Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #1336
JM1226
Mouseketeer

We're staying in the Nemo suites in April. I prefer a quieter room bc I have a 3yr who's a light sleeper and really don't want her up at 10:30 bc of outside noise. What part of the building does everyone suggest I stay in or where should I avoid?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #1337
StinkiePete
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeye View Post
My trip has been planed for a very long time (3 years) and now I'm just under 8 weeks. A beloved family member has been fighting cancer for a long time now, but after the Dr. put her on a new Chemo med. about two months ago she has improved tremendously and has looked and felt wonderful. Her bad tests results have turned around and the last tests were so improved it was amazing. Then we got a phone call only several days ago that the Drs at the center have DC'd all of her treatments and put her on hospice and gave her 4-8 weeks to live. We were totally blindsided. Our trip is now just under 8 weeks. It certainly puts the question of the trip up in the air. Yesterday a call came saying that she had passed away. We are in total shock. The trip is certainly safe from a family funeral now, but my head is spinning. I feel like all of the magic is gone. I don't have any interest in finishing the craft projects I've been working on for our trip and I'm just not able to think straight. When I think of being in 'The Happiest Place on Earth' I think of all of the things I'd see that I would have wanted to buy as gifts for her. I don't know how much pixie dust there could be to get me through this.

WOW! I'm very sorry for your loss. Maybe your trip will let you take your mind off of things. Please don't feel guilty for going. Your family member would probably only want happiness for you.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1338
stephie1012
DIS Veteran

anyone who is there now is the splash pad open?
February 2010-CBR
February 2011-offsite Star Island
Sept/Oct 2012 AoA
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #1339
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeye View Post
My trip has been planed for a very long time (3 years) and now I'm just under 8 weeks. A beloved family member has been fighting cancer for a long time now, but after the Dr. put her on a new Chemo med. about two months ago she has improved tremendously and has looked and felt wonderful. Her bad tests results have turned around and the last tests were so improved it was amazing. Then we got a phone call only several days ago that the Drs at the center have DC'd all of her treatments and put her on hospice and gave her 4-8 weeks to live. We were totally blindsided. Our trip is now just under 8 weeks. It certainly puts the question of the trip up in the air. Yesterday a call came saying that she had passed away. We are in total shock. The trip is certainly safe from a family funeral now, but my head is spinning. I feel like all of the magic is gone. I don't have any interest in finishing the craft projects I've been working on for our trip and I'm just not able to think straight. When I think of being in 'The Happiest Place on Earth' I think of all of the things I'd see that I would have wanted to buy as gifts for her. I don't know how much pixie dust there could be to get me through this.
I am so very sorry.

We are able to go on our trip because a very beloved family member died and left us some money. We were heartbroken, but were able to use most of it to pay things off and save and put aside the rest for this. We know he would be thrilled that's what we're doing. (He loved our boys so much ...)

I'm going to have our boys stand in front of the castle with a photo of him so I can get a pic, and that will go in our scrapbook as a memorial. I think that would make him so happy. Perhaps a few memorials to your family member would help you? Think of ways you might be able to honor her while you're there. Maybe it's too soon for that; I don't know. But it's helped us.

Again, condolences. And hugs.

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #1340
Arspring99
Earning My Ears

Pros and cons about the little mermaid room:

Pro:
Beautifully decorated
Clean
Pool area near lm is small but nice
Good for kids
Two double beds
Small fridge

Cons:
Paper thin walls...can hear everything,even on the 4th floor. Kids screaming, housekeeping banging around
Housekeeping waking us up at 830am
Small room
Lack of drawer space...only 3 drawers
Old 09-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #1341
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

GO!!! My mother is a two time cancer survivor, by the grace of GOD! We lost Daddy last year to cancer ~ diagnosed and passed within 3 weeks. One big thing we learned during the time that mom was being treated, is that life is short (my motto is "life is short, eat dessert first") ~ enjoy as much as you can with your loved ones who are still here and celebrate to honor the person you lost. If you go into your trip with that mindset you will be able to enjoy yourself because you know you are doing it in celebration of that person's life. I think if you choose not to go, you will end up regretting it.

My DH and our DD's (age 21) are going back again in May together. Just making plans to take Mom in December (only her second trip ever) so she can be there for the NYE fireworks. Disney is my favorite place on earth and I go every chance I get, which while it's not as often as I would like, it's always worth the wait.

Saying a prayer for you and your family ~ cancer sucks, don't let it ruin your trip or you memories of the one you lost.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #1342
SelfEmployedDebtFree
If I hadn't just been sitting in it; I'd swear you had lost your mind! (Tim Burton's Corpse Bride)

Quote:
The desserts seemed to be lacking in comparison to other resorts. Just eh. Cupcakes, all the same basically, and one flavor of cheesecake. They had a sampler pack of mini cupcakes and cheesecake bites. No chocolate cake, no chocolate eared mickey mouse rice crispie on a stick...so sad!
Just realized... no tye-dyed cheesecake without a trip across the lake...

Again.. apologies if this has been answered, (have been skimming) but Pop Century is notorious for HOT rooms (AC is sensor monitored and shuts down for the night when your sleeping) I realize its not as hot of a time of year, so is the AC in the Little Mermaid rooms sufficient? There have been trips in the past to Pop when I'd have LOVED a fan at night. I'm not beyond bringing one for a freezer cold nights sleep.

Favorite Walt Disney World drink: "Beverly" in Club Cool!

Cameras used: Olympus Stylus 410, Konica Minolta Dimage Z2, RED Pentax K-x DSLR
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #1343
sixkristy6
DIS Veteran

7 days until I can check in online!! I am about to buy MNSSHP tickets After all this planning, I am getting nervous that I have not planned enough.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #1344
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkristy6 View Post
7 days until I can check in online!! I am about to buy MNSSHP tickets After all this planning, I am getting nervous that I have not planned enough.
We get to do our online check in on Saturday! Its getting close
Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #1345
deedee2177
Disney Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree View Post
Just realized... no tye-dyed cheesecake without a trip across the lake...

Again.. apologies if this has been answered, (have been skimming) but Pop Century is notorious for HOT rooms (AC is sensor monitored and shuts down for the night when your sleeping) I realize its not as hot of a time of year, so is the AC in the Little Mermaid rooms sufficient? There have been trips in the past to Pop when I'd have LOVED a fan at night. I'm not beyond bringing one for a freezer cold nights sleep.
Someone mentioned in a previous post on here that the AC in the AoA rooms are also sensor activated, however they recommended keeping a helium balloon in the room and it keeps the sensor from turning the unit off at night. I thought that was a pretty clever idea.

April 2014 PTR - Trip with the Grandmas http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3164112
Old 09-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #1346
mommy2paisley
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arspring99 View Post
Pros and cons about the little mermaid room:

Pro:
Beautifully decorated
Clean
Pool area near lm is small but nice
Good for kids
Two double beds
Small fridge

Cons:
Paper thin walls...can hear everything,even on the 4th floor. Kids screaming, housekeeping banging around
Housekeeping waking us up at 830am
Small room
Lack of drawer space...only 3 drawers

Is that standard that the small fridge is in? I didn't think value rooms had fridges and would be overly THRILLED if the LM rooms standard had one!!!

Next Disney vacation is two whole weeks at Thanksgiving!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #1347
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2paisley View Post
Is that standard that the small fridge is in? I didn't think value rooms had fridges and would be overly THRILLED if the LM rooms standard had one!!!
they all have fridges in them now! its in the dresser piece.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #1348
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

All value hotels at Disney now come with a fridge. They do not have a freezer compartment. The one we had in POP last June kept our stuff as cold as a the fridge at home.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #1349
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie1012
anyone who is there now is the splash pad open?
Yes!!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #1350
mickeye
DIS Veteran

To everyone who offered me kind words, condolences and advice, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know that the advice you offered is good. Especially since some of it comes from your personal experience. I am taking your words to heart and will absolutely find a way to memorialize my loved one on my trip and hard as it will be, I will rejoice in her and have a very special visit to remember.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: