Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #391
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Oh, Joni! You are in my prayers! I am so thankful for your husband's service, and I pray that he returns safely to you!
Thank you so much girl! I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee2177 View Post
You and John are in my prayers!!
Thank you! That means a lot to us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsdocometrue9112 View Post
Thinking and prayer for you and your husband, Joni!! We so greatly appreciate his service!
Thank you so so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
So happy to have found your TR while I am anxiously awaiting my next trip. I've had such fun catching up!

First and foremost, thank you so much to both you and John for your service to our country. I can't imagine how difficult it must be and will be thinking of you both. And hoping you will be enjoying another WDW vacation together as soon as possible.

Now, on to some Beach Club love. Isn't it just the best place EVER???

So, I was thoroughly enjoying your TR but think I truly fell in love with it when you said (I'm paraphrasing): "... they abandoned any notion of self respect.... so of course I took a picture." Not sure what causes one to be that tired at 10am but god bless them, they must be having one heck of a vacation!

Hurrah for having a March trip to plan!
And thank you so much for your kind comment! It means so much to us that you guys are so kind during his deployment!

YES the BC is so amazing!

Haha I have no shame when it comes to what I photograph at Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr_angel View Post
Just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you and John. *big hugs*

My DH and I are living reading your TR together!
and don't apologize for not updating!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thank you so much! That means a lot! I'm getting ready to update, I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittercat View Post
We will keep you and your husband in our thoughts. Love your trip report your fun loving personality really shines through! We're staying at BC for the 1st time ever and your review of it so far has made me super excited! Super eager to read the rest of your report!
Thank you so much! Your comment is so sweet, and it means a lot to me! I'm really glad you're enjoying my report. You are going to LOVE the BC! I'm so excited you get to stay there!
therussells08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #392
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Hi everyone! I know it’s been awhile since my last update, and I’m so sorry for leaving you all hanging! After several postponements, John left for his deployment on September 10th, so I have spent the last nine days trying to adjust to life without him. It’s been really hard, and I’ve been completely burying myself in work to keep busy. I’d be lying if I said that I haven’t had time for the DIS, but honestly I’ve just gotten over that little depression hump that always sets in after he leaves. I’m feeling a lot better now, and all of your amazing comments helped SO MUCH. Seriously, I cannot tell you all how much it means to me that I have so many caring, wonderful, thoughtful friends. You guys are seriously awesome, and you all mean so much to me. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being there for me. Really, thank you.

Also, to all of my DIS friends whose TRs I follow, I am deeply sorry that I've fallen so far behind, and I promise I will be gradually catching up for the rest of the week! I've got a lot of reading to do, but I can't wait to hear all about your trips!

In other news, I made my ADRs for our March sisters only trip! We only made two, because my sister really wants to eat at a lot of the CS places, but they are... *drumroll*...

‘Ohana, and....

BE OUR GUEST! We got an ADR! I’m so excited, and I promise when I eat there I will take a billion pictures for my next TR!

Okay that’s about it for life updates for now, so let’s get to that TR update (FINALLY!)

"Erik the Awful"- Ray Stevens

July 8, 2012

Way back in history along the Nordic coast
that was the sound all the people feared the most
It would echo thru the night up and down the foggy fj-ord
It was Erik and the bloodthirsty Horde!

When I left off, John and I were getting ready to go on our first ride of the trip: Spaceship Earth! John really really likes this ride. I like it a lot too, but it kind of creeps me out. However, I love it because it gives me the perfect opportunity to ruin a picture. I don’t know if you all know this about me, but I am an avid photobomber. Making obnoxious faces in pictures is a hobby of mine that I take pretty seriously. If you don’t believe me, I’d be happy to supply a copy of the yearbook from the school where I work. I’m not even kidding, I’m in like half of those pictures.

So, here is the product of me knowing I had a camera trained on my face:

I have absolutely no recognition of what our little futuristic life was like, and I took zero notes on it in my TR journal, so I thought I’d improvise.

Sooo...John and I will go for a ride in our cool space car. And we’ll both have really skinny legs.

And apparently that car will steer itself, hence the reason that neither of us are looking at the road.

Then we will visit some dome like structure in outer space that we’ll be attached to through really long tubes. I’m assuming when we’re done floating around the black abyss they just pull us back in like a fishing line.

So, that’s pretty much it for our future selves. Not too exciting. At the end of the ride we went through that part with all the lights that always reminds John of the Matrix, and then we exited our ride vehicle.

I was pretty pleased with myself and my crazy face picture, until I realized that they project those pictures for EVERYONE to see at the end of the ride. Then I was super embarrassed.

JUST KIDDING. I thought it was hilarious! I noticed several people pointing to my picture and laughing. Mission accomplished!

After our first ride of the trip we were both feeling pretty hot and thirsty. Rather than be decent citizens and purchase a beverage, we decided to take the redneck route and go get some free refreshment!

Yum! My favorite is the watermelon soda from China, so I had about three cups of that. John went with the Ginger Ale from Mozambique, and then a Beverly because he’s weird.

(Sidenote: Later on in this TR during the mother/daughter portion of my trip I trick my mom into drinking the Beverly. Unfortunately she was washing down medicine at the time. Stay tuned for THAT!)

After we finished our free drinks it was almost eleven o clock, so we decided to head back to the WS and beat some of the crowds!

It was such a beautiful day!

John really really wanted to ride the Maelstrom as soon as it opened. I don’t know why he was so eager, but he was adamant about it, so we headed straight to Norway!

There were people lining up waiting for it to open (???) but as soon as we walked up they opened the doors and we walked right on!

John loves Norway, so after we got off the ride (and ran through the room with the video, while shamefully avoiding the bitter CM’s accusing gaze) we spent a little time in the gift shop. I liked the viking Donald!

John loved the kids’ viking hat. He’s so freaking cute!

So if you remember my ranting from my last TR, I can’t stand the Stave Church in Norway. It is SO BORING, plus it smells funny and the wax vikings freak me out. John, however, loves that place, so he dragged me in there again. Breaking news: it was just as boring and smelly as it was six months before. Just in case you were wondering. Here’s me, not very happy, hanging out with Erik the Awful. (By the way...sorry for the silly song choice this time around, but I love me some Ray Stevens. Plus, how many songs are there about vikings? Not many.)

I kept my whining to a minimum, so John rewarded me when we left with a stop at Kringla Bakeri og Kafe for a late morning snack! SCORE!

John went with a troll horn, while I chose my new obsession (thanks to Kristen)- SCHOOLBREAD! We each also got a water!

You know what this means...it’s time for one of my infamous dining reviews!

Service: The only service we had was inside when we ordered and paid for our food, but all the CMs were nice and adorably Norwegian, so it was pleasant.

Atmosphere: The atmosphere was great! We ate at the outdoor dining area for the bakery, and since it was still early it was nice and cool, and not crowded at all! As a matter of fact, our only company was this hungry duck!

Food Quality: John loved his troll horn, and my schoolbread...well, it’s schoolbread. So it was fantastic, of course!

(That’s a deerface! I dedicate that to all you frumps out there!)

Overall Dining Experience: It was wonderful! I was so happy to be eating Disney food, especially since I knew it was just the beginning of my vacation and I had SO much more delicious food ahead of me!

So, this snack stop receives the following rating:

Category 1- Remy

It just doesn’t get any better than an early morning snack in the World Showcase!

Up Next: More adventures around the world, and John runs into a fellow warrior! Stay tuned!

Last edited by therussells08; 09-19-2012 at 07:36 PM.
therussells08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #393
beachmama3
Mouseketeer

Cracking up at your Spaceship Earth pics!!! Too funny! My middle son made us pose on Splash Mountain every time we rode it, I love crazy pics!

My husband and I picked the same exact snacks at Norway as you guys did! Delish. I also heart Maelstrom. We walked through the church for the first time this year...I don't think I would have even known it was there if not for a few TRs I read here!

I will be praying for you and your husband these next months! Hoping the time goes quickly...
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #394
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you're getting over the sadness of John leaving. I'm praying that you two stay strong and I'm sure you will.

Oh those Spaceship Earth pictures..... I got a good laugh out of those. My mom looked at me like...huh? :P

The Stave Church is horrible. I agree with you. It's boredom personified.

Ahh, schoolbread. That is all.

Can't wait to hear about you tricking your mom into drinking the Beverly..boy, is that gonna be a story.

Great update!

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #395
deedee2177
Disney Darling

Loved the latest update!! So cool you live in Clemmons...I know exactly where that is.

April 2014 PTR - Trip with the Grandmas http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3164112
April 2014 TR - Different type of trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post51308062
deedee2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #396
flyergrad09
Future Monorail Driver

Every time I go on Spaceship Earth, I always seem to get the exact same adventure, even if I intentionally try to pick different choices, and yes, it's always the same one that you guys got!

Wait, does John like the Beverly?!? I've never heard of anyone liking it, even Italians! I tricked my DBF into trying it on our last trip, and it was a priceless moment, so I can't wait to hear how things go with your mom!

Mmmm... school bread! If you were a duck, wouldn't you want to hang out where you might be able to snag a few school bread crumbs?

Follow me on Twitter! @flyergrad09 • Follow me on Instagram! @flyergrad09

I've been a Disney girl my entire life!
May 1987 - Offsite • November 1990 - Offsite • June 1998 - OKW • December 2001/January 2002 - Offsite • December 2003/January 2004 - Offsite • December 2007/January 2008 - Offsite • December 2009 - Offsite • July 2010 - DISNEYLAND! • December 2010 - Offsite • December 2011 - ASMu • May 2012 - ASMu
flyergrad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #397
kateface517
Earning My Ears

Note to self... Do not read your updates after going for a run. I was already hungry, but that school bread is about to motivate me to run all the way to Epcot.
kateface517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #398
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

YAY! Glad you're back. Good to see you updating again. Thinking about you while John is away.. a from Wisconsin!

I think I'll break down and try school bread this time....

OUR JANUARY 2015 PTR!

@quirkyinwi (Twitter) @sunnysideup3 (Instagram)

November 2001: WDW- Offsite/ December 2009: WDW- Offsite/ December 2011: WDW-POR
December 2012: WDW-POR/ Jan 2014: Disney Wonder (5 day Western Caribbean)/Jan 2015: WDW-POR
sunnysideup3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #399
amandaw
DIS Veteran

So glad to have you back updating! I hope the deployment goes by quickly so y'all can be reunited!

Sounds like y'all were off to a good start in EPCOT. Love the Spaceship Earth picture!

I don't know why but I love Maelstrom. That schoolbread looks very yummy. Might have to try that soon!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #400
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Welcome back Joni! Distract yourself with the DIS and planning your March trip and John will be home before you know it.

I love that John wanted to ride the Maelstrom as soon as it opened. It's because it's the best ride ever. He knows what's up.

YAY a snack at Kringla! The best kind of snack, really. Your deer face is priceless, and now I really want school bread. YUMMMM!

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #401
monica23535
DIS Veteran

Hi Joni, I love your Spaceship Earth pics lol

How yummy does that schoolbread look? I think we'll be visiting Norway after lol

Does John actually like the taste of Beverly? Lol
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

monica23535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #402
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

LOVE your Spaceship Earth photo.

My grandmother loved Ray Stevens so my brother and I heard his songs a lot as kids. I think my brother knew every word of every song. I'm sure he would know your viking song, but I don't remember that one. But, you are right, I don't think you had many to choose from.

Me DH DD DS
MagicShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #403
deedee2177
Disney Darling

Ok, so can tell me what school bread is? It looks delicious and might have to be added to my list!!

April 2014 PTR - Trip with the Grandmas http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3164112
April 2014 TR - Different type of trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post51308062
deedee2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #404
MaggieBailey
Mouseketeer

Many thanks to your DH too, for his service . Prayers are coming your way! If you get bored, feel free to wander down (over? I'm not so good with directions ) to Fayetteville! Our furbabies can have a playdate . Love that John is a Norway lover - Dylan is, too. We spend much time there while in Epcot! And schoolbread? Mmmmmm....
MaggieBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #405
TexasBelle
Mouseketeer

Just doing a little Happy Dance Here!!!
So excited to see a new post from you!!!
Thank you, Thank you!!!
I think everyday I look to see if you've posted!!! Obviously not everyday... Your post is a few days old.
I'm so glad you had a few extra days with John... What a wonderful surprise for you!!!
You guys are always in my prayers...
Love the pictures... Everytime I've been on Spaceship Earth it has stopped on us and we have sat and sat in the cars for a long period of time... So when we get off we usually just leave... We don't even take a few minutes to check out the pictures and other cool stuff. We'll need to next time...
John's pictures are so funny..
Isn't it funny how for me, I've been to Disney lots of times, not a ton but lots and I've never tried schoolbread or anything else from Kringla Bakerki og Cafe... I'll have to try it next time
Looking forward to more updates...
Oh by the way... Ray Steven's song is hilarious...
TexasBelle
Carolyn

July 2006 - Once in a Lifetime - Surprise Trip - DH-42, DS#1-17, DS#2 - 15, DD - 12, Me - 43, BeachClub
September 2007 - DH-43, & Me - 44, BoardWalk - DW & DH take on the World, without kids... YEA!
September 2008 - DH - 44, DS#2 - 17, DD - 14, Me - 45, BFDH - ?, BF - ? & BFDS - 5, YachtClub... Taking our BF's To DisneyWorld
November 2009 - 1 Day, 4 Parks - DS#1 - 21 XH - 47, & Me - 46
January 2010 - DH - 46, DS#1 - 21 & ME - 46, Wilderness Lodge - Moving DS#1 to Golf School in Orlando
April 2011 - DS#1 - 22, DD - 16, XH - 48, XH's parents - Graduation of DS#1 - 1 day at DW
March 2012 - DD - 17, DDBF - 18 & Me - 49, Rosen Shingle Creek Resort & Spa - The 3 Cabellero-etts take a road trip, House Hunt and DW all during SB.
PreTrip Report - Moving the Princess to Disneyworld - Disney College Program. .
May 16 - 23, 2013 - DD - 19, XH - 51 & ME - 50, Off property -Embassy Suites - Disney College Program. Moving our Princess to DW to follow her Dream!
September 11 - 18, 2013 - DH - 49, ME - 50, DD - DCP - CM - Rae - 19, BeachClub.
November 4 - 10, 2014 - DH - 51 & Me - 51, - Hanging with Campbellscot's, - YachtClub
TexasBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: