Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #376
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
I can't believe Joey went home.

I was reading on the ABC boards that her mother posted on her facebook page that you can vote your 12 times then sign off, go and sign back on and vote again. Yes, she is encouraging her followers to cheat.

So I guess all of us will have to follow suit and go cheat as well.
Maybe we can get her off the show, by following her mothers example.
If you have multipule e-mail accounts, yes you can set up multipule users on ABC to vote. BUT each user on ABC has to be tied to a valid e-mail address. When you set up your account, it sends a message to that e-mail address that you have to reply to before it will let you vote. In our household, between DH, the 2 kids and I, we have 9 active e-mail addresses. By the rules of ABC, we have 9 user ids that we log on and vote with. That is completly legal. ABC removed the loop hole after Bristols last apperance. Prior to that, your ABC user id did not have to be tied to an active e-mail address.

Same thing with calling in votes. We have 4 cell phones and 1 land line. We vote using all 5 lines. It's legal by the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Actually.... and I don't mean to be argumentative.... but this show IS 50% dancing and 50% popularity.

Like it or not, that's the way the show was designed. I personally wish it were not that way. I personally wish viewers were not allowed to vote at all. It should be entirely up to the judges to score on skill & ability & performance. But sadly that is not the way DWTS is set up. One of the things about the show that greatly IRKS me. I can't stand it when a great dancer gets sent home solely bc they didn't get enough popularity votes.

But it is what it is. The show IS based not only on dancing ability, but popularity as well.
Popularity is the 2nd factor in voting. Because it is called - first and formost in the title "DANCING with the Stars". Thus common sense would tell you that you vote for the best dancer. If there are 2 dancers that you feel OUT DANCED everybody else, then and only then, should you vote for who you like the best. And Bristol has never outdances anybody on that show, either last season or this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
They tell you to vote for your favorite. This is my least favorite season to date because my favorite is usually the one who looks like they could really improve. I like to see that improvement. I don't like seeing people like Jennifer Grey, Nicole Whatshername, Sabrina Bryan, etc. who have all had some sort of formal dance training in the past. Give me Gavin DeGraw, Bristol Palin, Mark Cuban, or Jennie Garth any day!

Please feel free to include me in that grouping.
Do they really need to add the word dancer after that word favorite, for people to get it??? HELLOOOOOO.....it's a dancing show. Not a show that you just need to be there and look pretty to win. Not a show up and cook well show. Not show up and score touchdown show. It's all about the DANCING people, come on man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTink View Post
WOW. Then you must not have seen the DWTS facebook page. Over 15,000 comments of dislike and foulplay and counting!!
You can also find them on ABC's on website page.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #377
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor Dashwood View Post
Bristol just isn't a good dancer and certainly nowhere near the other All Stars. Kirstie is what, freaking 60 and can move better. This season was supposed to be a collection of some of the best stars from seasons past. How Bristol fits into that is mind boggling. Joey was a far better dancer and at least looked like he wanted to be there. Bristol seems all snooty this time around. The judges giving her 6's was a gift and her attitude stunk.
I am 60 also, but i will admit my dancing would be more like Bristol's I can't dance and I know it. As far as attitude maybe Kristie's attitude is better because she is dancing with Maksim.

Quote:
That's why there should be a dance off every week, so the judges can make the final decision and then it would be a bit more fair.
The same people would have gone home. The first week the bottom two were Nick and Pam, and the second week Helio and Joey. I believe in a dance off Pam and Joey still would have gone home.

For the record all my votes went to Kelly and when she is gone I will choose a new favorite. I wish Bristol and Kristie were both gone. I like them both as people, but they are planful to watch dance. I usual take a restroom break when they dance.

Bristol was ask back because of the love-hate relationship on the broads, even the people that say they are not watching because she is on the show are on the broads to see if she is still there.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013

Last edited by micandminforever; 10-03-2012 at 10:31 AM.
micandminforever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #378
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

i guess i just don't get the animosity towards those who vote for Bristol. if people want to vote for her and aren't doing anything against the rules, that is their right.

i don't really vote for this show unless i'm really compelled to do so. i voted for Kyle during his season. i really felt that he grew, he worked hard and he was SO much fun to watch. i don't find it all that interesting when someone is a great dancer from the beginning and then wins. that strikes me as boring (just my opinion).

i realize this season is different. it feels like the "reward Sabrina" season. it reminds me of how Project Runway does it's All Stars almost specifically to reward a certain person who should've won his season.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #379
marybet
I'm from Ohio, I just live in Alabama.
Had a crush on Dr. Kildare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I just found something interesting on TMZ. Apparently, back in 2009 they acquired Shawn Johnson's contract from Season 8:

http://www.tmz.com/2009/03/27/shawn-...wts-contract/3

She was paid $365,000 to make it to the final 2. I wonder how much additional she earned with the win. I wouldn't be surprised if the stars are being paid more than that this season.
IMO this is the reason that Bristol is doing the show.........for the money. They may not all get the same amount but they all get more the longer they are there. Bristol's reality show went nowhere, is it even still on the air? She used the money from her first DWTS appearance to buy a house in AZ but then she went back to Alaska. She can't make the big bucks in Alaska that's for sure.

I was surprised at some of the people they asked back. I was a big fan of Kirstie and I thought she improved every week but I will not continue to vote for her if she doesn't improve. I've always felt the first 3 weeks are purely popularity. How long did Master P last? I wasn't watching then but I have seen clips and this guy was horrible. There have been worse dancers than Bristol. This season Pam and Bristol are the worse and at least Pam went home last week.

I just don't think that Bristol is that popular, her mother still has a following and they are the ones voting for Bristol. I know they can edit things but Bristol does not come across as nice in her off stage scenes, it also appears that she thinks she can dance. She is clueless.

The thing that suprises me the most about this season is that the All-Stars aren't all great. I expected 8's or 9's from most of them and that hasn't happened. Some of the better dancers aren't my favorites but sooner or later I will have to vote for the one I think should win. Maybe if Apollo shaved that hair off his chin I could vote for him but that's not going to happen. If it came down to Gilles or Shawn I would go with Gilles because he really was the better dancer last time.

I just hope that Bristol doesn't continue to stay while better dancers have to go home. I also hope that Kirstie gets better because I would really like to see Maks win his first mirror ball.
marybet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #380
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I always wait for that first show...I really want to see which stars get matched with which pros. Then, I choose my favorite. See, I really have favorite pros, vs stars. I love Mark and Maks.....but they seem to end up with less than stellar dancers. Oh well. Looks like this won't be Maks's year for the trophy!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #381
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybet View Post
The thing that suprises me the most about this season is that the All-Stars aren't all great. I expected 8's or 9's from most of them and that hasn't happened.
I think the dances are good but the judges are saving their 9's and 10's for the rest of the season.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #382
lorimay
DIS Veteran

I wonder how they pair them up.

Maks deserves a win but he doesn't get the right partner ever.
But Derek always seems to get the partner who has some kind of experience.

I mean this is my opinion, correct me if I am wrong.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #383
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:

I have read that they get partnered up based on age, height, body type, and then personality. For example, Mark and Derek are two of the youngest males on the show, so they often get the younger celebs. Maks and Tony are two of the older ones, so they often get the older celebs. Chelsie is the youngest girl, so she often gets the youngest male celebrity.

I know that people think that Derek often gets a partner who has some sort of experience, but he has had his share of newbies, as well. Likewise, other pros, such as Mark, Maks, Cheryl, and Kym have also had partners with previous dance experience.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #384
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:

M-M-Maks had Mel B and Brandy both of which were excellent dancers IMO.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #385
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
Popularity is the 2nd factor in voting. Because it is called - first and formost in the title "DANCING with the Stars". Thus common sense would tell you that you vote for the best dancer. If there are 2 dancers that you feel OUT DANCED everybody else, then and only then, should you vote for who you like the best. And Bristol has never outdances anybody on that show, either last season or this one.

Do they really need to add the word dancer after that word favorite, for people to get it??? HELLOOOOOO.....it's a dancing show. Not a show that you just need to be there and look pretty to win. Not a show up and cook well show. Not show up and score touchdown show. It's all about the DANCING people, come on man.

Wow. No need to get so riled up. Apparently, according to you, the people who are voting have no common sense whatsoever, lol. It's obvious people are voting for their FAVORITE dancer, not the BEST dancer of that particular night. Big difference there.

Bristol is a "favorite dancer" of a lot of people even though every one of us (including the people that love Bristol) will admit she's not the BEST dancer of the group. But the show is about entertainment, like it or not. Who do we want to see again?

I personally don't vote. Have never voted. Never will. I think the whole voting thing stinks and wish they would do away with it because of this exact popularity issue.

If I can't accept that this show is based on popularity rather than actual dance skill, then time to stop watching.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know

Currently reading: #24 A Daughter's Dream

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #386
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

Quote:
Bristol is a "favorite dancer" of a lot of people even though every one of us (including the people that love Bristol)...

I guess what many wonder is what people love about her? She comes across as dense and arrogant at the same time, which is quite a feat. I didn't watch the reality show of hers, but apparently it proved she is not the best role model for her kid. He swears like a sailor and she laughs about it! All caught on camera. I'm trying hard to figure out what is likable about her.
AustinTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #387
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess what many wonder is what people love about her? She comes across as dense and arrogant at the same time, which is quite a feat. I didn't watch the reality show of hers, but apparently it proved she is not the best role model for her kid. He swears like a sailor and she laughs about it! All caught on camera. I'm trying hard to figure out what is likable about her.
For many, is as simple as - they like Sarah so by association, they like Bristol. A vote for Bristol is showing support for her mom.

I really don't see the appeal, either.

And before someone say, that I'm a Sarah hater. No, don't hate her, but don't love her either.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #388
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

While Derek has had some less than stellar dancers, and Maks some fairly decent ones, it just never seems to work out for Maks. Wish it would...just love him to pieces. Ah well.

Quote:
Wow. No need to get so riled up. Apparently, according to you, the people who are voting have no common sense whatsoever, lol. It's obvious people are voting for their FAVORITE dancer, not the BEST dancer of that particular night. Big difference there.

Bristol is a "favorite dancer" of a lot of people even though every one of us (including the people that love Bristol) will admit she's not the BEST dancer of the group. But the show is about entertainment, like it or not. Who do we want to see again?

I personally don't vote. Have never voted. Never will. I think the whole voting thing stinks and wish they would do away with it because of this exact popularity issue.

If I can't accept that this show is based on popularity rather than actual dance skill, then time to stop watching.
Here's the issue....very few people in the viewing audience can actually accurately judge ballroom dancing. Sure, you can watch it and say you like it...and you can watch it and see when someone is really not great. But, I watched Joey dance his last dance, and had to agree with Len..I think Joey is a terrific entertainer but that last dance really seemed to lack 'technique'. But others think he danced very well! Unless you're a qualified judge, or ballroom dancer yourself, it's all really subjective. Not that that's a bad thing, but DWTS will never be a true dance contest...it can't be. It really is a popularity contest. How the heck do you think some of those oldie but goodies stay in so long???? And I mean really old...like Florence Henderson. Popularity. Does that make it right? Nope, but it is what it is.
When America is given the opportunity to vote in something like this, it will always become a popularity contest. That's why Sabrina went home so early the last time. She is a very good dancer and yes, I fully realize that she has had dance in her background, but she didn't deserve to go home that week.
So, we go on each week, watching some better dancers go home, while less proficient dancers stay around.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #389
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
We like Bristol as well. This board is the only place that I have seen that people dislikes her so much. To me she improves every week. I think a lot of Bristol dislike has nothing to do with Bristol, more like what her mom does for a living.
While you like that she is dancing and improving, the dislike is that many other people are ONLY voting for her because of her connection to her mom and what her mom does for a living. That is not fair to the other dancers.

If people are voting for Kelly because they like General Hospital, Emmitt because he's with the NFL or Helio because he races cars, at least, Kelly, Emmitt and Helio are dancing. If Bristol's mom is really getting the votes, then her mom should be the one dancing on the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
My opinion of Bristol has nothing to do with politics. Bristol is just a shining example of the new celebrity. No longer do we applaud talent. People now gain fame by making a sex tape, or having an affair, being a teen mom, being a drunk, or acting low class. Gone are the days when singers could actually sing. Actors were performers who could do anything...dance, sing, and act.

I do know that Bristol does have some fans, but I do believe some people vote because they think it makes good television.

It's now the time of SnookieLindsayKimHoney****oo. We all created that monster!
I totally think this is WHY the producers invited her back. They get a lot of publicity and talk to have her on the show.

A couple people mentioned Bristol's reality show. The news & entertainment tabloid shows don't mention it. But, every week she stays on DWTS, they mention it. The other nite, Entertainment Tonight, and HLN's Showbiz Tonight, and I think GMA, all mentioned how Bristol is still on the show. Some news shows mentioned it too.

They do that because it catches the ear of the viewers who like her mom. So it's interesting to bring it up for their that kind of viewers, not just the ones interested in dancing/entertainment/celebs. It's a win-win for the TV. They have something to talk about, hitting two types of viewers. It's a win for ABC and the show, they get extra promotion that the other dancers don't necessarily give them.

Speaking publicity-wise, not politically, I totally think Bristol will make it at least, to Election Day, if not beyond. Election Day is a Tuesday, the same as DWTS Results show nite. If Bristol stays on then the news/tabloid coverage will be, "One Palin made it through Election nite and was voted to stay on." If she loses, then the coverage will be, "Too bad for another Palin on an Election Tues." Either way, it will be a win for ABC & the show and other shows that will talk about it. Extra publicity.

Quote:
WOW. Then you must not have seen the DWTS facebook page. Over 15,000 comments of dislike and foulplay and counting!!
This is exactly what I mean above. All this extra attention & publicity for the show as Bristol stays on while better dancers get booted. That's a win for ABC and the producers, even if it's unfair to the stars who are really dancing their hearts out. When the stars were told who else they'd be competing against, they had a chance to decline. So, they probably knew what they were getting into. We all saw Derek's face when Bristol made it to the finals over a better dancer.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 10-03-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #390
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
If people are voting for Kelly because they like General Hospital, Emmitt because he's with the NFL or Helio because he races cars, at least, Kelly, Emmitt and Helio are dancing. If Bristol's mom is really getting the votes, then her mom should be the one dancing on the show.
Oh good God, please don't put any ideas into the producer's heads! One Palin is enough.

Quote:
This is exactly what I mean above. All this extra attention & publicity for the show as Bristol stays on while better dancers get booted. That's a win for ABC and the producers, even if it's unfair to the stars who are really dancing their hearts out. When the stars were told who else they'd be competing against, they had a chance to decline. So, they probably knew what they were getting into. We all saw Derek's face when Bristol made it to the finals over a better dancer.
Ha ha! I remember Derek's face too! It was 100% candid and honest shock. So funny!!!!!!!!!!!
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: