Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #16
MystikaFaith
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
In March while walking in front of the Trails End from the boat dock, a garden snake slithered across the walkway. A man picked it up by the tail and hurled it over the bushes hiding the golf cart parking lot.

A woman had just sat down in her cart and had a snake come flying at her. Needless to say, the screams were almost blood curdling.

After my initial shock wore off, I almost double over laughing. Not that I didn't have sympathy for her, I would have done the same, but at the lousy luck this poor woman had to be sitting down just as a snake was tossed her way.
OMG! Just OMG! That poor poor woman!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharm19335 View Post
I have, on a number of occasions ended up standing on top of the picnic table. My poor boyfriend doesn't even have to ask what? He just asks where?
Were all these occasions at Fort Wilderness????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cals dad View Post
There is nothing to worry about in regards to the snakes you will see at Ft. Wilderness. If you see one out in the open, it is most likely tring to quickly get back into cover. They will not jump out at you(they have no legs for jumping), or fall on you from a tree. If one does, it is purely an accident. They see humans just as they see any other large animal, as a predator of them. I've been bitten by non-venomous snakes when I was younger, but that was always due to me picking them up.

Venomous snakes that are common in Florida also make a good show of it to warn you to stay away. They will not try to bite you unless you fail to recognize these warnings, and attempt to touch them, or step on them. Most of the time, they too will just slither away from you. If they have to waste their venom on defending themselves, then they can't use it on potential food. Biting us is a last resort for them.

I've lived in Florida my entire life. My father was the chief ranger of one of the biggest parks in the area, so I grew up outdoors. In my entire life, I've never seen a venomous snake in the wild. I'm sure a place like Disney World, you'd be even harder pressed to find one, as I'm sure they are removed when spotted and reported.
Thank you! That post was very reassuring. It's much easier to stay calm thinking that most bites are the result of them being provoked. Picking up snakes is the very LAST thing that would ever ever cross my mind. If I saw one I would stay very very very very far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrownUpPrincess View Post
However, being a FL resident, here are some tricks I've been taught, to help you feel more confident:

1. Wear sneakers or boots. Don't run around barefoot in the woods.
2. Carry a flashlight and sweep the light back and forth on the path ahead of you at night.
3. Walk with firm steps. Snakes can feel vibrations on the ground and will hide from it.
4. Don't stand still next to low bushes or large rocks.
5. Stay on the path (which are plentiful and paved)

For the most part, FW is well lit and the paths are kept in good shape. Don't go wondering through the woods, near the canals or through tall grass and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the tips!

Would you say that there are any camping spots/loops at Fort Wilderness that are more habitable to snakes? Any areas that would be best to avoid them?

Also, is there anything that attracts snakes that I should be aware of? Certain scents? Music?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
ob1quixote
Mouseketeer

Those big black snakes are your friends. They eat other snakes, including the poisonous ones, and have no interest whatsoever in you. For that matter, neither do the poisonous ones.

You are too big for them to eat. In a confrontation with you, they stand to lose more than they can gain. They will generally avoid areas where people are unless traveling to get to another place where people arent.

I have spent many years in the woods cutting motorcycle trails, and seen more than a few of the "bad boys" {eastern diamondbacks} and their bretheren. Most times by accident. Most times they just watch you walk by, never shaking rattle, or slide away before you get there.

You probably stand a better chance of being struck by lightning.
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
peimikes
Mouseketeer

We just got back from POP yesterday and I counted 9 snakes in our 10 day stay. All where on the walkways around the pools and between the 50's buildings we stayed in and the main building. On Sunday evening the 60's pools was close and we couldn't go near it staff where keeping people away, but I could see several cast members and life guards fishing with nets in the pool chasing something a couple feet long, slender and dark.

(DD7) (KellY) (KC)

1997 Offsite, 2006 Offsite, 2009 Pop, 2010 POFQ & 2011 POFQ, 2012 POP, 2013 SSR
peimikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
FlaFortCampster
DIS Veteran

Been going to the Fort since the 70's and have only seen snakes twice. Both times they hauled and both times it was down by the canal when I was fishing. Snakes don't want anything to do with humans. Don't let them ruin your trip.
Stay on the main paths and you'll be just fine.
FlaFortCampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #20
becky1960
DIS Veteran

You have to look at it this way, When was the last reported snake bite at WDW, I have never read any reports of this. When was the last Fatality car accident in your area. The chance of a snake bite is very rare...
becky1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
Disneefun
DIS Veteran

The only snakes I've ever seen at the Fort have been smooshed in the road. Bad luck for them.

However, I have seen a copperhead in the ladies room at MGM late one night (my hero was the janitor who came in when I told him about it and swept it into his dustpan and hauled it out, presumably to the "snake impound area" or some such), a black snake at AK in front of Dinosaur, a water moccasin in the pool in front of Dinosaur, (maybe you should just avoid Dinosaur, come to think of it), and some other snake that I didn't know what it was at the base of the stairwell at Caribbean Beach.

Then there was the snake I couldn't see what kind it was, but we were staying at CSR and it came out of the lake one night and shot across the road into the shrubs. (That was the same trip where we saw a gator eat a baby duckling in the same lake. Horrifying, but the whole circle of life theme played in my head.)

Point being, it's Florida. Snakes and other critters are everywhere and not just at the fort. I don't say this to terrify you, but to point out how many people visit and live in Fla. every day/year and I'd say 99.5% live long and happy lives in spite of the critters. Just do as others have said and don't annoy them and you'll be fine.
Disneefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
RescueRanger
If you put $200 under your pillow at night, you will get a tag
I have no hots for Robinrs because I don't want the Mummy curse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1960
You have to look at it this way, When was the last reported snake bite at WDW, I have never read any reports of this. When was the last Fatality car accident in your area. The chance of a snake bite is very rare...
Actually, there was a report on the DIS of a members child being bitten. They even had pictures of him with a swollen hand. If i remember right, he was trying to retrieve a toy from some bushes and got bit. It wasn't too long ago. If you do a search, i am sure you can find it.

Me DW DD(20) DD(17) DSiL

RescueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneefun
The only snakes I've ever seen at the Fort have been smooshed in the road. Bad luck for them.

However, I have seen a copperhead in the ladies room at MGM late one night (my hero was the janitor who came in when I told him about it and swept it into his dustpan and hauled it out, presumably to the "snake impound area" or some such), a black snake at AK in front of Dinosaur, a water moccasin in the pool in front of Dinosaur, (maybe you should just avoid Dinosaur, come to think of it), and some other snake that I didn't know what it was at the base of the stairwell at Caribbean Beach.

Then there was the snake I couldn't see what kind it was, but we were staying at CSR and it came out of the lake one night and shot across the road into the shrubs. (That was the same trip where we saw a gator eat a baby duckling in the same lake. Horrifying, but the whole circle of life theme played in my head.)

Point being, it's Florida. Snakes and other critters are everywhere and not just at the fort. I don't say this to terrify you, but to point out how many people visit and live in Fla. every day/year and I'd say 99.5% live long and happy lives in spite of the critters. Just do as others have said and don't annoy them and you'll be fine.
Last I knew copperhead snakes did not love in Florida. Check google.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #24
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

List of venomous snakes found in Fl
Canebrake Rattlesnake
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake
Florida Cottonmouth Snake
Southern Copperhead Snake
Eastern Coral Snake

I lived in Fl and have been to The Fort dozens of times. The only close contact with a snake was running over a pygmy rattler with the lawnmower.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #25
Disneefun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
Last I knew copperhead snakes did not love in Florida. Check google.
Thanks, but I've grown up around enough copperheads to know what one looks like, esp. when it's lit up from fluorescent bathroom lights. From the Fl. Museum of Natural History (warning, there are pics on the link, so if you're skeevish, don't look):

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...e/Venomsnk.htm
Disneefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #26
sandieb
DIS Veteran

We were staying at Bay Lake Towers last spring. I was sunning myself by the pool and looked over to see 2 black snakes sunning themselves too! While I am not a snake lover, I had to laugh. After many, many trips to both FW and other Disney resorts, I wouldn't worry about it, but I would use common sense as descibed in this discussion.
sandieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
duranfan
Mouseketeer

Been going to Ft. W for my entire life and I have seen a snake ONE TIME during all those visits. I would not go wading in any of the canals (don't think anyone would want to. Not exactly sure why they don't have more snakes? In Florida gardener snakes aka black snakes are kind of common. I HATE SNAKES and a good snake is a dead snake. I've heard all the arguments about rats- I can get a rat trap or my killer cat takes of that. I have a cat at home that is HUGE. He was a stray and I took him in. He's a hunter and likes BIG GAME so fortunately he goes after snakes IF they come in my yard. (He doesn't eat them, just kills them.)
I have a feeling there must be some other animal over there that keeps the population down. One thing that is suppose to work keeping snakes away is moth balls if you them in the yard and home depot sells something which is similar called snake away.
Far as the armedillos they are afraid of humans-so just don't engage them. They are kind of cute in a strange way. They dont seem to like lights so if you have an outdoor light that may deter them. They are usually just looking for scraps.
duranfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #28
duranfan
Mouseketeer

I have noticed living in Florida-the black snakes aka gardner snakes that people consider 'good snakes' tend to come out in nice weather to sun themselves and thats the mating season coz then u see smaller ones a few weeks later. Also, when there is a lot of rain I am no expert but i think they live in the ground and that makes them come out and be more visable. Also, they like citrus trees. Never really seen this myself.
I recalled another snake sighting, we stay at Port Orleans a lot for cheap trips since we are Floridians. I have seen a black snake or two coming out from the bushes.
Snakes will usually run, but if I see them so do I. One time at home there was one and I went to get something to kill it and it was coming up through the deck COBRA style. It was going to engage me! YIKES! Cat was taking a nap. So anyway, now if its snake season I have a big machette ready that I figure I can throw at the snake then run like the other way if I miss. As Indian Jones felt, I REALLY HATE SNAKES!
duranfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #29
ob1quixote
Mouseketeer

Those black snakes, around here they call them Coach Whips, they are your friends!
They eat other snakes, including poisonous ones, I've seen it with my own eyes.
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #30
Brendonsmom
Love the Magic

Snake Alive!

We've been to the Fort a few times and luckily have not had any encounters. The last time my 9 year old was playing tag in the dried up swamp with other camper's kids. I had to remind him to watch out and be careful--fearing the worst. Luckily the worst was some chigger bites. I will be more cautious now that so many others have reported sightings. We'll also be using the emergency potty in the camper at night for certain!

Brendonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: