Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Should Deluxe Resorts Get Added Perks?

On this week's show, the team discusses whether or not deluxe resort guests should get more perks than those staying at moderate or value resorts. This could be in the form of EMH, Fast Passes, or something new. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this topic. What do you think?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I understand the argument of perks for staying at a Deluxe, but I am of the opinion that there are already perks. The Deluxe resorts are beautiful, offer more amenities, more space, more restaurants, nicer pools. Monorail resorts have the monorail outside the door....big perk IMHO. I stayed at the Poly, it was wonderful. I have enjoyed staying at moderates too, but they don't compare to the Deluxes. I do believe though, once you hit the parks they should be the same for everyone to enjoy at the same level. One of the reasons I won't go to Universal is because of they work their FOTL access. I will be very disappointed in Disney if they go the way of Universal when it comes to FP's/FOTL.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream

Last edited by WaltD4Me; 07-18-2012 at 11:30 PM.
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I understand the argument of perks for staying at a Deluxe, but I am of the opinion that there are already perks. The Deluxe resorts are beautiful, offer more amenities, more space, more restaurants, nicer pools. Monorail resorts have the monorail outside the door....big perk IMHO. I stayed at the Poly, it was wonderful. I have enjoyed staying at moderates too, but they don't compare to the Deluxes. I do believe though, once you hit the parks they should be the same for everyone to enjoy at the same level. One of the reasons I won't go to Universal is because of they work their FOTL access. I will be very disappointed in Disney if they go the way of Universal when it comes to FP's/FOTL.
I couldn't have said it any better.
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
BigGreen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I want extra perks just for me. I don't want to have to deal with the unwashed masses. I'm a Deluxe (well DVC) snob.

OK, back to reality. I'd prefer if Disney avoided class warfare and kept special opportunities available to anybody who cared to pay for it.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I want extra perks just for me. I don't want to have to deal with the unwashed masses. I'm a Deluxe (well DVC) snob.

OK, back to reality. I'd prefer if Disney avoided class warfare and kept special opportunities available to anybody who cared to pay for it.
But we are DVC so we aren't paying for a package so we get nothing. Due to guest demand....

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I thought the Deluxe resorts *were* the added perks. I haven't stayed at a moderate since I was a little kid (and have never stayed at a Value yet), but having seen a bunch of different resorts, the Deluxe resorts (I've stayed at Poly, AKL, BWI and GF RPC) have a totally different feel to them.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

I agree with most here....staying at a Deluxe is a perk....you certainly pay for it. Mostly, I stay at the Values (not just because they are less in cost, but because I really like the feeling of them)...I have stayed at Deluxe before, and I loved it....with the monorail just outside it is a bonus.

I don't think the Deluxe resorts need extra FP or early entry...just MHO

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
ctl
Mouseketeer

Smile Deluxe resorts have perks

The Deluxe resorts are perks in themselves. They have larger rooms, concierge services,beautiful pools, spa services, nicer restaurants, monorail access. If you start to limit EMH etc to deluxe resorts then that will push up the price of the deluxe resorts as more people want to book them. Be careful what you wish for, if EMH etc were limited to deluxe resorts and the price soared due to higher demand,you could be on here complaining about the excessive rise in deluxe hotel costs next.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl View Post
The Deluxe resorts are perks in themselves. They have larger rooms, concierge services,beautiful pools, spa services, nicer restaurants, monorail access....
...and giraffes
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
ctl
Mouseketeer

Smile Awesome!

Yeah roomthreeseventeen,sorry I forgot the giraffes!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
...and giraffes
I agree with the giraffe . . .
Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Very well said and I totally agree!

5/05 Pop, 12/06 POFQ, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 All Star Movies, 4/09 CBR/AKV/Disney Wonder, 12/11 Pop, 11/13 All Star Music, 11/14 CSR
momto2inKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Red face

I would prefer that don't do this. It's a ant's nest you don't want opened. For example what happens if you have an annual passholder staying at a value? I happen to be in that situation a lot so probably why I'm asking.

I think that just staying at deluxe resort is a perk. Deluxes are in better locations, have better pools and more sit down restaurants and shopping.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
monkistan
Mouseketeer

i just have to say Amen to all of the above. you already get what you pay for. the deluxes are nicer than the moderates which are far and away nicer than thee values. there are already perks and niceties to staying at a deluxe.
monkistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

The resorts are already classed and vary based off what they offer. It would seem greedy to start offering more non-resort perks to those staying at Deluxe resorts.

If anything, I'd almost say that the only additional perk I'd like to see at the Deluxe resorts, Is for them to start actually offering closer to the non-Disney version of "Deluxe Resort" service. While there is a noticable difference in the resort feel from a moderate or Value, The Deluxe's, to me, don't really seem to really be up to a true deluxe standard that would justify the cost difference.

Since people seem to bring up comparisons to onsite at Universal quite often, I'll throw in my own analysis. The Way Universal handles their express or FotL Priviledges work for them because of the park layouts and design....and their total resort capacity allows them to over the unlimited express without overloading the system. Disney's park layouts and designs, along with their resort capacity, don't really offer them the same ability to offer the same type of perk to their guests without major tweaks that will throw the entire system off-balance.

More importantly... If you look at the costs, Yes....Universal's Current resorts can be priced comparably to the Disney Deluxes. What you get however within your resort and room however at Universal's Resorts are much closer to what would pass for a Deluxe Resort outside of Disney. The universal resorts, run by Lowes, offer the same level of service that you might expect at a Lowes anyplace else in the country.

So IMHO, Rather than concentrate on how to "Improve the Disney Deluxe Experience" thru additional perks or privileges at the parks, I Think Disney would be better served and have more success by improving the level of service at the resorts themselves. [Which might be something as simple as improving the staff training, expectations, and experience to a level that Disney's current pay-scale and interchangeable resort staffing policies currently don't allow]
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: