Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

You are too humble. I could use the same camera and not get photos anything like these. You have a talent!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
ABE4DISNEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekjones1558 View Post
You are too humble. I could use the same camera and not get photos anything like these. You have a talent!
I'm with you! Improved technology does not improve my pictures...unfortunately.

Loved your report and your pics are amazing!

ABE4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #18
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE4DISNEY View Post
I'm with you! Improved technology does not improve my pictures...unfortunately.

Loved your report and your pics are amazing!
Thanks again to both of you.

I had a lot of fun taking the pictures, and enjoyed the results. I'm glad others did, too

For the most part I see good photos others have taken and try to replicate them. For instance I remember a few giraffe close ups from a DVC Mike TR, so I tried to get a few of those. (and while I really like my pictures, Mike's camera has much better bokeh)
And more recently I have seen a few nice landscape pictures with interesting clouds and so I tried to pay more attention to the sky this trip, and found that I stopped few more times to try capturing them.(this is where the cameras built in backlight HDR feature helps to preserve more cloud detail)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
mlittig
DIS Veteran

Incredible photos and awesome report

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop Century 9/11 Pop Century 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 12/20/14 Christmas Magic 4/17/15 Pop Century
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #20
grumpy&princess
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=hakepb;45685117]So, we packed up, checked out and headed back to MK. Since the crowds and weather cooperated so well we realized we had 2 more indoor attractions we did not yet do, CoP and Laugh floor.

And a panoramic look:

How did you do the lovely panoramic view? Looking into getting this camera. Also where were you to get this view?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #21
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy&princess View Post
How did you do the lovely panoramic view? Looking into getting this camera. Also where were you to get this view?
Sony has an amazingly simple, yet effective, intilligent panoramic mode built into the camera. You set the mode dial, press the shutter and try to smoothly move left to right, and then the camera stitches everything together.
For this trip, I just had the camera set in High Resolution panoramic mode. In HR mode you turn the camera sideways/portrait click and move to get a resulting 4000x10,000 pixel image.
The panoramic photos do occasionally produce strange artifacts or weird people as it stitches the pictures together if there is movement while shooting or objects are too close.

Both of those pictures were taken on the balcony of the train station. I chose to be slightly off-center so the castle was not blocked by the flag pole.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
megan511
Mouseketeer

I love the pictures!

This camera looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks so much for sharing and it looks like you all had a great trip.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #23
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

What beautiful photos! We love the BWV, and you made me homesick. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan511 View Post
I love the pictures!

This camera looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks so much for sharing and it looks like you all had a great trip.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Princess View Post
What beautiful photos! We love the BWV, and you made me homesick. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Thank you!
The Boardwalk tried to give me one last photo as I was packing the car...

But the camera was cold from being in the A/C all night and the lens fogged up as it hit the humid morning air.
The foggy effect is almost nice, but I think I needed to still adjust the angle I was shooting from. unfortunately it kept getting more foggy. By the time the lens cleared up, the lighting changed due to an approaching storm.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #25
thorphin
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for posting these HX-30 photos. There's a 75% chance we'll be headed back in September *2013*, so I started looking at getting a new camera to get me different/better images compared to those I got from my Canon SD1200IS from our 2010 trip. (Un?)fortunately, I found the HX-30 today, and now I'm nearly sold on buying it, even though I KNOW something else will come along before our trip. It's a neat looking camera though!

I think my biggest concerns at this point are:
1. Low light quality (too noisy), but your examples look very good. Unless a bunch of your 2000 unposted photos turned out noisy and grainy?
2. Camera size. My Canon slips in and out of my pocket really easily in the parks and it's really convenient to use. I'm a big afraid that this camera (which is twice as thick) won't slip out of the pocket as easily (or worse, create unsightly camera-bulge!).

Thoughts on touring at WDW with this thing?

'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!
thorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorphin View Post
Thank you so much for posting these HX-30 photos. There's a 75% chance we'll be headed back in September *2013*, so I started looking at getting a new camera to get me different/better images compared to those I got from my Canon SD1200IS from our 2010 trip. (Un?)fortunately, I found the HX-30 today, and now I'm nearly sold on buying it, even though I KNOW something else will come along before our trip. It's a neat looking camera though!

I think my biggest concerns at this point are:
1. Low light quality (too noisy), but your examples look very good. Unless a bunch of your 2000 unposted photos turned out noisy and grainy?
2. Camera size. My Canon slips in and out of my pocket really easily in the parks and it's really convenient to use. I'm a big afraid that this camera (which is twice as thick) won't slip out of the pocket as easily (or worse, create unsightly camera-bulge!).

Thoughts on touring at WDW with this thing?
You're welcome.

1) most of my pictures were good,( I had a lot of pictures of DS, and I don't get into posting those. ). And there were times like LMA where I used too much zoom and wound up getting nice pictures of empty pavement because I didn't follow the action well enough . But yes, I did have more dark ride picture misses than hits. *A lot of that was motion related. *(dark pictures are easy if you have a tripod and a static subject)..a boat would bump a rail when I started to take a picture, or in FOTLK, the tumble Monkeys seemed impossible to catch... I now notice that zoomed pictures worked better in my camera.(a bit odd, the lens has a higher *f/ value, but I guess image stabilization works better with less to track)

2) I always use a small belt mounted camera bag, that also lets me carry an extra battery, memory card and a few ziplock bags for wet rides...so the bulk does not bother me. *In fact I prefer a bit of bulk because I can hold it more steady than say, my iPhone. *(I prefer a belt clip for I'm iPhone vs pocket, too so I may be a bit weird)

But I'm a firm believer that there is no best camera, just best for a specific person. *I think the Sony has great video and great Auto modes ( and it does have manual controls when i want to play more) *that gives pictures that look really nice straight from the camera. But there seem to be others that produce better images after post processing, if you like that.
For thinner cameras with zoom I would look at the Canon SX-260 and Panasonic ZS30 and 20. *Wihin pocketable cameras, If you do not need zoom, the Canon s95 and s100 do better at low light. *The Sony RX100 would do even better yet in low light..
Start looking at reviews at dpreview.com

Have fun camera hunting!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #27
thorphin
DIS Veteran

I must admit, after having 2x-5x zoom on Kilimanjaro Safaris for several trips, I'm really excited about having better zoom! That's narrowed me down to the "travel zoom" cameras. I've spent the whole weekend watching the Olympics and reading dpreview (and many, many others).

My conclusion is that, for me, the HX30 makes the most sense, but you make a good point about it being a very personal decision. I also have to keep in mind that I'm not buying a dSLR. I can't afford one. I don't know how to use one. And it won't fit in my pocket. With that in mind, it's easier to accept that there are limitations to the picture quality on P&S sensors. Once I do that and start looking at the great pictures and awesome sample videos floating around, the quicker I can open my wallet and start making good pictures!

Thanks again.

'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!
thorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
shermom
Earning My Ears

Amazing pictures! What kind of camera did you use? ~Sherri
shermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermom View Post
Amazing pictures! What kind of camera did you use? ~Sherri
Thanks!
I have a Sony DSC-HX30. It's a 20x "travel zoom" point and shoot. It's a fun combination of capability and features.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #30
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Thank You!

Great Review! We have rented points and are staying on property for the 1st time at BWV next May. We got a standard view so I'm interested in finding out what kind of view we might end up with. I have to agree with the other posters about you pics, they are beautiful!
MomToPrincePhillip is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: