Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #2476
GiJohnsGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2four
Planning a week long trip in mid-May and AOA is one of the resorts we are considering.

As a family of 6, we generate a LOT of laundry on vacation. I've read a few reviews about the laundry facilities at AOA being too small and people having to wait in long lines to wash their clothes. This is very concerning to me.

For those of you who have already stayed at AOA, how did you find the laundry facilities? Is there a time of day that is better/worse? I'm willing to get up at 5am and wash clothes if that's what I need to do!

Thanks for the help!
I never really had a problem washing and we went right before the 4th of July. I always do it at night 8-10 pm and it is pretty vacant. Also Indian food is great!

Sept 2010 ASMovies
Jan 2012 Pop
July 2012 Art of Animation
April 2013 Pop Adults only trip
June 2013 Dream First DCL!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #2477
KMcCP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2four View Post
Planning a week long trip in mid-May and AOA is one of the resorts we are considering.

As a family of 6, we generate a LOT of laundry on vacation. I've read a few reviews about the laundry facilities at AOA being too small and people having to wait in long lines to wash their clothes. This is very concerning to me.

For those of you who have already stayed at AOA, how did you find the laundry facilities? Is there a time of day that is better/worse? I'm willing to get up at 5am and wash clothes if that's what I need to do!

Thanks for the help!
I personally didnt have good luck with the laundry... it took me three visits before I could finally get a machine and looked in both the LM area and the main one near the pool. I tried once after bedtime, once early am, and finally got a machine late morning one day after taking it once someone's laundry finished. I was getting desperate since I really didnt pack myself enough hot weather clothes! We were there the first week of december. But like it's been said, others didnt have any problems. Good Luck!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #2478
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_atomic
Just looked at the menus from the earlier post, it's nice to see Indian type food available somewhere in the WDW as the wife and I couldn't think of anywhere else that had it on our last trip...

Also, has anyone got any feedback on the Indian food, hopefully is good and will make archangel from all the burgers and chicken strips on counter service lol
I ate the tandoori chicken with Naan, cauliflower and one other side that I can't remember and I really enjoyed it!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ; 5/2015 - WL
Old 01-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #2479
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidJudy
This may have been covered already, but I don't have the time to read all 165 pages!

how's the bus system there? We stayed at Carribean Beach last year and it took so incredibly long to get to any of the parks. we left the room 1 hour before our breakfast reservation one morning and STILL missed it! i felt like so much of our vacation was spent sitting on a bus.

Do the busses make multiple stops at AOA? Did anyone have a particularly good or bad bus experience there?

Thanks!
I preferred the bus system to any of the moderates we've stayed at in the past. I liked that there was one stop so it wasn't like a bus filled up at the main location and we couldn't get on since there was one line. The service for us was excellent. No long wants except for after the Christmas party and EMH at Epcot.

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ; 5/2015 - WL
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #2480
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_atomic View Post
Just looked at the menus from the earlier post, it's nice to see Indian type food available somewhere in the WDW as the wife and I couldn't think of anywhere else that had it on our last trip...

Also, has anyone got any feedback on the Indian food, hopefully is good and will make archangel from all the burgers and chicken strips on counter service lol
so THAT'S what Michael, the archangel is made of! is that what Gabriel is made of, too? (what about Harold? you know, as in , "hark! the Harold angel sings")

sorry, couldn't resist. (if it helps, I make tons of typos!)

Last edited by smidgy; 01-02-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #2481
bigkid@disney
If you see someone without a smile, give them yours! It works, try it!!!

Question Slushies.... (Icee's)

Last time we stayed at POP, they had slushies that were free with the refillable mugs. Does AOA have the slushies as well?

Thanks,
Pop Century January 2004 Port Orleans Dixie Landings 1995
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #2482
SarahJN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkid@disney View Post
Last time we stayed at POP, they had slushies that were free with the refillable mugs. Does AOA have the slushies as well?

Thanks,
If they did, I didn't see them anywhere. I would have loved an Icee!

Read my trip reports!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #2483
smidgy
dimples

don't know about AOA, but Pop hasn'thad them for a couple years now.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #2484
RocketCityMama
Mouseketeer

Just popping in to say that even though our trip is quite a ways out, we're (hubby and I ) are excited about staying at AoA. Our kids have no clue that we are going to come back to Disney in 2014, but it's fun looking at all the pictures and info now.

I wonder if the walking is any more than what it was at CSR? We stayed in Casita 5 each time and while it was a trek to the main building it wasn't to bad. Of course it helped to have a bus stop near by though.

I LOVE CSR but am looking forward to staying at a more Disney themed resort next time.
1996 ~2nd Trip ~Shades of Green
Dec 27-29, 2008 ~3rd Trip (DD1 & 2 & DH 1st trip)Coronado Springs
May 22-29, 2009 ~4th Trip Coronado Springs
*~*~*~*Planning next trip soon*~*~*~*
&
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #2485
capt_atomic
To Disneyworld .....AND BEYOND!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
so THAT'S what Michael, the archangel is made of! is that what Gabriel is made of, too? (what about Harold? you know, as in , "hark! the Harold angel sngs")

sorry, couldn't resist. (if it helps, I make tons of typos!)
Lol! I didn't even notice that my iPad had gone into catholic priest autocorrect mode
AoA WDW sept 2013, Dlp Santa fe jan 2013, Pop century 2012, pop century 2011, pop century 2010, DLP Santa fe 2008, pop century 2007, pop century 2006, all star sports 2005, 2002 off property, 2001 off property, 1999 off property, 1994 off property

Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #2486
bluezy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I wouldn't buy the refillable mug until you have made th walk from your room to the food court a time or 2.

We had refillable mugs since we were part of the dining plan but barely used them. When we got back from the parks, the last thing we wanted to do was go back to the room, then back to the food court and back to the room again. If you have a car and can keep them there and get them on your way back, it's a different story.

A couple times I knew I had the refillable mug in the room but just bought a new drink on our way back off the bus at the end of the day rather than wal back and get it.
A possible solution would be to store the mugs in a locker by the main pool area when you leave for the parks. We have done that at Pop Century when we had a long walk from our room to the main building. The lockers were located in the changing rooms/bathrooms by the pool and cost $.75 (I think) for the day. There were probably 20-30 lockers in the room but never more than a handful were in use. We'd drop off the mugs on our way to the bus in the morning and then retrieve them when we returned in the evening and fill them up before heading to our room. I don't know for sure that AoA has lockers near the main pool, but I'm assuming they do. Maybe someone who has been there can let us know.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #2487
thej
DIS Veteran

Well, I knew it was too good to last. I had been looking forward to staying at AoA, but it all started to fall apart a couple of days ago:

First - my son told me he wasn't interested in staying in a Little Mermaid themed room,
Then - there's no discounts with the current DIsney Visa promotion.
Plus - I keep hearing the bus service is so spotty...
And - there are a lot of complaints about the walk from LM to LoF
Besides - my AP expired (and I have no reason to renew it) therefore we also need tickets.

So... I just changed our reservation from a LM room at AoA to a PoP standard room for our SWW trip this year. With the Disney Visa promotion, it saved me $300 on 6 nights + 7 day tickets for my son and I. We love PoP, so this is hardly a downgrade for me.

We will walk across the bridge or take the AoA bus back one day to visit LoF and walk around the resort.

OTOH, if my wife decides to go, we may still wind up at AKL... darn.

1977 - 1st trip to MK | 85-95 - day trips | Jun 88 - Disney Inn | May 90 - Grad Nite | May 03 - DCL | Jan 09 - CR
Jan 10 - CSR | Jun 10 - PoP | Feb 11 - ASMu | Jun 11 - DCL Alaska | Jan 12 - PoP/AKL | Jun 12 - AKL | May 13 CSR
Oct 13 - 1st Disneyland visit! | May 14 SWW- AKL

Last edited by thej; 01-02-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #2488
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_atomic View Post

I had never had Indian Food and figured out after trying it at AoA and the F&W Festival that I probably don't like Indian Food.

The things I did like were the Naan bread, the tandoori chicken was edible. I had the basmati rice that I disliked, there are seeds of somekind in the rice and I didn't like them. The califluer was okay but the red sauce it was in was not to my liking and the spinach was cooked in what looked like tumeric or maybe safron but was way undersalted and not very tasty. The cheese itself in the spinache was okay but the spinache was a bust.

I thought maybe it was the food but then at F&W I had the vegitarian chicken curry and hated it as well. My friend who likes Indian food said it was good so I'm thinking it's just me.

I think if you like Indian you may be okay, I just didn't like the taste of the spices so couldn't tell you if it was good or not taste wise, but I will tell you that the food was texturally and technically cooked very well. Rice was seperated and fluffy, spinache was not mush or soggy and still had texture, the califluer was also firm and not overcooked. The chicken was not rubbery and was not bland. The bread was a little on the oily side but not so much that it was inedible.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #2489
The V Gang
The V Gang

Towels - are they an issue?

My family is planning on staying at the AoA in April. We've always stayed at Deluxe resorts except for our last visit which was two rooms in POR. While we thought POR was nice I did not like the outdoor walk ways and the distance from the mansion rooms to the food court. Also wasn't thrilled about walking thru a parking lot to get to the nearest bus stop.

We have 5 kids (9,8,6,5,1) and while POR and AoA are similar in cost, we figured we would try AoA since we are in no hurry to return to POR. I'm so nervous about some of the reviews I've heard about having to use bath towels at the pool and having a hard time getting fresh towels.

Can anyone who has visited AoA recently tell me about their experiance with towel service? Did you have to go to the front desk to get fresh towels? Was housekeeping responsive? Did having to bring towels down from your room put a damper on the vacation feel (we would need to drag 7 towels down..aghhh)? Any suggestions?

Do the other value resorts do the same thing? I can't understand why Disney wouldn't supply towels poolside. One way or another guests will need fresh towels to bathe.

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #2490
dansdad
DIS Veteran

None of the values have had towels at the pool when we've stayed. We've never had an issue though. We always bring the ones that are in our room and call housekeeping to bring more. By the time we're back in the room, there's a fresh load of towels.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: