Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #31
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

I agree with your review of the pizza. It seemed like I took two bites and was done with the slice, since all that was left was crust. Now I love crust, but not enough to only eat that for my meal!

lmbcdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #32
Steelersfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree with your review of the pizza. It seemed like I took two bites and was done with the slice, since all that was left was crust. Now I love crust, but not enough to only eat that for my meal!
Well put. Plus, I don't think I mentioned, the crust wasn't really all that great. If it was a really good crust that's one thing. Again, it wasn't terrible, in fact it tasted a lot like the made up brand name rising crust frozen pizzas we always grab at our local bulk food store, Aldis. I would not buy them there either if they were horrible, it just isn't all that fantastic. That's why I did not give it more praise.

However, if I did not mention it, that cupcake could have rescued any meal. I left with "a good taste in my mouth!"
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215054
2012 dining review:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2963715
2001- All-Star Movies (9 days)
2007- POP Century (8 days)
2009- All-Star Sports (8 days)
2012- Port Orleans FQ (9 days)

Last edited by Steelersfan; 07-25-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Steelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #33
Steelersfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know what you mean about beignets we were really looking forward to trying them when we went last year (after watching princess and the frog!) but they were cold by the time we ate them and they weren't up to much we are determined to try them hot next year.
I think that is exactly it with those beignets. That's why I am mad that I never got to get them hot... and we could have done it at anytime returning from the parks...I just forgot!

We were in building #7 and I had my knee and hip replaced last summer so I am still a little gimpy first thing in the morning until I loosen up so it did take me awhile to get to the room. Plus, I found at French Quarter, you are always dodging those little lizards that sit on the sidewalks then jump into the garden areas as you walk. I definitely didn't want to step on one as they were kind of a neat little perk of any walk to and from the room. My wife almost stepped on a little black snake the one evening and I tapped it so it would get off the walkway so it didn't get killed.

I think we will be staying there again because it is small, had great bus service and there were NO TOUR GROUPS! Staying at a value you almost have to pay the extra for a preferred room if you don't want to walk a mile to your room. Here they don't have that so it is only a couple of hundred dollars more that a preferred value with all the crowded hassel. It's definitely worth the upgrade.
2012 dining review:
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #34
Steelersfan
Mouseketeer

By the way... dumb question but how do you guys get the quotes you use from other posts to include who posted the original quote.

I copied and pasted, highlighted it, then hit the quote tab and all it does is put the quote... not the quote and who originally posted it.

Thanks
2012 dining review:
Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #35
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OThopeful35 View Post
Those beignets have to be eaten immediately after they get out of the grease..LoL...you cannot walk back to your room...you can't sit them down until after you finish your meal This is what i found on our trip last year.

My son loved Pizza Planet..it was one of the places I let him pick. Loving your DR!!
I completely agree! We'd gotten the beignets several times and they were fabulous and one time we took them back to the room with us to eat them there and they were just meh. They were lukewarm and kind of chewy so we learned our lesson! Eat your lunch/dinner and then go back to get your hot beignets! Or you could just eat beignets for dinner!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #36
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
By the way... dumb question but how do you guys get the quotes you use from other posts to include who posted the original quote.

I copied and pasted, highlighted it, then hit the quote tab and all it does is put the quote... not the quote and who originally posted it.

Thanks
If you want to quote a few posts, just click on the little button at the bottom of those posts that looks like this "+ and then go to the next post and click the same button and then when you've got them all, then click on the "quote" button. If you just want to quote one post, then just click on the quote button at the bottom of that one. No need to highlight. Give it a try, I hope I explained clearly!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #37
PeanutButterMom
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying the review so far! We're in the 'Burgh too. I think a better example of the burger situation would be comparing Burgatory to a Sheetz MTO But then, we're big Burgatory fans in this house.

I'm starting to plan our very first family Disney trip and POFQ is one at the top of my list (with POR and AoA). I had staying in Dixie Landings way back when it was Dixie Landings and have fond memories.
Me (slice-o-bread #1) DH (my matching slice) PeanutButter (AKA PB) Jelly
PeanutButterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #38
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks
On the bottom right hand corner of each post, there are some icons. One says Quote and the one to the right of that is ". If you hit the Quote one, you automatically bring up a window to type your reply that has that person's quote in it. The " mark is for quoting multiple people in the same reply. When you finish hitting all of the "s you want, the select reply and you will have all the quotes you selected in your ressponse.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #39
happy2012
♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day♫ ♪

Quote:
What I meant by the negative reviews is I think some may have overly inflated expectations when they eat... especially the counter service. I LOVE WDW but I also refuse to apologize for them when they drop the ball. You will see this later in my Cosmic Ray's review.

I do agree totally that it isn't out of line to expect a good burger at a counter service, but I don't think it is realistic to expect it to be something you might get at Red Robin or somewhere you sit down and they make it to order.

That's what I meant about the negative reviews. I try to consider that it is indeed a counter service burger, not a sit down burger. For example, I would expect a much better burger at Beaches and Cream or ESPN which are sitdowns that I would at Pecos Bill's which is designed to feel a ton of people fast and move them through the lines.

Some reviewers want the same quality one might expect at a sitdown at a counterserve and that just won't happen at any restaurant, theme park etc. I am doing my reviews with that standard in mind, especially considering I have been there enough to know what is good and what was substandard. In other words I think it is the same disservice to be overly critical which might cause someone to skip a good restaurant due to a reviewer's inflated expectations as it is to dismiss a lousy product. You just have to look at it in a realistic way. It would be like being mad and saying WDW is horrible because you went in July, slept in until noon, then had to wait two hours for Space Mountain. That is what one might and should expect. I try to do my reviews the same way.

I wasn't trying to bash folks who give the negative reviews at all. Trust me... if it sucks, you will know it.

I do agree 100% about the good and bad days. Sometimes luck plays a big part both in the restaurants and parks!
All this is so true!!!! Being from PGH I'm sure you know how much BETTER WDW QS FOOD IS than say our Zoo or local parks. Cedar Point has horrible food. I mean horrible. [& lines for that matter but that's another thread] I just 100% agree w/ you. People need to compare apples to apples. IMO I think there is no better place to get a quick service meal than WDW. Other parks might have some fantastic goodies but all around I think WDW takes the CAKE!!!

Last edited by happy2012; 07-25-2012 at 02:51 PM.
happy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #40
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

Loving your review, I can not wait for more!

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
weswife
DIS Veteran

great report!

Your pics are wonderful!!!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #42
Steelersfan
Mouseketeer

After finishing up a good bit of the afternoon at Hollywood Studios, we caught the parade on the way out, stopped quickly at French Quarter then got the bus to do exactly what we did the day before, except go to the Grand Floridian for 1900 Park Fare.

I am not sure how boys would like this venue, but for a girl to get to meet Cinderella, Prince Charming, and the step family it is tough to beat. We did see Cinderella again at the end of the trip at Akershus, but there is never a guarantee she will be there. This is much more economical on the meal plan than using two TS credits at the castle.

The Grand Floridian and this restaurant are beautiful. We got there around 5:00 for our 5:20 reservation and were taken for our picture right away and went right in to be seated. There was no wait at all.

After getting our seats we saw and experienced first-hand a character meal issue. Cinderella and Prince Charming were introduced and because there were empty tables, were heading for us quickly. Then, the step family came out so we saw a steady stream of characters heading our way. We were afraid to go up and get food for fear of missing someone. It ended up not really mattering because several characters made it around twice.

Once we got to go up and get our food, here are some of our selections.

This was a salad I made right away:

My plate:

Another plate:

And some desserts:

Yes, that is a little piece of carrot cake!

Overall we agreed that we liked this restaurant but it seemed like it was missing “something.” I think it compares to Chef Mickey’s in terms of food without the dominating desserts. What they had was good, especially the apple crisp and vanilla sauce, but soft serve ice cream would have put it over the top. It may have been that they had a salmon with dill sauce the last time that was MIA this time. I’m not a salmon eater, but it had the “wow” factor last time and it was not there this time.

Right now we are “on the fence” as to whether this will be a definite the next trip. I think it will depend on our daughter’s interest in the Cinderella gang more than the food. Like I said, the food was good, just not really remarkable. There wasn’t anything that I’m craving or really remember for that matter. It still is a good choice, especially if you have a daughter that likes the princesses.

Coral Reef and Liberty Inn are next…
2012 dining review:
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #43
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your reviews thus far. I agree with you that keeping expectations on par with location helps to keep from being overly disappointed. That said I do see how when a restaurant says that they are "signature" or sets itself up to be top notch it needs to try to live up to that. I think a lot of people are also caught off guard by the price and then start comparing a 36.00 Disney steak to a 36.00 hometown steak and it is not apples to apples....

Anyways great reviews and waiting for more!
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
angelbear425
Mouseketeer

I love all of your reviews so far! I have to say that I completely agree about your review of Pizza Planet. I was there in 2009, and while I didn't eat there, it did have more of the Toy Story feel with TS character stuffed animals in the arcade machines (mini woody's in the claw machines, etc). I actually ate there last year and it was ok.. I wouldn't go out of my way to go back, but if I were hungry I would eat there again. I can't wait to read your other reviews.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #45
debjk4
Mouseketeer

Good stuff

Thanks for the great posts and love the pics!

I look forward to more and won't let our football team favorites get in the way of a great dining review! (I live 25 minutes away from BROWNS-TOWN! )

Tags
food, ohana, pics, reviews, tusker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: