Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Reberella
Mouseketeer

No More Wishes?

I heard a rumor that Wishes is closing and being replaced by a new fireworks show with more effects, lights, etc.? I don't want Wishes to end! It's one of my favorites

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Anyone know if it's true??

Reberella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reberella View Post
I heard a rumor that Wishes is closing and being replaced by a new fireworks show with more effects, lights, etc.? I don't want Wishes to end! It's one of my favorites

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Anyone know if it's true??
Are you maybe thinking about the Magic Memories and You show that runs before Wishes?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

We can hope. Wishes is old and needs replacing with something better. If you've seen the new show in Paris you wouldn't hold Wishes quite so highly in regard.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Nothing confirmed or even hinted at by Disney....

that being said, there is speculation that something may be coming within the next few years. Wishes has had a long and successful run and people have speculated that maybe after the opening of the new FLE that Disney may look to update the evening firework show at the MK. Maybe even to something that incorporates some of the Magic, Memories, and You effects into the fireworks presentation.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

There are people saying the Dreams show from Paris was supposed to come here, but Phil Holmes initially put the axe on it. Now, however, they are looking at it again. If that is true, I hope they use elements of it and still continue to use large amounts of huge pyro in the show.

Disney used to change things often which prevented the idea of nostalgia around favorite shows. The issue I have with change is not that change is happening, but that I do not trust them to make the new show better than the last. MM&Y show proves what they can do when they want to push technological barriers, but that doesn't always give me confident when they start talking about changing shows that are already good. It's not just about new, it's about being better.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

I hope for a new show. Wishes is good and all, but time for a change.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reberella View Post
. . . I don't want Wishes to end! It's one of my favorites . . .

1) Wishes is old.
2) People want new things.
3) It is about time to bring in something new.
4) Besides, with FLE, a new show would be righteous.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Lyric
Dreaming perpetually and living vicariously

Oh, I wish it were true! After enjoying Believe, and then Remember, at DLR, Wishes seems a bit ... lackluster. We didn't even watch it last time we were there.

. . . . .
DLR 1998 2002 2003 2004 2005
WDW 2000 2009 2012

. . . . .
Jen
Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
ShellyG
Earning My Ears

I love wishes, but I have seen it 3 times now and I am looking forward to a change!

Being Disney you know that whatever they do replace it with will be just as spectacular and brilliant!

1987-1995 Enclave Suites, Omni Rosen, Comfort Inn (?) 1 more offsite and The GF. 1997 - CBR. 2007 - Disneymoon WDW dolphin. 2010 - AKL and 2013 - POR.
ShellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
speded
Earning My Ears

I agree with most here. We head to the Disney World at least once a year and it would be nice to see a new show. I'm sure Disney won't replace it with a worse show.
speded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyG View Post
I love wishes, but I have seen it 3 times now and I am looking forward to a change!

Being Disney you know that whatever they do replace it with will be just as spectacular and brilliant!
While at one time that wouldn't have been debated, i don't think that's still the case.

Both Stitch's Great Escape and the whole Imagination Pavilion Fiasco really hurt Disney's rep of always replacing an attraction with something spectacular.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Heidi Lou
The Mouse's Biggest Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
While at one time that wouldn't have been debated, i don't think that's still the case.

Both Stitch's Great Escape and the whole Imagination Pavilion Fiasco really hurt Disney's rep of always replacing an attraction with something spectacular.
When i read this thread I thought the same thing! In recent years, i have to say i think the changes i have seen made were much more disappointing than brilliant!

I love wishes and have seen it probably 30 times! I hope this is just a rumor!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
MARYMC911
Earning My Ears

I love Wishes as well. Every time I watch the show it moves me to tears. I do understand that during times of recession I am sure that Disney needs to maintain profitability. It would seem that lights would be less expensive than large scale fireworks. In keeping with Disney flair and style, the lights do reflect current technology that the MK is lacking in most of the original rides.
MARYMC911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

I want Disney to go back to the way they used to be and change up parades and fireworks shows more often. I have not watched a 3pm parade at MK in like 3 years cause it is the same old same old just reorganized. I want what I used to get. Don't even get me started about the Jammin (Junkie) Jungle Parade. Holy old and worn out !
Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

I hate to be the wet blanket....

buy fantasy in the sky was better in my opinion and to be honest they should have stuck with that...

and sorcery was better than fantasmic too...but we know that neither are coming back.

But back to the topic: i would think some design/ redesign of illuminations would be higher up on the cue than the MK fireworks....

And since they dumped all that money into fantasyland, why would they want to redo the fireworks anyway? It's overkill...people aren't going to stand in line to dump money on merchandise TWICE to justify all these new great things...

my take
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 08-11-2012 at 12:54 PM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: