Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #151
sushi candy
Foodie
 
sushi candy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep
So happy your reviews have started! And they started with a bang!! My goodness what a stressful trip to get to the Le Cellier. Kudos to the team there for giving you a spot at dinner. So glad you enjoyed it!!

Your pictures are amazing!! You're making me regret not having Le Cellier in the line up when we go in a few weeks.
The manager at Le Cellier was super sweet. I am really thankful because otherwise I would have missed an incredible meal. Le Cellier is one of my favorite restaurants now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy
Oh so sorry the entrees at Tokyo Dining didn't deliver as expected. Although for the entrees you would expect TD to have been better. Glad dessert was a perfect score! I love flan so would likely really like this as well.
Brenda, you would have loved it. The pudding was also a nice-sizer and easy to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985
your food photos are beautiful! What lens are you using and are you using an external flash??
Thank you, Rachel! I am using a Nikon 5100 with a 50mm lens. Due to personal preference, I hate using flash. This makes my life extremely difficult when taking dinner pictures. The low light and almost no light seems to be common in most restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess
It's nice to see a Tokyo dining review! Even if you didn't like your dinner very much.
I was really looking forward to Tokyo Dining since Japanese cuisine is my favorite. I did hit up another restaurant with sushi later on and I will get to that review soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps
I think your pictures make the food look much better than they actually were!!

Tokyo dining has never been on our radar. We like Sushi (but my husband can have very little of it.) but we have to be in the right mood for it and that is hard to plan for when at WDW.

Sorry it was disappointing for you! The appetizer does look really good though!
I would recommend Kimonos at the Swan & Dolphin if you both are really hankering for hardcore sushi. It seems like the reviews are consistently better there from what I have read. I did eat sushi at California Grill later in the week but I'll spill the details when that review is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip
At Tokyo Dining, I had the same appetizer and dessert and also really enjoyed them. Sorry the entrees weren't up to par.

Once again, the pics are absolutely gorgeous.
You and I seem to pick the lighter, seafood, non-meat dishes. I like eating something I have never had before or choosing the unexpected choice when I can. I sometimes wish all dishes were served tapas style- that way I get to taste everything without completely filling up on one thing.
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #152
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance
 
BlovesC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)
Posts: 2,284

Oh my gosh! I'm late to the party but your photos are STUNNING. I don't know how you shot such gorgeous photos in Le Cellier of all places! And your photo of the filet made me drool. I LOVE mushrooms and truffles, it's been a few years since we ate at Le Cellier but you're making me want to go back SOON!
__________________

B & C , Local AP/TiW holders & resort junkies!
12/08: CR & SSR|10/09: VWL| 1/10:AKL&POFQ| 10/10:AKL| 1/11:CR| 2/11:POFQ| 1/12:AKL|5/12:BC|
9/12:BC| 10/12:SSR| 1/13:ASMu| 5/13:BC| 6/13:POP| 8/13:WL| 10/13:POFQ| 12/13:Disney Dream| 1/14: ASMu| 3/14: BC
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #153
rachel09985
DIS Veteran
 
rachel09985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN (Originally Ohio)
Posts: 3,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post


Thank you, Rachel! I am using a Nikon 5100 with a 50mm lens. Due to personal preference, I hate using flash. This makes my life extremely difficult when taking dinner pictures. The low light and almost no light seems to be common in most restaurants.
Oh, I am sooo thankful to hear you say you used the 50mm lens!!!I have the Canon 50mm f 1.8 and I was sooo worried it would be too much zoom. Actually, I posted on the Photography Board asking if 50mm would be okay for food pictures and I was kinda of laughed at.. But I will have to use it now especially in the dark restaurants!!
__________________

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #154
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer
 
AvasMommy526's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 285

I'm going to say what everyone else has......Amazing photography!!! Just beautiful shots! I really need to invest in a DSLR, I have an Olympus pen and it really takes nice photos but no where near yours! Next big purchase lol!

I'm glad your meal at LeCellier was great! We are so looking forward to our dinner there! Sorry about TD, I've never been there before, but the reviews have been like yours, good apps but so so meals!
Can't wait to hear more
__________________
Me- Nicole + DH DD (2) Lucy




AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #155
sushi candy
Foodie
 
sushi candy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC
Oh my gosh! I'm late to the party but your photos are STUNNING. I don't know how you shot such gorgeous photos in Le Cellier of all places! And your photo of the filet made me drool. I LOVE mushrooms and truffles, it's been a few years since we ate at Le Cellier but you're making me want to go back SOON!
I just left and I want to go back to Le Cellier again, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985

Oh, I am sooo thankful to hear you say you used the 50mm lens!!!I have the Canon 50mm f 1.8 and I was sooo worried it would be too much zoom. Actually, I posted on the Photography Board asking if 50mm would be okay for food pictures and I was kinda of laughed at.. But I will have to use it now especially in the dark restaurants!!
I think people put too much emphasis on the equipment to be honest. Not everyone has the cash to drop $600 on a macro lens. For me, food photography is a wonderful and enjoyable hobby. My 50mm lens cost $150 and yes, the Nikon dslr is pricey. For professionals or those who are really committed, good for them to get the latest and best equipment to get the best photos. I think though that it is your style and your point of view that creates the best photography. The most beautiful art can be made with just a pencil and paper. Whether you have a macro lens or the 50mm lens, the results lie with the photographer. I do want to get a macro lens someday but I am quite happy and content with my 50mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526
I'm going to say what everyone else has......Amazing photography!!! Just beautiful shots! I really need to invest in a DSLR, I have an Olympus pen and it really takes nice photos but no where near yours! Next big purchase lol!

I'm glad your meal at LeCellier was great! We are so looking forward to our dinner there! Sorry about TD, I've never been there before, but the reviews have been like yours, good apps but so so meals!
Can't wait to hear more
Thank you so much! Dslr creates that instant depth of field lacking in a P&S. Totally worth the upgrade if you can swing it!
This trip taught me that I should look into opening a chain of restaurants that serves just apps and desserts, lol. I seem to enjoy them the most.
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #156
sushi candy
Foodie
 
sushi candy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 227

Grand Floridian Cafe Breakfast Review


Lobster Eggs Benedict

I am an eggs Benedict fan and I had to order this when I saw it on the menu. The eggs were perfectly poached. The hollandaise sauce is creamy. The asparagus, lobster hash, and veggies underneath the eggs were heavenly. This is a glorious, meat-less interpretation of the traditional eggs benedict which is served with ham over an English muffin. I absolutely adored it. The asparagus was crisp and I wish they had more. Despite missing the meat, it was still a very filling meal.

Rating:




I also had the cappuccino.

DH had the pancakes and I didn't take a pic. He inhaled them and managed to share a few bites. It was the best buttermilk pancakes I've had- super fluffy and just scrumptious.

Overall, I totally enjoyed my breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe. It was an excellent experience. I would have been content to eat all of DH's delicious pancakes as well.

Rating:
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #157
jmm476
DIS Veteran
 
jmm476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 994

So glad to hear you liked GFC for breakfast, that will be one of our "new" places in December. I booked it for 2 reasons: 1) to see the gingerbread house in the lobby and 2) for lobster eggs benedict!
__________________
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #158
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran
 
DonaldDoleWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,575

I'm so happy you enjoyed Grand Floridian Cafe! I've only had lunch and dinner there, but the food there has always been above average, and the atmosphere is lovely.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #159
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran
 
Tracerr00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,400

Sorry to hear that your experience at Tokyo Dining was just meh. Your pictures could make anyone want to go there though!! I've never had breakfast at GF and it looks fantastic. Your lobster eggs benedict is like nothing I've ever seen, wow! I'm still trying to decipher what's in there. I'll eat pretty much anything with sauce on it though so I don't even need to know what it's made of!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #160
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
NoOrdinaryPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,387

I want to try the GFC so badly (for any meal, really), but I don't think we're going to make it there this trip! Your breakfast review looks excellent! THere are fewer of those on the boards.
__________________

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #161
ksromack
DIS Veteran
 
ksromack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post

Lobster Eggs Benedict

I am an eggs Benedict fan and I had to order this when I saw it on the menu. The eggs were perfectly poached. The hollandaise sauce is creamy. The asparagus, lobster hash, and veggies underneath the eggs were heavenly. This is a glorious, meat-less interpretation of the traditional eggs benedict which is served with ham over an English muffin. I absolutely adored it. The asparagus was crisp and I wish they had more. Despite missing the meat, it was still a very filling meal.
Well, I'm allergic to shellfish but I'm determined this trip to go to places where dh can get lobster! Thank you so much for posting this review. I've just booked GFC for a breakfast! We're doing the resort hop earlier in the week so this will give us an opportunity to get another look at that gingerbread house!
__________________
ksromack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #162
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran
 
auntfrannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,337

I had the lobster eggs benedict back in May and it was delicious! Definitely not a light breakfast, but very tasty!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #163
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran
 
silverhaze269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 922

Wow, I didn't realize how long I'd been away for! Eek!

Anyway, glad to hear you had a great trip, and LOVING the reviews/photos so far!

It sucks that your entrees at Tokyo Dining weren't quite as good as you were hoping, but it sounds like everything else was.

Your Le Cellier review makes me wish we had a reservation there ... Maybe we'll have some luck on our side if we want to eat there while we're in WDW and be able to get a walk-up. If not, I still stand by my decision to make our one signature meal at the Brown Derby. I'm excited to see how your meal was there!
__________________
Disney Dreaming: A September 2014 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post48536722
Happy Together: The I-had-good-intentions-but-never-finished-this very short quasi TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post46864647
Our Not So Scary, Very Merry, Honeymoon - An Oct/Nov 2012 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post44281398
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115


October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
silverhaze269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #164
sushi candy
Foodie
 
sushi candy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476
So glad to hear you liked GFC for breakfast, that will be one of our "new" places in December. I booked it for 2 reasons: 1) to see the gingerbread house in the lobby and 2) for lobster eggs benedict!
I wish I was there to see the gingerbread house. The Grand Floridian is such a lovely resort, sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip
I'm so happy you enjoyed Grand Floridian Cafe! I've only had lunch and dinner there, but the food there has always been above average, and the atmosphere is lovely.
I love how quiet the atmosphere is. I figure that will change when the Disney Vacation Club Villas are built soon. It was your review that inspired me to choose the GFC for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00
Sorry to hear that your experience at Tokyo Dining was just meh. Your pictures could make anyone want to go there though!! I've never had breakfast at GF and it looks fantastic. Your lobster eggs benedict is like nothing I've ever seen, wow! I'm still trying to decipher what's in there. I'll eat pretty much anything with sauce on it though so I don't even need to know what it's made of!
I think you will just love it, Tracy. The sauce blends so well with the runny yolks and makes it all super yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess
I want to try the GFC so badly (for any meal, really), but I don't think we're going to make it there this trip! Your breakfast review looks excellent! THere are fewer of those on the boards.
I wish you could have squeezed it in. It really is an outstanding breakfast choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack

Well, I'm allergic to shellfish but I'm determined this trip to go to places where dh can get lobster! Thank you so much for posting this review. I've just booked GFC for a breakfast! We're doing the resort hop earlier in the week so this will give us an opportunity to get another look at that gingerbread house!
He will love it! There is another place I had lobster which was fabulous! It will be coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntfrannie
I had the lobster eggs benedict back in May and it was delicious! Definitely not a light breakfast, but very tasty!
Isn't it? I am already dreaming of having it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaze269
Wow, I didn't realize how long I'd been away for! Eek!

Anyway, glad to hear you had a great trip, and LOVING the reviews/photos so far!

It sucks that your entrees at Tokyo Dining weren't quite as good as you were hoping, but it sounds like everything else was.

Your Le Cellier review makes me wish we had a reservation there ... Maybe we'll have some luck on our side if we want to eat there while we're in WDW and be able to get a walk-up. If not, I still stand by my decision to make our one signature meal at the Brown Derby. I'm excited to see how your meal was there!
I am still holding out hope you can get an LC ADR! I managed to do it and I totally loved it! As for the Brown Derby, that will be coming up!
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #165
sushi candy
Foodie
 
sushi candy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 227




L'Escargots in Parsley Butter

When I have escargot, it is usually served baked with a ton of cheese and garlic. I am now having it the French way. Audrey, our gorgeous server from France, suggested the app be eaten with the baguette. It was pretty combined because I found the parsley butter to be quite strong on its own. Definitely not for the squeamish since the texture of escargots can be quite alarming, lol.

Rating:




Cheese Platter

I love cheese! I especially love the soft stinky cheeses. I found this to be delightful especially when eaten along with the plump, sweet, grapes. I loved the Camembert, the blue, and the goat cheese the most. The firm Gouda was also good. I definitely emulated Remy when tasting this dish. I combined the flavours together and enjoyed the little gourmet fireworks of taste. It was an excellent cheese platter.

Rating:




Angus Burger on a Brioche Bun
DH liked his burger!



Crepe Florentine

The crepe itself was huge. The chunks of chicken breasts inside the crepe was huge. I barely ate a quarter of the crepe. I found it to be disappointing just because I found the bechamel sauce to be scarce as well as the veggie components: the mushrooms and spinach. I wish they put in less chicken and balanced it out with more sauce and veggies.

Rating:




Fruits Sorbet with a Madeleine

This was DH's dessert but I pillaged it. It was absolutely gorgeous, tasty, and simple. Yes, I ate the Madeleine but DH offered.

Rating:




Vanilla Creme Brûlée

The crispy layer was very fragile and gave way to a sumptuous creamy layer. The vanilla cream was whipped, decadent, and lovely. This was a lovely way to finish the meal.

Rating:



Overall again, I loved the apps and the desserts and didn't care for the entree. I gets a solid 4/5. Our server Audrey was lovely and excellent. I thanked her in French when we left. I said, "Votre service est fantastique. Merci pour un experience incroyable." My French is super rusty. It means your service was fantastic and thank you for an incredible experience. She smiled and giggled at the compliment.

sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: