Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Brevard area info please

I'm sure that there is a better section of the DIS to post this but since the DIS crew live in Central FL but I'm not sure how much they browse the other sections so I figured I'd gamble and hope I get some responses. I know that this isn't WDW related but I know that not all DIS posts are and I need some help.

DH is getting transferred (almost 95% positive) to Patrick AFB at Cocoa very soon so our family of four will be moving from NW FL to the East Coast of FL. He would have to move before we would so we have some time to find lodging, schools, etc.. The only part of Central FL that I am familiar with is WDW so I feel like I'm looking into uncharted land. We have two elementary age kids so good schools are a must and there is a possibility that I might only be able to find a job in a bigger city like Orlando (I'm a CAD tech and unfortunately my job isn't in high demand). DH is willing to split the drive between Orlando and Patrick AFB so we haven't limited ourselves to Cocoa, Melbourne, Palm Bay, etc.

If anyone in the Central FL area could give me some info on the Brevard area or possibly point me in the direction of some sites that are good to use I'd really appreciate it. This job opportunity went from "eh, maybe" to "we might want you down here in a month" so my wittle brain is in overdrive right now.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Try these:

http://www.brevardcounty.us

http://www.brevardcounty.com
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Ali
DIS Veteran

I've lived in Palm Bay since 1991, but drove to Orlando for UCF classes for 10 of those years (or so) and I can tell you that the best/newest schools are in the Viera area. However, Brevard is an amazing school District as a whole, so you could research great schools easily. I would suggest renting a house somewhere close to the base (viera area perhaps) while you look for a job because we have been hard hit with the loss of the space program and many many tech people are out of work.

Houses are selling for way under what people paid for them a few years ago and they are plentiful. You would have your pick or amazing places.

Good luck!
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
snelsonbrown
"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." R.L. Stevenson

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGMom View Post
I'm sure that there is a better section of the DIS to post this but since the DIS crew live in Central FL but I'm not sure how much they browse the other sections so I figured I'd gamble and hope I get some responses. I know that this isn't WDW related but I know that not all DIS posts are and I need some help.

DH is getting transferred (almost 95% positive) to Patrick AFB at Cocoa very soon so our family of four will be moving from NW FL to the East Coast of FL. He would have to move before we would so we have some time to find lodging, schools, etc.. The only part of Central FL that I am familiar with is WDW so I feel like I'm looking into uncharted land. We have two elementary age kids so good schools are a must and there is a possibility that I might only be able to find a job in a bigger city like Orlando (I'm a CAD tech and unfortunately my job isn't in high demand). DH is willing to split the drive between Orlando and Patrick AFB so we haven't limited ourselves to Cocoa, Melbourne, Palm Bay, etc.

If anyone in the Central FL area could give me some info on the Brevard area or possibly point me in the direction of some sites that are good to use I'd really appreciate it. This job opportunity went from "eh, maybe" to "we might want you down here in a month" so my wittle brain is in overdrive right now.
If you will, drop me a note at snelsonbrown@aol.com ....I can help make things a little less stressful.
Hugssssssssss
Shirley
email [/email] snelsonbrown@aol.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/PerfectGiftCapeCanaveral

http://www.facebook.com/#!/DISWelcomeCenter

CLICK AT THE LINK FOR INFORMATION ON CAPE CANAVERAL AND COCOA BEACH THREAD.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520273

CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK ON GIFT BASKETS BY SHIRLEY

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1723220
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Deals: Treat yourself to a sweet deal on popular laptops!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Deals: Treat yourself to a sweet deal on popular laptops!

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!
snelsonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Brevard is a great place to live, I lived there 2004-2006 and still work for a company HQ in Brevard. Housing prices have really dropped so that's good, but unemployment is currently very high.

It's a beautiful area though with very good schools (although I have to add the "for Florida" caveat IMO).
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

Thanks for the info people & Shirley I will be contacting you soon.

I'm not even sure I have even heard of the Viera area so I will add that to my list of areas to look into. This is a scary thing, in a good way, for us because DH & I were basically born and raised in our part of FL so to move to a new area seems odd but it also something we've been wanting to do for a few years.

I've already started looking at jobs and hopefully I can find a CAD job (as long as I can draw something with a computer I'll be happy) soon enough. DH might be down there within 1.5 - 2 months and my goal is to be down there by the end of the year and hopefully with a job to walk into.

Fingers and toes are crossed that we can get things moving and not have me pull all of my hair out in the process.

Thanks again for the info everybody, I really do appreciate it!
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: