Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #151
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Taking Care of Business- Bachman Turner Overdrive

Hi everyone! Before I started this update I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much to all my amazing readers. All of your kind comments and feedback mean the world to me, and I’m so happy to be writing this TR for you! While I wish I could sit around and write it all day, I had to go back to work today, so my updates might be a little sporadic while I readjust to my work schedule. Bear with me; I promise I’ll update as much as possible!

July 7, 2012

And I'll be...
Taking care of business, every day
Taking care of business, every way

You would think that the first thing we did after driving into Disney World would be something thrilling and adventurous, but alas. We had some serious business to take care of.

Does that give you any clue where we were headed?

We were on our way to Shades of Green to get our park tickets! We had a lot of tickets to buy, since we needed to get two sets of the 4 day park hopper passes for John, one for my mom for when she came down, and an ANNUAL PASS for me.

If you read my PTR posts from my last report, you may remember that this was my FIRST TIME EVER getting an annual pass. I was so excited, and I seriously felt like I was joining some kind of secret society. That reminds me of that old show that used to come on Nickelodeon, “Are You Afraid of the Dark?”. Do you guys remember that? “Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society...” Anyway,

I’m always so impressed by Shades of Green. It’s really a beautiful resort!

I was enjoying walking up that beautiful path, until I looked down and saw a giant demon grasshopper from Hades about an inch from my foot. After that I was in a bit more of a hurry.

As we were walking into the resort I saw a wedding going on, and I got super excited!

Yeah, I stalked that bride. Don’t judge me. Just wait, it gets worse.

Here’s the fountain they were standing in front of. So pretty!

We made our way over to the ticket desk, and while John talked to the woman behind the counter I admired all the pretty statues they have.

THANK YOU for military discounts, Disney!

I think overall we ended up spending $975 on park tickets. That sounds outrageous, but you have to think, John got eight days worth of tickets, my mom got four (both with park hopper), and I got an ANNUAL PASS. So really, that's a pretty darn good deal.

Well, actually, I got an AP voucher that I had to exchange for the real thing, but still, I was really excited.

We were on our way out of SoG with our tickets in hand, until we realized that the lady who sold us the tickets didn’t give John his change! Granted, it was only $5, but still. That’s like a dole whip right there. So naturally we had to go back and get it!

On the way back we saw the wedding party headed back into the resort! Naturally I respectfully stayed back and gave them their space.

JUST KIDDING. I stalked them again.

Haha, ah well. Maybe everyone thought that I was a part of the wedding party, with my lime green Disney shirt and back pack. No? Well, that’s okay.

Luckily we had no trouble getting our change, and soon we were leaving SoG and heading to our next destination! On the way we saw our first monorail of the trip!

So, any guesses on where we were headed now?

We still had some more “Disney errands” to run, so we were on our way to Downtown Disney! Unfortunately John had a brain fart, and drove right past the entrance, so we had to make an awkward (and I’m pretty sure illegal) U-turn. Soon, though, we were crawling through the DTD parking lot searching for a spot!

Finally, after lots of creepy car-stalking, we managed to nab a spot near the Pleasure Island entrance!

I desperately wanted to go in some of the shops and more importantly to EAT, but we still had some business to take care of, so it was off to Guest Relations!

I did, however, get sidetracked by these lovely folks.

And I was terribly tempted by this enticing sight.

After a lot of distractions, we finally made it to Guest Relations! We were helped by a really nice CM named Scott. He was from Pittsburgh (where my extended family lives) so we chatted about our shared love of the Steelers and Penguins. Then we got down to business, and Scott issued me my actual Annual Pass!! YIPPEEEEE!

If you can’t tell, I GOT PLUTO. Which is pretty much perfect, because he’s my favorite! It’s meant to be.

I was super excited to have my AP, but we weren’t finished with Scott just yet! Before we left we also bought the Tables in Wonderland card! Since I was now officially an AP holder, we were able to get the card for $75!

After all that, we were finished with all of the business at hand, so it was time to EAT. THANK YOU, LORD.

Any guesses where we went?

Up Next: Our first Disney meal...FINALLY! Stay tuned!
therussells08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #152
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBelle View Post
Hey Joni!!!
I'm loving your trip report... Thank you for writing it and making it so much fun to read... All day long I'm checking my email to see if you have posted a new update...
I have a question, Beach club is my favorite resort... and I've stayed there 3 times... I've also stayed at Wilderness Lodge, all of them are Deluxes...
So, We have decided to go to Disney for my 50th Birthday... But we're going on a budget... and are thinking about staying at Port Orleans - French Quarters... You've now stayed at both. So, my questions are... What do you think??? Will I like it??? Will I be disappointed because I can't walk down the halls to the lobby or walk to Epcot and DHS??? It will be Jan... I'm afraid I will be so cold... Should I try to come up with the extra money and splurge for Beach Club or will I love French Quarters???
TexasBelle
Carolyn
Thank you so much for reading my TR and for all of your sweet comments! I'm really glad you enjoy it!

YAY! That's so exciting that you get to go for your birthday! How wonderful!

Honestly, as much as I love BC (and I love it A LOT), I also really love POFQ! I've stayed there twice now, once on my Disneymoon and now with my mom, and it's by far my favorite of the moderates! I really think that you would be perfectly happy there! It's a gorgeous resort, and I don't think it really "feels" like a mod.

Of course the one downside is not being able to walk to Epcot. We enjoyed walking to Epcot SO MUCH when we stayed at BC. But other than that, I really think you can have a magical time at POFQ! I hope that helped!
therussells08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #153
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Thanks for the little sneak peaks of Shades of Green. I have never been to the resort (and who knows if I will ever go there because I have no affiliation with anyone in the military!) so it was cool to see!

I would have totally stalked that bride too

HOLY COW $975 for all of that!? LUCKY LUCKY that's seriously a fantastic deal. WOW!

PLUTO PLUTO PLUTO! He's my favorite too! I'm so glad you understand

Downtown Disney.... Food.... hmmm I can't WAIT for the next update!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #154
TexasBelle
Mouseketeer

What is Tables of Wonderland Cards???

I did a little research.. and found it...

TABLES IN WONDERLAND is a dining discount program for eligible Florida Residents, Disney Vacation Club members and Annual Passholders 21 and older, good for 20 percent off food and beverage at a number of Walt Disney World Resort hotel and theme park restaurants and lounges. The discount is good for up to 10 guests in your party. Thank you ALLEARS.NET

That's a great deal...

TexasBelle
Carolyn

July 2006 - Once in a Lifetime - Surprise Trip - DH-42, DS#1-17, DS#2 - 15, DD - 12, Me - 43, BeachClub
September 2007 - DH-43, & Me - 44, BoardWalk - DW & DH take on the World, without kids... YEA!
September 2008 - DH - 44, DS#2 - 17, DD - 14, Me - 45, BFDH - ?, BF - ? & BFDS - 5, YachtClub... Taking our BF's To DisneyWorld
November 2009 - 1 Day, 4 Parks - DS#1 - 21 XH - 47, & Me - 46
January 2010 - DH - 46, DS#1 - 21 & ME - 46, Wilderness Lodge - Moving DS#1 to Golf School in Orlando
April 2011 - DS#1 - 22, DD - 16, XH - 48, XH's parents - Graduation of DS#1 - 1 day at DW
March 2012 - DD - 17, DDBF - 18 & Me - 49, Rosen Shingle Creek Resort & Spa - The 3 Cabellero-etts take a road trip, House Hunt and DW all during SB.
PreTrip Report - Moving the Princess to Disneyworld - Disney College Program. .
May 16 - 23, 2013 - DD - 19, XH - 51 & ME - 50, Off property -Embassy Suites - Disney College Program. Moving our Princess to DW to follow her Dream!
September 11 - 18, 2013 - DH - 49, ME - 50, DD - DCP - CM - Rae - 19, BeachClub.
November 4 - 10, 2014 - DH - 51 & Me - 51, - Hanging with Campbellscot's, - YachtClub

Last edited by TexasBelle; 08-01-2012 at 10:58 AM.
TexasBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #155
disneylover04
Disney Vacation Planner

I've been keeping up with your trip report ever since you started. It just keeps building up my anticipation. We are leaving for our vacation in 31 days and we are so excited!! We have started a tradition of going to Downtown Disney first. We usually have dinner at T-Rex. After reading so many trip reports though, I really want to try Earl of Sandwich. So I've included it in our itinerary. I would love to get an annual pass but I'm not sure I would use it enough.

disneylover04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #156
amandaw
DIS Veteran

That's so awesome that you got to get an AP! I dream of owning one of those one day. And I think that's a great price y'all paid for all of those tickets!

And Yay! for getting a TiW card, too!

Can't wait to hear where the 1st meal was!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #157
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Ahh I know just where that fountain is! What a beautiful place to get married! I totally would have stalked her too. In fact, when Allie and I were at the Boardwalk, a bridal party there was having photos taken in the lobby and we totally stalked them. It was fabulous.

YAY military tickets! Those things are beautiful. Me gusta.

I totally would have detoured into World of Disney and someone would have had to forcibly remove me. Props to your self-control!

I totally know where you ate. Tehehe. I can't wait to hear ALL about it though! Hope you had a great first day back at work!

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #158
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?

Shades of Green does look very pretty. My uncle and aunt, who have a house about a few hours away from Disney, stayed there for a weekend and loved it. It must be much better to see in person. LOL @ your little bride-stalking endeavor. WOOT to your AP too (with such a great deal )! I guess this was mean to happen someday and I like your little "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" reference. I was always into Goosebumps at that age, not sure if I saw AYATD, but I watched a few episodes and I think it's awesome. They don't make shows like that everyday anymore.

Sorry to hear about your little parking trouble. I can see how complicated it may be getting parking in DTD. When I was there as an Honorary Cast Member for the day, thank you very much, even our CM bus driver had trouble maneuvering us to the right spot. But you got in! Huge props to being able to bypass the entertainment and World of Disney aka the store of gods. So cool you got a PLUTO AP! If that ever happened to me, I would have a little conniption. Though, thinking about it, probably would get Donald if that ever happened And to the Tables in Wonderland card, it seems that is the way to go now, may have to check it out one day. My guess is you will use it first at... Wolfgang Puck and I'm going out on a limb with that one (my gut keeps saying EoS, but we'll see).

Wow, I can't believe you are already starting school already. I have basically a whole month ahead of me. We'll hope all this goes smoothly since I have AP work. I really am regretting not taking a second English class now, I'd rather write a long essay on something then read and take notes from a non-fictional chapter book and text book, BLEH! Anyways, hope you get to be on the DIS as much as you can so we won't have to wait too long for the next TR installment!
PlutosRHM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #159
princessmef14
Earning My Ears

It's so funny you followed the wedding party...I've done the same thing before!

Ahh getting an annual pass! That is my dream to one day spend enough days in Disney to get a pass. So cute that you got Pluto!

Can't wait to see where you end up eating! I'm going to take a guess and say Wolfgang Puck Express?

No trips planned

Grand Floridian '03, Saratoga Springs '06, '08, '10, Boardwalk '11
princessmef14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #160
mommys3
Disney Or Bust

SOG is such a beautiful resort. We've never stayed there but have been there to purchase tickets as well. I hope to renew our wedding vows there one day...just have to convince the hubby Too funny about stalking the wedding party And yay for getting an AP

All-Star Music/Movies~8/03**Coronado Springs~10/04**Animal Kingdom Lodge~1/05**Pop Century~3/06**All-Star Sports~10/06**Pop Century~3/07**Wyndham Bonnet Creek~12/08*All-Star Movies/Polynesian~8/12**Port Orleans French Quarter~5/13**Pop Century/Polynesian~7/13**NEXT: Port Orleans Riverside/Grand Floridian~8/14
mommys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #161
DisneyGator13
Earning My Ears

I'm usually a lurker who just reads random TRs but yours are SO good and enjoyable that I actually created a DIS account just to comment and tell you (well, and possibly to do a PTR and TR for my upcoming trip but still)!

It looks like the trip is off to a great start!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #162
DonnaLeah
Enjoys a refreshing margarita with popcorn

Hi! Just thought I would jump in and tell you how much I am enjoying your trip report! Can't wait for the next update!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #163
TexasBelle
Mouseketeer

Morning!!!
Sometimes I am so blonde...
But I just realized that at the top of your updates, you have the song underlined,
which means that if I put my curser on the song title and click on it: the song plays for me... or for us...

THAT'S BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

I love that I can hear the song that you've connected to your update!!!! That just good!!!! Way to go!!!

Have a great day!
TexasBelle
Carolyn

July 2006 - Once in a Lifetime - Surprise Trip - DH-42, DS#1-17, DS#2 - 15, DD - 12, Me - 43, BeachClub
September 2007 - DH-43, & Me - 44, BoardWalk - DW & DH take on the World, without kids... YEA!
September 2008 - DH - 44, DS#2 - 17, DD - 14, Me - 45, BFDH - ?, BF - ? & BFDS - 5, YachtClub... Taking our BF's To DisneyWorld
November 2009 - 1 Day, 4 Parks - DS#1 - 21 XH - 47, & Me - 46
January 2010 - DH - 46, DS#1 - 21 & ME - 46, Wilderness Lodge - Moving DS#1 to Golf School in Orlando
April 2011 - DS#1 - 22, DD - 16, XH - 48, XH's parents - Graduation of DS#1 - 1 day at DW
March 2012 - DD - 17, DDBF - 18 & Me - 49, Rosen Shingle Creek Resort & Spa - The 3 Cabellero-etts take a road trip, House Hunt and DW all during SB.
PreTrip Report - Moving the Princess to Disneyworld - Disney College Program. .
May 16 - 23, 2013 - DD - 19, XH - 51 & ME - 50, Off property -Embassy Suites - Disney College Program. Moving our Princess to DW to follow her Dream!
September 11 - 18, 2013 - DH - 49, ME - 50, DD - DCP - CM - Rae - 19, BeachClub.
November 4 - 10, 2014 - DH - 51 & Me - 51, - Hanging with Campbellscot's, - YachtClub
TexasBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #164
mkoerner
DIS Veteran

I love reading your trip reports! Makes me laugh out loud. I wish I could figure out how to do one myself. I could so be entertaining considering the relatives I travel with could join the circus at any moment Sorry you had to go back to work already. I teach 6th, 7th, & 8th grade literacy and here in the northeast, we don't go back till after Labor Day. Hope you have a smooth and stress free school year!
1976-treehouse villa/july 1995-off property/dec 1998-dixie landings/2001-off property/feb 2003 FW/2005 POR/2006-ASMo/aug 2006-Swan/2008-POR/jan 2009 WL/aug 2009-cbr/aug 2010-CR/ Aug 2011- VWL,BLT/ Dec 2011- SSR/March 2012-POR/ Aug 2012- OKW/ March 2013-POR/ Aug 2013- Aulani/ Aug 2013-POFQ/ Aug 2014- FWCampground/ Dec 2014- SSR
mkoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #165
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

That really is a great price for all the tickets that you guys got! I love that Disney has a military discount! Thanks to your DH for his service!

Now enough with the chores! Get to the Disney fun!
Curiouser&curiouser! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: