DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran
 
mybabesuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,982

Airline checkin and checkout confusion at OKW

Is it normal for the resort to print your boarding passes and luggage tags
ahead of time and hang them on your door in the middle of the night?
We were very confused and concern about this at OKW.
When we woke up the morning of our departure there were boarding passes and luggage tags hung outside on our door.
We always thought you needed to go down and show Id to get the boarding passes.

What made this even more bizarre is that we had changed our flight.
We added three more nights at Kidani.
The boarding passes printed had someone else's name on them.
They printed out four boarding passes that were all the same but not our name.
The first page had our names with the flight on it but the boarding passes were wrong.
We returned them to the desk and didn't make a big deal about it.
But is this normal for them to just print them and hang them on your door?

They also charged us FIVE times for our room balance at OKW.
Actually they only authorized the amount 4 times and charged it once.
But it put a hold on our account for the total amount authorized for five days.
Of course it had to be the one time we didn't use the Dining Plan and had all of our meals charged to the room $743 (x 5)
When they finally charged it they did 7 $100 transactions and one $43 one.
So none of the holds dropped off.
Apparently there was a system upgrade and they were having trouble that day.
I didn't find out until our credit card was declined when we returned to the airport to get our car out of parking.
Luckily I had another way to pay for my car.
At Kidani they hung what I thought was a receipt on my door.
I grabbed it and threw it in my bag. We hadn't charged much there because we did the dining plan for our second segment of our stay.
And they usually send the receipt to my email and we left early in a hurry.
It wasn't until we were home that I read it and realized it was a note saying there was a problem with our credit card at checkout.
Oops... They should have called and left a message.
The credit card company said only the merchant could remove the authorization.
I called MS and they connected me to the billing department.
I ended up having to wait the five days for the charges to drop off.
Then I had to call the billing department back and have them recharge the Kidani part of our trip.
What a headache!
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,633
DISboards Moderator

It is not at all unusual to have credit cards declined after a Disney trip. Many banks/CC companies will routinely decline cards after unexpected amounts show up, especially in Florida, as Florida is a hotbed of CC fraud. I usually drive to WDW, and I make sure to take several charge cards, as they often start declining at the gas pumps unless I specifically call the banks and authorize the charges, even though there is more than enough of a credit line on the cards. It is part of increased loss prevention at the banks.

Also be sure to inform your bank before your trip, as some cards will not authorize a charge over $100 without prior authorization. I know CHase lets you set up those options on many of their cards via their website. I receive emails from my banks and Credit Union for any charges over $100. And the Credit Union has declined transactions if they feel thee is a chance of fraud, and I've had to call them to authorize the charges.

These were not debit cards, but standard credit cards. I do not have a debit card.

The boarding pass mix up was surely human error, and is likely something they are experimenting with for ME. I haven't used ME, so I've always had to go to the baggage check area at the resort to get my boarding passes.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 07-31-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran
 
mybabesuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,982

My card was only declined because they said it was over my credit limit.
OKW authorized $3715 in charges on my account.
They tied up my credit for 5 days!

I did notify them I was going to Florida.
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 22,959

We never use ME, but I've seen many (saying 100 would not be exaggerating) posts talking about getting their ME stuff on the door knob the night before check-in. I thought that was the standard practice.
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,633
DISboards Moderator

That does sound like a system glitch, as OKW usally authorizes $1500 at the most, and once you reach that with a room charge, they charge it out and authorize another $1500. The reservation system was down the other day for upgrades, which probably also had an effect on the resort system. The new reservation system, and making the DVC reservation system cross-talk with the regular Disney resort reservation system, has had a LOT of glitches since they took the first step to integrate them a couple of years ago.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran
 
mybabesuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,982

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
We never use ME, but I've seen many (saying 100 would not be exaggerating) posts talking about getting their ME stuff on the door knob the night before check-in. I thought that was the standard practice.
We always get the ME paper for the bus the night before we check out.
But we have always had to bring our luggage down and show ID before being issued Boarding passes and luggage tags for the airplane.
We were not taking the ME only switching resorts.
I really don't like the idea of my Boarding Pass and Luggage Tags hanging on my door all night.
It doesn't sound very secure. Someone could put one on any suitcase and send it to the airport with MY name on it!
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 58,385
DISboards Moderator

You have to show the ID to check your bags. And you still have to bring your own bags down to the airline check-in. I've never received a luggage tag on the door, just a claim check. I've received those even when I do not intend to check anything. I ignore it.

But they do not need to ask for ID before issuing a boarding pass. Anyone can print their boarding pass online these days. The resort is just printing it for you.

You must show ID at the airport with the boarding pass.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran
 
mybabesuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
That does sound like a system glitch, as OKW usally authorizes $1500 at the most, and once you reach that with a room charge, they charge it out and authorize another $1500. The reservation system was down the other day for upgrades, which probably also had an effect on the resort system. The new reservation system, and making the DVC reservation system cross-talk with the regular Disney resort reservation system, has had a LOT of glitches since they took the first step to integrate them a couple of years ago.
They were trying to cash out my account. The total amount $743 !
Instead of putting the credit through they kept just authorizing the amount by mistake.
It wasn't coming off my bill so they did it FOUR more times.
Then they decided to try it in smaller increments. $100 seven times and the $43...
They finally charged it correctly but they had run it 5 times already.
And they didn't bother to call and fix it or let me know.
I don't think Disney ever preauthorizes the cards anymore.
That is how people skip out on their bills.
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 16,864

I will comment on the luggage issue.

RAC (remote airline check in) is staffed by BAGS employees (a subsidiary of MEARS). They are a outside vendor responsible for getting your luggage to MCO and they can also issue boarding passes. Not all airlines participate in the program. You can use RAC even if you are not using DME, (Disney's Magical Express). I have never heard of RAC leaving luggage tags on a guests door, especially when they haven't weighed the luggage. I expect that the tags were meant for someone else with special circumstances.

DME will leave your DME instructions on your door, they are also a MEARS company contracted by Disney.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran
 
mybabesuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,982

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
I will comment on the luggage issue.

RAC (remote airline check in) is staffed by BAGS employees (a subsidiary of MEARS). They are a outside vendor responsible for getting your luggage to MCO and they can also issue boarding passes. Not all airlines participate in the program. You can use RAC even if you are not using DME, (Disney's Magical Express). I have never heard of RAC leaving luggage tags on a guests door, especially when they haven't weighed the luggage. I expect that the tags were meant for someone else with special circumstances.

DME will leave your DME instructions on your door, they are also a MEARS company contracted by Disney.

Bill
The luggage tags had our names on them for the flight we were supposed to be on originally.
The tags have the gate, the flight and the flight time on them.
Four tags with each of our names on them.
On the back of the tags it says BAGS www.airportbags.com with instruction on how to attach the tags to your bags.
The envelope says resort airline check-in on it.
The tags are the same as the ones we got at Kidani when we actually came home.
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 16,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabesuz View Post
The luggage tags had our names on them for the flight we were supposed to be on originally.
The tags have the gate, the flight and the flight time on them.
Four tags with each of our names on them.
On the back of the tags it says BAGS www.airportbags.com with instruction on how to attach the tags to your bags.
The envelope says resort airline check-in on it.
The tags are the same as the ones we got at Kidani when we actually came home.
This is something new in the last couple of months then. How do they know that you intend to participate?

I would send a email to the following for an explanation:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Please let us know what you find out.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 45,413

When I stayed at BWV in May I used DME for the first time. They hung our SW boarding passes and luggage tags on the door the morning of check-out. The boarding passes looked like your typical home printer version. We put the tags on our luggage and took them to the RAC desk. They took them off and put new ones on plus gave us new boarding passes that looked like airport boarding passes. So I don't know what the purpose was of putting them on the door.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002
 
KAT4DISNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 8,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
When I stayed at BWV in May I used DME for the first time. They hung our SW boarding passes and luggage tags on the door the morning of check-out. The boarding passes looked like your typical home printer version. We put the tags on our luggage and took them to the RAC desk. They took them off and put new ones on plus gave us new boarding passes that looked like airport boarding passes. So I don't know what the purpose was of putting them on the door.
Same thing for our group members using ME back in Dec of 2010 so it's been going on for awhile. And not making complete sense. The luggage tags were the strangest part.
__________________
Kathy

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran
 
mybabesuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,982

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
This is something new in the last couple of months then. How do they know that you intend to participate?

I would send a email to the following for an explanation:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Please let us know what you find out.

Bill
I sent an email. I will post when they respond.
Thanks
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
wildernessDad
DIS Veteran
 
wildernessDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,690

Ahh, yes, a system upgrade...
__________________


wildernessDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.