Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
bfc2406
Earning My Ears

Port Adventure Advice for Nassau

Hi

In March we are taking our 6 year old little girl and our 5 month old baby on the four night cruise to Castaway Cay, via Nassau. Has anyone got any advice on best trips etc. We really would love to go to Atlantis if possible but again just not sure what would be suitable with baby in tow?
Any advice or tips appreciated!
J
bfc2406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

My best advice, stay on the ship.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Agree with Don that staying on board the ship in Nassau is a good option. Especially with a youngster in tow. You'll get plenty of beach time during your Castaway Cay stop. If you stay on board you can enjoy the pools and the Aquaduck (assuming you're on the Dream) with very few people around.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
bfc2406
Earning My Ears

Cheers for that. When we last sailed on the Magic around the med we stayed onboard and yes it was great, quiet and fairly empty. My only thought is that I've always wanted to see Atlantis. Would a visit there be worth the extra hard work with baby? Is Atlantis as incredible as it looks?
Thanks in advance
Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
carmiedog
needs more kool-aid

I definitely wouldn't do Atlantis with a baby. We took my 7year old and all she wanted to do was swim in one of the pools. We could have done that on the ship and saved a lot of money. I wasn't really all that impressed with Atlantis. Next time we will spend money on a Disney water park instead.
carmiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
misslissa
DIS Veteran

Last year, we stayed at Atlantis with our 5 month old baby. All he wanted to 'do' was sleep and bobbed around the pools a few times. We went through the aquarium several times too. We had a blast! I don't think I would pay to go there and use the facilities only for the day, but if you want to go for a long walk/day out, I wouldn't discourage you from it. However, your older one would probably not enjoy the walking around and not swimming.

We only left Atlantis once during our trip and found it to be a longer day just even to walk around Nassau and it was very hot. We took a cab each way, which was (I think) $10 one way, and $15 back. I wouldn't take your little one on the little boats they have going - I wouldn't personally be comfortable with it. Although when we were childless, we did it.

Keep in mind too, Atlantis does have quite a few stairs, so you'll have to have a plan for the stroller. That is all I can think of right now, but let me know if you have any other questions.
May 2007 - Pop Century Resort/Saratoga Springs Resort
May 2008 - First Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean
February 2009 - Polynesian Resort
January 2013 - Port Orleans/Disney Dream (with baby)
June 2013 - Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando (with baby)
August 2013 - Joined DVC
February 2014 - First stay at home - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
misslissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
misslissa
DIS Veteran

Oh, and to properly answer your question - if you are willing to spend the $$$ to 'just swim' at Atlantis, go for it. It is the same as any other day at any other water park though really.
August 2013 - Joined DVC
Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
bfc2406
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much, your advice is much appreciated.
With re taking a 5 month old to Castaway Cay, do you have any advice/suggestions from experience?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
luvdmouse
Mouseketeer

We too are on the Dream in March on a 4 day but we have teens. Last year we did the Atlantis and it was a fabulous day. Our teens loved it but we can't afford to spend that much again this year. We were told to try the Blue Lagoon beach day. Much less expensive...looks beautiful and relaxing. If you want a beach kind of day, this might fit what you are looking for.
luvdmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
shburks
DIS Veteran

I am sailing with DS (8) on Dream and we're planning to stay on ship and enjoy the ship a little quieter...ride Aquaduck, do some things together, leisurely breakfast, swim, watch a movie, etc

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuck1998 View Post
My best advice, stay on the ship.
Agree totally. When DCL first launched the Magic, they worked with the Bahamian officials to clean up the port area, restrict the hair braiders and others who will try to touch your children, etc. For a while, this was successful. However, I was shocked on our 2009 cruise to find that much of the work DCL had been a part of had somehow evaporated--there were lots of women reaching out and trying to touch my daughter as we walked just outside of the port area. It was dirty, and frankly didn't feel very safe.

We don't choose cruises that go to Nassau normally, but when that is what works in our schedule, we enjoy the ship on that day. DCL has fulfilled its need to dock in the country where it is flagged, we have contributed to their local economy with our port tax, and we enjoyed a safe, clean day.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
KBT35
Mouseketeer

When your eldest is about 2 years older I would say definitely do Atlantis when/if you get there again! We personally LOVED it and we do water parks often over the summer! This is in our opinion so much more! Our favorite was the not so lazy river & the beach. We also really enjoyed the slides too! WE will be returning again in May but I haven't decided yet if we will do Atlantis again, this time we may just stay on the ship or just do a beach day! We found that on our 1st 4 day cruise we didn't see nearly as much of the ship as we wanted hence our return this summer!
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Agree totally. When DCL first launched the Magic, they worked with the Bahamian officials to clean up the port area, restrict the hair braiders and others who will try to touch your children, etc. For a while, this was successful. However, I was shocked on our 2009 cruise to find that much of the work DCL had been a part of had somehow evaporated--there were lots of women reaching out and trying to touch my daughter as we walked just outside of the port area. It was dirty, and frankly didn't feel very safe.

We don't choose cruises that go to Nassau normally, but when that is what works in our schedule, we enjoy the ship on that day. DCL has fulfilled its need to dock in the country where it is flagged, we have contributed to their local economy with our port tax, and we enjoyed a safe, clean day.
We went in May of 09 and experienced none of that. While Nassau was not exciting, we never felt unsafe and no one was aggressive in any way.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Last edited by EPCOTatNight; 12-27-2012 at 05:50 AM.
EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner

Agreed. On our 2010 Bahamas cruise I felt less safe then at ports during my 2 Mexican Riviera cruises. I had one lady grab my daughter's arm roughly and try to pull us to her hair braiding area. We got out of it easily enough but my DD was upset and it left a bad taste in my mouth for the port.

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #15
misslissa
DIS Veteran

Been to Nassau a few times now in the last few years, most recently last year. As I mentioned earlier, we had our 5 month old. We have never, ever felt unsafe there at all. The Bahamian women definitely said 'Hello' to my baby, commented on how cute he was, fawned over him, but never was anyone aggressive or threatening to anyone in our party.

In the Straw Market, they are trying to sell. If you are worried about being 'harassed', I'd avoid it. I loved it. But, if being approached by anyone worries you, don't go there. You will be talked to, but I find them friendly!

When we go again, in less than a month, we will be probably strolling the streets, may take a cab to the Fish Fry, and if we are in a beach mood, we will walk next door to the port to the Hilton where you can use their beach with a day pass.

Last of all, we haven't been to Castaway Cay with child... but we have been without child and also to the beach with him. We plan on bringing a floaty toy for him (one that is inflatable), lots of sunscreen and a head to toe outfit for sun protection, lots of drinks and a good attitude. We tried to bring a 50 SPF beach umbrella with us, but it got lost by the airline. We did find a protective sun net made by Jolly Jumper that is pretty cool to bring and we've used it on a few trips now.

Traveling with a baby just requires patience and planning more than anything. Run through your day and pack all of that along with anything you'll need for the sun You'll have a great time!
August 2013 - Joined DVC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: