Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #76
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
The 5-day ticket limit has nothing to do with the number of parks involved. It has everything to do with scalping and Southern California families giving their unused days on their passes to neighbors. IMO, Cars Land changed things at DLR from a 3-4 day vacation to a 5-6 day vacation.
ITA w/ all of that. What I don't get is how they can offer special passes and tickets to SoCal (or Florida at WDW) residents based on ZIP codes of residence proven with IDs, and don't just reverse that idea for longer passes? Like, if you can offer SoCal APs, why can't you offer a 7-day pass to people who live further away who can prove they don't live anywhere near there the same way locals prove they do live nearby?
I've heard that there is all this eBay scalping, which I guess anyone could do, but given the 14-day expiration on tickets, I have to believe that most scalping or unauthorized ticket transfers are being done by locals who a) have less need for longer passes because they can go more often, and b) have easier, quicker access to people who can take unused pass days and use them before they expire. As an international guest, I guess I could try hustling on Harbor to sell unused days ::shudder::, but I certainly can't go 2700 miles back home and give/sell passes to neighbors or family who could never get there in time.

Meanwhile, DLR just keeps creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of people not coming for longer stays when the tickets suggest they cannot/should not.

I would love to buy a big 10-day WDW pass and use it at DLR (especially since every travel agent around here specializes in WDW and knows nothing about DLR), but I would be so so afraid of them not being accepted and me being stuck with $1200 in tickets I can't use. And then being back at square one with the DLR ticket issues.
TigerlilyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #77
TheZue
DIS Veteran

The other big thing that lends Disneyland to longer stays is it is right in the middle of LA. We always view Disneyland as our home base when we go, and we spend days driving through Hollywood, going to the zoo, Sea World, Legoland, we've done the Price Is Right, Universal all while staying in Anaheim. Heck when my husband went to E3 we had park hoppers and went when he was done every night. The ideal situation is you can spend half a day doing something else, then the evening in Disneyland or vice versa. In WDW my understanding is it's sort of a destination on its own, not a place where you'd go do something else for a half day then back to the parks.

World didn't end, I'm going back!

Past Disneyland visits: 1983, 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012
How the heck do I not have a tag yet???
TheZue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #78
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerlilyAJ View Post
I would love to buy a big 10-day WDW pass and use it at DLR (especially since every travel agent around here specializes in WDW and knows nothing about DLR), but I would be so so afraid of them not being accepted and me being stuck with $1200 in tickets I can't use. And then being back at square one with the DLR ticket issues.
You can use WDW tickets at DLR. But it'll take a few extra minutes to enter every day.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #79
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
You can use WDW tickets at DLR. But it'll take a few extra minutes to enter every day.
Yes, I've read that, but is it like, "100% of ticket-booth CMs will accept your WDW tickets without batting an eye, and you'll be given entry no problem," or is it more like the $5 add-on days, "Well, you can do it, but you might have to try five ticket booths and talk to a supervisor to find someone who will let you do it AND who knows how to do it"?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #80
LAWalz23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
Thanks for the report. Had you used your 6-day passes yet when you asked?
Yes, we upgraded after we used our passes the first day.
LAWalz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #81
nyjets53
Earning My Ears

If I have the 5 day pass, use it one day, and can't find anyone to upgrade it to a 8 day pass and I decide to upgrade to an annual pass...(after I finish crying)...

What happens when I go to upgrade to an annual pass...do they give me credit for the total cost of the 5 day pass or do they subtract some money cause I used one day?

Going to be there for 9 1/2 days, if I get the 8 day pass we will go over to lego land for one day but if we do the annual pass we will probably be on property for the entire time....
2004 WL-Apr, AK-Aug (BROUGHT DVC SSR)
VWL-Dec HoneyMoon
2005 BW-Feb, OKW-May, SSR-Oct, OKW-Nov (added pts)
2006 OKW Dec - Jr's First trip
2007 SSR-May, BCV-Sept
2008 SSR-Dec
2009 BCV-Oct (added pts)
2010 Disney Cruise & SSR-Dec
2011 OKW-Oct (added pts)
2012 GCH-DVC-Oct DisneyLand
2013 SSR-Jan, OKW-Aug, SSR-Oct
nyjets53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #82
3Minnies1Mickey

Quote:
Yes, I've read that, but is it like, "100% of ticket-booth CMs will accept your WDW tickets without batting an eye, and you'll be given entry no problem," or is it more like the $5 add-on days, "Well, you can do it, but you might have to try five ticket booths and talk to a supervisor to find someone who will let you do it AND who knows how to do it"?
You have to trade it at the gates not the ticket booths. And I am almost 100% sure it is policy.

Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Old 07-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #83
3Minnies1Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets53 View Post
If I have the 5 day pass, use it one day, and can't find anyone to upgrade it to a 8 day pass and I decide to upgrade to an annual pass...(after I finish crying)...

What happens when I go to upgrade to an annual pass...do they give me credit for the total cost of the 5 day pass or do they subtract some money cause I used one day?

Going to be there for 9 1/2 days, if I get the 8 day pass we will go over to lego land for one day but if we do the annual pass we will probably be on property for the entire time....
They do give you credit for the price you paid for your ticket. They also back date your annual pass to the first day you used your regular ticket.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #84
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
They do give you credit for the price you paid for your ticket. They also back date your annual pass to the first day you used your regular ticket.
This wasn't my experience. We upgraded our 5 day pass to an AP in January. Our first day in the park was 12/30/11 and we upgraded on 1/3/12. Our AP's are all dated 1/3/12.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #85
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
This wasn't my experience. We upgraded our 5 day pass to an AP in January. Our first day in the park was 12/30/11 and we upgraded on 1/3/12. Our AP's are all dated 1/3/12.
This would be a rare occurrence (basically a mistake made in your favor by the CM). Standard procedure is that it would be backdated to the date of first use.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #86
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy5869 View Post
So I went to City Hall tonight to add days to our 5 day park hopper. We are on day 3 today. I knew I had bought the biggest ticket I could find but had read on here that we could add days. The young man was very nice, checks with a supervisor...etc...and informs me that they can't add days. I have the biggest ticket Disneyland sells and in order to get more days I have to buy a whole new set of tickets. Essentially starting over. He was very sorry etc but they no longer have an 8 day park hopper and I could only buy new tickets, not add days to my existing ones. I am VERY unhappy. Not with him but with this info. HELP! Anyone have any ideas? I was told it was not Disney World and no one stays here this long. I'm pretty stunned, annoyed, frustrated. We would have gone to Disney World because I could have stayed on Property for what I would have spent if we have to buy a whole new set of tickets. Thanks in advance!

~Amy
It's very hypocritical. Check out Disneyland Park Vice President Jon Storbeck's latest quote ...
Quote:
Q: Where are you at in the process of turning this into the 4 and 5 day resort?
JON: Wow. I think we’re always looking for an opportunity to bring guests into the resort and give them an opportunity to stay another day, and I certainly think we’ve done that here with what you see with Cars Land. I think what we’ve done here…what the Imagineers have done…is just give the guests a reason when they come to Southern California to stay one more day here, whether they’re on ... a five day vacation and they want to stay a sixth, so it’s just a great environment for them.
The DLR ticket office is not officially a great environment for them to extend to a 6th day on their tickets.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #87
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
ITA w/ all of that. What I don't get is how they can offer special passes and tickets to SoCal (or Florida at WDW) residents based on ZIP codes of residence proven with IDs, and don't just reverse that idea for longer passes? Like, if you can offer SoCal APs, why can't you offer a 7-day pass to people who live further away who can prove they don't live anywhere near there the same way locals prove they do live nearby?
I've heard that there is all this eBay scalping, which I guess anyone could do, but given the 14-day expiration on tickets, I have to believe that most scalping or unauthorized ticket transfers are being done by locals who a) have less need for longer passes because they can go more often, and b) have easier, quicker access to people who can take unused pass days and use them before they expire. As an international guest, I guess I could try hustling on Harbor to sell unused days ::shudder::, but I certainly can't go 2700 miles back home and give/sell passes to neighbors or family who could never get there in time.

Meanwhile, DLR just keeps creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of people not coming for longer stays when the tickets suggest they cannot/should not.

You can use a WDW pass at DLR, but I'm not sure it's cost effective. I thought WDW passes were more $$ than DLR passes, but I could be wrong. They are easy to change, you just take your WDW ticket to the turnstyle and they get a lead to change one day to a DLR ticket, you do have to do it each day tho so be aware of that when you're going. But you shouldn't run into anyone who says it can't be done, they should all know for sure it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
You got very lucky then, we've upgraded multiple times and each time our AP has been backdated to the first day of us on our park hoppers.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #88
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
You can use a WDW pass at DLR, but I'm not sure it's cost effective. I thought WDW passes were more $$ than DLR passes, but I could be wrong.
You are right. WDW are significantly more expensive than DLR tickets, especiall if you are buying them for several people.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #89
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

I think it might depend on where you get them. I have no idea on what WDW regularly charges for their tickets, but here:
http://www.flightcentre.ca/vacations/disneyworld
Click on "Park Tickets" in the center, gray bar.
FC sells Canucks 7-day Magic Your Way WDW tickets for $318 (CDN), so less than $30 more than DLR's own price for five days. I'd pay $30 per person for two more days. 10-day tickets are $352, so ~$60 more for twice the number of days. Again, a deal I'd gladly take if I were certain the tickets would be accepted (and could convince my even more anxious DH of the same).
Old 07-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #90
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

FYI, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I did write into Disney asking what their firm policy is and why the inconsistencies with upgrading tickets. I sent the email on the 26th and got a reply today.

My email consisted of briefly explaining we will be onsite for 7 nights, 8 days and were wondering why they stopped upgrading tickets past 5. I explained an AP wasn't beneficial to us as we weren't coming back soon and also there were blockout days on our trip.

The reply I got back was a standard "thank you for your comments, we love feedback from our guests" etc, etc. No information about anything.

I tried!

I urge anyone else though who is bothered by the inconsistent upgrades and lack of policy (so it seems) to write in asking for the upgrades to go back into effect or if they still are available to get the CM's better training on it.

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: