Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #721
Princess_Kayla
Pre Published Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariellen102 View Post
Another day and no dates...I really hope it is not released around the holidays!!
I wish they'd just give us a month or something say "We intended to release the 2014 dates in late fall but after (such and such) we are releasing them in mid winter (A.K.A Late December Early January). Thank you for your patience!" but noooo they make us wait and wonder lol

Dream~06/15/12 Fantasy~05/31/14
Princess_Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #722
QuiltTeddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post
Totally agree.

In a friendly non judgemental way I aways find it a little bit amusing when DCL sails to Europe and the Disboard is filled with panic about how dangerous Europe is. If it isn't pick pocketing in Barcelona then it was scams in Naples or Rome.. Now the unrest and protests in Spain and Greece are top of the list of concerns.

The trouble in Spain and Greece is related to the economy, people without jobs protesting about their situation or people forced into deep austerity measures having watched those in government line their pockets. What we are not seeing is armed gangs attacking tourists (or general population)

A quick browse of US news websites shows a far higher level of gun crime and violent crime than are experienced in *most* European countries, a wider spread gang problem and plenty of areas where you mustn't go if you are a tourist. When we went to New York in the summer our local "big apple greeter" was lovely but advised us where on the map it was and was not safe to go and this was also advised by the hotel staff. Police are routinely armed in the US just as they are in parts of continental Europe (though not here in the UK)

I guess what I am saying is it is all about familiarity and perception. The threat to you as a tourist in Spain is probably no greater than to you walking round a major city in the US but because it is far away and unfamiliar there is a tendency to become alarmist.

Obviously some of the Middle Eastern ports are a different matter at the moment, but to intimate that it is possibly too dangerous for DCL to sail out of Spain is definitely painting a wholly inaccurate picture of what is happening in Spain at the moment.

Just my humble opinion,
Mel
x

Well said.

WDW Honeymoon - 1981
WDW - 1999 & Joined DVC
BWV - December, 2000 & December, 2005
WDW/Magic - Eastern - 2002
WDW/Magic - Western - 2003
25th Anniv. Cruise to Alaska on HAL- 2006
30th Anniv. Cruise to MR- Wonder - 04-03-11
Dream Cruise 03-22-12
Magic Southern Carribean 09-20-14
QuiltTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #723
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb910 View Post
We were on the Mexican Riviera cruise in March earlier this year. When in Puerto Vallarta, there were soldiers with machine guns at the port. My husband has some family members about an hour and half away from the port who drove down to see us while we were there for the day. They were held up twice on the drive! They got away unscathed both times telling the robbers that they (the robbers) had more money than they did.

But other than that, we felt ok. I grew up on a military base, so seeing soldiers walking around with machine guns is the norm for me.
Just so you know, this is not unusual or untypical for Mexican military or police... it's been their weapon choices for years. Wherever we've traveled, through Mexico, we've seen some seriously high powered weaponry in hand.
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #724
mks001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
Just so you know, this is not unusual or untypical for Mexican military or police... it's been their weapon choices for years. Wherever we've traveled, through Mexico, we've seen some seriously high powered weaponry in hand.
It is very common in Mexico, one thing that is just is odd seeing really big guys with really big machine guns walking around in this country. Last time we were in Now York they were in Times Square. Guess it is just a sign of the times.

mks001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #725
Mariellen102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Kayla View Post
I wish they'd just give us a month or something say "We intended to release the 2014 dates in late fall but after (such and such) we are releasing them in mid winter (A.K.A Late December Early January). Thank you for your patience!" but noooo they make us wait and wonder lol
I agree! I think if they made an annoucement like that they would have an increase in booking opening day!!
Mariellen102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #726
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

waiting - waiting - waiting...

Also waiting on the freeking apple store to open. Returned DWs iPad 3 today (35 days old) and now trying to get an iPad 4 instead... Better order it tonight so it gets in on Nov 2nd... She'll be out of it for a week and that's way too much already...

They did say late October... next week will still be October even if only half of it...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #727
Mariellen102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post

Also waiting on the freeking apple store to open. Returned DWs iPad 3 today (35 days old) and now trying to get an iPad 4 instead... Better order it tonight so it gets in on Nov 2nd... She'll be out of it for a week and that's way too much already...

They did say late October... next week will still be October even if only half of it...
Just curious who told you late October?!! Hope you are right!!
Mariellen102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #728
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post

DH and I were just talking about this last night. I got an ipad2 for Christmas last year. Since then, in less than 12 mths, they have released newer versions twice. These are not cheap devices. They need to slow down. It is annoying to have something outdated so fast. Once a year would be more than adequate, IMHO.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #729
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post
Totally agree.

In a friendly non judgemental way I aways find it a little bit amusing when DCL sails to Europe and the Disboard is filled with panic about how dangerous Europe is. If it isn't pick pocketing in Barcelona then it was scams in Naples or Rome.. Now the unrest and protests in Spain and Greece are top of the list of concerns.

The trouble in Spain and Greece is related to the economy, people without jobs protesting about their situation or people forced into deep austerity measures having watched those in government line their pockets. What we are not seeing is armed gangs attacking tourists (or general population)

A quick browse of US news websites shows a far higher level of gun crime and violent crime than are experienced in *most* European countries, a wider spread gang problem and plenty of areas where you mustn't go if you are a tourist. When we went to New York in the summer our local "big apple greeter" was lovely but advised us where on the map it was and was not safe to go and this was also advised by the hotel staff. Police are routinely armed in the US just as they are in parts of continental Europe (though not here in the UK)

I guess what I am saying is it is all about familiarity and perception. The threat to you as a tourist in Spain is probably no greater than to you walking round a major city in the US but because it is far away and unfamiliar there is a tendency to become alarmist.

Obviously some of the Middle Eastern ports are a different matter at the moment, but to intimate that it is possibly too dangerous for DCL to sail out of Spain is definitely painting a wholly inaccurate picture of what is happening in Spain at the moment.

Just my humble opinion,
Mel
x
I have a different take, wish i didn't. I'll preface by saying I'm a big disney and DCL fan, often travel internationally but pick-pockets and petty theft are expected and we take the obvious precautions to prevent/lessen possible loss.

my DH was stationed in med area for years when serving in navy, decades ago . He enjoyed traveling throughout the area and was treated well by most locals. We had planned to take a cruise there serveral years ago but cancelled, just not within our personal security comfort zone.

It's all within one's perspective. My concern (yes, it's remote but nagging enough thought that we'd likely book another line if we did decide to book a med cruise anytime soon) is that a DCL ship would be a very high profile target, being such an icon and having a large % of US citizens aboard. Obviously, it's a unlikely to happen and many don't feel the same way and would scoff, but i've spoken to others who have cruised the area and feel the same way. Everybody has their own threshold. There are enough guests who want to book this itinerary and I hope they have lovely travels.

Just hoping DCL keeps offering a wide variety of sailings to please everybody.

i've seen police with guns/dogs in US airport passenger areas and think it's a good idea here, let alone in foreign ports of call (especially mexico) where security presence is most welcome.

Last edited by keishashadow; 10-26-2012 at 08:12 AM.
keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #730
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Kayla View Post

+1

That would just be common sense and good, basic cutomer service. Not sure why they would be reluctant to do that, but it seems to be the case.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #731
Cdnmom2001
Mouseketeer

just spoke with DCL and I asked about the 2014 dates, she said they have not been notified of when they will be released, however she felt very strongly that it would be by month end and or early Nov. Not sure. I got a quote for 2013 but really think it maybe best to wait now(it's so close)
Mr. A -- 8 and awesome
Surprise Trip for the kids Disney Dream Cruise --April 27, 2014 - May 1st, 2014! stateroom #8188 !!! Kids are going to freak out Christmas morning
2nd Family Disney trip, May 2012 which included Magic Kindgom, Seaworld Discovery Cove and a 4 night Disney Dream Cruise, stateroom 9662, beyond incredible trip!!!

First Family Trip to Disney 2009 stayed on site at CBR, 5 days in the parks and truly 1st trip incredible memories that we will have for a lifetime
Cdnmom2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #732
linmarie12
Earning My Ears

2014 Itineraries

Has anyone heard anything about the 2014 itineraries? I heard they might be out in October (now) or as late as next year. Any information?
linmarie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #733
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

I think whatever plans they may have had for releasing them next week may be delayed by Hurricane Sandy

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #734
Princess_Kayla
Pre Published Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
I think whatever plans they may have had for releasing them next week may be delayed by Hurricane Sandy
I think they're just going to release them in January.

Dream~06/15/12 Fantasy~05/31/14
Princess_Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #735
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
I'm curious as to why you think weather would impact what they may or may not release next week? The storm is already passing by.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: