Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Cruising to Alaska for 4th of July

We're booked on next year's July 4th week cruise to Alaska on the Wonder from Vancouver. Now that this year's cruisers for that week have been home for a bit...what have they done on the ship over the last two years to celebrate? We'll be a little sad about the lack of fireworks...but the scenery in Alaska will be celebration enough, I'm sure.

Did they offer a special dinner menu or deck party? Was the ship decorated? Any photos you have would be great!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
We're booked on next year's July 4th week cruise to Alaska on the Wonder from Vancouver. Now that this year's cruisers for that week have been home for a bit...what have they done on the ship over the last two years to celebrate? We'll be a little sad about the lack of fireworks...but the scenery in Alaska will be celebration enough, I'm sure.

Did they offer a special dinner menu or deck party? Was the ship decorated? Any photos you have would be great!
I was reading a post yesterday and saw bunting decorating the lobby areas of the ship. The person who posted did not mention anything else special about the 4th of July cruise. Maybe you could do a search and see if you can find the post.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
lucky1
Face Character

Hi we were on the cruise during the 4th of July this year. Here are some of the things they did (Remember no fireworks). Also the 4th was when we were in Tracy's arm, so many of the activities were after we left the Glacier..

During the Afternoon buffet while we were in the fjord, they did have a ice sculpture with the flag. There was bunting in the Atrium.

In the Evening, they had a special celebration in the atrium, where several of the Cast from the Walt Disney Theatre came and sang patriotic songs and then the characters (fab 5) came down in their patriotic costumes for photo opportunities. The lobby area filled with confetti. (I later saw this confetti in the white (lifestyle) backdrop and they photographer had got some great shops of families in the confetti. ) They had a special photo backdrop of fireworks for family photos. They also had a special menu insert that had a 4th of July menu. You could choose items from that or from your normal rotational menu. Unfortunately I don't remember what was on that menu.
They also took dinner photos and your banner on those photos said something about July 4th.

That was about all I remember.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Fluffypants
Mouseketeer

OMG! Characters in patriotic costumes??? Now I am even MORE jealous of Mackie Mouse!!!! You better get pics with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!
Fluffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
Hi we were on the cruise during the 4th of July this year. Here are some of the things they did (Remember no fireworks). Also the 4th was when we were in Tracy's arm, so many of the activities were after we left the Glacier..

During the Afternoon buffet while we were in the fjord, they did have a ice sculpture with the flag. There was bunting in the Atrium.

In the Evening, they had a special celebration in the atrium, where several of the Cast from the Walt Disney Theatre came and sang patriotic songs and then the characters (fab 5) came down in their patriotic costumes for photo opportunities. The lobby area filled with confetti. (I later saw this confetti in the white (lifestyle) backdrop and they photographer had got some great shops of families in the confetti. ) They had a special photo backdrop of fireworks for family photos. They also had a special menu insert that had a 4th of July menu. You could choose items from that or from your normal rotational menu. Unfortunately I don't remember what was on that menu.
They also took dinner photos and your banner on those photos said something about July 4th.

That was about all I remember.
Thanks for the great reply! Sounds like the cruise this year was great, lucky1...I remember you from the DISMeet thread back when we were booked on your cruise. (Hopefully you remember us decideding to delay our 4th of July cruise by a year... ) Seems like just the right amount of added special stuff. I was hoping there wound be a special dinner menu and some decorations around the ship! Seems like the lack of fireworks are more than made up for, too.

Quote:
OMG! Characters in patriotic costumes??? Now I am even MORE jealous of Mackie Mouse!!!! You better get pics with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!
Oh, Fluffypants! Poor DH won't know what's coming. You know I'm generally not one to stand in lines for pictures with characters, but a photo with *patriotic* Mickey and Minnie *on* the 4th of July...? Hopefully I can drag him to at least one or two photos ops.

The other option is for Mr. Fluffypants and you to last-minute decide to join us on this cruise so Mr. Mackie Mouse can just be out-voted on photo ops :P
Old 07-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Fluffypants
Mouseketeer

Nobody likes a Party Pooper, Mr. Mackie Mouse!

Something tells me that vote would end up 2-2, and we would be standing in line with each other while they downed beers in Diversions . . .
Fluffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
lucky1
Face Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
Thanks for the great reply! Sounds like the cruise this year was great, lucky1...I remember you from the DISMeet thread back when we were booked on your cruise. (Hopefully you remember us decideding to delay our 4th of July cruise by a year...

I recognized the name.. but couldn't remember which thread it was from.. Hopefully the 2013 cruise will be a blast. I am jealous about your longer port times.

here is a trip report thread from the July 2 cruise, she may have some good photos: (No trip report from me... I capture a lot of pictures of ice, but not sure everyone wants to see that).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2957823
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Bumping this thread on behalf of my CruiseMeet buddies to see if anyone has any further replies. I saw something on another thread about commemorative champagne flutes that were dated and a special toast for the 4th - that would be awfully nice!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: