Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #121
rainynight
Mouseketeer

I don't think the new look is too sexual, but they do look pretty bad and generic now. Some look downright ugly with the changes.

I don't buy princess merchandise, so it's not a huge deal to me. As long as I have the original princess movies to watch I'm okay with the new look on merchandise and the princesses in the parks, but I feel for all those who collect princess memorabilia.
rainynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #122
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaariel View Post
I really don't mind the new dress. It's more ballgown-esque, which is very Cinderella. As for the skin showing, it's just collar bones. It's not like her cleavage is out. It's really not the hootchie-mama outfit people are making it out to be.

The hair I could do without. It just isn't Cinderella for me. At least children can still recognize her though. I was worried they'd change her completely, like the new cartoon princesses they've put on all their merchandise who look nothing like the original princesses and are covered in glitter (blegh)
To my 4 year old girls, that is definitely hoochie mama-ish. I don't let them dress in a certain way, and too much skin up top is definitely out. One of the things I really enjoyed about Brave is that they didn't try and go ****ty with the outfit, like Ariel. Children can still recognize her FOR NOW. We'll see. I have to say though, I am still glad that our first Cindy picture is with the real Cindy.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #123
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
To my 4 year old girls, that is definitely hoochie mama-ish. I don't let them dress in a certain way, and too much skin up top is definitely out. One of the things I really enjoyed about Brave is that they didn't try and go ****ty with the outfit, like Ariel. Children can still recognize her FOR NOW. We'll see. I have to say though, I am still glad that our first Cindy picture is with the real Cindy.
It's funny you should mention Merida. Her dress is also a boatneck, and you can see her collarbones.

rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #124
Princess Serendipity
If It's Not Baroque

Aaaaaauuuughhh that wiiiiiig. I could let the new sleeves slide if it wasn't for that awful wig. Those earrings, that headband, those bangs, that bun...arrrrghhh.

I'm an adult without kids, I love buying Princess merch, and Cinderella's my favourite, so this really bites for me. I don't think she's too oversexualized like this- body image issues due to the changes aside, which I commented on in my mini-essay earlier in the thread- but this pretty much sums up the difference between New and Classic for me perfectly:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...jdso1_1280.png
Princess Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #125
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Serendipity View Post
Aaaaaauuuughhh that wiiiiiig. I could let the new sleeves slide if it wasn't for that awful wig. Those earrings, that headband, those bangs, that bun...arrrrghhh.

I'm an adult without kids, I love buying Princess merch, and Cinderella's my favourite, so this really bites for me. I don't think she's too oversexualized like this- body image issues due to the changes aside, which I commented on in my mini-essay earlier in the thread- but this pretty much sums up the difference between New and Classic for me perfectly:

I LOVE IT. haha
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #126
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That picture is hilarious! I couldn't agree more about the glittery nonsense. I don't understand it at all.

I just imagine the designers all in room trying to figure out what to do and one of them goes "I KNOW! Let's cover her in GLITTER!"
rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #127
ThroughLookingGlass
“Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneldebugger View Post
Should they go back to the whistling Steamboat Mickey too?
Ummm....Mickey looks exactly the same as he did in steamboat willie so...

Minus the hat. He has different outfits but that's been obvious since day one, the princesses have always worn the same thing and their movies are set in those times too. It's not like Cinderella is from 2012, why does she need the new do and earrings and such. Plus their faces are all different. It's just creepy and unnecessary.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #128
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I feel exactly the same way!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #129
ArthurFiggis
Mouseketeer

Chiming in as a divorced, 30-something guy and semi-uncle...

Frankly, I always thought the princesses were a bit too sexualized. That being said...

With the changes, I think Aurora and Jasmine actually look less coquettish. Jasmine's random curl hits me in the OCD, but I can deal with that. Ariel, Tiana, Mulan, Rapunzel all look great. Cinderella's hair looked great in the face character debut pic a pp posted. Belle's my personal favorite princess and, I'll admit to a bit of a crush on her. I get how her new hairstyle plays into the more relaxed look, but it's my least favorite of the new looks. I think it's the thicker eyeliner on Belle that I don't care for, really. But, I love the tons of added sparkle.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #130
KayTom
Mouseketeer

These changes make me sad

I don't feel that the new characters look more sexualised or anything along those lines, it is just that they aren't recognisable as the traditional characters they are supposed to be.

Why can't they just keep up with the times with the new films and characters instead of messing about with the old ones?

I don't mind touching up the colours and crisping up the lines, but I wouldn't want any merchandise with the new characters on unfortunately as they are just unrecognisable to me.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #131
disbabyndaddy
Mickey & Minnie's Best Friends

Quote:

Hahahaha!! I, too, am kid-free, and Cinderella is my favorite "classic" princess. What a GREAT picture!!

Not sure how I feel about the new look. I guess her sparkle doesn't bother me (YAY, glitter!) or even her new hairstyle ~ we can all use a refresher after 50 years ~ but WHY change her face?? That makes her not look at all like the Cinderella I cherish...like she got some "work done".

Fort Wilderness 2007
Wilderness Lodge 2008
Port Orleans Riverside 2009
Disneyland & California Adventure 2010
disbabyndaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #132
mommymade
Earning My Ears

She looks like Barbie, end of story. My hope they would keep the princesses looking classic like Jasmin, Belle and pocahontas. Rapunzel is a great movie but her eyes were huge, my first thought was thanks pixar for your video game looks. Then outcomes Merida and my four year old is scared crying at the savage graphic bears and the characters again look more video game and less classic or life like like? Merida head is huge. My daughter has no interest in her. Sadly I feel Disney is losing its edge because it no longer sets the bar at elegant, classy and relatable. More so trying to follow everyone else...... I too will not purchase these.
Carnival Triumph 2006
Costa Atlantica 2007
Carnival Legend 2008
MSC Poesia 2009
Disney Wonder 2010
Disney Magic 2011
Carnival Dream 2012

Disney Dream 2012 Countdown
mommymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #133
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymade View Post
She looks like Barbie, end of story. My hope they would keep the princesses looking classic like Jasmin, Belle and pocahontas. Rapunzel is a great movie but her eyes were huge, my first thought was thanks pixar for your video game looks. Then outcomes Merida and my four year old is scared crying at the savage graphic bears and the characters again look more video game and less classic or life like like? Merida head is huge. My daughter has no interest in her. Sadly I feel Disney is losing its edge because it no longer sets the bar at elegant, classy and relatable. More so trying to follow everyone else...... I too will not purchase these.
Not end of story, I for one don't think she looks like Barbie at all. Not flaming, just saying

They do have the look of modern Barbie-copy dolls though, and they're too slim.
Saying that, if I had a little girl and she wanted it for Christmas/Birthday, I would of course get it for her. i wouldn't disappoint or upset my child because I disagre about the toy company's design chooice! Unless, of course, I thought it was harmful to the child, which I really don't think these dolls are.

I guess I just don't think these design changes are shocking or even that big of a deal.
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #134
mousefan2322
Earning My Ears

So the changes were not only for merchandise, the face character costume, hair and makeup have changed too!

Check out the new look here:

http://firstworlddisneyproblems.tumb...you-wanting-to

love the dress, love the new hair style but I think she is wearing to much makeup.
mousefan2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #135
Princess Serendipity
If It's Not Baroque

That second picture is not as bad as the first, I think- Cinderella should not be day-glo orange, sorry- but...augh. Maybe it's the soft focus and stuff, but at least the headband looks less...plasticky? I still don't like it and I don't know what to do.

For those of you who say it's not a big deal, I get that, but here's why it's a big deal to, say, someone like me and why I had some serious angst (I admit, I have cried more than once over this) over my upcoming trip about it. My reasons are probably very different from those of someone who is upset about sexualization and their kids' exposure to it. Warning: this might get a little dramatic.

You might be able to tell by my screen name that I am a Disney Princess fan. My favourites are Cinderella, Snow White, and Belle (mostly for the movie she's in, to be perfectly honest). I like the old princesses, back when they were allowed to be really feminine, dainty, and gentle. I really like how Cinderella is very sophisticated, elegant, mature, and dignified. She's pretty much one of my heroes and role models, and seeing her reduced to looking like an ordinary, average, completely textbook, trendy fifteen year old Barbie-esque girl just...stings. They have completely disregarded who Cinderella is and what makes her so special and unique among the princesses and have stripped her of her elegance and sophistication.

This trip- my honeymoon- is pretty understandably a big deal to me. I was- am- so excited about it, I haven't been to Disney World since I was 12 and I get to take my fiance who has never been and it's pretty much a chance for me to somewhat live out my dream of being a princess, and meeting some of the characters I love so very much.

Except that, having changed my favourite, every time I see this costume I am going to be reminded of how they pretty much destroyed a lot of the reasons I loved her, how they completely changed a character just to make her more trendy and marketable to girls who cannot apparently enjoy aesthetics outside of their own generation's fashion preferences. Being completely honest- yes, from a fashion standpoint, the new park dress is better. It's very pretty- the hair is pretty too, even if I don't like it as much as the old. Did the dress need changing? Well, yes, but not the way they did- they could have tailored it to look better and match the movie a bit more (good call on elongating the bodice, though). I'm glad the new dress isn't BRIGHT BLUE like the art shows, at least. But thing is, it's still going to remind me of the terrible new art I loathe and that sting I mentioned earlier every time I see her, and that's going to bring me down a little bit, at least.

I don't know what I'm going to do about it, skip pictures at the CRT/1900 Park Fare or just skip them all together or what, because after all the stress I'm under right now from the wedding and planning, the last thing I need is to be reminded all the time of something that makes me sad while I'm on my honeymoon.

So I can understand why it's not a huge deal to a lot of people, but to some of us, it really, really is.
Princess Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: