Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
disneyxperts
Formerly "OH 6" on the Dis

Having done 2 Med cruises - 1 on DCL and one on Princess:

We really enjoyed Turkey on the Princess cruise - never would have thought we would but the history and experience is amazing.

We also really enjoyed Greece too. But, having seen them we opted for Venice/Croatia. Croatia is a place we've wanted to see now for a while...plus we love Venice. Been there several times over the years.

We recommended Greece/Turkey to all our friends that have not done a Med cruise, because it's such an eye opening/different experience. To us that itinerary is great and we're not surprised it's as popular as it is.

I do think that as we get closer the bookings will lighten up on the 2nd of each of those itineraries. The 1st of anything tends to be a draw for those that have to be on the inaugurals.

disneyxperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyxperts View Post

I do think that as we get closer the bookings will lighten up on the 2nd of each of those itineraries. The 1st of anything tends to be a draw for those that have to be on the inaugurals.
Interesting perspective.... I was thinking the opposite - the June 12-nights might be lighter because kids would still be in school...although your thought makes a lot of sense too.
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
princesskayla
***This space reserved for a tag***

We are booked for the Venice cruise - but I regret to say that we will most likely give it up to go on another line. DCL is much too expensive to justify the cost - especially with other cruise line having very similar ports. The main objective is for us to see Croatia. My husband went while he was with the Marines and raves about how I must go see it. I love Disney and my goal is to experience everything Disney has to offer - but I might have to enjoy the Magic out of Texas and explore the Med on another cruise line. We could have extra money for port adventures - that would be important.

First 1/2 Marathon-Disneyland-Sept 2013*Pixar 7 day cruise - Oct 2012*Dream Double Dip - May 2012*24 Hours,4 Parks - Leap Year 2012 -WDW*DL -HoJo: Dec 2011*First Disney Cruise and First Family trip to Disney Land: Nov 2011*Solo trip to DL: Oct 2011*Last trip before the Wild Fontier, Bonnet Creek: May 2011 * Bonnet Creek - Nov 2010 * AKL/WL CL - Sept 2010 * Christmas Present for the family at Bonnet Creek - Dec 14-18, 2009 * Last Minute trip to Bonnet Creek - May 2009 * Suprise trip for Mom's 50th B-Day - Oct 2008 KOTS * WL with Free Dining - Sept 2008 * AWHONN convention + DISNEYLAND - June 2008 * ASMo and WL with Free Dining - Sept 2007 - The beginning of the obsession
princesskayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyxperts View Post

. . . We really enjoyed Turkey on the Princess cruise - never would have thought we would but the history and experience is amazing.
Which ports in Turkey did you visit?

Woody
woody73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #20
MJ6987
DIS Veteran

Being from the UK, it always amazes me how much Americans want to visit Greece because in the UK Greece is regarded as sort of a "downmarket" holiday (vacation) destination as compared with places like Florida or Italy.

I wonder why this is?
MJ6987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
lark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6987 View Post
Being from the UK, it always amazes me how much Americans want to visit Greece because in the UK Greece is regarded as sort of a "downmarket" holiday (vacation) destination as compared with places like Florida or Italy.

I wonder why this is?
I think possibly because if you live in the EU, you have likely travelled extensively throughout Europe. From the US, many have done a highlights of Western Europe trip or series of trips. If coming that distance for two weeks, many of us have done the Big-Ben to the Louvre to Amsterdam to the Prado to Sagrada Familia to the Colliseum to the Duomo blitz. It's an especially popular thing to do after university, and tends to be railpass driven.

For many, it leaves places like Scandanavia, Greece, St. Petersburg, etc. as want to do destinations. I think it is the same for USA citizens travelling domestically. Other than Disney World, when I vacation in the USA, I rarely am in places with large numbers of EU visitors. I have been to Washington DC, Grand Canyon, etc. and don't need to go again. I view the places that attract Europeans on holiday as been-there done-that touristy spots.

I think it is all about access and proximity.
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #22
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

We did not have to make a choice. We sailed an amazing Eastern Med and Greek island itinerary that began in Civitvecchia and ended with an overnight in Venice on the Celebrity Silhouette in June. The ship and service were great and the ports were fabulous. We originally booked a Family Oceanview Cabin that held our family of 5 more than a year out. By the time we cruised with price drops, we ended up in two connecting Concierge Class verandah cabins for less than our original single cabin. Our price wasn't anywhere near what DCL's rates are. The savings was used for some awesome private drivers and tour guides.

As our children get older itinerary is becoming more important to us. Our kids enjoyed their cruise on Celebrity as much as any of our DCL cruises.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #23
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC
We did not have to make a choice. We sailed an amazing Eastern Med and Greek island itinerary that began in Civitvecchia and ended with an overnight in Venice on the Celebrity Silhouette in June. The ship and service were great and the ports were fabulous. We originally booked a Family Oceanview Cabin that held our family of 5 more than a year out. By the time we cruised with price drops, we ended up in two connecting Concierge Class verandah cabins for less than our original single cabin. Our price wasn't anywhere near what DCL's rates are. The savings was used for some awesome private drivers and tour guides.

As our children get older itinerary is becoming more important to us. Our kids enjoyed their cruise on Celebrity as much as any of our DCL cruises.
Wow! What cruiseline was this???
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
kaseyC

DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Wow! What cruiseline was this???
It was Celebrity. The Silhouette is one of their newest ships. Gorgeous ship.
This was our itinerary:

Tue, Jun 12 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
Wed, Jun 13 Naples/Capri, Italy Docked
Thu, Jun 14 Catania,Sicily,Italy Docked
Fri, Jun 15 At Sea
Sat, Jun 16 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Docked
Sun, Jun 17 Mykonos, Greece Tendered
Mon, Jun 18 Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey Docked
Tue, Jun 19 Rhodes, Greece Docked
Wed, Jun 20 Santorini, Greece Tendered
Thu, Jun 21 Chania (Souda),Crete, Greece Docked
Fri, Jun 22 At Sea
Sat, Jun 23 Venice, Italy Docked
Sun, Jun 24 Venice, Italy
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
lark
DIS Veteran

I'm looking at Celebrity too, but a bit concerned about the activities for tweens -- it looks as though they group everyone from age 12 to 17 together, which just won't work for us.

The "Edge" concept is kind of a dealmaker for us -- a drop in tween hangout that doesn't insist you participate in face painting or bracelet making every hour but also doesn't group you together with older teens. Of all the ages to group, 12-17 seems most inappropriate to me. There is a pretty material difference between a 12 year old who is obsessed with wii and a 16 year old who is obsessed with the opposite sex.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #26
grahamgallagher
Mouseketeer

Hi, I'm from the UK and I can confirm that Greece is more expensive to fund their repayments to the other EU countries who have bailed them out and their main income is tourism, so hence why they are more costly. IMO.

We had a fantastic holiday in Halkidiki, Greece some years ago - the people and country is beautiful but for us to go back to the same hotel, it is cheaper for us to fly to Florida for 3 weeks!

G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6987 View Post

I wonder why this is?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #27
kaseyC

DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
I'm looking at Celebrity too, but a bit concerned about the activities for tweens -- it looks as though they group everyone from age 12 to 17 together, which just won't work for us.

The "Edge" concept is kind of a dealmaker for us -- a drop in tween hangout that doesn't insist you participate in face painting or bracelet making every hour but also doesn't group you together with older teens. Of all the ages to group, 12-17 seems most inappropriate to me. There is a pretty material difference between a 12 year old who is obsessed with wii and a 16 year old who is obsessed with the opposite sex.
Our DDs are 9, 11 and 16. Our two youngest DDs loved the kid's club especially since it was not nearly as crowded as the clubs on Disney. DD 16 went a few times but really ended up just hanging out with a few kids her age outside of the clubs. Since, the cruise was so port intensive, overall the kid's did not spend that much time in youth programming. We had quite a few nights, where literally it was dinner and then bed to prepare for another full day in port.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
lark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Our DDs are 9, 11 and 16. Our two youngest DDs loved the kid's club especially since it was not nearly as crowded as the clubs on Disney.
Understood. It actually looks like a good cruise line for 9 and 11, but it's 12 I'm worried about -- because that seems to be where they mash you with the 12-17 year olds.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #29
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Ugh, I surfed around other sites and NCL has a 14 day out of Venice that stops twice in Croatia and does several Greek ports and 1 Turkey port. There's also a 12 day from Venice over to Barcelona that stops at a few Greek ports and then does Naples/Rome/Florence.

We are currently on the B2B but when I compare prices for our group of 3 with both itenaries, it would be half the cost of our DCL in comparable rooms plus I'd see more of Greece which I want. So torn. I live the Magic and it feels like home and my son LOVES it, but this is serious money.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #30
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark

Disney Magic 12-day with Greece July 13, 2013: $11310 OV, $18224 Balcony.
We booked for a lot less than $18,000 for the exact date, family of 4, veranda. When did you price that amount?
I've looked recently and the cabins left are expensive :0
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: