Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Those who rent a timeshare...what is on your grocery store stop list?

My upcoming trip will be my first at a timeshare. We are staying at WBC because it's 5 adults going and it will be so great to have a full kitchen and room to spread out. We typically make a stop to pick up bottled water and snacks when we've stayed at rooms with fridges, but this is our first time with a full kitchen.

What do you normally pick up on your arrival day grocery stop?

We want to have breakfast in the room most mornings and are thinking of grilling out once. Here is what I was thinking...

Eggs
Breakfast sausage
Bread and butter for toast
Cooking spray or oil for pan
Ground coffee (anyone know if I need to bring filters?)
Half and half for coffee
Fruit
Hamburgers or brats, buns
Chips for cookout
Bottled water
Beer

I was also thinking of getting some disposable coffee cups with lids so we could take our coffee in the car on our drive to the parks.

Thoughts?

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
cathypa
Earning My Ears

Have a great time. I love staying in the timeshares.This is what I pick up along with your list.

Milk , Veggies ,Mac & cheese boxes,cheese & crackers, Steaks, A few of those frozen meals to pop in the oven like the salisbury steaks with gravy , turkey with gravy it goes good with your mashed potato's, coffee filters they never give you enough. Air fresheners spray for the bathroom, when you all get ready you don't want to enter the bathroom when some one before you stunk it up.

Shampoo, liquid soap for bathrooms, detergent & I always buy bleach to wash the white towels.
I pick up 1.00 mugs because I hate the small cups for my tea & coffee.
Most of all don't forget the ice cream pops & maybe a cheese cake. You may want danish for those mornings that you want to get out the door fast.

The best part of all is your at Disney you are so lucky. Have a wonderful time. I am going next years in May I can't wait.
cathypa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

Badger, looks like you're doing it about the same way we do when we go to WBC. One thing I might mention....we have ditched going to the Wal-Mart on Vineland and now go to the Publix which is just a bit further down the same road...much more calm relaxed atmosphere. The Wal-Mart on Vineland is just too chaotic.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Angie789
Mouseketeer

Here's what we get: Clorox wipes, our preferred toilet paper, bottled water, Cokes, beer, wine, eggs, microwave bacon, yogurt, fruit, salad kits, rotisserie chicken, a pop-in-the-oven dinner (like Stouffer's lasagna), snacks (Goldfish crackers, raisins, etc.), coffee & filters, bread & deli meat for sandwiches.

Oh.. and milk!!!

Last edited by Angie789; 07-29-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Angie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

Don't forget the condiments

Our list usually contains the following when we rent a vacation home or villa:

Paper towels, napkins, toilet paper
1 Cleaning Solution (like 409)
Dishwasher liquid, laundry detergent, and Bounce
Salt & Pepper (even though there is almost always some left from another party), Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo
Coffee, creamer, sweetener. I wait on the filters because usually someone has left some and sometimes it has a permanent filter on the machine.
Snack-type foods (chips, M&Ms, cookies, and ice cream sandwiches)
Breakfast items like you already listed
Paper plates, bowls and cups
Hot dogs/buns and hamburgers/buns
Cheese for the burgers
Deli meat and bread
Trashbags
Hand soap

I might be weird, but planning the grocery list for our trips is part of the fun of vacation! This year we've cheated and gone with delivery through Garden Grocer. It is weird to me that I've already planned and purchased our groceries for September

Last edited by ready2vacation; 07-29-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: "is" not "are" :)
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
happymommy
DIS Veteran

We do condo stays a lot, and I agree that planning and making the shopping list is fun for me too! I'm the "type A" one of the family, so I am also a control freak and like to be in charge of the kitchen/laundry of the trips!

I always like to make sure we get some bananas and other fruits, so I put a big bowl in the middle of the dining table and keep it filled with fruit (and a few tomatoes for salad). It is good to have fresh fruit, and it makes it look pretty too.

I like to bring small amounts of condiments if I can - seems like such a waste to buy all of them! I found recently small bottles of pancake syrup for $1 at our store, and had coupons so bought a few (free). I also bring some spices for grilling.

We find that we're stopping at the store a few times during the trip. If we shop at Costco, I get a package of their frozen sirloin burgers. They're great on the grill, and I also will thaw a few out for other recipes calling for ground beef. Like I'll put some in mac & cheese for my DD. It's a hearty dinner that honestly my DH thinks isn't good but I kind of do.

I've done a dinner of Stouffer's meatloaf (similar to their lasagna - big tray enough for a family) along with boiled new potatoes (takes no time at all) with butter, then a frozen mixed veggies bag and a salad. It's a dinner under $20 for a whole family, and simple to make (not really cooking hardly!).

Also I like to have refrigerated cookie dough - nice to make quick fresh chocolate chip cookies for a treat at night! Takes maybe 15 minutes to make.

I also bring our buy nonstick Reynolds Wrap. Love it.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
tanyaandallie
DIS Veteran

Do you all really cook much? I have no desire to cook every night but am thrilled to have a kitchen so we can eat breakfast in our room and so we have the option of eating in our room if we choose.
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyaandallie View Post
Do you all really cook much? I have no desire to cook every night but am thrilled to have a kitchen so we can eat breakfast in our room and so we have the option of eating in our room if we choose.
Not really. For an 8 night stay, we will usually eat maybe 4 breakfasts at home, 2 lunches, and maybe 1 dinner. I hate to cook on vacation, but when we do it is more for convenience and because we are too tired to go anywhere.
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
mikkiwikki
DIS Veteran

Exclamation

Great Thread- I read a good blog on the net about condo vacationing...
It seems the primary idea is KEEP IT SIMPLE. Dont spend a ton of time in the kitchen on your vacation.

I was putting my list together also..this is what I have.

BREAKFAST
Cereal
Milk
Muffins / Croissants
Fruit
Ketchup /Butter
Eggs?

Lunch ITEMS
Bologna,
Turkey,
Roast beef,
Peanut butter, nutella
Mayo, Mustard, Cheese
SALAD? chips

DINNER ITEMS ONLY if you have bbq...we dont so will be eating out for dinners.....but if BBQ...
ziploc bags for marinating meat
Marinade. CHICKEN. STEAK.Potatoes.Rice
Salad

Oh and of course...BEER , soda & wine

hope this helps!!
My Trippies:
2008 ThanksGiving TR POP-O-LICIOUS / CR Summer 2011 POLYTASTIC EXTRAVAGANZA
2011- Christmas in Orlando WindsorHills XtraVaGanZa
2012 - SUMMER POP & Windsor Hills
mikkiwikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."

Don't forget to buy or pack baggies and items like that for leftovers and food on the go. Bottled water too.
hollypoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

We don't do many lunches or dinners in. I'll cook a few...usually steaks, or maybe a lasagna. (Not Stouffers...has to be homemade). Something that I usually don't cook at home. We also get a large bottle of Ameretto. Sometimes we have some to take home. Most times, we don't.

A few places we like to carry out to eat in our condo. Anyone know the closest locations to Disney of these places? Or if they're even in Orlando?

1) Omaha Steaks. Love their steaks, have them in our freezer. Our closest one is 15 minutes away...however you can't take them 1,000 miles away.

2) Honey-Baked Hams. Much more expensive than the hams in your store, but we're on vacation. Make great lunch sandwiches. And the bone..can you say "bean soup" for your last day?

3) Cheesecake Factory. Stayed in Tampa the night before a cruise and bought a whole cheesecake. Couldn't finish it all, so we packed it away for our cruise. The cheesecake was better than any cruise dessert. Now, we buy one for a vacation whenever we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
happymommy
DIS Veteran

I actually do find we eat in our condo a lot! But, I don't make huge dinners every night. It's just that we're not huge eaters, and restaurant portions are way too much for me, especially for lunch (a big lunch and I'm just ready for a nap!). So we do simple dinners a lot too if we've had lunch out.

Also, my stomach sometimes just wants something simple, like pasta with tomato sauce, nothing greasy.

We also own a condo in Hawaii (go every other summer for 2 weeks) so at that place we cook a ton. We're out on the beach or at the pool a lot, so in the evenings we just want grilled fish, rice, salad, fresh fruit, and we're set. We eat out maybe every other day there. Disney is a bit different, but it takes little time to grill dinner, and with tired kids they're happy to shower and chill out at night eating in the condo.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
ILuvTigger
Mouseketeer

We own at AKV, and majority of the time stay in a 2 bedroom (5 - 10 days).

Here is our bring from home list (we usually drive):

Paper towels
Napkins
Garbage bags
Dishwasher soap
Laundry detergent
Paper plates
Zip loc bags
Shampoo
Conditioner

Store list: I think of some quick meals and get what I need (plus chips, sweets, soda, water and milk).
Tacos, spaghetti, pizza, BLT's (with egg), subs, baked mostaccioli, french toast/eggs. For dinner we will make extra for lunch the next day. My children are 19 and 20 years old, come and go, so I like to have things on hand if they want/need it. We never know where we will be, and if I don't feel like cooking, we eat out.

ILuvTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Detailor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
We don't do many lunches or dinners in. I'll cook a few...usually steaks, or maybe a lasagna. (Not Stouffers...has to be homemade). Something that I usually don't cook at home. We also get a large bottle of Ameretto. Sometimes we have some to take home. Most times, we don't.

A few places we like to carry out to eat in our condo. Anyone know the closest locations to Disney of these places? Or if they're even in Orlando?

1) Omaha Steaks. Love their steaks, have them in our freezer. Our closest one is 15 minutes away...however you can't take them 1,000 miles away.
1949 Aloma Avenue Winter Park

Quote:
2) Honey-Baked Hams. Much more expensive than the hams in your store, but we're on vacation. Make great lunch sandwiches. And the bone..can you say "bean soup" for your last day?
13741 South John Young Parkway Orlando

Quote:
3) Cheesecake Factory. Stayed in Tampa the night before a cruise and bought a whole cheesecake. Couldn't finish it all, so we packed it away for our cruise. The cheesecake was better than any cruise dessert. Now, we buy one for a vacation whenever we can.
The Mall at Millenia 4200 Conroy Road #148 Orlando

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
jeff968
DIS Veteran

We've been doing this for years and hit the Publix on our first day. My wife brings down some cloths washing supplies as the smaller containers are pretty expensive and you just won't use that much. She bring Laundry detergent, Shout, and dryer sheets. The fruit is pretty good as well.

Have fun, once you go with a name-brand timeshare you'll never go back.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote