Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Reddy
Scrapbooker

Mom was telling me about phones in school
one kid text the test he was taking to a kid in the same class but later in the day - both sets of parents had to come to the school for that one
you do need to know what the cell phone policy is at each campus - some have it where you must keep it in your locker others they just can't be turned on during class
some if you get caught using it when you aren't suppose too - it goes to the office & your parents have to come in in-person (no phone calls) to get it
Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Josh didn't get a phone until he was 14, Julia I caved and got her one at 12 but she made a good case about her dad being late to pick her up. They both know the rules and I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with them texting while in school. Julia hardly uses her minutes or texts. Josh and DH are my high users! No internet access on any of the phones, I can't see paying for it.

I will say it is getting increasingly difficult for schools with so many of the students having some kind of device. Technology has it's strengths and weaknesses.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
disney-akj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ&JHsmom View Post
I will say it is getting increasingly difficult for schools with so many of the students having some kind of device. Technology has it's strengths and weaknesses.
You are so right! As a teacher, cell phones can be horrible and helpful?? My problem is when parents get mad that their child isn't allowed to call them in the middle of class or when their child can't text them back immediately. Our policy is phones must be off and out of sight during class. During lunch and hallways, it is a little impossible to monitor easily. If you are ever caught doing anything inappropriate with your phone while at school or a school activity, you are banned from bringing your phone to school. If you bring it anyways, the parent must come get it from the school. The photo taking and posting on FB is what is the real problem or looking up/texting answers on tests.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

Megan's school has a NO phone during school hours policy, it will get taken away and parents called...its funny to see them all walking out of the bldg texting

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

At the HS they can have them on them but not to be used. However we are getting WiFi all over the school this summer so they can have tablets, ipods, kindles and laptops for school work only. I feel sure they will be monitoring traffic but it was a must do, the kids rely so heavily on technology.
We might be gettng DS16 a tablet or laptop to do homework on so I don't have to give up my laptop anymore. As it is, I'll have 2 in middle school who need the computer. The middle school Language Arts teacher has done away with book reports and upgraded to a web forum (With the same format at the DIS) for book discussions. She can also review grammar, punctuation and spelling with it. Kills 4 birds with one stone. And for me it helps with their typing skills, which are atrocious!!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Computer time was a challenge here until my parents gave each of the kids netbooks for christmas one year, no more arguments over who uses the computer when! Josh has his own laptop now that he has started college and we finally figured out how to hook them all up to the printer.

I feel for all the educators who have to deal with parents about cell phones! I really can't understand why they think a child should take class time to call or text home. Monitoring wifi access and use is going to be a challenge for all districts in the very near future here, MA is talking about having online testing! Many school districts are going to be racing to bring in the technology when this happens(hopefully not in the too near future as the economy is still not that great!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: