Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #3076
mickeyfan0805
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coruth4 View Post
We are planning a trip in January 2014 & have already booked our rooms. But I am struggling with trying to justify the price. I am finding moderates that are priced far cheaper & historically Disney offers better room discounts and standard free dining for moderates, as opposed to the values that only get counter service free dining and minimal room discounts.
My party is now small enough that we don't have to stay in a suite (although we prefer them) & therefore can save even more by staying in a standard room.
Since we can visit the report to see all the amazing decor - what else does it offer to justify the added expense over say Port Orleans or Caribbean? Just wondering if the money is better spent at another resort and staying for longer?
Thanks for any input!
I think this depends on your needs and priorities. As a family of 5, our options for stays are somewhat limited (if we were a family of 4, I don't think there's any way we'd spend the money on a AoA suite). This is why we bought DVC in the first place, but we don't have the necessary points for our next trip, so we are doing a 1 time, and 1 time only, visit to AoA in order to get the room size and allow out 4 year-old son to enjoy the Cars suite. I don't expect we'll ever stay at AoA again (we could have rented DVC for little more than we're paying), but we bit the bullet for one time.

As a family that gets to Disney with moderate regularity (every 12-18 months), we decided we would spend more on housing one time in order to give the kids the experience. If you are working with a hard max on what you can spend on housing, however, and don't get to Disney too often, I would be more apt to spend the money on a LONGER visit than on a suite at AoA.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #3077
piglet33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISvirgin1 View Post
I have to say, I went in with a totally open mind, especially since we are a pretty active family. And it was long. Especially when Florida was in the middle of a cold snap (I think it was in the low 30's our first couple of nights) My kids really loved the LM room, but for future visits we will probably stay at POP and pay for a room closer to the bus stop. I don't mind touring the resort when we don't have other places to be/things to do - but to have to do it daily to get from point A to point B? Not so much. I don't want to be a downer, but I want to be honest.
Thanks for this honest info. Right now, I have a LM room booked for our August trip but am really thinking of switching it to LK. My DD loves LK and really wants to stay there. I just wasn't sure about spending the extra money for it since it will be just the two of us until my DH joins us for our Disney Cruise. After the cruise, we'll be back at AoA but will keep the LM room since it's only one night.
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #3078
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

You know what I would love? A video. Someone start our at the furthest Cars and walk to the buses , them the furthest LM and to the buses , and just let the tape roll. I have mapquested and google mapped it several times and unless someone is walking tiptoe and stopping at every flower, icon and climber, I just can not see how it us 15 minutes from LM to the bus stop. I did the same for the walk from ASSports football rooms to the food court (a room I have stayed in before) and it is still longer than the LM room.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #3079
Rychelle924
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coruth4

We are planning a trip in January 2014 & have already booked our rooms. But I am struggling with trying to justify the price. I am finding moderates that are priced far cheaper & historically Disney offers better room discounts and standard free dining for moderates, as opposed to the values that only get counter service free dining and minimal room discounts.
My party is now small enough that we don't have to stay in a suite (although we prefer them) & therefore can save even more by staying in a standard room.
Since we can visit the report to see all the amazing decor - what else does it offer to justify the added expense over say Port Orleans or Caribbean? Just wondering if the money is better spent at another resort and staying for longer?
Thanks for any input!
Well, we are booked in a Lion King Suite for December. We don't need a suite (4 of us and our boys are both under 10 so no need for the space) honestly, can I justify the cost. Nope! Lol am I still doing it, yupp! Hahaha I was originally booked at Wilderness Lodge. My kids saw AoA online and freaked out. I'm paying pretty much the same amount for a value suite as a deluxe but I figure my boys are only little for so long so why not give them the child friendly resort they fell in love with online. So we switched lol thier excitement is my only justification and that makes it worth it to my husband and I
Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #3080
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post
You know what I would love? A video. Someone start our at the furthest Cars and walk to the buses , them the furthest LM and to the buses , and just let the tape roll. I have mapquested and google mapped it several times and unless someone is walking tiptoe and stopping at every flower, icon and climber, I just can not see how it us 15 minutes from LM to the bus stop. I did the same for the walk from ASSports football rooms to the food court (a room I have stayed in before) and it is still longer than the LM room.
I have stayed in the football rooms at AS Sports and the walk from our room to the main building was 3 mins.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #3081
mickeyfan0805
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post
Yep - I did a similar thing out of curiosity. I got 4/10's of a mile from the farthest point at the LM rooms to the center of Animation Hall. Even at a leisurely pace of roughly 2.5mph, that's a 10 minute walk.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #3082
sturowski
Mouseketeer

We stayed in little mermaid in September. We timed each walk and it took us 6-7minutes normally from room to food/bus stop.. One time took 10 minutes but the kids were slacking a bit.. I have had much further walks at CBR and POR..
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #3083
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturowski
We stayed in little mermaid in September. We timed each walk and it took us 6-7minutes normally from room to food/bus stop.. One time took 10 minutes but the kids were slacking a bit.. I have had much further walks at CBR and POR..
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! thank you!!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #3084
Jacindyyy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMinnie

I have not read the review you mentioned, but even Disney screws up sometimes. Disney is not perfect and some complaints are valid.

Without reading the review, I have no idea if this person has a valid complaint or not.

We are staying in the LM rooms and I'm dreading it, honestly. Once I'm off the bus, I don't want to trudge another 10-15 mins to get to my room.
It's about 4 mins to the room. 5 or 6 tops if you walk slower!
The walk is not far at all, I have a knee condition and still it didn't bother me. :/
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #3085
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

We are a family of four and we're staying in a suite. However, we also had a bit of a windfall right before booking our trip, which made it more feasible. (Otherwise we'd be crammed in a Pop room. And still very happy about it. )

We considered staying at AKL ... which is where DH and I spent our honeymoon, and we have a seriously soft spot for it ... but when looking at the two resorts, just decided AoA was the best option for our family right now.

I'm pretty sure the boys will like the AoA theming better, as much as DH and I love AKL. And the suite layout lets them have their own bed and "room," which is key with restless-sleeper DS8 and active DS4. The kitchette will help a lot, as will the two bathrooms. And when traveling with two small children ... neither of whom have been away for such an extended vacation before ... I think the space will be key for all of us.

And I'd be lying if I didn't say DH is pleased we'll have our own room.

It's all about what's right, and possible, for individual families.

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #3086
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacindyyy View Post
The walk is not far at all, I have a knee condition and still it didn't bother me. :/
I'll find out in a few weeks.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #3087
Marblies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays2013 View Post
We are a family of four and we're staying in a suite. However, we also had a bit of a windfall right before booking our trip, which made it more feasible. (Otherwise we'd be crammed in a Pop room. And still very happy about it. )

And I'd be lying if I didn't say DH is pleased we'll have our own room.

It's all about what's right, and possible, for individual families.
You may end up with a really expensive souvie.

2008 A**Cheer, 2008 ASM Girl's trip, 2009 ASM with DH too, 2010 POP Girl's Christmas trip, 2011 POP Just Girls, 2012 AoA Last girl's only trip EVER? (DD22 is getting married and doesn't think she can leave her hubby at home like I do), Feb.2013 POP to SS to AoA Crashing the Disneymoon with the inlaws! Sept. 2013 POP Girl's trip
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #3088
coruth4
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the feedback! My son is looking forward to the Cars suite & originally we were prepared to bite the bullet this one time only. I guess we will have to wait and see how finances shake out & if there are any discounts. It seems that it's the novelty of the resort that seems to be drawing people there - for one stay at least. I wonder how many guests will end up returning or changing to different resorts on future trips due to the cost.
Thank you again for everyone's thoughts on the matter - it has helped!
All Star Music Family Suite December 2009
Pop Century August 2007
Fort Wilderness Campground July 2005
Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #3089
dmbcanada
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacindyyy View Post
I look forward to finding out that it only takes 5 minutes! I am training just in case it takes longer.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #3090
Jimbo352
Earning My Ears

I am traveling there in August with 2, 2 1/2 yr olds, is there any other resorts anyone recommends with kids that little??? And maybe this should be in a different thread but we made reservations for dinner 1 night at chef mickeys, someone just told me it was gross for dinner and to go there for breakfast??? Please help a confused parent who wants to make the Tripp perfect for everyone!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: