DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Indians24
Mouseketeer

Check in-has this ever happened to anyone?

Hello, all! I just got back from doing a pretty great split stay at the OKW and BCV. I had one issue though that I was wondering if anyone else has experienced. The day we switched hotels we started at Epcot and then checked into BCV so that we could use SAB in the hot afternoon hours. We checked in at noon and brought a bag with swimsuits to change into in the locker room as we figured the room would not be ready until about 4:00. The worker who checked us in at noon said that our room was in the middle of being cleaned, so we thought, awesome, we'll wait for the room and then change up there instead. After 40 minutes with no text we stopped by the desk to make sure they didn't try contacting us, and the boy said they did not and that it does take about 30-45 minutes to clean the studio. We said no problem and figured we'd get a call soon as it was well past the max time. A half hour later, still no call. We didn't want to bother the same employee again, so when he left we checked with another girl who worked there. She was very unhelpful and just said they should hear something soon. After a total of two hours of waiting I was completely fed up and just went out to the pool. We had no expectation of getting in the room before 4, but since every time we checked from noon on they assured us it would be ready soon, we just kept waiting thinking it would be any time. Well after being at the pool for 45 minutes we got the text saying the studio was ready...3 hours total later!! I feel like they just told us the room was being cleaned to make it sound good, but that just ended up wasting 2 hours of our time. I really wish we could've had that time back! Does anyone know if this is just something they tell people?
Indians24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

That is common. I consider the texting /calling room ready thing to be very unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. And that doesn't pertain just to DVC. Beach Club is actually the place I've found it the most reliable.

And I've also been told soon for getting a room when it wasn't soon at all. We generally go do something vs wait.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV

Last edited by vicki_c; 07-28-2012 at 10:40 PM.
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Indians24
Mouseketeer

Ugh, now I know housekeeping probably hasn't even touched rooms yet while the front desk is telling people their room is almost ready. I had NO problem waiting until 4:00...I just wish they wouldn't have kept us waiting and wasting our time every time we asked! I was really nice about it but was honestly fuming inside. We only had one night at BCV and unfortunately lost a big portion of it.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indians24
Ugh, now I know housekeeping probably hasn't even touched rooms yet while the front desk is telling people their room is almost ready. I had NO problem waiting until 4:00...I just wish they wouldn't have kept us waiting and wasting our time every time we asked! I was really nice about it but was honestly fuming inside. We only had one night at BCV and unfortunately lost a big portion of it.
I don't know the reason it happens. I try to think its not ever intentional. Why would it be? They don't want you coming back to the desk every 1/2 hour, right? Just bad communication with housekeeping or finding problems after the fact making rooms take longer, etc.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Indians24
Mouseketeer

Very true. I realize it wasn't the individual employee's fault. It was just sooo frustrating to never be told that there was a chance it wouldn't be "soon." But oh well, now I know for future reference.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

This is a common Front Desk response.

I think that it is just a phrase that they use because we have had our room currently being cleaned for 4 hours. The Front Desk has no idea where the Mousekeepers are in their schedule and only see a room ready status when the Mousekeeper updates that the room has been completed.

On a positive note for the last year or so the text when room ready system seems to be working much better.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

The room may have been trashed. That's the only time we had been told that our room was being cleaned and yet it took hours to get the room. We know it was trashed because we got a text that it was ready only to go up to find at least 3 CM's cleaning, and when we finally got the room there was miss matched chairs by the kitchen "bar" area.

In June, we were told the room was being cleaned, also at BCV, and got into it within 1/2 hour.

My bet is on the room needing extra cleaning. Sorry that happened to you.

Bobbi
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

We have had this happen on arrival at OKW, waited til past 6:30pm til room was ready. We waited at least 4 hrs.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indians24 View Post
Hello, all! I just got back from doing a pretty great split stay at the OKW and BCV. I had one issue though that I was wondering if anyone else has experienced. The day we switched hotels we started at Epcot and then checked into BCV so that we could use SAB in the hot afternoon hours. We checked in at noon and brought a bag with swimsuits to change into in the locker room as we figured the room would not be ready until about 4:00. The worker who checked us in at noon said that our room was in the middle of being cleaned, so we thought, awesome, we'll wait for the room and then change up there instead. After 40 minutes with no text we stopped by the desk to make sure they didn't try contacting us, and the boy said they did not and that it does take about 30-45 minutes to clean the studio. We said no problem and figured we'd get a call soon as it was well past the max time. A half hour later, still no call. We didn't want to bother the same employee again, so when he left we checked with another girl who worked there. She was very unhelpful and just said they should hear something soon. After a total of two hours of waiting I was completely fed up and just went out to the pool. We had no expectation of getting in the room before 4, but since every time we checked from noon on they assured us it would be ready soon, we just kept waiting thinking it would be any time. Well after being at the pool for 45 minutes we got the text saying the studio was ready...3 hours total later!! I feel like they just told us the room was being cleaned to make it sound good, but that just ended up wasting 2 hours of our time. I really wish we could've had that time back! Does anyone know if this is just something they tell people?
I don't know if the computer updates when the housekeeper is actually working in the room. I know the housekeeper picks up the phone and enters a code when it is actually ready. I also heard that they are having a supervisor check the rooms, so that may also take time.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Based on a comment found on another thread, the housekeeper may have been eating lunch in your villa or taking a break watching TV.

Expect your villa at 4PM or later. Any earlier is gravy.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Granny

Is a REAL man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

Expect your villa at 4PM or later. Any earlier is gravy.
The OP indicated that they didn't expect their room earlier than 4:00. Just frustrated that they were told "soon" when it really wasn't going to be ready for 3 hours.

To the OP, to answer your question, yes we have been told "soon" before and it took almost 4 hours. It was on our second WDW visit and we kept hanging around the resort rather than going to the parks.

After that, no matter what we heard we never waited around for a room. And I don't recall ever getting a text within an hour of being told "soon". So if the room isn't ready when you check in, just put your bags with bell services and start enjoying the day!!

(yep, I'm a guy)

Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
The OP indicated that they didn't expect their room earlier than 4:00. Just frustrated that they were told "soon" when it really wasn't going to be ready for 3 hours....
Exactly. When you hear "soon", it's not the same as "it's ready!". Soon = after 4PM, no matter what they say.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
crisi
DIS Veteran

Frankly, Disney used to be great at managing expectations (maybe 20 years ago) and its really slipped. This is one example of it.

Remember when you used to get into a "40 minute wait" line in the MK and it was never more than 30 minutes? Now, the system is way more automated, and worse, a 40 minute wait is almost always a little over 40 minutes. They used to be Scotty "I can't possibly have the warp engines ready in less than 3 days...20 minutes, I'll see what I can do." Now they've decided guests are happier when you promise 20 minutes and it takes 30. Or when you are told your room will be ready in half an hour, and it takes two.

And its all over the place - show up for a 6pm reservation at 5:50 like you are supposed to, get seated at 6:20 because they've overbooked - and now you've wasted 30 minutes of your vacation time sitting in front of Le Cellier holding the flashy thing. Ten years ago I can remember having to wait once for a table when we showed up on time, now it seems like its more often than not.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Indians24
Mouseketeer

Sorry to hear this happened to so many of you! I did start to wonder whether it was even true that it showed in the computer system when a room was getting cleaned, lol. I agree that customer service overall in Disney could be a little bit better. I just wouldn't hold any individual employee responsible as I know they only do what they're told. But oh well, now I know in the future not to listen when they say my room is currently being cleaned. On a positive note, my patio furniture was nice and clean, which was very much appreciated as it was filthy at OKW!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

The one time I was going to wait on the text/call, I was in the room for two hours before the text came through to my phone. When I called the front desk to ask why; they stated that the room just came available in their system and how was I able to get into the room. I informed them that I called around noon and was told the room was ready.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: