Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

i havent used hojo in while but the non canclebule thing made me stop useing them, these other things are just downers now but hay ill check others first before hojos from now on tho this oct is last one for while
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
NVDisMom
I love to read aloud
First rule: NEVER take DH and kids grocery shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneegrl4eva View Post
plus, I know that hojo reps belong to this message board and could easily put in something that they are adding dates because frankly I feel the majority of the people they have gotten to get them to where they are are from this board and then word of mouth from them to other people..
My thoughts exactly. What are they going to do when so many of us from this board a)stop booking rooms b)no longer recommend it here or to our friends and family and c)honestly evaluate it at full rack rates? I have taken many trips with friends and family and stayed there in multiple rooms (and always at a discount). Without the discount the property isn't worth it IMO. I'll stay at CCI where I get breakfast and a shuttle for $40 less a night. Or at Anaheim Plaza for the same rate as HOJO's previous retro rates. Or directly across the street at one of the suitable motels there. The only thing they have going for them now that they are primarily a rack rate property is their indoor corridors.

I don't begrudge HOJO for their decision. Its a business decision, albeit one that I believe will back fire once occupancy rates settle down after the Carsland grand opening chills out. I think THAT is when we start seeing emails in our inboxes begging us to come stay at the lower rates. But by then I will have probably spammed them and have found a new go to place.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaMom View Post
For our family it is a MUCH nicer experience than other motels on Harbor (we have stayed at PVI and Desert Inn & Suites and were really disappointed).
hey I would love hojo too after staying at PVI and DI&S...but Im not talking about places that..FFI, BWPPI, CCI, Hilton, Sheraton, Red Lion, all these places are very compatible pricewise with Hojo and offer A LOT more than hojo does...in fact, most of them offer better things and frankly I think even with the 20% discount, the rates for BWPPI are way better, its closer than hojo and the amenities are better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDisMom View Post
I don't begrudge HOJO for their decision. Its a business decision, albeit one that I believe will back fire once occupancy rates settle down after the Carsland grand opening chills out. I think THAT is when we start seeing emails in our inboxes begging us to come stay at the lower rates. But by then I will have probably spammed them and have found a new go to place.
Exactly!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
kkmcan
Official Mouse Fan

We love hojos and have used the retro rate so many times! We love the interior hallways, the luxurious beds and bedding, the room size and the fact that it is walkable, albeit a little farther than those other ones on harbor.

We also found it to be super quiet. Never heard our neighbors or outside noises.

Disneyland 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
DCL 4 night Nov. 2006 + WDW Nov. 2006
We got DL AP's!! Trips: 6/08, 10/08, 1/09, 3/09
DL + Trick or Treat Party 10/09
DCL 3 night + WDW Free Dining Dec 16-25 2009 Disneyland 6/2010 Using our GAD Vouchers!
DCL LA 2 day cruise to no where 1/2011
DCL 7 Night Mexican Riviera KSF 3/20/2011
DL AP's Trips:10/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012, 10/2012
WDW, Discovery Cove, Aquatica 05/2013
Aulani Hawaii 03/2014
kkmcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
hojogm
Earning My Ears

UPDATE: Hojo Discounts

Well, we knew there would be a lot of questions about the changes to our discount programs, so here are the facts…

Why change the discount programs?
We realize these discount programs were extremely popular with our Hojo and Disneyland fans. In fact, the discount codes were so popular that they ended up on all sorts of discount pages around the internet. We needed a way to connect directly with our loyal fans, and to reward them with special deals. Our subscription email lists allow us to connect with our fans and offer the right information to the right folks at the right time.

Why do we offer discounts?
Discounts are used for various reasons. Sometimes, we allow deep discounts early to build a small base of business for a day. Other times, it is to fill up the last remaining rooms for a day. Mostly, these deep discounts are viewed as a reward to those who are repeat customers, such as AP holders. Much like a loyalty program with retailers, our new “Super Family” discounts are targeted to Disney Fans who stay with us often. Using our email list allows us to communicate directly to those folks. Registered users can “opt-in” to receive only specific updates (AP holders, last-minute deals, etc), and we will not bombard users with unwanted updates. We are working with the Howard Johnson reservations system to hopefully offer the “Super Family” rate more often, but with a limited number of rooms, on a first-come-first-served basis. So, you can see the email notifications will be the quickest way to get your notifications.

Entertainment Discount
It seemed silly to us to require folks to buy an Entertainment Book (even on EBay) in order to get a discount. We recommend subscribing to our email program to get notified of other discounts. We will now offer the “Super Family” 50% off rate, along with length of stay discounts up to 30% which don’t require a “membership” or Disney AP.

What else is changing at Hojo’s?
We are re-investing in big ways, right now. We are installing 275 37” LED flatscreen televisions for our guest rooms, in addition to HD service with more family programming. We have completed renovations in about half of the 94 Pavilion building rooms (Standard Double rooms) so far. They are receiving new carpet, bright and fresh paint, Mary Blair Small World artwork, and updated lighting and bathrooms. They are actually some of our best looking rooms, now! We’ll post new photos on our blog page soon.

I believe that our product, including great service, premium beds, premium coffee, new larger HD televisions, Castaway Cove and pools, Main St. Market convenience store, new gameroom, Mimi’s Café, etc. is a great value and experience (even at our regular rates) compared to our neighboring hotels, and is a “Super” bargain when you can get it at all at 30%- 50% off!

Jonathan
GM

Last edited by hojogm; 07-25-2012 at 08:18 PM.
hojogm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
CourtFool
A Mouse in Llama Clothing

Thumbs up Thank You

Jonathan, thank you for your post. Hind sight being 20/20, I think this post could have quieted the villagers before they grabbed the pitchforks and torches.

I subscribed and I look forward to seeing what sorts of discounts are offered. Hopefully, we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. Finally, if I may, several people seem to have noted that other area hotels offer complimentary breakfast. I am glad to see all the other improvements you are making. Have you considered offering a breakfast as well?
Disneyland November 1988
CourtFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
nana50
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by limace View Post
I know it's blasphemous to say this, but I've always thought of the Hojo as kinda meh. The pool is great, that's for sure. Other than that, it's a little farther than I'd prefer to walk, the rooms are fine, the service is fine-nothing spectacular. And if you're normally tied to only vacationing on school holidays like we are, the retro rate was never available.
I agree 100%. I never saw why there was so much love for the place. Kind of sad and outdated looking to me.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
hojogm
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtFool View Post
Finally, if I may, several people seem to have noted that other area hotels offer complimentary breakfast. I am glad to see all the other improvements you are making. Have you considered offering a breakfast as well?
We have considered it. We often have over 1000 guests at the hotel, and we don't have any food preparation facilities to accommodate that many folks in a manner consistent with the level of quality and service we expect. We are hoping to add microwaves to all rooms and expand our food options at our Main St. Market to provide more affordable breakfast items that can be prepared conveniently in the guest rooms. We feel that our partner restaurant, Mimi's Cafe, or McDonalds can provide a better breakfast value than we ever could.

Jonathan
hojogm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
DarthMole
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana50 View Post
I agree 100%. I never saw why there was so much love for the place. Kind of sad and outdated looking to me.
There are tradeoffs with any property. Non-DL properties within walking distance all seem to share the sad and outdated look so really comes down to price, distance & amenities. With prices inching up, up, up, it's making HoJo less attractive but it still has a leg up on other walkable properties for their pool areas, ample free parking for all guests (multiple cars per room if necessary), indoor corridors, kids suites, game room, laundry facilities, rooms with firework views and one thing I took advantage of on our last trip which was watching fireworks from the hot tub. Hard to beat a warm soak after a long day while watching the fireworks. On the downside, it's a longer walk than some properties, they do not offer free breakfast, and as mentioned already the prices have been creeping up. Like all the walkable properties, the decor is a bit dated but the place is clean and well kept. If you're looking for fresh and new in a walkable property, you have to open the wallet and stay onsite.
DarthMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
disneegrl4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojogm View Post
I believe that our product, including great service, premium beds, premium coffee, new larger HD televisions, Castaway Cove and pools, Main St. Market convenience store, new gameroom, Mimi’s Café, etc. is a great value and experience (even at our regular rates) compared to our neighboring hotels, and is a “Super” bargain when you can get it at all at 30%- 50% off!

Jonathan
GM
this being the operative words...the problem is I dont think those rates are going to be offered at times when most people could/would be able to go...and although you have increased the product, you have also significantly increased the price so much so that there are many other properties that are just as nice or nicer that are less expensive...but alas, it remains to be seen...so we will watch and see what happens...
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Our subscription email lists allow us to connect with our fans and offer the right information to the right folks at the right time.
You were connecting with fans, or FUTURE fans, by doing what you had been doing. You're now just putting an obstacle in the way of people staying at your place who hadn't thought about it before reading it somewhere.

Have to subscribe vs have to buy an Entertainment book...the E book gets you other things, too!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #27
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

If Hojo can't offer breakfast in house, perhaps they should offer breakfast vouchers to the restuarants who are thier neighbors. It would offer better value to guests and lower cost to provide for Hojo.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #28
disneegrl4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
If Hojo can't offer breakfast in house, perhaps they should offer breakfast vouchers to the restuarants who are thier neighbors. It would offer better value to guests and lower cost to provide for Hojo.
hey thats a good idea...i love mimi's
Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #29
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

even a free mc d's card would work fine. I just know i normaly chose hotels that have free breakfast. I dont think the new prices and stuff make hojos an #! recomandation on these boards at least i wont be so willing to jump up nad say hay try hojos ent rate. It sound like you guys are just trying to charge more. That is going to make a lot of ppl say no to hojos now and find cheaper across the street hotels and if some one wants one cheap no breakfast they have a few across the street that are 59 or so from what ive seen.
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #30
CourtFool
A Mouse in Llama Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeDarkstar View Post
...if some one wants one cheap no breakfast they have a few across the street that are 59 or so from what ive seen.
Can you provide links? Breakfast is not a big issue for me, so $59 across the street sounds like a great deal. I want some of that action.
Disneyland November 1988
CourtFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: