Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
cchamble
Earning My Ears

Please help me pick a stateroom on the Dream!

My husband and I are looking to book a 4-night cruise on the Dream next October. This will be the first cruise for us EVER. Yeah! Our DS will be 6. My husband really wants a verandah, and I get motion sickness and was concerned about feeling movement on the boat, so through research and advice on a previous thread I posted it looks like we want a 4D, 5C, 5D, or 5E. We cannot do the 4D due to price. What is the biggest difference between 5C, 5D, and 5E (aside from $70)? Is there a specific stateroom I should request? I would like to be on the side of the ship that sees the ports as we come into Castaway Cay and also to see the fireworks on Pirate Night (is this starboard?? I do not know ship lingo... hahaha. Trying my best here!). Please advise! I feel like if we are springing for a verandah I would prefer NOT to have a whitewall... but I also know when you are working on a budget you get what you get (and you don't throw a fit!). We plan to book through Dreams Unlimited. Thank you!!!

Me (29) DH (30) DS (4)

My first Disneyland trip: 1988
First Annual Pass: 2008
Over 40 trips and too many memories to count!
cchamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

I would go to the DCL website and check out the deck plan. It should show where the different cat are located. My guess is that 5C is on the deck above 5D & so on. Happy sailing!
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
sgc1107
sgc1107

You can do a search for difference in categories some even provide pictures :-) there's a TON in info here on disboards! I wish I would of done more research before our first cruise! If you ate computer savvy I would suggest booking on your own to prevent TA fees. It's VERY easy through Disney! Tip: Don't buy their insurance, search for travel insurance and look what everyone else has been using. Disney offers limited coverage. AND Don't but your air through Disney WAY over priced! We always fly southwest to get their web special price! As for you motion sickness... I get sick too, Dramamine/meclizine (same thing) did not work for me. I was told to eat a green apple but I was to excited about everything else and forgot to eat one! At dinner the first nigh I had ginger ale and felt sick all day (sail away day) woke up the next morning and felt great! They told me FL waters are rough and once we entered Caribbean waters it would be smoother! Hope this helps a little, I'm sure soon enough you'll have some more advise from other cruisers too! Have fun planning!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Tgrgrl
Earning My Ears

Stateroom 8630 verandah with plexiglass/rails. Great view of CC and Atlantis in Nasseau. Hop skip & jump to aft elevators and quick flights up & down stairs to get pretty much anywhere you want. Cabin steward Ohsmet was wonderful too, although they may rotate around.
Tgrgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Tgrgrl
Earning My Ears

I forgot, great view of fireworks, too! Although we were asked to stay off the verandah ( shhhhhh).
Tgrgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

If you get motion sickness easily, then try to get the lowest deck you can towards the middle of the ship. I noticed when booking that some categories had multiple deck choices. We are on deck 7, starboard, as midship as was available. I think we could have god down a deck, but it was really far aft, so we went with midship. I have only been on 1 other cruise, so am far from an expert, but did notice that we felt more rocking on higher decks (also a much smaller ship than the Dream, though)
Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
cchamble
Earning My Ears

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 5C, D, and E categories? I see lots of great reviews of both the C and D categories, but I can't find any on decks 6 or 7 that are category 5E. I just don't understand the difference between the categories I guess, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Me (29) DH (30) DS (4)

My first Disneyland trip: 1988
First Annual Pass: 2008
Over 40 trips and too many memories to count!
cchamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchamble
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 5C, D, and E categories? I see lots of great reviews of both the C and D categories, but I can't find any on decks 6 or 7 that are category 5E. I just don't understand the difference between the categories I guess, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Cat 5E is our favorite - they are all aft (way at the back of the ship) and have enormous verandas. We have also stayed in Cat 5A due to FL resident rates, but would choose Cat 5E over then anytime. We like decks 8 & 9 but would be OK with deck 7 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream, newbie, stateroom, verandah

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: