Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #76
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a blast!!! I have more to say, but I'm out of time, so maybe I'll remember what I was going to say next time I post! Don't hold your breath, I'm not known for the best memory!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #77
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

The spy museum looks amazing! I love it. And how cool that you had a Disney moment there.

I guess True's photobomb moment was your mini-meltdown for your mini-vacation.

That's disappointing about Timothy Green but I've found that Disney just doesn't do live action as well as they do animation. :
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #78
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
Sounds like a great day!

It was! We had so much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Sounds like a blast!!! I have more to say, but I'm out of time, so maybe I'll remember what I was going to say next time I post! Don't hold your breath, I'm not known for the best memory!

We had a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
The spy museum looks amazing! I love it. And how cool that you had a Disney moment there.

I guess True's photobomb moment was your mini-meltdown for your mini-vacation.

That's disappointing about Timothy Green but I've found that Disney just doesn't do live action as well as they do animation. :

The museum was so cool. You’re right! That was our meltdown for the trip! I’m trying to think of the last live action film that I really enjoyed. The first two Pirates of the Caribbean movies, I think. Oh, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #79
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Universal Studios Rides, Shows and Play Areas

I have a lot to learn about UO, so I started a PTR over on The Darkside!!! Dum dum dum!!! Don’t worry, though, because I am posting the same posts over here, but I am not posting the WDW planning stuff over there. You’re not going to miss out on any of the UO planning fun! I feel like I am cheating on the WDW boards, though! “Don’t worry about that other board! I’m just getting information, that’s all! You know you are the only board for me!”

From here on out, I’m posting about UO in sienna to distinguish it from the WDW posts in purple. Here is what I posted on the UO boards today:

It’s time to do some Universal planning! I was on the UO website and I realized that I know little to nothing about these parks! First, I looked at the rides, shows and restaurants offered at each park. Then I took a peek at City Walk, but I don’t think the kids and I will be doing anything in that area this time around. Finally, I toyed around with the onsite resorts, but I quickly realized that it makes more financial sense to stay in WDW on the DDP while we take a few days off to visit UO. I would love to stay at Portofino, but a split stay between UO and WDW isn’t in the cards right now. It’s entirely possible that I am not working the numbers the right way – Disney has fuzzy math, so I am sure that UO does too – but I think that getting two or three day park-to-park tickets is the best bet. Yes, I am considering three day tickets. I can’t believe that I would allow myself to be out of the Disney Bubble for that long, but I’m starting to wonder if the kids and I could really experience all that we wanted to in only two days The extra day will probably replace my “relaxing” day. I mean, who needs to relax on vacation, right? I am also wondering if getting the Universal Express Pass is worth it. Or is it the Universal Express Plus that goes with the park-to-park tickets? In any case, I like the idea of skipping the lines. I’m definitely going to be seeking advice as I go along with my UO plans.

As I stated in the intro to this PTR, we are staying at a Disney resort and we will most likely be going to UO on Saturday, August 24th and Sunday, August 25th. I chose these days because – according to touringplans.com – WDW will have the lowest crowd levels on those days. I figured that, by extension, the crowds would be lower at UO on those days too. Am I completely off base here? I’d welcome some opinions on what days are best to go to US and IoA. Now, when I went to the Express Pass website, I put in my dates and I saw that the passes were only available on August 23rd, 25th, 28th, 29th and 30th. What’s up with that? Are passes only available on certain days or do passes sell out that quickly? Also, while on the subject of touringplans.com, are there any other websites that Darksiders frequent? For instance, I also use allears.net and mousesavers.com in my travel planning. Are there any sites similar to those for UO that anyone would recommend? I am the kind of person who hates not knowing something, so not halving all of the information about UO that I would like is driving me nuts! At the same time, I love the researching part of trip planning, so I am having fun while going nuts!

It’s been at least 20 years since I have been there and the only attraction I can remember with any real clarity is ET. I looked at the UO website and decided my first step in planning would be to get familiar with the rides and shows. I am a list maker, so what did I do? I made a list! I listed all of the rides, all of the shows and I marked if they took Universal Express Passes or Universal Express Plus. I also listed the play areas but hopefully, my kids won’t want to actually play there and I can just get some pictures of the areas if they have cool theming. Finally, I listed all of the restaurants and categorized them into Fine Dining, Casual Dining and Quick Service. Dining is a whole different topic and I am not even close to ready to discuss that yet! Based on my lists, I think the kids and I will want to do everything! Ride all the things!

I’m going to start off with the rides at Universal Studios:

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem – I am so glad this is open! The kids and I love Despicable Me and I can’t wait to do a movie night for this movie. For those who haven’t read any of my past PTRs, I like to have what I call Dinner and a Disney Movie nights. Well, I have only had one in recent months, but I need to get on the ball and start having them again so that the kids can get familiar and/or reacquainted with some characters we will see at UO. I guess I will have to call those theme nights “Dinner and a Universal Movie Nights”

Disaster! – this is the only other ride that I think I remember from when I was a kid. I’m not totally sure I have ridden this since so much has changed over the years.

ET Adventure – I know that I rode this years ago and I really liked it. The kids have seen the movie several times, but I think it would still be fun to do a movie night for this one too.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit – the kids and I love coasters and I am so glad that they are both tall enough now to ride them all. The height requirement for some of the rides was what prevented me from planning a UO trip before now. The kids are more than tall enough at this point since my baby boy is about 5’9” now (half an inch taller than me! ) and my little girl is about 5’ even!

Men in Black Alien Attack – The kids have seen the MiB movies too. I liked the first one but wasn’t all too into the second. My kids loved both. I smell another theme night coming on! Maybe when the new MiB comes out. Oops! I just checked IMDb and saw that it already came out! In May! Shows how much I wanted to see that movie!

Revenge of the Mummy – None of us have seen any of the Mummy movies, so what do we have to do? You guessed it! Have a movie night! I checked Netflix, though, and they don’t have those movies available for streaming. They are available for DVD, but I don’t really want to mess up my queue Maybe I can borrow them from someone or maybe I can catch them on cable and record them.

Shrek 4D – we have all of the movies (including the Halloween and Christmas specials) and we have watched them all several times! Shrek said the quote I have for my title to this PTR! Movie night!!!

The Simpsons Ride – the kids really like the Simpsons. I LOVE The Simpsons! I have watched them from the very beginning and I cannot wait to go on this ride. We don’t really need a movie night for this one, considering that The Simpsons comes on every Sunday night, but I think it might be fun to watch The Simpsons Movie since the kids really enjoyed it when we watched it before.

Terminator 2 3D – I loved the Terminator movies when I was younger, so I was happy that the kids liked The Terminator when they watched it a few years ago. Funnily enough, the kids have seen Terminator, Terminator 3 and even The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but they have never seen Terminator 2! I am a terrible mother! I have to make it up to them. How? Say it with me: Movie night!

Twister – this was on basic cable just the other weekend! This is one of my all-time favorite movies because of the strong female lead. I love the part when Helen Hunt’s character – Jo – and Bill Paxton’s character – Bill (LOL) – get caught in the twister, they take cover and her truck gets tossed. After it is over, Bill goes to his fiancé – who is very shaken by what she saw – and Jo passes by her, looks at her and asks calmly, “You OK?” and just keeps walking as if getting caught in a tornado is no big deal. Love it! Unfortunately, I only have this movie on VHS and I no longer have a VHS player. I might have to buy it on DVD because the kids would LOVE this movie! I know you all are tired of hearing it by now, but: Movie night!

Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse Coaster – to be honest, I’m not sure how familiar my kids are with Woody Woodpecker. I’m guessing not very. I mean, when would they have had the opportunity to watch Woody? I wasn’t too into Woody myself when I was a kid. I mostly watched him because there was a limited selection of cartoons back in the day! I looked on Netflix and they have the old cartoons on DVD, but I am most definitely not screwing with my queue for those! What’s this called “The New Woody Woodpecker Show”? That is available for streaming. I’ll check it out one day, but I have a feeling that I’ll just end up looking for a few Woody Woodpecker cartoons on youtube. No, I will not be doing a movie night for this guy

Next are the shows at US:

Animal Actors on Location – my kids are both animal lovers, but True especially loves anything to do with animals. I think we will enjoy this show.

Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Review – oddly enough, Coy asked me who Beetlejuice was the other day. I think he was watching something on TV and a commercial came on for a movie or something. In any case, I think they might find that movie to be interesting. I always thought that movie was a little weird, but we’ll see what the kids think.

The Blues Brothers Show – my kids have no idea who these people are and I don’t really have an interest in stopping to seek out this show. I heard it’s a good show, though, so we might stop if we happen to pass by during a performance.

A Day in the Park with Barney – Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need I say more? I never ever liked the purple dinosaur and I was so thankful that my kids never got into that show either!

Fear Factor Live – Coy discovered Fear Factor on Netflix a few weeks ago and has proceeded to gross out his sister by making her watch with him I never cared for the show, but I have a feeling that Coy will want to stop to watch this at US.

Lucy – A Tribute – Imagine my surprise when I saw my 9 year old daughter watching I Love Lucy on TV a few weeks ago! At first, I thought that she was asleep on the sofa and the TV was just on Lucy, but no, she was actually watching it! She finds Lucy to be hilarious and she couldn’t believe that I used to watch reruns of it when I was her age too! I think she will really enjoy seeing Lucy in the park and I hope she gets a chance to meet the character too!

Universal Orlando’s Horror Make Up Show – I think all of us will enjoy this. The kids like seeing the “behind the scenes” parts of movies, so this make up show should be pretty cool.

US Play Areas:

Curious George Goes to Town – I just want to see what is over there and maybe take a few pictures because I really liked Curious George as a kid. The kids like him too, but I don’t think they will actually be interested in playing in that area.

Fievel’s Playland – what the heck is a Fievel? Oh, I looked it up. He’s from An American Tail. Well, I doubt the kids have ever seen those movies, but I know I haven’t. Movie night? Maybe. I have so many other ones to do that I don’t know if I’ll have time to do one just so that the kids and I can be familiar with the theming of a play area.

In any case, it looks like I have quite a few movie nights to plan! This is only US! I haven’t even gotten started on IoA yet! Oh, and a Harry Potter marathon is definitely in the works! But, shhh! I don’t want to spill the beans on that one yet!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #80
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
I have a lot to learn about UO, so I started a PTR over on The Darkside!!! Dum dum dum!!! Don’t worry, though, because I am posting the same posts over here, but I am not posting the WDW planning stuff over there. You’re not going to miss out on any of the UO planning fun! I feel like I am cheating on the WDW boards, though! “Don’t worry about that other board! I’m just getting information, that’s all! You know you are the only board for me!”

From here on out, I’m posting about UO in sienna to distinguish it from the WDW posts in purple. Here is what I posted on the UO boards today:

It’s time to do some Universal planning! I was on the UO website and I realized that I know little to nothing about these parks! First, I looked at the rides, shows and restaurants offered at each park. Then I took a peek at City Walk, but I don’t think the kids and I will be doing anything in that area this time around. Finally, I toyed around with the onsite resorts, but I quickly realized that it makes more financial sense to stay in WDW on the DDP while we take a few days off to visit UO. I would love to stay at Portofino, but a split stay between UO and WDW isn’t in the cards right now. It’s entirely possible that I am not working the numbers the right way – Disney has fuzzy math, so I am sure that UO does too – but I think that getting two or three day park-to-park tickets is the best bet. Yes, I am considering three day tickets. I can’t believe that I would allow myself to be out of the Disney Bubble for that long, but I’m starting to wonder if the kids and I could really experience all that we wanted to in only two days The extra day will probably replace my “relaxing” day. I mean, who needs to relax on vacation, right? I am also wondering if getting the Universal Express Pass is worth it. Or is it the Universal Express Plus that goes with the park-to-park tickets? In any case, I like the idea of skipping the lines. I’m definitely going to be seeking advice as I go along with my UO plans.

As I stated in the intro to this PTR, we are staying at a Disney resort and we will most likely be going to UO on Saturday, August 24th and Sunday, August 25th. I chose these days because – according to touringplans.com – WDW will have the lowest crowd levels on those days. I figured that, by extension, the crowds would be lower at UO on those days too. Am I completely off base here? I’d welcome some opinions on what days are best to go to US and IoA. Now, when I went to the Express Pass website, I put in my dates and I saw that the passes were only available on August 23rd, 25th, 28th, 29th and 30th. What’s up with that? Are passes only available on certain days or do passes sell out that quickly? Also, while on the subject of touringplans.com, are there any other websites that Darksiders frequent? For instance, I also use allears.net and mousesavers.com in my travel planning. Are there any sites similar to those for UO that anyone would recommend? I am the kind of person who hates not knowing something, so not halving all of the information about UO that I would like is driving me nuts! At the same time, I love the researching part of trip planning, so I am having fun while going nuts!

It’s been at least 20 years since I have been there and the only attraction I can remember with any real clarity is ET. I looked at the UO website and decided my first step in planning would be to get familiar with the rides and shows. I am a list maker, so what did I do? I made a list! I listed all of the rides, all of the shows and I marked if they took Universal Express Passes or Universal Express Plus. I also listed the play areas but hopefully, my kids won’t want to actually play there and I can just get some pictures of the areas if they have cool theming. Finally, I listed all of the restaurants and categorized them into Fine Dining, Casual Dining and Quick Service. Dining is a whole different topic and I am not even close to ready to discuss that yet! Based on my lists, I think the kids and I will want to do everything! Ride all the things!

I’m going to start off with the rides at Universal Studios:

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem – I am so glad this is open! The kids and I love Despicable Me and I can’t wait to do a movie night for this movie. For those who haven’t read any of my past PTRs, I like to have what I call Dinner and a Disney Movie nights. Well, I have only had one in recent months, but I need to get on the ball and start having them again so that the kids can get familiar and/or reacquainted with some characters we will see at UO. I guess I will have to call those theme nights “Dinner and a Universal Movie Nights”

LOVE THIS RIDE! If you remember Jimmy Neutron's ride, this is in the same building and along the same idea! After the ride you can dance with the minions!!

Disaster! – this is the only other ride that I think I remember from when I was a kid. I’m not totally sure I have ridden this since so much has changed over the years.

I think what you remember is Earthquake. I don't think Disaster was there 14 years ago. But, again, it's pretty much the same thing. You will be in the subway when a fire and flood breaks out. It's pretty cool!

ET Adventure – I know that I rode this years ago and I really liked it. The kids have seen the movie several times, but I think it would still be fun to do a movie night for this one too.

Hasn't changed. Still fun

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit – the kids and I love coasters and I am so glad that they are both tall enough now to ride them all. The height requirement for some of the rides was what prevented me from planning a UO trip before now. The kids are more than tall enough at this point since my baby boy is about 5’9” now (half an inch taller than me! ) and my little girl is about 5’ even!

We didn't dare......

Men in Black Alien Attack – The kids have seen the MiB movies too. I liked the first one but wasn’t all too into the second. My kids loved both. I smell another theme night coming on! Maybe when the new MiB comes out. Oops! I just checked IMDb and saw that it already came out! In May! Shows how much I wanted to see that movie!

An absolute MUST DO!!! Think of Buzz Lightyear's space ranger spin!

Revenge of the Mummy – None of us have seen any of the Mummy movies, so what do we have to do? You guessed it! Have a movie night! I checked Netflix, though, and they don’t have those movies available for streaming. They are available for DVD, but I don’t really want to mess up my queue Maybe I can borrow them from someone or maybe I can catch them on cable and record them.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one although it's way too short! You don't need to see the movie to love it.

Shrek 4D – we have all of the movies (including the Halloween and Christmas specials) and we have watched them all several times! Shrek said the quote I have for my title to this PTR! Movie night!!!

This is ok. The seats move, so it's kind of bumpy, but still cute.

The Simpsons Ride – the kids really like the Simpsons. I LOVE The Simpsons! I have watched them from the very beginning and I cannot wait to go on this ride. We don’t really need a movie night for this one, considering that The Simpsons comes on every Sunday night, but I think it might be fun to watch The Simpsons Movie since the kids really enjoyed it when we watched it before.

This one is the old Back to the Future ride. Love it.

Terminator 2 3D – I loved the Terminator movies when I was younger, so I was happy that the kids liked The Terminator when they watched it a few years ago. Funnily enough, the kids have seen Terminator, Terminator 3 and even The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but they have never seen Terminator 2! I am a terrible mother! I have to make it up to them. How? Say it with me: Movie night!

This one is good. It's a movie and stage show put together. We liked it.

Twister – this was on basic cable just the other weekend! This is one of my all-time favorite movies because of the strong female lead. I love the part when Helen Hunt’s character – Jo – and Bill Paxton’s character – Bill (LOL) – get caught in the twister, they take cover and her truck gets tossed. After it is over, Bill goes to his fiancé – who is very shaken by what she saw – and Jo passes by her, looks at her and asks calmly, “You OK?” and just keeps walking as if getting caught in a tornado is no big deal. Love it! Unfortunately, I only have this movie on VHS and I no longer have a VHS player. I might have to buy it on DVD because the kids would LOVE this movie! I know you all are tired of hearing it by now, but: Movie night!

LOVED IT!!! Love the movie, so I had fun. Peter says he was expected more umph.

Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse Coaster – to be honest, I’m not sure how familiar my kids are with Woody Woodpecker. I’m guessing not very. I mean, when would they have had the opportunity to watch Woody? I wasn’t too into Woody myself when I was a kid. I mostly watched him because there was a limited selection of cartoons back in the day! I looked on Netflix and they have the old cartoons on DVD, but I am most definitely not screwing with my queue for those! What’s this called “The New Woody Woodpecker Show”? That is available for streaming. I’ll check it out one day, but I have a feeling that I’ll just end up looking for a few Woody Woodpecker cartoons on youtube. No, I will not be doing a movie night for this guy

Never been. We were "too old".

Next are the shows at US:

Animal Actors on Location – my kids are both animal lovers, but True especially loves anything to do with animals. I think we will enjoy this show.

Awesome show. It's amazing what they train those animals to do....and yes, THERE IS A CHICKEN!!!!

Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Review – oddly enough, Coy asked me who Beetlejuice was the other day. I think he was watching something on TV and a commercial came on for a movie or something. In any case, I think they might find that movie to be interesting. I always thought that movie was a little weird, but we’ll see what the kids think.

Please DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW!!! It is fantastic and has nothing to do with Beetlejuice. He's just the host. The kids will love it. Victoria did.

The Blues Brothers Show – my kids have no idea who these people are and I don’t really have an interest in stopping to seek out this show. I heard it’s a good show, though, so we might stop if we happen to pass by during a performance.

Great performance!

A Day in the Park with Barney – Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need I say more? I never ever liked the purple dinosaur and I was so thankful that my kids never got into that show either!

Fear Factor Live – Coy discovered Fear Factor on Netflix a few weeks ago and has proceeded to gross out his sister by making her watch with him I never cared for the show, but I have a feeling that Coy will want to stop to watch this at US.

It was closed both last year and this year when we went.

Lucy – A Tribute – Imagine my surprise when I saw my 9 year old daughter watching I Love Lucy on TV a few weeks ago! At first, I thought that she was asleep on the sofa and the TV was just on Lucy, but no, she was actually watching it! She finds Lucy to be hilarious and she couldn’t believe that I used to watch reruns of it when I was her age too! I think she will really enjoy seeing Lucy in the park and I hope she gets a chance to meet the character too!

Universal Orlando’s Horror Make Up Show – I think all of us will enjoy this. The kids like seeing the “behind the scenes” parts of movies, so this make up show should be pretty cool.

OMG!!!! Best show of any park I've seen.

US Play Areas:

Curious George Goes to Town – I just want to see what is over there and maybe take a few pictures because I really liked Curious George as a kid. The kids like him too, but I don’t think they will actually be interested in playing in that area.

Fievel’s Playland – what the heck is a Fievel? Oh, I looked it up. He’s from An American Tail. Well, I doubt the kids have ever seen those movies, but I know I haven’t. Movie night? Maybe. I have so many other ones to do that I don’t know if I’ll have time to do one just so that the kids and I can be familiar with the theming of a play area.

In any case, it looks like I have quite a few movie nights to plan! This is only US! I haven’t even gotten started on IoA yet! Oh, and a Harry Potter marathon is definitely in the works! But, shhh! I don’t want to spill the beans on that one yet!

Ok, Erin.....there are my opinions!!
Victoriasmom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #81
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your input, Ann! Earthquake! You’re right! There are so many new things to try in US that I cannot wait to go!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #82
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Islands of Adventure Rides, Shows and Play Areas

Next up is Islands of Adventure! Just a heads up: I’ll be doing a whole separate post on WWoHP, so I’m not going to go into that here. The rides are up first!:

The Amazing Adventures of Spider Man – the kids and I love the movies, so I think we will enjoy this! We haven’t seen the most recent movie. Anyone have any opinions about if it is worth seeing?

Caro-Seuss-el – anything Dr. Seuss is fine by me! Oh, and the kids might like it too

The Cat in the Hat – I actually picked up the Mike Myers version of this movie a couple of months ago at Target for like $5! I couldn’t believe it was that cheap because I love this movie! Coy remembered watching it, but True didn’t. I think I might have to do a movie night with this version as well as the cartoon version one day.

Doctor Doom’s Fearfall – I think the kids and I might have watched The Fantastic Four once…but who cares? This ride looks AWESOME!!!

Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls – um…who in the world is Dudley Do-Right? Quick Google search… … Ohhhhhhh. From Rocky & Bullwinkle! I used to watch that as a kid, but it was another one of those deals where I only watched it because nothing better was on I used to like Boris and Natasha, though. I wonder if my kids have ever seen any of the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons? Doubt it. Anyway, back to the ride. So it’s a log flume, right? Any chance they have lap bars on it? True and I absolutely HATE that feeling of being thrown out of the log – like in Splash Mountain – but I know Coy will want to go on this. Give me a coaster any day! Spins, loops, drops, whatever! Bring it on! But log flume rides scare me silly!

The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride – Dr. Seuss! I read a tip on a TR somewhere to ride both sides of the tracks so you can see different things. Any truth to that?

The Incredible Hulk Coaster – OK, this is usually a good debate starter: Who was a better Hulk in the most recent movies? Eric Bana or Edward Norton? Which had the better storyline? In any case, I can’t wait for us to ride this coaster!!!

Jurassic Park River Adventure – the kids and I have seen every single one of the Jurassic Park movies. The first one will always be the best, though. I think we’ll like this attraction.

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish – Dr. Seuss!!! OK, I’ll stop acting nerdy and ask about the ride So this is basically Dumbo, but with water, right? Well, since it will be August, I’m up for any water ride! Well, not Ripsaw Falls, but we already talked about that

Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges – I don’t know how, but my kids are familiar with Popeye. Seriously, no idea how. Is there a new cartoon featuring them? Anyway, I used to hate Popeye, but he made me want to eat my spinach! Love the stuff! So, I am looking forward to this water ride, too!

Pteranodon Flyers – I love these types of rides! Wait. Is this only for kids? I don’t really understand how adults could be excluded from all of this AWSOME! It’s like a swing set in the air! They let me ride something similar in Hershey Park. So, seriously, help me to understand. There are certain rides that adults can’t get on unless their kid is within a certain height range? For this one, I think the limit was 56”, but True is 5’, so that is 60” right there. Who knows how tall she will be in a year! Probably my height, the way she is growing! Oh well. If there are certain rides that I can’t ride, I will admire them from afar

Storm Force Acceleration – I think we might do an X-Men movie night because the kids are familiar (and like the movies) but I am not. This is yet another group of movies that isn’t available for streaming on Netflix! Ugh! My queue is going to be so messed up!

IoA Shows:

The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad Show – Well, The 7 Adventures of Sinbad was on Netflix streaming. That is, after I scrolled past all of the stand-up shows of the 90’s comedian, Sinbad! I was looking for the Sinbad starring Brad Pitt. I really liked that one. I think I have that on DVD, actually. Coy and I used to watch it all of the time when he was little. True was just a baby, so I doubt she has ever seen it. I’ll have to look through the box of DVDs that we never play. Anyway, I think this might be an interesting show because the kids and I like watching stunts!

Oh! The Stories You’ll Hear! – Dr. Seuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poseidon’s Fury – I heard this was a good show. Thoughts?

The Mystic Fountain – Does this really qualify as a show? Well, the UO website had it listed under shows, so that is where I will put it!

IoA Play Areas:

Camp Jurassic – we’ll probably only stop for pictures

If I ran the Zoo – I’m curious to see this one

Jurassic Park Discovery Center – I think the kids and I will really enjoy this! I’ve read that other people sort of felt let down because they expected more, so I’ll try not to get too amped up about the possibility of seeing a dino egg hatch! It just seems like a really cool place and I think the kids will like it.

Me Ship, The Olive – pass!

Looking at this list, I think we will want to see and do nearly everything! Yeah, an Express Pass is looking better and better

Old 09-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #83
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

I'm sure Hope can give more info on most of this stuff, just a comment on Spiderman. Savannah saw it and loved it, she is going to be Spider-girl for Halloween. Think she has a crush on the msin character though, so hopefully that is not the only reason she liked it! Lol
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #84
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Mystic fountain is a show in the same way the singing trash can in MK is a show.

And just so you know, the water rides are WET! Pretty sure Dudley has lap bars but absolutely positive that you will not walk away with a dry spot on you. They take the water rides seriously on the dark side. They even have lockers nearby to rent in case you have items that can't wet.

Yep, the flyers are only for the littles. I pouted about that for a while! Especially since adults are allowed to ride with a child- so we could do it, it's not a safety issue or anything, they just won't let us!

Can't wait to see your rite up on WWoHP!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #85
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I'm sure Hope can give more info on most of this stuff, just a comment on Spiderman. Savannah saw it and loved it, she is going to be Spider-girl for Halloween. Think she has a crush on the msin character though, so hopefully that is not the only reason she liked it! Lol

Well, he is kinda cute in a nerdy way! That’s so cute that she has a crush on him!

Quote:
Mystic fountain is a show in the same way the singing trash can in MK is a show.

OK, gotcha!

And just so you know, the water rides are WET! Pretty sure Dudley has lap bars but absolutely positive that you will not walk away with a dry spot on you. They take the water rides seriously on the dark side. They even have lockers nearby to rent in case you have items that can't wet.

Oh wow! Well, you know what that means? A brand new packing list for the UO day packs! I guess I’ll want to travel light so that we don’t have too much stuff to put in the lockers. That sounds like a pain!

Yep, the flyers are only for the littles. I pouted about that for a while! Especially since adults are allowed to ride with a child- so we could do it, it's not a safety issue or anything, they just won't let us!

I need to borrow a little kid! I really want to do that ride! Oh well

Can't wait to see your rite up on WWoHP!

That’s coming up in a few minutes!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #86
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Let’s be honest here. Harry is the only reason I am considering leaving the Disney Bubble for three days! Otherwise, if we ever did go to UO, it would have been for maybe a day or two. It was such a funny coincidence that I was on Pinterest earlier and what should I see but this meme?:

That was very fitting for today’s post! Anyway, I have been waiting to go to WWoHP for so long and I don’t even care that it only has a few rides and shows! Speaking of rides:

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey – this ride doesn’t have Express Pass, so is this best to do first thing?

Dragon Challenge – I just read today that the dragons are named for dragons that were in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Whenever we watch Goblet of Fire and they get to the dragon part, we always say along with Barty Crouch, “Chinese Firebolt! Oooohhh!”

Flight of the Hippogriff – yup!

…and that’s it. Ugh, I wish this part of the park was bigger! Oh well, I’m still excited about seeing everything! I also have seen a few shows on YouTube. They weren’t listed on the UO website, but I know the Beauxbaton ladies and the Durmstrang men have a performance at certain times of day! True and I love us some Durmstrang men! We call Vicktor Krum “Vicktor Yum”! I know the dude is 12 years younger than I am, but he is one fine piece of… oops! Sorry! I wonder if I can come up with a reverse aging spell? OK, let me regain my sense of composure and talk about the chorus. I don’t know what it is called, but there is a chorus that sings “Boil, Boil, Toil and Trouble” with the toads and everything! I’m so glad that they included this in the park! I listened to a couple of other songs that they sang, but I didn’t want to spoil it for myself. I also didn’t want to spoil it for the kids, so I haven’t showed them any of the performances either. Wait, I just looked at the IoA map and I saw that the Beaubaton/Durmstrang performance is called the Tri-Wizard Spirit Rally and the chorus is called the Frog Choir

The UO website lists food next. Well, I heard the food is nothing to write home about – which is a shame because I really wanted to go to the Owl Post! I know, I am corny! A tip I read was to buy the postcards and to have them stamp it with the Hogsmeade post mark, but to bring my own stamps because the Hogsmeade stamps were very pricey! Has anyone mailed a letter or a postcard at the Owl Post? But wait, we were talking about food! Is there any food item anyone would recommend at WWoHP? We definitely have to try a Butterbeer. So far, all but one of the reports I have read said the regular Butterbeer was much better than the frozen. I might have to tempt fate and try a frozen one, just to say I did it. How’s the Pumpkin Juice? To be honest, it sounds repulsive to me because all I can imagine is a pumpkin pie in juice form I imagine, that after we drink our fill of Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice, we’ll have to visit the restrooms – and hear Moaning Myrtle! Oh! I almost forgot about Pumpkin Pasties? Do they sell those at Honeydukes?

While we’re on the subject of stores, it is my understanding that Ollivanders must be done first thing in the morning. I really want to see this! Sadly, I’m not even hoping one of my kids gets picked… I’m hoping I get picked! No chance of that, though, huh? I’m just picturing that the wand chooses me and my hair gets blown back and my wand glows and I feel this sense of connection to the wand and everyone looks at me in awe as I start my journey to be the brightest which of my age! Yeah, the crazy runs deep over here Back to the shop – if we go to Ollivanders first, then we would have to go to Forbidden Journey right after that, right? Or is the line already too long after being open for 30 minutes? I want to visit each and every shop there! I heard that WWoHP gets much slower close to closing (I guess that’s typical of any park, though) and I hope that the kids and I can get some shopping done without being squished between all of the people in there Does anyone have any tips for shopping? Does anyone have any tips for getting picked…I mean, getting their kids picked for Ollivanders?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #87
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
Let’s be honest here. Harry is the only reason I am considering leaving the Disney Bubble for three days! Otherwise, if we ever did go to UO, it would have been for maybe a day or two. It was such a funny coincidence that I was on Pinterest earlier and what should I see but this meme?:

That was very fitting for today’s post! Anyway, I have been waiting to go to WWoHP for so long and I don’t even care that it only has a few rides and shows! Speaking of rides:

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey – this ride doesn’t have Express Pass, so is this best to do first thing?

Yes, pretty much. However, since you won't have early entry you might actually be better off waiting until later in the day but then you're taking the risk that the line will only get longer.

Dragon Challenge – I just read today that the dragons are named for dragons that were in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Whenever we watch Goblet of Fire and they get to the dragon part, we always say along with Barty Crouch, “Chinese Firebolt! Oooohhh!”

Flight of the Hippogriff – yup!

…and that’s it. Ugh, I wish this part of the park was bigger! Oh well, I’m still excited about seeing everything!

The shops/ displays are all really part of the experience as well. The windows have actual movie props (Hermione's gown from the winter ball for example) and everything is created to JK Rowling's specifications to be as authentic as possible. I have a pin on my Orlando Pinterest board with a scavenger hunt of things to find in the shops. I'll link it in my PTR at some point or you can look for it on my board.

I also have seen a few shows on YouTube. They weren’t listed on the UO website, but I know the Beauxbaton ladies and the Durmstrang men have a performance at certain times of day! True and I love us some Durmstrang men! We call Vicktor Krum “Vicktor Yum”! I know the dude is 12 years younger than I am, but he is one fine piece of… oops! Sorry! I wonder if I can come up with a reverse aging spell? OK, let me regain my sense of composure and talk about the chorus. I don’t know what it is called, but there is a chorus that sings “Boil, Boil, Toil and Trouble” with the toads and everything! I’m so glad that they included this in the park! I listened to a couple of other songs that they sang, but I didn’t want to spoil it for myself. I also didn’t want to spoil it for the kids, so I haven’t showed them any of the performances either. Wait, I just looked at the IoA map and I saw that the Beaubaton/Durmstrang performance is called the Tri-Wizard Spirit Rally and the chorus is called the Frog Choir

The UO website lists food next. Well, I heard the food is nothing to write home about – which is a shame because I really wanted to go to the Owl Post! I know, I am corny! A tip I read was to buy the postcards and to have them stamp it with the Hogsmeade post mark, but to bring my own stamps because the Hogsmeade stamps were very pricey! Has anyone mailed a letter or a postcard at the Owl Post? But wait, we were talking about food! Is there any food item anyone would recommend at WWoHP? We definitely have to try a Butterbeer. So far, all but one of the reports I have read said the regular Butterbeer was much better than the frozen. I might have to tempt fate and try a frozen one, just to say I did it.

Funny, I read just the opposite! Everything I've read says the frozen is so much better. Also, the line for Butterbeer at the cart can get long but inside 3 Broomsticks you can get it much faster- and then sit down at a table and try to spot a house elf's shadow while you enjoy it. How’s the Pumpkin Juice? To be honest, it sounds repulsive to me because all I can imagine is a pumpkin pie in juice form I imagine, that after we drink our fill of Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice, we’ll have to visit the restrooms – and hear Moaning Myrtle! Oh! I almost forgot about Pumpkin Pasties? Do they sell those at Honeydukes?

I think so, also cauldron cakes which I've heard are to DIE for!

While we’re on the subject of stores, it is my understanding that Ollivanders must be done first thing in the morning. I really want to see this! Sadly, I’m not even hoping one of my kids gets picked… I’m hoping I get picked! No chance of that, though, huh? I’m just picturing that the wand chooses me and my hair gets blown back and my wand glows and I feel this sense of connection to the wand and everyone looks at me in awe as I start my journey to be the brightest which of my age! Yeah, the crazy runs deep over here Back to the shop – if we go to Ollivanders first, then we would have to go to Forbidden Journey right after that, right? Or is the line already too long after being open for 30 minutes?

Yep, everything I've read says Ollivanders first, then FJ.

I want to visit each and every shop there! I heard that WWoHP gets much slower close to closing (I guess that’s typical of any park, though) and I hope that the kids and I can get some shopping done without being squished between all of the people in there Does anyone have any tips for shopping? Does anyone have any tips for getting picked…I mean, getting their kids picked for Ollivanders?
There's supposed to be a magic spot near the stairs for getting picked but I'm not sure. My kids don't want to be picked so I haven't read up that much on it. I've also read later in the day is slower, but it seems risky to me- they will shut down the HP section of the park if it gets too full and then you have to wait in line and can enter as people leave.

You can always do the castle tour first thing in the morning (after Ollivander's) and then ride FJ later in the day.

Do you have the free UO app from Undercover Tourist? Watch the wait times at various points of the days for the weeks leading up to your trip to see if there's a time of day when the lines are shorter and try to plan to be there during that time for FJ (but still do Ollivander's first thing). For us it seems to be the hours before and after lunch (but not during) that the FJ line is shortest. I'm sure it's different during different times though.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #88
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ugh, I wish this part of the park was bigger!
I completely agree. I heard they were going to do an expansion if it did well and I am sure it has for them so it makes me tempted to wait. It's hard to justify going for a whole day for three rides (Toby will only be able to do two.) But I am hoping the ambiance and the stores will make up for it.

Two things I saw on pintrest about Twilight while I was looking up ideas for our Harry Potter movie night.

Both made me laugh - I just tease my sister about them because she is a fan

I do love the strength of the female characters in Harry Potter though.
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life

Last edited by Alysa; 10-01-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #89
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure an expansion is in the works but it will be years (maybe 2 or more) before its ready so I'm not waiting- it'll just be a good excuse to go back.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #90
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There's supposed to be a magic spot near the stairs for getting picked but I'm not sure. My kids don't want to be picked so I haven't read up that much on it. I've also read later in the day is slower, but it seems risky to me- they will shut down the HP section of the park if it gets too full and then you have to wait in line and can enter as people leave.

You can always do the castle tour first thing in the morning (after Ollivander's) and then ride FJ later in the day.

Do you have the free UO app from Undercover Tourist? Watch the wait times at various points of the days for the weeks leading up to your trip to see if there's a time of day when the lines are shorter and try to plan to be there during that time for FJ (but still do Ollivander's first thing). For us it seems to be the hours before and after lunch (but not during) that the FJ line is shortest. I'm sure it's different during different times though.

Thanks, for the tips on FJ and on the shops. I'd love to see Hermione's dress! I don't think I've seen your Orlando board, but I'll be sure to look out for the link to the scavenger hunt if you post it! That sounds like so much fun because it would be so cool to see the props from the movies. Ooh! Cauldron cakes? Mmm! I'm going to look up the secret spot by the stairs to get picked for the wand ceremony. I think Coy will act like he's too cool but I think True would enjoy the attention Thanks for that tip, too! I don't have the Undercover Tourist app yet, but I'll have to get that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
I completely agree. I heard they were going to do an expansion if it did well and I am sure it has for them so it makes me tempted to wait. It's hard to justify going for a whole day for three rides (Toby will only be able to do two.) But I am hoping the ambiance and the stores will make up for it.

Two things I saw on pintrest about Twilight while I was looking up ideas for our Harry Potter movie night.

Both made me laugh - I just tease my sister about them because she is a fan

I do love the strength of the female characters in Harry Potter though.

I'm really looking forward to an expansion, but I'll take a little Harry Potter for now. Honestly, I think I'm going to geek out so much that my kids are going to have to pull me away to visit the other areas of the parks!

That first link is so funny! I'll have to pin that! The second link is actually pinned to my Harry Potter board right now! I agree, I love the strong female characters in the HP books

Quote:
I'm pretty sure an expansion is in the works but it will be years (maybe 2 or more) before its ready so I'm not waiting- it'll just be a good excuse to go back.

Yes, that would be a wonderful excuse to go back!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: