Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
mom-of-twins-2002
Mouseketeer

passport advice needed!

Our family is booked on a 3 night cruise on the dream traveling to nassau & castaway cay the end of september. There are 6 of us (myself, DH, and four kids 9,9,5,3), and I'm trying to decide whether or not to bite the bullet for all of us to have current passports.

We're getting close to our 8-week mark for our cruise, and they estimate 6-8 weeks for passport processing time, so I'm really under the gun to make a decision.

It would cost us about $650 to get our passports/have them renewed. I realize they're not required for our cruise & we have booked through dreams unlimited who has advised us that they're recommmended (though there's a very remote chance we'd actually need them). So to me, they seem like a $650 insurance policy. We don't have our sights on any other out-of-country travel anytime soon, so I don't see us putting them to use in any other way.

WWYD?? Should I just get mine & DH's renewed & just bring along the kids' birth certificates (and my 9yo's expired passports) or have them for everyone?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Tammy
mom-of-twins-2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Tammy! First, congrats on your cruise!!

You will get many answers on this...but I say use your Birth certificates for all of you...at the most get yours and DH's renewed as insurance policy. I say that with the caveat that you must get trip insurance! The main reason for getting passports is to get home in case of an emergency..but honestly, it's such a rare occasion...if you have trip insurance, that will help mitigate damages from a financial standpoint should an emergency arise...

Our kids' passports expired last year, we are not renewing any until they travel out of the country again....I do like 'peace of mind' knowing I and my husband have ours, but if ours were expired, honestly, I'd just take Birth certificate and driver's license...too expensive otherwise. They should move this to the main cruise forum..you'll get more responses It's on the cruise pre trip reports page now...

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
mom-of-twins-2002
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000
Tammy! First, congrats on your cruise!!

You will get many answers on this...but I say use your Birth certificates for all of you...at the most get yours and DH's renewed as insurance policy. I say that with the caveat that you must get trip insurance! The main reason for getting passports is to get home in case of an emergency..but honestly, it's such a rare occasion...if you have trip insurance, that will help mitigate damages from a financial standpoint should an emergency arise...

Our kids' passports expired last year, we are not renewing any until they travel out of the country again....I do like 'peace of mind' knowing I and my husband have ours, but if ours were expired, honestly, I'd just take Birth certificate and driver's license...too expensive otherwise. They should move this to the main cruise forum..you'll get more responses It's on the cruise pre trip reports page now...
Thanks for the input! I am leaning toward just getting mine & my husband's renewed. Unfortunately since we already paid the balance on our cruise, I think it's too late to add trip insurance. :/
mom-of-twins-2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-of-twins-2002 View Post
Thanks for the input! I am leaning toward just getting mine & my husband's renewed. Unfortunately since we already paid the balance on our cruise, I think it's too late to add trip insurance. :/
NO! Never too late! Go to www.***************** and enter in your information, you just may not get policies that allow pre-existing conditions, but as far as if a medical emergency arises or you lose luggage etc...you can get coverage! We are going in September and I have NOT bought our room yet but called to price out plans and there is no problem buying it. I just need to know how much my total trip is that's all!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
tweis
DIS Veteran

This is a question that so many people have and one that I had as well. However, we took the advice of our TA and got passports. Keep in mind we were taking a 5 night cruise. Had we been on a 3 night I may not have gotten them. I beleive the term "emergency" means an emergency stateside. If you have an emergency onboard the ship, I'm sure you will get home. If something happens back home, not so sure without you having passports to get there. Hope this helps.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

I have the same question and I keep analyzing the situation. There is only 1 day that we will be on a Bahama Island. Is CC US owned since it is a disney island? The rest of the time is onboard the ship. So in the case of an emergency, 3 out of 4 days, we are either on the ship or on CC.... would we really have trouble getting to the mainland US without a passport? In a true emergency, like this person is gonna die situation, they are not gonna air transport someone until they are somewhat stable anyway. I just don't know what I am gonna do.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

You'll get lots of opinions, but I'm in the "get a passport" camp.

We had three emergency evacuations during our cruise last month: One by helicopter, one by lifeboat, and one by ambulance. After seeing those, there is no way I'd ever recommend traveling without a passport. (Our friends were on the Fantasy two weeks after us, and they also had a helicopter evacuation while at sea.)

Birth certificates and drivers' licenses only work for closed loop cruises. Passport cards only work for driving across borders. If you do have an emergency outside the US, you would need a passport to get back into the country. Otherwise, you would have to go through a lengthy (and expensive!) repatriation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
I have the same question and I keep analyzing the situation. There is only 1 day that we will be on a Bahama Island. Is CC US owned since it is a disney island? The rest of the time is onboard the ship. So in the case of an emergency, 3 out of 4 days, we are either on the ship or on CC.... would we really have trouble getting to the mainland US without a passport? In a true emergency, like this person is gonna die situation, they are not gonna air transport someone until they are somewhat stable anyway. I just don't know what I am gonna do.
Castaway Cay is a Bahamian island. If you have an emergency that is life-threatening, you will be evacuated from the ship. They are not equipped to handle it. They will choose to evacuate by helicopter, lifeboat, or ambulance. Either way, you would still need a passport, because you wouldn't be entering the port on your ship.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
nemofanatic
Mouseketeer

we are not getting passports. It's just way too expensive for us. We are mostly staying on the ship anyway. It's just another expense that we can't really afford.

DISNEYWORLD/RED BOAT CRUISE-CARRIBEAN BEACH JUNE 1992
DISNEYLAND/KNOTTS BERRY SEPTEMBER 1999
DISNEYLAND- CASTLE INN SUITES CHRISTMAS 2001
DISNEYWORLD POP CENTURY APRIL 2004
DISNEYLAND HALLOWEEN TRIP OCTOBER 2005
DISNEYWORLD-KEY WEST GRAND GATHERING MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND MOTHERS DAY TRIP MAY 2008
DISNEYLAND SUMMER TRIP JULY 2009
SPRING BREAK DISNEYLAND 2010
DISNEYWORLD MARCH 2011
DISNEYLAND WIH ADAM MARCH 2012
DISNEYLAND WITH CINDY (GRADUATION) JUNE 2012
DISNEY PIXAR CRUISE OCTOBER 2012
DISNEYLAND/S.CA xmas trip Mike/Adam/ Dec 2013
nemofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvTeacher
You'll get lots of opinions, but I'm in the "get a passport" camp.

We had three emergency evacuations during our cruise last month: One by helicopter, one by lifeboat, and one by ambulance. After seeing those, there is no way I'd ever recommend traveling without a passport. (Our friends were on the Fantasy two weeks after us, and they also had a helicopter evacuation while at sea.)

Birth certificates and drivers' licenses only work for closed loop cruises. Passport cards only work for driving across borders. If you do have an emergency outside the US, you would need a passport to get back into the country. Otherwise, you would have to go through a lengthy (and expensive!) repatriation.

Castaway Cay is a Bahamian island. If you have an emergency that is life-threatening, you will be evacuated from the ship. They are not equipped to handle it. They will choose to evacuate by helicopter, lifeboat, or ambulance. Either way, you would still need a passport, because you wouldn't be entering the port on your ship.
There is just a little bit of misinformation here. In a medical emergency you will be transported to a local hospital whether or not you have a passport. You will be treated. Should you need to return to the US, you will need to contact the US authorities to make arrangements for re-entry to the US. If your medical condition requires emergency treatment out of your current country including back to the US, that request will be expedited. If you have a passport, you do not need to go through the hassle or possible delay in travel, but you will not be refused medical treatment or transport in a medical emergency if you don't have one.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
CC is a Bahamian Island and is not owned by the US. My TA stressed to us that if their is an emergency you will NOT be able to fly back without a passport. So, if their is an emergency you will be required to get a passport from the State department before you can fly back. If someone needs to be airlifted I'm sure they will figure out a way to get them back, however, everyone else in their party without a passport cannot fly back.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclenut View Post
There is just a little bit of misinformation here. In a medical emergency you will be transported to a local hospital whether or not you have a passport. You will be treated. Should you need to return to the US, you will need to contact the US authorities to make arrangements for re-entry to the US. If your medical condition requires emergency treatment out of your current country including back to the US, that request will be expedited. If you have a passport, you do not need to go through the hassle or possible delay in travel, but you will not be refused medical treatment or transport in a medical emergency if you don't have one.
Nowhere in my reply did I state that the passenger would not receive medical treatment. The only thing I said was that they are not prepared on the ship to provide treatment for life-threatening illnesses or emergencies, and the passenger would be evacuated.

I then went on to explain exactly what you posted above regarding passports. A passport would be required to enter the US (by flight) without a lengthy and expensive repatriation. A passport card is only good for driving across boards and closed loop cruises, and a birth certificate or driver's license is only good for closed loop cruises.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
budbeerlady
I call DH The STREAK!!
Sorry honey, no world series tonight, Poo Watch 2006 is going on!

We travel with birth certificates and purchase insurance thru ***************** instead of Disney. I have a passport but for now I am not spending the extra for Dh and Dd to get them.

IF we were cruising and leaving the kids back home I would make sure 1 adult has a current passport. When we go without Dd I have mine incase I need to find the quickest way home to her in an emergency.
Nov 2013 1st Disney Run * Oct 2012 Dream'n Again * Oct 2011 Dd Birthday Cruise* Dec 2010 its all family! *August 2009 ASMu * Nov. 2008 Girls Trip POP * Aug 2008 CBR * Oct. 2007 POP for DD Birthday Trip * Dec. 2006 AKL * Dec. 2005 POFQ for 1st Family Trip* http://stretchingittotravel.wordpress.com/

budbeerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
CC is a Bahamian Island and is not owned by the US. My TA stressed to us that if their is an emergency you will NOT be able to fly back without a passport. So, if their is an emergency you will be required to get a passport from the State department before you can fly back. If someone needs to be airlifted I'm sure they will figure out a way to get them back, however, everyone else in their party without a passport cannot fly back.
The person from our cruise that was airlifted by the Coast Guard from Castaway Cay was treated at a hospital in Nassau.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We just renewed our passports for DW, DD (2) & myself earlier this year (& yes it was expensive) for our Fantasy 7 day cruise. We got insurance as well, the way we look at it, better to have all of our bases covered just in case.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvTeacher

Nowhere in my reply did I state that the passenger would not receive medical treatment. The only thing I said was that they are not prepared on the ship to provide treatment for life-threatening illnesses or emergencies, and the passenger would be evacuated.

I then went on to explain exactly what you posted above regarding passports. A passport would be required to enter the US (by flight) without a lengthy and expensive repatriation. A passport card is only good for driving across boards and closed loop cruises, and a birth certificate or driver's license is only good for closed loop cruises.
Thanks for clarification. Your post seemed to suggest that a passport was required to leave the ship for medical treatment. I must have read it incorrectly. Sorry about that.

To clarify my statement, the state department and/or embassy will issue credentials for emergency air travel in the event of an emergency and those credentials may not be a passport and the cost to obtain those credentials may not be substantially more than is charged for an expedited passport. What will be costly is the emergency air transportation, which is why trip insurance is recommended.

This debate about passports is probably the most common and most misunderstood. The bottom line is that having a passport is a matter of convenience. It makes things easier and for some, offers additional peace of mind. It is by no means required and not having one won't prevent anyone from receiving needed medical care (although it will make the process easier).

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: