Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

First Time Planner, And I Might Need Some Help! - Updated - Days 1-2

Hi Everyone!

My name is Laur and I'm a long-time Dis lurker who finally decided to man-up and create an account so I can get some feedback for my upcoming trip!

So, without further ado here is my very first attempt at a PTR...

"Honey, how many times are you going to change this itinerary around and is it really necessary for you to keep everything in a binder?"

At this point, we've put together our basic itinerary & made most of our ADRs. I've planned some special surprises here and there for DBF. I hope someone out there finds me entertaining and I hope the experts will weigh-in and help me out with the gaps in my plans! So, here we go!

Past Trips
1989 Contemporary 1994 Wilderness Lodge 1998 Wilderness Lodge 2007 Offsite 2009 Disneyland

Last edited by LaurNY; 07-25-2012 at 10:12 PM.
LaurNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

All About Me
All About The Trip
The Trip Master Plan
Trip Day 1 - Arrival Day
Trip Day 2 - Magic Kingdom/DHS
Trip Day 3 - Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom
Trip Day 4 - Epcot
Trip Day 5 - DHS/Epcot
Trip Day 6 - Universal Studios/DTD
Trip Day 7 - Magic Kingdom
Trip Day 8 - Departure Day
Our Trip "Must Do's"

Past Trips
1989 Contemporary 1994 Wilderness Lodge 1998 Wilderness Lodge 2007 Offsite 2009 Disneyland

Last edited by LaurNY; 07-25-2012 at 10:05 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Looking forward to following your PTR. We'll be there when you are (from the 14th-18th).
Old 07-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
Looking forward to following your PTR. We'll be there when you are (from the 14th-18th).
Thanks so much! I hope I can make this interesting!

Past Trips
Old 07-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

More About Me!

Hi there! My name is Laur. I am 25 years old and just finished my masters degree in nonprofit management. It was a long 3 years, since I had to work full time while in school. But I did it. And someday I hope to fulfill my dream of working with underprivileged kids. For now, I work in fundraising and I lead a pretty hectic life. My DBF is a nurse who works the night shift, so our schedules only sync up 2 or 3 days a week. I have a ton of interests: sports, cooking, photography, movies, just to name a few. I can sometimes be a homebody, but usually I am up for anything. I try to experience as many different things as I can.

Adventure is out there!

I have always loved all things Disney, since I was a little kid.

My first trip to WDW.

I couldn't wait to go back after our trip in 1998. But, circumstances as they were, I wasn't able to go until nearly 10 years later. In 2007 my family went on a large group trip to Orlando. I only got to spend a few days at WDW, but it rekindled my love for all things Disney. In 2009, I took a girls trip with my mom to California and convinced her to spend one day at Disneyland with me. It was the best day of the trip!

Creepy, but I'm glad I had the chance to take this picture before they got rid of the big letters!

Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Ride: Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Toy Story Midway Mania (only ridden it in DL!)
Favorite Movie: Up (guaranteed I cry during the first 10 minutes, EVERY DAMN TIME), Wall-E, Toy Story, Beauty and the Beast
Favorite Character: Mickey & Minnie, Wall-E, Dug

So that is a lot of information about me! Maybe DBF will let me post a little profile about him too, but for now, I'll include a little bio in my "All About The Trip" section!

I promise I'll be back soon with the basic plan of attack for our trip and then each day a little more in-depth. Along with reports about everything else going on!

Past Trips

Last edited by LaurNY; 07-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

All About The TRIP

Who's Going?
Me - 25 y.o. who just finished her masters degree (read: needs a vacation) and hasn't been on a real Disney World trip since 1998. I love to plan, take pictures, and I probably shop more on vacation than I should! My favorite part of vacation is planning special experiences for whoever I am with. And yes, I am keeping everything related to this trip in a Disney binder.

DBF - 27 y.o. nurse who hasn't been to Disney World since he was really little. Loves to tour, generally tolerates my shopping, and is kind of a foodie. DBF is a perfect vacation partner because he pretty much goes with my flow.

Me and DBF have been together for two years and have gone on several trips together. We decided a year ago that we wanted to head to WDW together for a week-long trip since neither of us had been in a really long time. (DBF has never experience Soarin'!!!) We decided to go in October because DBF started a new job a few months ago and wouldn't be able to take off a whole week until the fall. Plus, we figured the weather would be better and the crowds would be lower in the fall.

We have the same attitude about vacation: get up early, take afternoon breaks, stay up late, and just have fun.

Big Details
Dates: October 13-20
Hotel: Port Orleans - Riverside (A new hotel for me, DBF has stayed there once before)
Tickets: 5-Day Park Hoppers
Dining Plan: Deluxe (First experience on the Dining Plan, and I am excited!)

Past Trips

Last edited by LaurNY; 08-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

Here is the trip "Master Plan" as I like to call it

I am super organized and I really love to make charts and I use Excel for organizing different aspects of my life. I decided to keep everything organized on a calendar I created. This way, DBF and I can have the calendar on our phones while in the parks and we don't have to carry around the paper version!

As you can see, there are some gaps where we need to decide food options. And most likely we will just grab something CS in those cases. But DBF and I are the type to ask each other, "hey what do you want to eat" and respond with "I don't know, what do you want?" So, we need as solid of a plan as possible!

Past Trips
Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

Trip Day 1 - Arrival Day

I am usually one of those people who wants to get up at 4am and be on a 7am flight. BUT, for this trip, DBF convinced me we should take it a little easier on arrival day - ensuring me that we would have just enough time to do everything else we wanted to do without having a hectic arrival day.

So, I reluctantly booked a 1:30pm flight out of NY that has us landing in Orlando around 4:30pm.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a later flight. I can sleep in, go over my suitcase one more time, and maybe have time to get a manicure before we leave!

The original plan for our first night at WDW was to check into the Port Orleans Riverside and then take the boat over to DTD for dinner. I like the DTD Disney area, especially the stores. And DBF would enjoy the atmosphere. Plus it would be a relaxing way to start our trip.

WELL

A few weeks ago, I saw that Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue reservations had opened up for booking! I had previously read that it would be closed for renovation when we would be there, and I was seriously heartbroken. I LOVED HDDR as a kid, as did DBF, and the Wilderness Lodge is one of my favorite resorts. I immediately snatched up an 8:30pm reservation for arrival night, knowing it would be a perfect way to start our trip! What better way to get in the Disney spirit?! (Plus, unlimited sangria.)

I am really looking forward to a relaxing arrival day.

I hope everything goes according to plan!!

Past Trips
Old 07-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Just for the record, I keep everything Disney trip related in a binder too! I'm in!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Just for the record, I keep everything Disney trip related in a binder too! I'm in!
Thanks! The binder is really handy. And I decided right before we leave I will scan everything and put the PDF on my phone. This way, I can have everything with me, without having to lug said binder around the parks!

Past Trips
Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
PrincessAmongPrinces
Mouseketeer

Hi there! I'm joining in!
1st- you picked a great week to go! That's when we went last year, and I found the weather and the crowds to be quite pleasant!
2nd- I love that you still call it MGM! I totally do too! It took a long time before I was able to convert to the "proper" DHS.
3rd - I adore your spreadsheet. You're a girl after my own heart! I had a very similar chart for our trip. But I find it really helpful to have a master game plan.
Your plans are off to a great start! I'm looking forward to reading more!
PrincessAmongPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAmongPrinces View Post
Hi there! I'm joining in!
1st- you picked a great week to go! That's when we went last year, and I found the weather and the crowds to be quite pleasant!
2nd- I love that you still call it MGM! I totally do too! It took a long time before I was able to convert to the "proper" DHS.
3rd - I adore your spreadsheet. You're a girl after my own heart! I had a very similar chart for our trip. But I find it really helpful to have a master game plan.
Your plans are off to a great start! I'm looking forward to reading more!
Thanks! Me and DBF still call it MGM but here on the Dis I thought I should try and be more current - calling it DHS. So I guess I use both. I hadn't realized they changed the name until about a year ago. Whoops!

Past Trips
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
lledman
DIS Veteran

following to see your other plans.

I too have a trip binder, I have used the same one for our first 4 trips but it was getting to be quite large so for our last trip in January I replaced it with a new trip binder which I am using again for our October trip.
May 2011 with the in-laws
January 2012 - no husbands allowed

Best Friends Take on the World - October 2012 PTR

lledman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
sushi candy
Foodie

Totally subscribing! I am so happy to see another planning nut like me!
I was going to use a binder but I decided to use a notebook instead since I wanted to travel light. I think it's great that you are dropping by to see Hogwarts.
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
LaurNY
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lledman View Post
following to see your other plans.

I too have a trip binder, I have used the same one for our first 4 trips but it was getting to be quite large so for our last trip in January I replaced it with a new trip binder which I am using again for our October trip.
Thanks for joining in! I will most likely keep the printouts of everything from this trip in PDF form on my computer or maybe on a Disney flash drive. I could only imagine how much paper I would accumulate after a few trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
Totally subscribing! I am so happy to see another planning nut like me!
I was going to use a binder but I decided to use a notebook instead since I wanted to travel light. I think it's great that you are dropping by to see Hogwarts.
Thanks! I am considering bringing along a very small notebook to take notes during my trip. I don't like to carry too much stuff around with me! The Hogwarts trip was a MUST and I'll go into more detail about that further down the road in this report!

Past Trips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: