were matching today! Same color pants and shirt, and she even had a green hat (but didn't have it on in the picture).

I love this one of DH and DD looking back at me on the Speedway. Oh - and she's wearing the green hat here.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
dellasgirl
Mouseketeer

Hi
I also love the idea of a picture a day
Everytime we go to WDW i try to get DH to take the auto train but
and these are his words :
Why should i drive 3 hours out of our way just to ride a train
when we can drive it in 11ish
so the end result is we drive the 11ish hours

by the way who took all the pics the are VERY good
Nell
Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellasgirl View Post
Hi
I also love the idea of a picture a day
Everytime we go to WDW i try to get DH to take the auto train but
and these are his words :
Why should i drive 3 hours out of our way just to ride a train
when we can drive it in 11ish
so the end result is we drive the 11ish hours

by the way who took all the pics the are VERY good
Nell
Welcome! To drive straight down for us would be just under 24 hours straight driving. The AutoTrain makes a little more sense for us. And we loved it.

Thank you for the compliment on the pictures. I took most of these.

Today's Picture of the day was taken by my then-9-yr-old DD:

Not sure which queue we were in at this time. I'm thinking maybe for Jungle Cruise?? I know it was at Magic Kingdom.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Rozz
DIS Veteran

This picture is so good!

If you've got a 24 hour drive, seems like taking the autotrain provides a nice break for everyone and keeps you moving toward your destination.

Caribbean Beach Wilderness Lodge WDW Swan WDW Dolphin Regal Sun Carribean Beach POP Century
Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: