Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #16
nbaresejr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I wanted to expound on this a bit, the 50-150 Sigma isn't listed as telephoto, as compared with others at the 70-200 (or more) which are.
http://www.adorama.com/SG50150AEOS.html

Would that still be considered telephoto and have the same speed issues or is it under the telephoto designation and more like a traditional lens... if that term can used.
For me i could consider it a telephoto (it may or may not actually be 1). That lens is pretty big and heavy (almost 3 lbs). Its going to be somewhat hard to hold on the t4i. Also i still dont see the need for a telephoto with the type of pics you said you wanted. Before buying a telephoto i would invest in a wide angle (if you want 2.8 the Tokina 11-16 is great) or a Sigma 30mm 1.4 prime. The 30mm is regarded as one of the best primes for a crop body. Low light shots and characters should be good with that.

Really what you need to do it find a camera shop and try some of this stuff out. Attach it to your camera so you can see size and weight. Your going to have to carry this stuff around all day.

Renting a lens for this trip might be a good option also. This will prevent you from making a $1000 mistake purchase.
nbaresejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
Frantasmic
*crickets*
I just tell everyone I'm the CPIC for the day

Quote:
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC OS HSM $999
canon 55-250 IS f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto
and a sigma 1.4 teleconvertor
I say this tongue in cheek somewhat, but are you trying to shoot a parade from your hotel balcony or something? I don't understand the need for a teleconvertor. It adds a stop to your best aperture. I just don't see anything dark that needs that much reach.

I think you pick up the canon just because it is a great deal and you will find a ton of uses for it in good lighting, as bob has demonstrated.

The sigma 30 or the tokina 11-16 are also good choices. There are a lot of lenses that are good in the 1.8 - 2.8 region, some prime, some telephoto, that would be good to have. But, don't limit your lens choice to what you think would be good to have for parades at night at disney. A 2.8 isn't going to be "magic" and allow you to play in the parks and come stand at the back of the parade at the last minute and get good shots. If you are really interested in good parade shots, get up close with a great prime lens. In other words, be prepared to stand in line an hour or two early to get a good spot.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Have you considered renting one of the 2.8 telephotos for your trip? At the very least I'd get to a camera store and hold one to see how heavy it is.

I was pretty driven to get a 70-200 2.8. Until I rented one for my son's high school graduation. I was glad I did and got some nice shots, but knew after that day that it's not something I'd want to carry around Disney.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
Well I think I figured it out.

For the cost of just the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS I can get:

Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC OS HSM $999
canon 55-250 IS f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto
and a sigma 1.4 teleconvertor

Personally I think that three pack would serve me better than just a 70-200 and should cover me for my trip.
I agree with the others, go to a store and handle them first before buying. Having an f2.8 longer focal length lens is nice for many things but not necessarily Disney. Also teleconverters work only on some lens and it affects resolution and AF. For me a wide, large aperture lens would be better for Disney rides.
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

While I agree that a 2.8 isn't always necessary and it does come with a weight issue (for some). Like everything in photography, there are compromises. I would not go to WDW without my 70-200 f2.8. There are images like below that are necessary for me that I would struggle to get without it. My experience is that how you carry the equipment is just as important as what you bring. Pre-Black Rapid, I had a good neck strap, but with the heavier lenses, it didn't take long before I had raging neck pain and a headache. Now with the BR, I hang the 70-200 (attached to the camera of course) by the lens tripod mount and with the battery grip the camera is well balanced. I don't feel the weight and I can carry it all day without fatigue. When its not on the camera, its in my bag. The three lbs. really doesn't make a difference (for me).

1/250 sec, f2.8, 200mm, ISO 3200, no flash

Mickey and Minnie MK by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
I wanted to expound on this a bit, the 50-150 Sigma isn't listed as telephoto, as compared with others at the 70-200 (or more) which are.
http://www.adorama.com/SG50150AEOS.html

Would that still be considered telephoto and have the same speed issues or is it under the telephoto designation and more like a traditional lens... if that term can used.

Thanks!
50-100 would be considered by many to be a telephoto zoom. especially on a crop camera. But it's one of those middle lenses that gets categorized in different places by different people. There is different groups of lenses and the numbers that put a lens in one group or another aren't set in stone anywhere. Generally telephoto is considered to be anything over 70mm but with a crop body some consider anything over 55 to be telephoto. Like most things when it comes to photography it's about more than what the specs say.

How fast a lens you have, meaning the ability to get a fast shutter speed in low light, comes from a combination of a long focal length, aperture and lens weight. F/2.8 is fairly fast when you're at 50mm but it gets slower as your lens gets longer and heavier. The question is how slow is too slow for you? How steady can you hold a heavier lens? And of course, what is your personal shooting style because it always comes back to that.

There's also different ideas of what low light and night shooting are and the lenses everyone recommends will be biased by their interpretation of what that is, along with their personal style. In the end you can't base what you buy only on someone elses recs or you're going to end up with a lot of lenses that are not right for you. I get the urge to run out and buy a bunch of lenses to cover everything. But it's really counterproductive until you learn how you shoot. And that can only happen with time.

Last edited by photo_chick; 08-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
MolonLabe
DTOM

I shouldn't have made it appear I wanted the teleconverter for night time shots at the world. Sorry to confuse anyone with listing the three together like that.

I ordered the $150 lens, so that is done.

I'll have to go out and experiment thru the ranges more before going any farther.
Thank you everyone for bearing with me, I really appreciate it'!

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #23
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Quote:
I shouldn't have made it appear I wanted the teleconverter for night time shots at the world. Sorry to confuse anyone with listing the three together like that.

I'll have to go out and experiment thru the ranges more before going any farther.
Congrats. You got a steal of a deal!

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #25
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would still leave the teleconverter off the list for now.
you'll get a lot of use out of the 55-250IS (until you start wanting 400mm and f2.8 then it gets expensive)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Now adorama is running this deal....

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 Lens + Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens $240 + Free Shipping

http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFSZ.h...ce=rflaid62905

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Wow, that was quick shipping. It came today.

I ran outside in the harsh 4pm sun without a cloud to be found and shot a few quick frames. My n00bishness abounds but here are a few:

No real flowers, everything is dead from the heat so I dug some fake ones out of the basement
Taken with a canon T4i, Large jpeg, no PP strait from the camera.

f/4 1/1600 sec ISO-100 0step 55mm

f/9 1/320 sec ISO-100 0 step 55mm

f/9 1/320 sec ISO-100 0 step 90mm

Focus was on the flag, 5-10mph winds.
f/5.6 1/800 ISO-100 0 step 250mm

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #28
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, that was quick shipping. It came today.

I ran outside in the harsh 4pm sun without a cloud to be found and shot a few quick frames. My n00bishness abounds but here are a few:

No real flowers, everything is dead from the heat so I dug some fake ones out of the basement
Taken with a canon T4i, Large jpeg, no PP strait from the camera.

f/9 1/320 sec ISO-100 0 step 90mm

[
Focus was on the flag, 5-10mph winds.
f/5.6 1/800 ISO-100 0 step 250mm

even though I now have longer and larger telephoto lens I still keep the 55-250IS because it's small (literally pocket size), sharp and great for traveling when don't want to carry the big stuff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: