Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Me!Thatswho
Mouseketeer

Video & DSLR or New DSLR w/ built in video

I have a quick question for any of you who, like me, are the official one person AV crew on family trips. For the last several yeara, I can typically be seen switching between my Panasonic pv-gs400 and Pentax K20D that are roped around my next. But, now that several models of DSLRs have video recording capability, how many have ditched the video camera in order to focus on pics & video from the DSLR. And, how does the experience compare? Do you still take as much video as you would have, or have you found that you are taking less (or more) in order get that perfect still shot?

Oh, and I am not looking for shopping advice because I'm a Pentax guy and intend on upgrading to a K5 in the next year or so.
August, 2005 - WDW All-Stars Movies & All-Stars Music -- May, 2006 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter for SWW -- June, 2007 - WDW Contemporary for SWW -- Dec, 2007 - WDW Pop Century & Contemporary for MVMCP -- July, 2008 - DL Disneyland Hotel -- Dec, 2008 - Jan, 2009 - WDW Polynesian; NYE @ DHS -- Dec, 2009 - Jan, 2010 - WDW Polynesian; NYE: breakfast at AK; mid-day @ Blizzard Beach; evening @ Epcot for Illuminations; fireworks on Poly beach -- Oct, 2010 - WDW Polynesian for MNSSHP -- Nov, 2011 - DL Grand Californian Hotel -- Aug 2012 - WDW Beach Club CL -- Jan 2013 - WDW Yacht Club CL -- Dec 2013 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside: DD danced in XMas parade taping -- July 2014 - DLP Hotel New York

My first ever Trip Report - DLP or bust! w/ Lots of Pics!
Me!Thatswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
YesDear
Admired by the Tag Fairy for such a brilliant user name!Looks more like Sully, acts more like Stitch

I never thought I would use a DSLR for video but have used new cameras for video and love it. I have a video background from years ago and love the ability to use quality glass and take advantage of DOF of the different lenses.

I will say I have immediately though of those "things" I need to make better videos and of course all it takes is money.

It is nice if I have my camera with me, that I can at the flick of a switch change to video.

Is it right for you, I do not know but I have been pleasantly surprised!

"Also cute and fluffy" Stitch
YesDear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Me!Thatswho
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the reply. I know it was a rather odd question, but I have fallen in love with the idea of going back to having only one piece of equipment around my neck. As you said, being able to switch back and forth between the mediums definitely has a strong appeal to me. Ironically, the reason why I purchased the GS400 was because of the ability to video and snap pics at the same time. It was also my first digital camera, as I simply refused to give up on film or my old Canon AE1. But, once I experienced the joy of the instant gratification that digital affords, I could not turn back. Unfortunately it is now nearly 8 years old, and the video quality has begin to slip. So, rather than investing in a new camcorder, I figured that I put my money into a new DSLR that has dual capability. So, knowing that your experience has been positive, is definitely reassuring.

Thanks again!
August, 2005 - WDW All-Stars Movies & All-Stars Music -- May, 2006 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter for SWW -- June, 2007 - WDW Contemporary for SWW -- Dec, 2007 - WDW Pop Century & Contemporary for MVMCP -- July, 2008 - DL Disneyland Hotel -- Dec, 2008 - Jan, 2009 - WDW Polynesian; NYE @ DHS -- Dec, 2009 - Jan, 2010 - WDW Polynesian; NYE: breakfast at AK; mid-day @ Blizzard Beach; evening @ Epcot for Illuminations; fireworks on Poly beach -- Oct, 2010 - WDW Polynesian for MNSSHP -- Nov, 2011 - DL Grand Californian Hotel -- Aug 2012 - WDW Beach Club CL -- Jan 2013 - WDW Yacht Club CL -- Dec 2013 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside: DD danced in XMas parade taping -- July 2014 - DLP Hotel New York

Old 08-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Being a Pentax guy myself and an owner of the K5, I would recommend you wait a little while before committing to the K5. There is an upgrade rumored for announcement sometime in September around Photokina time. There is rumor that it may include autofocus while recording.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Me!Thatswho
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
Being a Pentax guy myself and an owner of the K5, I would recommend you wait a little while before committing to the K5. There is an upgrade rumored for announcement sometime in September around Photokina time. There is rumor that it may include autofocus while recording.
Really? Good to know. Maybe I'll wait and grab the replacement model as early Christmas present!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Or a potential 3rd option.. (that may or may not be right for you) If you ever considered a more pocketable point and shoot to supplement the DSLr... You can now get great, optical stabilized 1080p 60fps video out of a Sony HX-20 or RX-100.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: