Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Favorite Smoothie Recipe?

My rising Kindergartener has gotten really into smoothies lately. Normally I use strawberries, blueberries, banana, low fat vanilla yogurt and 2 tbsp of flax seed.

What are your kids' favorite smoothie recipes? I want to mix things up a bit.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

That all sounds good! Maybe mango and pineapple? I have a little tip for you, my DH wanted his thicker, so we took the yogurt and filled ice cube tray with yogurt and froze it into cubes, then you throw a couple of cubes in the blender and it comes out a little thicker!
maggs1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

My kids favorite is mango peach. They like them frozen so I freeze the yogurt (we use Greek), then blend with fresh peaches and mangoes. Something else they love, is parfaits made with Greek yogurt, fresh berries and lightly crushed oatmeal square cereal.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
sheila <3 WDW
DIS Veteran

I like to use some fresh and some frozen fruit (so I don't have to use ice cubes). Usually do a banana, frozen strawberries, yogurt, sometimes milk to thin it - it's usually really thick! Very good. Sometimes I do frozen blueberries or mixed berries. Watermelon or peaches or whatever fruit I have on hand.

I've even put fresh spinach in them. Makes the texture a bit more chewy, but it doesn't taste like spinach. I was so surprised.

The third time’s the charm! A March 2013 10th anniversary pre-trip report! The 3rd time's the charm! Our 10th anniversary March 2013 TR!
The 3rd time's the charm! Our 10th anniversary 03-2013 Dining Report!
sheila <3 WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

My fave is almond milk, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, half of a banana and 1 or two tablespoons of cocoa powder. It tastes like a Reeses Peanut Butter cup!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
sixkristy6
DIS Veteran

DD4 is refusing all fruits and veggies, so I had the idea to make her smoothies. Then I saw this thread, perfect timing! Subbing for ideas!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Bibbidi
DIS Veteran

I just use orange juice, frozen yogurt and frozen strawberries. That is our favorite standby. I have also substituted the strawberries for raspberries and blackberries (these smoothies are better strained though because the seeds from these two berries can be a little gritty).
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
brobrosmom
DIS Veteran

We like almonds in ours.

brobrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

We make smoothies every morning for breakfast. The usual is half a banana, frozen blueberries, strawberries, mango, then vanilla yogurt with milk and pineapple juice. I add probiotic, and 1 tbsp of chia (better than flax seed) and sometimes 1-2 tbsp of soya protein powder. It make a yummy healthy concoction. If not my 5 y.o. DS looks in his "smoothies" cook book and chooses a new recipe to try. Experiment with flavors you know you already like and you'll find one that the whole family will enjoy. The trick is using frozen fruit instead of ice and using pineapple juice which is less acidic and sweeter than orange juice. I sometime substitute milk for almond milk which give it a nuttier flavor. I found raspberries where the only fruit I did not like in my smoothies: too bitter and the seeds stay stuck in teeth (really bugs me).
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Svhadden
Mouseketeer

We make smoothies every day . We're dairy free, but we've still found many recipes that we love, and my kids really like them.

Our fave is 3-4 peeled oranges (I get as much of the pith off as I can, and squeeze out any seeds), thrown into the BlendTec in quarters, enough water to cover the bottom of the blender by just a bit (1/2" or so), enough baby spinach leaves to stuff the bender full, and about 1 Tbs raw honey. It tastes like an Orange Julius .

Always dreaming about our yearly September trip .
Svhadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Glittercat
Mouseketeer

Ours may sound strange, but here goes.
one small handful spinach, kale, or leafy green
a banana or avocado (for texture)
handful of berries, mango, carrot, or cherries
raw ginger, flax seed, & bee pollen

They really do taste amazing, and I'm looking for new recipes. My husband is curious to try kefir lime leaves- but we have to find out if they are safe like that first! We don't have a fancy juicer but just one from Target.

What are your favorite brands of soy protein?

Glittercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

My Vitamix came in the mail today.....so I thought I would revive this thread! What are your favorite smoothies?
My2CrazyGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
PocahontasLookALike
DIS Veteran

we love out blendtec and seriously use it everyday. My DH, myself and even my 14 mo drink green smoothies every morning. We use:

Kale
Spinach
Chard
Asparagus
Broccoli
Avocado
whole orange
Banana
Strawberry
Apple
Almond milk
Water
Ice
We use all fresh and as much from our garden as possible.

My 14 mo literally begs for these every morning. They are very green but we all love them!

Ridiculously happy DVC Member
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
WDW 2001 - Sheraton Vistana
WDW 2005 - BWV
WDW 2007 - BWV
WDW 2009 - Beach Club Villas
Childhood Disneyland Trips...too many times to count!
2007 Disneyland trips: January, March and October - VGC
2008 Disneyland trip: 2008 Half Marathon in August!
2009 Disneyland trips: September for the Disneyland Half Marathon, October for a big family trip - VGC
February 2011 Disneyland - PPH
April 2013 Disneyland- PPH
October 2014 Disneyland - VGC
PocahontasLookALike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
melindae10
Mouseketeer

I do a greek yogurt, frozen berries, spinach, and cinnamon smoothie. My kids and I love it. We also tried a pineapple instead of berries, my kids loved it but to me it had a weird and gross aftertaste.

I have heard kale has a strong taste to it, does it overwhelm the smoothie? I would like to try it because it is so much better for you, but I am a bit afraid
melindae10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
SalemsFairyGodmother
Earning My Ears

Our current favorite is 2 cups unflavored kefir, about 1/2-3/4 cup chia gel, 1 orange, 8-10 frozen strawberries, large handful of frozen blueberries, a splash of vanilla, and about 8 drops of stevia. I use a Vitamix and run it on the smoothie setting. This makes more than enough for our family of 3.

We like the kefir for the probiotics and it makes it a bit thinner than yogurt. I make the chia gel by combining a 1 to 9 ratio of chia seeds to water and store in the fridge (I usually do 2 tablespoons chia to 18 tablespoons water each night to use during the day). I like chia better than flax as it has more nutritional value, help with hydration, and really does a good job of filling us up.
SalemsFairyGodmother is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: