Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #136
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I'd call that a lie, but I actually believe it.
Good for you, because it's true! No points for that, though.

Quote:
Except for South of the Border, that is.
Well, at least they had fireworks.

Quote:
Yes, but then you get to play all of the slow moving car games. Like "Hey kids - let's look at that tree again!"
Even I can't fake enthusiasm for that one.

Quote:
Nope, nothing suspecious when dad jams the car in reverse and squeals the tires to hide us. Typical day in the life of an International Man of Mystery.
They've seen me drive on the NJ Turnpike. Those moves are typical survival skills.

Quote:
She was always getting these funny feelings about a rock or a trail or the road, so she'd tell us to get down, shut up.
"Get down! Shut up!" Did it rain in all different directions too?

Quote:
Don't worry Julie, we know Mark was using the "me" definition of "we" here.

Quote:
Burst out from behind a wall? Like the Kool-Aid man?!?
Now why didn't we think of that? That would have been awesome!

Quote:
This smells like Tommy Boy - the scene where Chris Farley looks into the board room just as they're closing the doors. So I'm going to call it.
Wasn't that, "What's my family doing in there?" (I had to check on imdb).

Quote:
Great pictures of the night swimming! It looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks! It was, which is a good thing, because otherwise a full week at the beach might not have looked so good.

Quote:
I can assure you my points are not Brazillion. They're all made right here, in the good old U S of A.
I'm picturing you saying this in front of a giant American flag.

Quote:
I can think of one that may not be very pleased with it....
Has your nemesis weighed in on this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
That’s how it went down.
And in exactly that order.
I don't know whether to feel proud or bothered that I had it that close.

Quote:
The only bit you missed was…

4.5. State constitutional amendment put on ballot to cut property taxes was approved by voters resulting in 45% cut on revenues (the vast bulk of which normally went to roads and schools).

I’d say that you’re not cynical.
More rather, most folks are selfish
(and don’t think beyond their own immediate concern)
Sadly, you're right about that.

Quote:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

+1
Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #137
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Love the introduction. A secret when you point the car south? I will guess you actually do quite well since the distractions seems to work
Well, when you're in Delaware there are a whole lot more options when you point your car south than say, Charlotte.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Marv! I'm sorry we missed you too. But your son's deployment was slighly more important than meeting some weirdo from the DIS.
Well, when you put it THAT way......
Quote:
Not sure why.......I'm usually terrible at your movie quote games!!!
Quote:
I’ve driven past this tourist trap several times in my life, and never once had the guts to stop. Every time we go by, the parking lot looks empty, and I wonder how the place can stay in business wallowing in its eternal crappiness. And yet somehow, it survives.

Hmmm, doesn't look so empty to me! You can usually find cars there from as far away as, say, Delaware!!!

We went straight for the fireworks shop. No, I don't know why they're flying a Canadian flag.

As if the billboards can't stand alone in their enticing way, it is to further lure in those Canadians who come down each year to play golf in the early spring. The two things just naturally go together!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Knowitall View Post
*If you're the winner, please send us a SASE and allow 10 weeks for delivery.
I think I spotted the lie!!!

Great minds.
Maybe another????
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I am so taking Denny here when we go to Hilton Head next spring!
Gee MaryEllen, why don't you just take him to Denny's and order the steak there instead!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuck4Life View Post
I don't know how any road trip would be complete without stopping at a place like this. This is the type of thing childhood memories should be made of.
How else are you going to give them nightmares and be able to provide that parental comforting????
Quote:
Then we took the exit for Myrtle Beach and got on Rt. 501. We drove for about 5 minutes and then hit this:

Please tell me you didn't try to take 501 to reach Pawleys Island!!!!! You should have asked some of us natives and we would have told you to stay on I-95 to Daytona, then backtrack until you find Hwy 17 and travel through Charleston and Georgetown to get there. Would have saved you HOURS!!!!!
Quote:
You're not allowed to overrule the Rules Committee.
Just a guess, but I don't think you should have said THAT!!!!!

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #138
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Not sure why.......I'm usually terrible at your movie quote games!!!
You can't be any worse than I am at the prediction games.

Quote:
As if the billboards can't stand alone in their enticing way, it is to further lure in those Canadians who come down each year to play golf in the early spring. The two things just naturally go together!!!!
That makes sense. Except "early spring" in Canada is August, right?

Quote:
Gee MaryEllen, why don't you just take him to Denny's and order the steak there instead!!!!
Because Denny's doesn't have a building shaped like a sombrero!

Quote:
How else are you going to give them nightmares and be able to provide that parental comforting????
Exactly!

Quote:
Please tell me you didn't try to take 501 to reach Pawleys Island!!!!! You should have asked some of us natives and we would have told you to stay on I-95 to Daytona, then backtrack until you find Hwy 17 and travel through Charleston and Georgetown to get there. Would have saved you HOURS!!!!!

Darn highway engineers.

Quote:
Just a guess, but I don't think you should have said THAT!!!!!
Nah, it's ok. She's stuck with me.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #139
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Latest standings:

FreezinRafiki 8
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes 3
afwdwfan 2
vdub322 1
MEK 1
glennbo123 1

Getting ready to post the next chapter, so I'm sorry to say that no one found the lie in chapter 2. Which is a bit disconcerting--apparently you all think I'm evil enough to make poor Julie get up at 5:00 a.m., endure a 12+ hour car ride, and then cook a full roast beef dinner for us )with beef that's been sitting in a cooler?). Or maybe you think Julie is Wonder Woman?

Anyway, we just got a pizza from a local place that first night after we arrived. It was fairly unremarkable, but it did the trick.

Also, there's still a quote from a Bruce Willis movie buried in there somewhere.

Last edited by Captain_Oblivious; 08-08-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #141
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
partially hydrogenated vegetable oil...polysorbate 60...yellow dye No. 5. Everything a growing boy needs.
Die Hard
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #142
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Getting ready to post the next chapter, so I'm sorry to say that no one found the lie in chapter 2. Which is a bit disconcerting--apparently you all think I'm evil enough to make poor Julie get up at 5:00 a.m., endure a 12+ hour car ride, and then cook a full roast beef dinner for us )with beef that's been sitting in a cooler?). Or maybe you think Julie is Wonder Woman?
First of all, yes, I think you could be that evil. Secondly, if she is the creator of the Key Lime Pie of Awesomeness then my assumption would be that she is indeed Wonder Woman when it comes to creating delicious things.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #143
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
apparently you all think I'm evil enough to make poor Julie get up at 5:00 a.m., endure a 12+ hour car ride, and then cook a full roast beef dinner for us )with beef that's been sitting in a cooler?).
I wondered about that one, but y’all are famous form bringing food along to save on the expenses. I figured that is was already cooked and then tossed in the microwave. That’s what I get for thinking.

Quote:
Or maybe you think Julie is Wonder Woman?
I’ve read a good bit of your writings thus far.
You seem to think that she’s Wonder Woman…
Why wouldn’t we believe you?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #144
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
The lie is that Julie cooked a meal when you got to Pawley's Island.
That darn DIS with its rogue time stamp posting issues!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
First of all, yes, I think you could be that evil. Secondly, if she is the creator of the Key Lime Pie of Awesomeness then my assumption would be that she is indeed Wonder Woman when it comes to creating delicious things.
Excellent point!!!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #145
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That darn DIS with its rogue time stamp posting issues!!!
Exactly! I know I posted that a good 5 or 10 minutes earlier than the timestamp shows.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #146
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Exactly! I know I posted that a good 5 or 10 minutes earlier than the timestamp shows.
I HATE when that happens!!! Sometimes it can even be HOURS!!!

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #147
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Mission Log #3: Checkpoint Pawley

I’m not going to do a strict chronological accounting of the week at Pawley’s Island, mostly because I don’t think I can make endless repetitions of “we went to the beach, swam, bodysurfed, played catch, read books, built sand castles, and wandered the shoreline” sound very interesting. So, given that Sunday, July 15 was our first full day at the beach, I’ll use this space as my chapter relating how we went to the beach, swam, bodysurfed, played catch, read books, built sand castles, and wandered the shoreline. Just assume that anytime we went to the beach, we did that stuff.

The home we rented was a place called Myrtle Lodge, and it was a beautiful spot. It wasn’t quite oceanfront, but there was an empty lot in front of it which allowed for ocean views.

The place had 5 bedrooms, a deck, and a screened-in porch with ample rocking chairs, perfect for morning coffee or evening beverages as we looked out to sea.

The view (zoomed):

It even had its own private walkway to the beach. And of course, the jacuzzi and HD flat-screen TV didn't hurt matters either.

I have to admit, when my friend first invited me to go to the Myrtle Beach area in the middle of July, I was a bit apprehensive. That’s when EVERYBODY goes to the beach. He is a SC native and goes down there every year for his vacation, and kept talking about how much he wanted to show off the area. We thought a week with friends would be a lot of fun, so of course we agreed, but inwardly I was cringing a bit thinking about the crowds we’d have to deal with.

Shows you what I know. Pawley’s Island consists mostly of second- and rental homes, many with private beach access. There is a public access portion, at the north end, but even this part didn’t seem overly crowded. The motto of the town is “Arrogantly Shabby”*. There are no high-rises, no glitzy neighborhoods or condos, no amusement parks or boardwalk…just simple beach homes and the ocean. If you want the other trappings, you can drive north to Myrtle Beach. Otherwise, you can sit and relax on a low-key island. And it’s only an island if you look at it from the water.

*as mottos go, that’s a winner. I might adopt that one to describe my general appearance.

So, now I understood why my friend wanted to show the place off. The weather was hot but the ocean breeze kept it from being oppressive, the water temperature was perfect, we had the beach almost completely to ourselves, and there was plenty of seaweed.

Wait, what?

Seaweed. It hadn’t been there the night before, but when we walked out in the morning, the beach was covered. It had all washed ashore from somewhere overnight (you can see it gathered along the water line in the picture above). We could see lots of clumps floating in the waves. My friends said they’d never seen anything like it before. It wasn’t that big of a deal, except when we were in the water and would feel something brush past our legs, giving us a half-second of pause before we realized it wasn’t something that was alive. Is it true that most people get attacked by sharks in three feet of water about ten feet from the beach?

We braved the ocean anyway. I was really proud of the kids. For years, I’d been begging them to come out into the ocean with me and could never get them to come out further than knee-deep. Finally, they got over their fears and discovered the joys of surfing the waves and boogie-boarding. 100% pure adrenaline! Sarah, Dave and I spent hours riding the waves over the course of the week.

Scotty stayed a little further back. He’s not as strong of a swimmer yet.

Later, he decided he wanted to get in on the boogie-boarding action, but he needed my help. So we developed a foolproof system together.

Scotty would climb on my back, and I would attempt to keep us from drowning.

We took a hike down to the north end of the island, where there is an inlet leading from the ocean to the marshes that separates Pawley’s Island from Litchfield Beach. As you can see, the beach was much more crowded in this area.

Some of you have heard me complain before about my job and the impossible things engineers get asked to do. It’s like they expect us to walk on water sometimes.

I’m an engineer, not a miracle worker!

Anyway, you can see by now that the beach was just perfect. Great place for a getaway, even in the middle of July. If sitting back, relaxing and doing nothing for a week is your ideal vacation, this is the place to be.

There was only one problem.

There wasn’t much shade. Also, despite my occupation as a state worker, I’m not good at sitting around and doing nothing, so I tend to spend a lot more time in the water than sitting on a chair under an umbrella. I re-applied sunscreen throughout the day, as did the kids. But towards the end of the day, as I rode my board in on a wave, I got up and my friend called out to me: “Dude, you look like a lobster!”

Uh oh. Sure enough, my skin matched my Phillies hat in color. We spared you the pictures of me without a shirt. You're welcome.

The kids didn’t do much better. Sarah’s back was bright red (except for 2 think white lines matching her shoulder straps). And Julie swore she’d never let the boys do the sunscreen on their own faces ever again.

I dunno. Scotty’s “raccoon” look is kinda cute, don’t you think?

Coming Up Next: the beach is great, but we’re already burned to a crisp. So what's plan B?

Last edited by Captain_Oblivious; 08-10-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #148
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is it true that most people get attacked by sharks in three feet of water about ten feet from the beach?
Jaws
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #149
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
100% pure adrenaline

Point Break
Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #150
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
100% pure adrenaline!

I’m an engineer, not a miracle worker!

First, Point Break.