Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Disneyfied4
Mouseketeer

Connecting Rooms...your experience

Hello! We want to get connecting rooms for our Fall trip. I've talked with reservations numerous times and get a different answer each time. What has been your experience? Did you book directly thru Disney and have both rooms on the same reservation? TIA!
Disneyfied4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfied4 View Post
Hello! We want to get connecting rooms for our Fall trip. I've talked with reservations numerous times and get a different answer each time. What has been your experience? Did you book directly thru Disney and have both rooms on the same reservation? TIA!
You need to have the 2 reservations linked and noted on the reservation you would like connecting rooms. They tend to give the connect rooms to those who need to put an adult in each room,( for ex. a family that has 2 adults and 4 kids and the occupancy for the rooms are 4).
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfied4 View Post
A lot will depend on what hotel and and what time you arrive.

If you check in early and not available you can wait until one opens up. However if you arrive 6pm or later, the later you arrive the fewer options you will have.

Also some hotels have more connecting rooms than others. If you know which ones you are interested in read the thread for that hotel/s. usually on the first page it will mention connecting rooms info.

I booked online once and got the connecting room I needed.
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
disneyba
Greetings from the Ottawa Valley

Smile

We have asked for connecting rooms on each of our six most recent stays...always through Disney central booking and always linked the reservations with a special request. We have stayed at CBR, POR (twice), POFQ (twice), and BC. We generally arrive before noon (early flight).

Of the six stays, we have been given connecting rooms three times, so a 50% success rate. The other three times, we were put in the same building, same floor, and sometimes adjoining. Don't know why, but our worst luck was at POFQ.

The other three times, we have asked for connecting rooms at the check-in desk, but have been told the only way to get them was to come back next morning and make the request again. Then they would move us to new rooms. I think this is an effective way of deflecting such requests, since many people will just settle into what they have been given and not want the bother of moving the next day.

I think they try their best, as you can see from our experience.

Last edited by disneyba; 05-09-2013 at 04:37 AM.
disneyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post

If you check in early and not available you can wait until one opens up. However if you arrive 6pm or later, the later you arrive the fewer options you will have.

Also some hotels have more connecting rooms than others.
This!!! The later you arrive, the less rooms they have to offer you.

My Dreams Unlimited TA has told me that when we want connecting rooms, we are smart to avoid the All Star Music and The Contemporary resorts. The Contemporary has a limited number of connecting rooms, and the All Star Music turned many of their's into Family Suites.

Just remember connecting rooms are never guaranteed. Nothing really is, except you will get rooms at a Disney resort. Room location, room type, even resort are all subject to availability. They do their best to meet requests, but they are never ever 100% guaranteed.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
MOQu
Disney Fanatic

Of the three times we have requested connecting rooms at Pop, we got connecting rooms all 3 times. In fact, when we went last Christmas, we had one room for 7 days with a reservation adding the second room 3 days after the first and when we checked into the second room found out that they were able to give us the connecting room! Gotta love that pixie dust!

MOQu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

I guess it depends how busy it is. I've received connecting rooms 3 times even though I didn't request them. We were traveling together and requested rooms near each other. last time we stayed at POR they checked in 2 days after us. I noticed that the room next door was empty and sure enough that's where they put them.

The 3 places we receibed them were POR, CSR and Pop

Last edited by msjprincess; 05-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

We have requested and received connecting rooms at: SoG, AKL, Poly and BWI. We have requested connecting rooms for our upcoming trips at POR and YC.

We always book directly through Disney and request connecting rooms and linked reservations at the time of booking. We also noticed the last few times that when we did online check in, this request got erased somehow. We then called Disney to make sure the request was still in the system. We also make our request known at check in.

We always check in before noon and we travel at slow times.. December, February, October.

Hope you have a magical vacation!

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) | Sep 2014 POR |
SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Have asked for them 3 times and got them twice. Unfortunately the one time we didn't get connecting rooms was when we really needed them. It was my wife and I and 5 kids. Not only did we not get connecting rooms, our rooms were in 2 different buildings so we had to split up. That was when I found out the hard way that no matter how many CMs tell you your connecting rooms are guaranteed, the most definitely are not. We still had a great trip, but it was a little disjointed.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
teentoddlermom
DIS Veteran

Asked for and received once at Pop.

2 summers ago I was traveling with my sister and her 2 kids, one with special needs. I had the reservations linked and also called a few times to reiterate the request for connecting rooms, explaining that separating would be hard for the special needs child. I think they may have added it as a medical request. The connecting rooms were a lifesaver. Good Luck!

October 1974, May and November 1985, August 1992, Offsite, August 1998 CSR, August 2003 GF Sugarloaf, August 2004 YC CL, August and November 2005 BWI CL and ASMu, August 2006 AKL, August 2007 WL, February 2008 YC, August 2008 [COLOR="red"]POP[/COLOR], July 2009 GF, Feb 2010 BC CL Feb 2011 BWI, Aug 2011 POP, Feb 2012 PORS, Aug 2012 PORS, April 2013 AoA and PORS, July 2013 ASSp, August 2013 DLH, Dec 2013 CBR, Feb 2014 PORS, July 2014 AKL August 2014, ASSp Nov 2014 POFQ, The teen is now in Law school, the toddler is in High school, but my username remains the same! (and I haven't aged)
teentoddlermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

We have requested twice and received twice. We booked directly through Disney.
Both times I also did online check in about 10 days before, so that may be a factor.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Wistraveler
Mouse Over

If the rooms are on the same reservation, or on linked ressies, your chances are pretty good at getting connecting rooms, as long as you do it through Disney reservations. You may want to explain a special circumstance as a reason why you need connecting rooms.

I have had no issue getting them whenever needed.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post

Also some hotels have more connecting rooms than others. If you know which ones you are interested in read the thread for that hotel/s. usually on the first page it will mention connecting rooms info.

I booked online once and got the connecting room I needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
This!!! The later you arrive, the less rooms they have to offer you.

My Dreams Unlimited TA has told me that when we want connecting rooms, we are smart to avoid the All Star Music and The Contemporary resorts. The Contemporary has a limited number of connecting rooms, and the All Star Music turned many of their's into Family Suites.

Just remember connecting rooms are never guaranteed. Nothing really is, except you will get rooms at a Disney resort. Room location, room type, even resort are all subject to availability. They do their best to meet requests, but they are never ever 100% guaranteed.
Exactly this. It also depends on occupancy levels. If the hotel is near max occupancy the week you arrive, there is little that can be done. If 50 people post to say they have received connecting rooms and 1 poster says they did not, it doesn't mean your chances are any better because it depends on occupancy levels when you're traveling. So unfortunately, it's luck of the draw.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

We asked for them 3 times and got them only once. The other two times we did get adjoining rooms, but it really wasn't what we wanted. It seems to be hit or miss. Good Luck!!

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
BlackMagicWoman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyba View Post
We have asked for connecting rooms on each of our six most recent stays...always through Disney central booking and always linked the reservations with a special request. We have stayed at CBR, POR (twice), POFQ (twice), and BC. We generally arrive before noon (early flight).

Of the six stays, we have been given connecting rooms three times, so a 50% success rate. The other three times, we were put in the same building, same floor, and sometimes adjoining. Don't know why, but our worst luck was at POFQ.

The other three times, we have asked for connecting rooms at the check-in desk, but have been told the only way to get them was to come back next morning and make the request again. Then they would move us to new rooms. I think this is an effective way of deflecting such requests, since many people will just settle into what they have been given and not want the bother of moving the next day.

I think they try their best, as you can see from our experience.
I've stayed at POFQ three times. Requested connecting rooms each time and got them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: