Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #76
BiancaBernard&Penny
Returning to "Earning My Ears" after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by a11ie
If you ask me, her make up looks a little less done than the old version.. The eyes are not so dark and sultry and her lip stick is more neutral. So I'm wondering if maybe I'm seeing a different "new" version. They've also tuned down the chest area a bit. It is different, but everything changes.. Even the mouse who started it all.

Cinderella always looked like a mature woman to me..
I thought I was the only one with this perception. I don't love it but I certainly don't hate it. But then, she might be the princess that appeals to me the least. (gasp!!)

CBR- Sept 1997
CBR- Sept 17-24, 2001
CSR- May 13-20, 2008 ptr- http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2166836

Debating on a trip this year with 4 year old "Penny" and a 12 year old, too!
BiancaBernard&Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #77
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantnnravin View Post
I'm not sure i WANT my daughter to "identify" with young ladies who wear too much make-up and affect coquettish, overly-sexualized posture.
Are we to expect "duck lips" in the merchandising soon? How about dolls with duck lips and booty-pop poses? "everyone" is doing it...
I don't see the over sexualized posture, and I don't think a 12 year old girl would have that kind of thought process either. Also, I am not defending Disney nor I am against Disney, but sorry, a brand, Disney or not Disney needs to keep up with their consumers and offer what they want and desire from the brand to reach consumer satisfaction (and remember, you (us/adults/parents) are not the direct target, the direct target are girls, they don't see a princess and think "oh i want to buy this princess because her posture is sexual".

Again, not trying to say your opinion is wrong, but Disney needs to reach the newer generations, and use what appeals to them, or else the brand would become extinct.

You as a parent have the final say in what your kids use or not, but IMHO I don't see the over sexualization of the princesses.
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #78
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Thumbs down RE: **CINDY'S NEW LOOK VS OLD IN RELATION To.... **

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoogala View Post
What disturbs me is the poses. They are highly sexualized, hips jutted out, posterior out, looking over their shoulder. They all look like they are posing for maxim, and hey all have open mouths, with slightly shaded eyes, an obvious invitation. Thank goodness my daughter does not like the princesses, I would never allow any of this in my house..along with brats, monster high dolls, etc.

1) new Mickey Mouse look vs old:
Atleast the new version doesn't look like something out of a teen magazine; complete with a "come hither" look (imagine if MM looked like the Bieber)

2) The new Univ of Wisconsin football uniform look / Univ of Nebraska new football uniform look, etc.
Yes, change is always just around the corner but alteast it isn's sexually suggestive like say the uniforms being tight around the rear end, etc.

3) The new princess look??
With all due respect, they now all look like ladys of the evening.
(and to think, Walt even had Annette 'tone down' her upper chest area to therefore maintain that kid look & NOT what she was growing up into during filming of the MM show:

A young lady.

How I wish we had people like that in the ink & paint department.

I mean,
I understand clearly that change is always here BUT.........
OMG - atleast Jessica Rabbit was meant to be that way -

In short:
IMHO, Disney has turned these princesses into objects.
Not a smart move.

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT

Last edited by knewton64; 10-01-2012 at 05:24 AM.
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #79
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

Personally I don't think they're too bad. Probably because I read this thread first and was expecting a proper s&m stripper bunch of princesses. Although I do wonder what Cinderella has got around the neck and why, they look a lot less shocking than I expected.

Oh and they're way too thin, and that's coming from someone who's been very slim her whole life.
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #80
monique5
DVC - BLT

I like the new designs, but agree that the makeup is a little exaggerated. Their new hair is very nice, and old hairstyles were outdated. Changing for the consumers is a wise decision.
monique5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #81
Angebee
Mouseketeer

A little tweak here and there is one thing. Adding several little tweaks all at once is what makes the difference. Belle was actually the one who jumped out at me most since she's been my favorite. Why did they need to lengthen her hair to 'adjust' her? She looks like a knock off.

While understanding things need to update now and then, I definitely stand in the 'dislike' corner. Shame. I was hoping to get a good Belle or Cinderella tshirt for myself on the next trip.

(inactive at the moment) 'No Pit Stoppo!' -- Our first TR (Feb 2013)

The Sunfinders ... 'Lady' (mom), 'Butch' (dad), me, Kit (21)

'88, '90, '94 to '98 -- offsite w/ family '09 -- ASsport & '13 -- AoA Cars '11 -- offsite at Disneyland!
Angebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #82
AdamRos19
Earning My Ears

There is a certain elegance brought upon by the traditional princess design.
It's classic and common for there "era" so to speak to look as they did, note the similarities in snow aurora and cindy vs Ariel jasmine and belle... Then move further ahead and note the artistic designs of movies more recent.
It's all based on marketing and appeal. I'm quite sure that there will be little change if any at all to the CMs.

This is the appeal of these kids generation, cartoony and animated. It's almost like comparing the effect Pixar had on traditional cartoon art.

Big bright eyes, bright colors, facial dimension and expression (I.e. snow white) in an attempt to bring the animated aspect of the princesses to appeal to the artistic demand of today's youth spoiled by technology and trends. I can confidently say I believe you will have your classic images still, and that these renderings are the target for the little ones. Unfortunate that there may not be as much of the traditional design for the kids who love and appreciate the classic
AdamRos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #83
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

From a guy with a little daughter here, I am not a fan. i do not like the overly sexualized new look of the princesses to begin with, but it strays much too far from the originals.

I will say, I have been a BIG fan of how the TV show "Once Upon a Time" has portrayed the princesses so far. Aside from Cinderella (which is understandable), all of the others have been very "normal" looking and relatable so far (Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Mulan).

2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)
Sparrow624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #84
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow624 View Post
From a guy with a little daughter here, I am not a fan. i do not like the overly sexualized new look of the princesses to begin with, but it strays much too far from the originals.

I will say, I have been a BIG fan of how the TV show "Once Upon a Time" has portrayed the princesses so far. Aside from Cinderella (which is understandable), all of the others have been very "normal" looking and relatable so far (Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Mulan).
Very disappointed by the new Princess images. Cinderella and Belle especially look nothing like they did originally. I understand some changes might be possible but I hardly think Disney will be losing "money" from having the Princesses look as they did in their movies. Now they don't even look like they did in their movies.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #85
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I am so disappointed- I think they are almost unrecognizable if it weren't for the dresses. Cinderella's hair looks like something a teenager might wear to the prom and Belle's looks almost like a big, exaggerated wig.

I liked the old princesses. I liked how old they were and how they represented a different generation.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #86
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

This could be why none of my friends little girls want me to bring them back ANY princess stuff from my next Disney trip. Kind of made me sad...they range in age from 3 - 10 and have NO interest anymore in princesses.
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #87
Merida DunBroch
I will fight, I will fly, taste the wind and touch the sky..

I like a lot of the designs... Though Jasmine's wayward curl bugs me, and I'm not really liking Cindy's choker. But I like them, for the most part. I guess I'm in the minority here. Ah well. I see nothing overtly sexual about it, though.

I can get not changing something from your childhood that you've fond memories of... Perhaps I'm not as bothered because I wasn't into the princesses as a kid. That said, I DO get where people from that angle are coming from; I wasn't pleased when SEGA changed the look of my favorite video game character.

Mom(30-something) Dad(40-something) Me(16) DB(13) DB(11) DB(9) DS(4)
Official lover of Kristoff Bjorgman of Arendelle!
Merida DunBroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #88
starrynightrose
Earning My Ears

Personally, I think a lot of people are blowing this out of proportion.

I took a look at the pictures on the DisneyStore website, and a majority of the makeovers to the characters was addition of sparkles and patterns to their dresses. As a graphic designer, I see why this was done. It adds more interest and attracts the eye to the character as a whole, ultimately adding to revenue.

As far as the facial and hair makeovers, most of the characters haven't changed. However, the worst change by far was Belle. Adding the amount of hair they did detracts from her dress, which, until Tiana arrived, was the most intricate of the princess dresses (not that I'm saying it's not anymore, its just not the only one). Yes they did alter Cinderella's facial structure and hair a little bit, but overall it did not detract from identifying her as Cinerella, which was very important. Actually I found her features a little sharp in various pieces of art and I think the new look softens some of those features. I'm glad they redid Ariel's bangs a bit, I always found her bangs overlarge on her small face. They look proportionate now.

People on here have talked about the over-addition of make up which I don't seem to see. I see a little blush on their cheeks, but that hasn't changed from their past iterations. The other things people are blasting about are their sexualized positions, hips thrusting out and such and the only Character that seems to have the position is Jasmine, which is a position the she has stood in since the movies came out. I found her body unreallistically disproportionate since Aladdin was released (although that didn't stop me from being her for Halloween when I was 8).

Overall, the important thing is that they have not changed the princesses enough to make them less identifiable. As long as they are still identifiable as a brand, they are still guarenteed to bring in merchandise revenue.

Blast me if you like, but I'm just sharing some opinions and views from my view as a graphic designer (with a little bit of makreting thrown in there).

1989 - WDW staying Off-Property
1998 - WDW at Summerhill Suites
2000 - Disneyland with my Marching Band for a DL Parade and the Tournament of Roses Parade!
2010 - WDW at Port Orleans Riverside for Food & Wine!
2011 - WDW at Old Key West for BFF Reunion Trip!

starrynightrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #89
EKW
DIS Veteran

The new Ariel is scary...

Her head is twice the size of her waist! She looks like a Photoshop project-gone-wrong!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #90
KatieDiZ
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightrose View Post
The other things people are blasting about are their sexualized positions, hips thrusting out and such and the only Character that seems to have the position is Jasmine, which is a position the she has stood in since the movies came out. I found her body unreallistically disproportionate since Aladdin was released (although that didn't stop me from being her for Halloween when I was 8).
Thank you! I for one don't find any of the new looks to be sexualized. Though I'm not quite fond of belles new look.
KatieDiZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: