Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #646
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybet View Post
I get the feeling that the judges would have been nice no matter what dance Bristol did, maybe they get to see how many votes she gets and don't want to upset all her fans. Maybe her mama has shown them her gun??
Mama? Heck, they showed how well "Bristol the Pistol" handles one in her package a couple weeks ago.

I really don't want to think that the judges are not fair, but I am starting to believe that they are indeed being told to score Bristol higher so she can return week after week. Her fans can see her "dance" and the rest of us can whine and gnash our teeth over a train wreck from which we can't look away.

Win-Win for ABC ... so they think. Except, rigging the judging erodes the credibility of the show. Her dance last week was at least good, this week's was abysmal and she received higher scores! Like you said, her dance was Kindergarten and the rest were PhD's (except Kirstie, which was the 2nd worst). She (1) refused to do a single lift, (2) found the steps difficult, (3) asked for dumbed down routine and (4) executed that routine poorly. For those fans who like to see Bristol improve ... I think she hit her brick wall.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #647
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
What was that? Is "contemporary dance" like modern art? Your not supposed to understand it, just watch it? I've seen modern dance that was awesome. This? There was a lot of rocky & shaky moves.
I agree - Carrie Ann was the only judge who even touched on it, I think she said something like "parts of that routine were beyond your ability." I think it was SUPPOSED to be a modern/lyrical jazz-type routine (not really ballroom at all), which like CA said, takes a lot of training as a dancer. I thought Kelly was pretty stumbly through the whole thing and it wasn't so great.

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #648
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Mama? Heck, they showed how well "Bristol the Pistol" handles one in her package a couple weeks ago.

I really don't want to think that the judges are not fair, but I am starting to believe that they are indeed being told to score Bristol higher so she can return week after week. Her fans can see her "dance" and the rest of us can whine and gnash our teeth over a train wreck from which we can't look away.

Win-Win for ABC ... so they think. Except, rigging the judging erodes the credibility of the show. Her dance last week was at least good, this week's was abysmal and she received higher scores! Like you said, her dance was Kindergarten and the rest were PhD's (except Kirstie, which was the 2nd worst). She (1) refused to do a single lift, (2) found the steps difficult, (3) asked for dumbed down routine and (4) executed that routine poorly. For those fans who like to see Bristol improve ... I think she hit her brick wall.
Yep. Bristol has no incentive to try to improve her dancing because she knows the Palin fan base will keep her there no matter what she does! So now I think it's the judges' job to call her on it. Of course, they probably won't, if last night is any example...

Florida residents!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #649
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello??? You gals better be voting for GILLES, too. Don't assume he's safe. He's getting most of my votes.

Still thinking about who I want to throw some votes to, to save. Maybe Tony. I want him to stick around some more.
I used almost all my votes on Gilles! Can't take the risk of them going home.

Florida residents!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #650
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Once again, I'll go against the grain here and say I agree with the judges' marks on Bristol last night.

Yes, her dance was not in par with the other dancers. But you have to remember, they all started out as GOOD DANCERS right from the get go. Do you remember how AWFUL Bristol was her first season? Like a robot - clunky in her movements and absolutely NO expression on her face, none whatsoever.

Last night's dance was the first time I've seen that girl FINALLY come all the way out of her shell. She actually had expression to her face! She was "into" the dance for the very first time.

Yeah, it may have been easier, but the improvement she made was sky high!

Again, I'd much rather see a lousy dancer improve week after week, than a top-notch dancer that remains top-notch week after week....

Anyways.... beyond Bristol...

LOVED LOVED LOVED Gilles! If I were to vote (and I don't), my votes would go towards him. All of them.

Didn't like Shawn at the beginning of the season, but she is definitely growing on me now. Great routine!

Didn't care for the steamy, raunchy Kelly/Val bit. What the heck is up with dancing around in your bra & panties?? I thought that was pretty tasteless.

Loved Melissa. One of my faves!

I don't get the Emmett love. Don't feel it at all. Would like to see him leave. Sorry to all the Emmett fans out there. Either him or Sabrina. She rubs me the wrong way too. Just can't get into any of her dances.

No thoughts on Kirstie. I normally like her for the entertainment factor, but last night's dance didn't wow me. I thought there were some really awkward moves in that one.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee

Currently reading: #29 The Art Forger

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #651
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

This season is still kind of bizarre. I loved Kirstie on her season with Maks but this season, not so much. Same with Sabrina. Bristol's dancing still isn't good enough to be considered "All Stars". Honey, if you're consistently scoring BELOW a 60 year old's dancing, well it might be time to hang up those dancing shoes. And Emmit, I wasn't a fan his season and still am not. I thought it was too much hype then and seeing him dance now, he's just not as good. Kind of stiff and well, boring. Kelly and Val, get a room for pete's sake!

On to brighter things like Gilles! Swoon worthy last night. I wasn't expecting to like that Bollywood routine but he really put 100% in to it. He's just so great to watch dance, just like on his season.

Melissa is fun! She and Tony are awesome together and finally he received a partner he can WORK with. Hallelujah! I wasn't too crazy about Melissa on her season but am loving her in the All Stars!

Shawn is crazy good. She attacks those routines and is so insanely precise it's mind boggling. Loved her on her season and still loving her, now that she's with Derek especially.

Apolo. Poor guy got robbed last night. I know Karina didn't mean to fall but it will probably still affect his scores. I really like him, alot both from his season and this one! He's so eager and gives it his all. I liked their routine last night, despite the fall. Hope he gets to stay!
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #652
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I honestly didn't think Bristol's dance was as bad as everyone here is saying. I thought it was better than Kirstie's, so I think that she deserved the higher score (which she got). On the other hand, I don't think it was as good as the other dances, so should have been lower than those (which it was).

For me, the best dance was Shawn and Derek - hands down. The Bollywood number was good, but I kept thinking about the Bollywood number from last season and didn't think that this one was as good, which skewed my opinion.

I have never really warmed up to Karina and was a bit irritated by her attitude about her dance. Everyone (save Derek) had a dance that they had never trained in or performed before, but they managed to not behave the way she did. But, again, I really don't like her so that could be impacting my opinion.

Love that Tony has a good partner. I'm not sure how he got the reputation for being the bad boy of the ballroom because he has always seemed like a class act when they have shown him on DWTS. In fact, the only time I can remember him acting less than gentlemanly was when he was with Kate Gosslin and quit on her - weeks after I would have walked out. And he still came back!

Love Emmit Smith, but I've loved him since he was a Cowboy.

Don't like Sabrina. Couldn't stand her the first season she was on and don't like her now. Only good thing I see about her being on the show is that Louis is back. Would have much rather have had Carson or Kyle, though. But, I do prefer having Louis on the show than having Lacey, so I take what I can get.

In all, I guess that I want Sabrina go to home this week. If I had to rank them by favorites, it would probably be:
Shawn
Emmit
Apollo (just wish he had a different partner)
Bristol (because I like to see her improve)
Melissa (just because I adore Tony)
Kirstie
Kelly
Gilles
Sabrina

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #653
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Once again, I'll go against the grain here and say I agree with the judges' marks on Bristol last night.

Yes, her dance was not in par with the other dancers. But you have to remember, they all started out as GOOD DANCERS right from the get go. Do you remember how AWFUL Bristol was her first season? Like a robot - clunky in her movements and absolutely NO expression on her face, none whatsoever.

Last night's dance was the first time I've seen that girl FINALLY come all the way out of her shell. She actually had expression to her face! She was "into" the dance for the very first time.

Yeah, it may have been easier, but the improvement she made was sky high!

Again, I'd much rather see a lousy dancer improve week after week, than a top-notch dancer that remains top-notch week after week....
I think that if a viewer wants to vote for her because they believe she's improving or that her name last name is Palin or whatever, that's one thing. However, I believe that the judges should apply the same standards across the board ... that's what a fair analyst and commentator does.

I am under the impression that the judges do not take "improvement" into account when scoring a dancer. I thought they limited their scoring on technique, difficulty and entertainment value with the emphases on the first two. For instance, as much as many of us we were entertained by Carson Kressley, he eventually received very low judges scores because technique and difficulty were simply not there. When the judges continue to overlook lack of technique and "dumbed down" difficulty when it comes to Bristol but then Melissa bobbles ONE landing out of EIGHT tricks and Carrie Ann and Grumpy Len gives her only 1 point more than Bristol there is a problem in the judging IMO.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #654
lorimay
DIS Veteran

I stuck to my guns and didn't watch last night.

I have read through the pages here however. Well I couldn't just cut out cold turkey. LOL

I'm glad Gilles did so well, I just hope he gets the votes over the Alaskan Princess.

Is anyone good really safe???

Didn't look that way last week........

Thanks for keeping me informed as I boycott this show.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #655
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Results are skewed for several reasons..popularity, ability, etc. It would be more interesting, if dancers had "handicaps". IMO
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #656
KBoopaloo
DIS Veteran

First things first - I thought I would enjoy Paula last night as a guest judge but in the end, it was just annoying to have to hear another judge blather on and on and yell over the other judges. Clearly adding another judge was a ploy to keep the show at 2 hours with less dancers. Yawn.

I really thought they would blast Bristol after Mark himself sold her down the river by saying she refused to try anything difficult in the routine. Then watching the routine, it was clean, yes, but also super duper simple. I am a horrid dancer and I could have pulled off a chunk of it. I should have known better than to expect her scores or commentary to reflect that. Sigh. Guess we will be watching her shimmy again next week. They mentioned they are doing team freestyle dances next week, I feel bad for the team that gets stuck with her and her unwillingness to push the envelope.

I thought Kirstie and Maks were okay. I definitely give her props for going for that carthwheel but I kind of hated the end. I still sent a view votes their way but I won't be devastated if they go home this week (since I have resigned myself to the fact that Bristol is staying)

I gave Melissa and Tony the bulk of my votes. I think they are in the most danger along with Kirstie and Maks and Sabrina and Louis. I loved their jitterbug last night and hope they don't go home on a night when they threw everything but the kitchen sink into their dance!

I thought Emmit, Apolo and Sabrina were just okay. I liked Gilles dance but thought it was a little overscored.

I wanted to like Val and Kelly and I did like a lot of their dance but I HATED, HATED, HATED their absurd smoldering in all of the lead up to the dance. It was ridiculous and obnoxious. If they go home, I won't cry.

As much as it pains me to say this because I am no fan of Derek's, my favorite dance of the night was that mambo. I complained last week about all the rules they broke in the quickstep but they made up for it this week. That was a great dance and I think they deserved those scores.

My prediction of who goes home - Kirstie or possible Sabrina.
1984 - Contemporary ~ 1991 - Caribbean Beach ~ 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2000 - Vista Way (College Program) ~ 2001 - AllStar Music ~ 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 2008 Beach Club ~2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge~ 2009 Saratoga Springs(x2) & Pop Century 2010 Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House & Coronado Springs~ 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter & Kidani Village(April), Old Key West & Beach Club (October) 2012 AKV - Jambo and Yacht Club (Commodore Suite!) 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn
KBoopaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #657
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoopaloo View Post
My prediction of who goes home - Kirstie or possible Sabrina.
I'm going to say Sabrina or Melissa. I believe Kirstie has a big enough fan base to keep her around a bit longer.
AustinTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #658
Lionqueen2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't have a problem with that if it's a dance like the Foxtrot, which is about elegance. But, I *think* a bolero is supposed to be a steamy, sexy dance like the paso doble. Ever watch the old, original movie, "10" with Dudley Moore? They played over and over, Ravel's Bolero. And it is quite a steamy song. So I think boleros are supposed to be that.
The stagehands should have been mopping up the floor from all the drool after their dance.

I noticed that, too.
Actually, a bolero is a sexy, steamy, but smooth dance with beautiful movements. It is not like the paso which is supposed to be about the actions of a bullfight.
Lionqueen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #659
KBoopaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTink View Post
I'm going to say Sabrina or Melissa. I believe Kirstie has a big enough fan base to keep her around a bit longer.
You could be right. Up until last week, I thought Kirstie's fan base would pull her through for another 2 to 3 weeks at least but then she appeared to be in the bottom 4(did they ever say that those 4 were the true bottom four - Kirstie, Drew, Sabrina, Helio?). Of course, Sabrina was also in that bottom 4. Plus, dancing first does Maks and Kirstie no favors.

Sabrina got sort of mixed judges reactions last night and danced early which could definitely make her vulnerable.

I hope it is not Melissa.
1984 - Contemporary ~ 1991 - Caribbean Beach ~ 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2000 - Vista Way (College Program) ~ 2001 - AllStar Music ~ 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 2008 Beach Club ~2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge~ 2009 Saratoga Springs(x2) & Pop Century 2010 Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House & Coronado Springs~ 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter & Kidani Village(April), Old Key West & Beach Club (October) 2012 AKV - Jambo and Yacht Club (Commodore Suite!) 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn
KBoopaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #660
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I have the Wiki bookmarked. It's already up to date: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing...._season_15%29
This has now been added to the first post. Just scroll to the bottom FYI area to read it each week.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: