Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #31
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

I did a spreadsheet comparing staying at WH with BWI at rack rates, and with a 20% discount. Even with vehicle rentals and parking, the savings were pretty significant. That may not have swayed me to stay off property, but teamed with the input received here, it was enough to push me into action. I booked WH town house "Story time 4" today!! I figure, if we do not like it, we can do something else whenever we return again. A big thanks to all of you for your help

FiveofusNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #32
GingerJay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveofusNL View Post
I did a spreadsheet comparing staying at WH with BWI at rack rates, and with a 20% discount. Even with vehicle rentals and parking, the savings were pretty significant. That may not have swayed me to stay off property, but teamed with the input received here, it was enough to push me into action. I booked WH town house "Story time 4" today!! I figure, if we do not like it, we can do something else whenever we return again. A big thanks to all of you for your help
Yay! It's always exciting to have the first step in your trip booked I'm going down in June of 2013. Is that when you'll be there as well?

February 2008: Contemporary Resort
March 2010: Windsor Hills
GingerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJay View Post
Yay! It's always exciting to have the first step in your trip booked I'm going down in June of 2013. Is that when you'll be there as well?
Yes, we will be heading down June 17th. I am relieved to have finally made a decision. I still feel torn about staying off property away from total "magic" submersion but knew I had to just make a decision. I guess that is why I do not feel the same excitement as when I booked with BWI last time.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #34
LisaNJ25
DIS Veteran
I paid $300 back in 1992. I had the big Jersey girl hair and all

We are staying off site at WH for the first time in 3 weeks. We went with Dave @ vacationcentralflorida.com

You couldn't beat $550 for a week. We are a large family also. We usually stay at POR but even with free dinning going on I couldn't beat the offsite price and the discounted Y.E.S tickets we were able to get.

o 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2001 - Disneyland
o 2002 - Caribbean Beach/Wilderness Lodge
o 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2008 - Pop Century
o 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2012 - Windsor Hills
o 2013 - Pop Century
LisaNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #35
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaNJ25 View Post
We are staying off site at WH for the first time in 3 weeks. We went with Dave @ vacationcentralflorida.com

You couldn't beat $550 for a week. We are a large family also. We usually stay at POR but even with free dinning going on I couldn't beat the offsite price and the discounted Y.E.S tickets we were able to get.
Wow, that's a fabulous price! Not many sleeps left until your trip - bet you are getting pretty excited. I am eager to hear how you find the transition from staying on property to staying at WH. Maybe you could post a follow up here after the trip if you get a chance??? Have a great vacation!:cool1

Old 08-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #36
purplebelle
DIS Veteran

We have a group of 10 staying at Windsor Hill (one of the homes) in about a week. My first time staying off property but worked out well price wise for the 10 of us. It's going to cost MUCH less than if we all stayed on property. I agree with others that I might miss some of the Disney magic of staying on property but money sure talked to us this time as we could use not plunking down loads this trip. Will report back when I get back!
purplebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #37
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebelle View Post
We have a group of 10 staying at Windsor Hill (one of the homes) in about a week. My first time staying off property but worked out well price wise for the 10 of us. It's going to cost MUCH less than if we all stayed on property. I agree with others that I might miss some of the Disney magic of staying on property but money sure talked to us this time as we could use not plunking down loads this trip. Will report back when I get back!
Thanks! Look forward to hearing how it goes. Hope you have a great time.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #38
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks! Look forward to hearing how it goes. Hope you have a great time.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #39
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
what is the makeup of the group- how many adults/kids
how many families?

i'd be curious to how you make out
Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
purplebelle
DIS Veteran

2 kids: 6 and 8
8 adults (consisting of parents, cousins, aunts, etc)
purplebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #41
BethV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasue View Post
We are staying at one the townhouse owned by Charlie next week. We did an inquiry and he had the best price and availability for our dates. So far he has been really great to work with. I can update next week when we get there if you would like.

Could you post your review? We are looking at Charlie's unit at 2550 Maneshaw and would love to know your thoughts. Thank you!!
BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #42
reginasue
Earning My Ears

Charlie....

Sorry for not getting back to this post sooner. The kids started school two days after we got home and life's been crazy ever since.

We stayed at the townhouse located at 2550 maneshaw. Overall, everything was great and met our needs. We went with my mother-in-law and mom that both stayed at the townhouse most of the week and they had no complaints. Plenty of linens and dishes, everything was clean, furniture was comfortable. We will definitely use charlie again in the future.

The only minor problems we had were the porch light and pool light didn't work. Also, the ice maker wasn't working, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us. My DH emailed Charlie just so he was aware of the problems. All the lights were fixed the next day and somebody was supposed to come the following week to look at the ice maker.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Regina
reginasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #43
BethV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasue View Post
Sorry for not getting back to this post sooner. The kids started school two days after we got home and life's been crazy ever since.

We stayed at the townhouse located at 2550 maneshaw. Overall, everything was great and met our needs. We went with my mother-in-law and mom that both stayed at the townhouse most of the week and they had no complaints. Plenty of linens and dishes, everything was clean, furniture was comfortable. We will definitely use charlie again in the future.

The only minor problems we had were the porch light and pool light didn't work. Also, the ice maker wasn't working, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us. My DH emailed Charlie just so he was aware of the problems. All the lights were fixed the next day and somebody was supposed to come the following week to look at the ice maker.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Regina
Thank you!!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
OperaMama
Lover of all-things-Disney, but, most of all, I adore Paris!!

Condo stay at WH upcoming

We have a 10 day trip booked for December and booked a condo in WH (Sweet Dreams) thru MagicalVacationHomes. Does anyone have experience with them? So far, the process has been smooth and it was actually less expensive for the 3BR unit than it was for a 2 on some other sites. There are only 3 of us going(2 sharing the MBR, but since my youngest son might be able to join us, the 3rd BR is there, or we can use it for suitcases, storing purchases, etc. They gave me a discount for the length of stay and another on for being a member of AAA, so the cost of around $700 was too good to pass up! They offer discounted park tickets too.
I've always stayed on property before at each park except for Tokyo, so this will be different and I'm still apprehensive and have a few questions, if anyone can help: how long is the drive to WDW and to Universal, since we're dying to see the Harry Potter section there? Is having to pay for parking every day a big hassle? I use the handicapped sections and I'm very concerned the situation at the MK. Is it a real problem if I need to go back to WH for a few hours during the afternoon, or if we take a break for dinner before an evening event in the parks?
I seem to recall that WH has a mini-bus that runs to WDW- has anyone used it?
We want to spend some time checking out the Christmas decorations at the WDW resorts (especially my beloved WL), but since we're not staying on property I don't know how to go about it.
I'd really appreciate and and all input, so thanks in advance
OperaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #45
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaMama View Post
We have a 10 day trip booked for December and booked a condo in WH (Sweet Dreams) thru MagicalVacationHomes. Does anyone have experience with them? So far, the process has been smooth and it was actually less expensive for the 3BR unit than it was for a 2 on some other sites. There are only 3 of us going(2 sharing the MBR, but since my youngest son might be able to join us, the 3rd BR is there, or we can use it for suitcases, storing purchases, etc. They gave me a discount for the length of stay and another on for being a member of AAA, so the cost of around $700 was too good to pass up! They offer discounted park tickets too.
I've always stayed on property before at each park except for Tokyo, so this will be different and I'm still apprehensive and have a few questions, if anyone can help: how long is the drive to WDW and to Universal, since we're dying to see the Harry Potter section there? Is having to pay for parking every day a big hassle? I use the handicapped sections and I'm very concerned the situation at the MK. Is it a real problem if I need to go back to WH for a few hours during the afternoon, or if we take a break for dinner before an evening event in the parks?
I seem to recall that WH has a mini-bus that runs to WDW- has anyone used it?
We want to spend some time checking out the Christmas decorations at the WDW resorts (especially my beloved WL), but since we're not staying on property I don't know how to go about it.
I'd really appreciate and and all input, so thanks in advance
It will take you about 12 minutes or so to get to MK parking lot then monrail/ferryboat to MK. AK and DHS is 7 minutes or so and Epcot is about the same as MK. It's no hassle to pay to park (other than having to pay), it's just like going through a toll booth. We have come home from MK for naps and it takes about 35 minutes to get back to WH because of waiting for monorail and tram to parking lot if you're too far out to walk it.
The bus that runs from WH is not their bus but a shuttle from Maingate Transportation which picks up from other resorts too.
To check out the Christmas decorations in the resorts just drive to the resort and tell them you want to check it out and you can park and go in. We've gone to a number of them just to walk around or watch fireworks.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 6 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote