Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Disney Every Day - Update 10/21 – 1, 2, 3! We’re Leaving for Orlando Tomorrow!

I know what you're thinking! You're thinking, "Uh oh! Here we go again! Another PTR! When are we going to be able to read a TR? Do you think you'll actually make it to Disney World this time? Do ya? Do ya? Do ya?"

The answer to that is yes! We will make it to Disney World this time! Yes this is my third PTR. No, I don't have any TRs to show for them, but... third times a charm!

In fact, I'm going to turn "Third Times a Charm" into a link for my TR when the time comes!

In case you didn't read Guilt and the Guilty Pleasure or There's No Turning Back Now, I'll give you the condensed story of why my kids and I haven't been back to Disney since 2009. I'm Erin. I'm a divorced mom of two. This is me:

I'm kinda cute, right? I don't know why I'm still single! Seriously, though, I do know why. My life is basically my kids and my career. Oh, and the DIS I spend as much time with my kids as I can, so I don't have a lot of time for chasing after men My kids go see their dad every other weekend, so I have a little bit of free time then to go out with friends, but that's it. It's cool, though. I wouldn't have it any other way because kids are only kids once!

I said I was giving you the condensed version, right? I tend to do that. I claim to give the "long story short" version and I never do. I tend to go on tangents. If you can't deal with that, then you're not going to like this PTR Please stay, though! So anyway, I had a trip planned for late November 2010 but my ex stopped paying child support and I took a promotion at work that ended up being a pay cut (better title, better hourly pay, but no commission). It was the right choice at the time but it wasn't great timing since child support stopped coming shortly thereafter. My income went down quite a bit, so I needed to reschedule our trip. This was when I started writing my first PTR Guilt and the Guilty Pleasure because I was planning on taking my kids to Disney for their birthdays in 2011. They were both born in April, so it was going to be a big blow-out trip! My finances still weren't where they needed to be, so I rescheduled the trip AGAIN! Then I started writing There's No Turning Back Now. Well, apparently, there was turning back because the trip I planned for October 2011 got pushed to November 2011 and then rescheduled to June 2012! Your heads are probably spinning right now, aren't they? Let me explain. I was running low on paid time off from work so I rescheduled October 2011 for November so that I could try to build my PTO back up. By the time November rolled around, most of my PTO was burned up by emergency dentist appointments and child support court dates. The good news was that my ex-husband was ordered to have his pay garnished for child support and for what he owed in arrears! The bad news was that I didn't feel financially comfortable enough yet to take unpaid time off for a vacation. I rescheduled the trip for June 2012 and this time, my sisters were coming along too! Everything was going great until I got laid off from my job It would've been totally irresponsible to go on vacation while I was job hunting, right? Right?!? I'm still second guessing that one In all seriousness, I knew I had to reschedule AGAIN. Thankfully, I got hired at a great company and I've been on the job for almost two months now!

That brings us to my third PTR. Whew! Now, the plan is to go to Disney for 9 glorious days and 8 fun-filled nights from

August 24th to September 1st

at the beautiful

Pop! Century Resort

There may be a slight change in date and there may be a change in resorts, but we are getting there by August 2013, darn it! As the dates stand right now, my sisters may be able to come for half of the week because their college classes start on August 28th - if I did my research correctly. Oh, who am I kidding? I always do my research correctly! My youngest brother's classes start the week before, so it's unlikely he'll make the trip unless I change my dates. Since I've already rescheduled this trip more times than I care to count, I doubt I'll make any drastic changes to the dates. By the time August 2013 rolls around, it will have been four years since our last Disney vacation (ouch, that hurts to write!) so we're going at a non-peak time. According to touringplans.com crowd levels are fairly low the week before Labor Day because so many schools are back in session. It'll be worth the wait because I can't stand it when it's overcrowded in WDW. As a kid, my parents used to take all five of us kids to Disney World either during Easter week or in mid-summer. It was the worst! We'll, it was awesome because it was Disney after all, but the lines were insane! The two times I've taken my kids have been in the off-season - October 2008 and November 2009 - and it made all the difference! I wanted to go in November of this year, but the busy season at my new job (an NPO) is October through March. So August 2013 it is! Hopefully, my sisters can go. Maybe, somehow, both of my brothers could make it. I'd love for my whole family to go, but I'm just glad that my kids and I are going!

So introductions, yes? Yes! As a courtesy to those who have already read along with me, I'm not going to rehash our favorite rides, characters etc. I'm going to list our favorite Disney movie, favorite villain, least favorite ride in Disney World and the food we're most looking forward to eating in Disney World.

First there's me, Erin, and here I am again - taking pictures of myself at my desk instead of working:

In August 2013 I'll be 40 (egad! )
My favorite Disney movie is currently The Princess and the Frog because I love how hard working she is. That something I can relate to at this moment. "I'm almost there!"

My Favorite Disney Villain is Mother Gothel (from Tangled) because she is just so deliciously evil!

My Least Favorite Ride is Primeval Whirl because what I thought was a little mouse coaster turned out to be a jarring ride that left me and my kids with sore hips from banging into each other!

The Food I'm Most Looking Forward to Eating is a breakfast buffet. I mean, I'm looking forward to eating School Bread and Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bars, but my favorite thing to eat will always be breakfast. There is something homey about breakfast to me. There is a very comforting feeling that comes to me from sitting down with my kids in front of plates of eggs, bacon, sausage and Mickey Waffles!

Next up is Coy:

He will be 14 at the time of our 2013 trip.
When I asked Coy what his favorite movie was, he asked, "Can it be from the Disney Channel?" I said," Sure," and he said it was a movie called "You Wish!" I've never heard of this movie before but Coy has great taste in movies, so I'm going to take his word for it.

Coy's Favorite Villain is Syndrome from The Incredibles. I have to agree that he was a great character!

Coy's Least Favorite Ride is it's a small world. Oh no! I know Coy is with the majority on this one, but I love it's a small world!

The Food Coy is Most Looking Forward to Eating is funnel cake! Mmm! That's my boy! Disney's funnel cakes are SO GOOD! I like mine just dusted with powdered sugar. Coy and his sister like their's piled high with whipped cream and strawberries! Delicious! I have recently learned that they have pumpkin spice funnel cakes at American Adventure!

Next is True:

She will be 10 on our 2013 and I am so glad she will be a "Disney Adult" because one of my only pet peeves about Disney is the limited selection on the kids menus. The three of us are fairly adventurous eaters, so True's not happy when her choices are limited to chicken nuggets and mac & cheese. We mostly ate at buffets on our last two trips so that all three of us could get what we wanted. Now that all of us are "adults", I can book some meals at different restaurants such as Coral Reef, Le Cellier, maybe even Brown Derby! The kids even said they wanted to try Chefs de France! Oops! I'm getting ahead of myself here! Back to my baby girl.

True's favorite movie is Brave. We saw it a few weeks ago and it was a really good movie. We actually had a Dinner and a Disney Movie theme night for it. Don't get your hopes up, though. I'm going to post about it, but it was actually more of a comedy of errors than it was a theme night.

True's Favorite Disney Villain is Queen Narissa, the stepmother from Enchanted. That's another great character! We'll have to do a Dinner and a Disney Movie night for Enchanted soon.

True's Least Favorite Ride is Splash Mountain. I wholeheartedly agree! I should go back and change my answer because Primeval Whirl made my hips hurt but on Splash, I actually feared for my life! Neither True nor I enjoy the feeling at the last drop where we lift off of our seats and feel like we are going to be thrown off of the boat! We'll get on the scariest rollercoasters any day of the week but we only get on Splash because Coy loves that ride.

The Food True is Most Looking Forward to Eating is... Well, when I asked True this question, she immediately answered, "Chinese food." Then she paused, gave an inquisitive look and asked, "Do they have Chinese food in Disney World?" I laughed, "Yes, True," and it was decided that we must eat Chinese! I guess we'll try out Yak & Yeti counter service.

That's it for intros! See? I'm even long winded just doing those! Well, I hope you guys stick around in spite of that! You might be wondering what else I could possibly write about, considering that I've been planning this trip for several years That's a good question! Kidding! I think my kids and I will get back into doing Dinner and a Disney Movie nights. We don't always do activities for these because it's all about the food for us. I think we will be doing lots of arts and crafts, though, because I have recently rediscovered the joy that is Michaels craft store! So I'll be posting about our crafts too. Here's a preview: Coy and True were at their dad's this weekend, so I went by Michaels on Saturday and got some cheap beads because I wanted to get back into beading. Well, I decided to make a bracelet. A Monorail Bracelet!

It's a little wavy because the cheap beads I got weren't uniform, but I like it for a first try! When True came home last night, she asked if she could have it (she didn't realize I made it for her) and asked me if I could teach her how to bead. I'm going to let her practice on these beads, but I ordered some high quality beads today that will be uniform. I think those beads will make all the difference with the monorail bracelets.

In addition to movie nights and crafts, I am going to try my hand at t-shirt DISigns. I think I might make autograph books and passports! I have a year until our trip, so I've got to do something! So I hope you join me and my kids as we try to have a little Disney Every Day!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR

Last edited by Tink-erin-belle; 10-21-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

Introductions – click here…or you could just scroll up!
Cupcake Crawl
Dinner and a Disney Movie: Brave
Craft Time: Minnie & Mickey Bracelets
380 Days!!!
Real Life Update: Homeschool
365 Days!!!
365 Days!!! Part Two
Disney Shopping - Coloring Pages
Camera Apps
Real Life Update: Coffee and a Book
VERY Rough Draft of Park Days
What Should I Call This Update?
Thoughts on ADRs
Real Life Update: Preparing for the Boston Trip
Hidden Mickeys
Real Life Update: International Spy Museum
Universal Studios Rides, Shows and Play Areas
Islands of Adventure Rides, Shows and Play Areas
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Fuzzy Math
Real Life Update: Boston Trip Booked!
New Park Days!
Real Life Update: House Pics – Part One
Real Life Update: House Pics – Part Two
Real Life Update: Happy Halloween! Part One
Real Life Update: Happy Halloween! Part Two

Last edited by Tink-erin-belle; 11-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

I look forward to another fun pre-planning report, then a wonderful trip report.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Cute new pics!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Dream426
Love Disney!!

Joining in.

Gianna's First of Many WDW Trips March 2013!! PTR

Gianna and Sophia's First Trip to Disney World September 2014 PTR!!

Dream426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Absolutely LOVE the monorail bracelet. Aren't you the talented one, huh? Way back when I used to restring pearls for a local jeweler and loved it. I haven't done it in a long time, though. Can you imagine adding another hobby to my already way too busy life? When would I have time for my chickens???

I'm so excited that you will be there in August 2013 because I DEFINITELY will!!! My trip will be August 16 through the 27th though, so we will overlap just a tad bit. To finally meet you would be awesome!! And to add Karen to the mix --- totally fabulous! Can wait to continue reading about your plans!!!
Victoriasmom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I wanna be first!!!! Subbing!!!
You're first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
I look forward to another fun pre-planning report, then a wonderful trip report.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to this too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post

Cute new pics!
Thanks! I'm glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
I'm here....
I'm here!!!
I'm happy my buddies are subbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream426 View Post
Joining in.
Glad to have you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
Absolutely LOVE the monorail bracelet. Aren't you the talented one, huh? Way back when I used to restring pearls for a local jeweler and loved it. I haven't done it in a long time, though. Can you imagine adding another hobby to my already way too busy life? When would I have time for my chickens???

I'm so excited that you will be there in August 2013 because I DEFINITELY will!!! My trip will be August 16 through the 27th though, so we will overlap just a tad bit. To finally meet you would be awesome!! And to add Karen to the mix --- to
tally fabulous! Can wait to continue reading about your plans!!!
Thanks, Ann! I love the monorail bracelet too! I can't wait for my new beads to get in. It'll be so much fun to meet you and Karen next year!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Cupcake Crawl

Have any of you guys ever done a Cupcake Crawl in Disney World? I read about it a few months ago on the Disney Food Blog and it's definitely something I want to do! I thought it would be appropriate to post about this today because my company had a cupcake food truck come for us today. I got a strawberry and cream cupcake:

It was really delicious! The cake was moist and dense. The whipped cream topping was fresh and had a hint of strawberry in it. It was only the size of a homemade cupcake, though. That was fine since it was free, but I've seen that cupcake truck around my job before and they sell them for $3.50! What a mark up! When I first started working at my job, I went to the truck but I only had a credit card with me. Their minimum transaction for cards was $15 and they sold a half dozen pack of cupcakes for that much. $15 for six regular sized cupcakes? Um... No. I need to open a cupcake truck and get in on this before this fad is over!

Now, that's not to say that I won't spend good money on a cupcake - it just had to be exceptional! My sisters turned me on to a place called Crumbs Bake Shop. They aren't nationwide yet, but they have stores along the East and West Coasts. Their cupcakes are amazing... and expensive! They are definitely only for special occasions. To celebrate my new job and the kids' last day of the school year, I got a half dozen.

Back row, left to right: Birthday Cupcake, Blueberry Swirl Cupcake and Carrot Cake Cupcake.

Front row, left to right: Lemon Cupcake, Cotton Candy Cupcake and Pistachio Cupcake.

I had already heard about the Cupcake Crawl by this time, so I wanted to see how my kids would react to a cupcake taste test. As if they wouldn't love it! My mom and brothers were at my house that Friday night, too, so I cut the cupcakes into sixths. I hope you guys don't mind me sharing these with you!

First up was the Blueberry Swirl:

The filling was the consistency of blueberry topping that you might find on a cheesecake, but it was fresh with hunks of blueberries in it! The kids and I loved this one! I could probably eat it for breakfast because it wasn't overly sweet. Yum!

Next was the Birthday Cupcake. When I ordered this, the lady at the counter asked if I wanted a candle! Nope, just the cupcake, please!

The filling was just more of the scrumptious frosting. No complaints here! I'm a frosting girl!

Next up was the Pistachio Cupcake:

My mom and I had this all to ourselves because my kids and my brothers all turned their noses up at it! The whole family loves pistachios so I don't know what their deals were. Coy doesn't like nuts in brownies or ice cream and he did at least take a bite of the pistachio cupcake, but he immediately offered the rest of his piece to me. Oh well. More for me and Mom! This cupcake didn't have a filling but it didn't need it since it had enough going on with the nuts in the cake and the frosting. So freaking good!

The Cotton Candy Cupcake was up next:

It didn't have a filling either, but the "sprinkles" around the edge were pieces of cotton candy. I had high hopes for this but the cotton candy tasted salty. I teased the kids by saying that they must have melted down the cotton candy by having someone hold it on their hot, sweaty hand That statement was met with a few groans and proclamations of how gross I was to even think that! There's actually a running joke between me, Coy and True. When True was very little - probably about two - she offered me some grapes from her hand. I took some, of course, and popped one in my mouth. That grape was SO SALTY but I couldn't spit it out because it would have hurt her feelings! I told her and Coy the story a few years later and now, whenever any of us offers food to another, we'll often ask if the food is salty like those salty grapes!

Did I gross you guys out? Let's get back to the cupcakes! Next up was the Lemon Cupcake:

This has been a favorite of mine and the kids ever since we tried it for the first time last year. So much so that I neglected to get a picture of the deliciously tart lemon filling. It had the same consistency as the blueberry filling and the tartness gave a nice balance to the super sweet vanilla frosting.

By this time, my mom and I had eaten the equivalent of a cupcake and a half, and everyone else had about a whole cupcake. Those cupcakes are huge and we couldn't taste any more at that point. We saved the best for last, though. Coy, True and I had our favorite: The Carrot Cake Cupcake. We decided to save it for the morning so we could split it after breakfast. Well, wouldn't you know that Kyle spent the night and HE ate our favorite cupcake before we could get to it?!? Kyle! Ugh!

So I think the kids and I can handle a Cupcake Crawl! There are cupcakes in every park and in quite a few of the resort restaurants. Here's a list that I found on Disney Food Blog:

Magic Kingdom:
Main Street Bakery -
Burger Cupcake (just looks like a burger, doesn't taste like it!)
Peanut Butter Cupcake

EPCOT:
Sunshine Seasons -
Guava Cream Cheese Cupcake
Pineapple Coconut Cupcake (may only be for summer)
Chocolate Raspberry Cupcake

Karamell Kuche -
Caramel Corn Cupcake
Vanilla Caramel Cupcake
Chocolate Caramel Cupcake

Hollywood Studios:
Starring Rolls Cafe -
Butterfinger Cupcake (I really want to try this one!)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake
Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake
Marble Cupcake

Toy Story Pizza Planet -
Chocolate Cappuccino Cupcake

Animal Kingdom:
Kusafiri Bakery -
White Chocolate Elephant Cupcake
Zebra Cupcake
Cotton Top Tamarin Cupcake

Boardwalk Inn:
Boardwalk Bakery -
Smores Cupcake
Peanut Butter Cupcake
Coffee Mocha Cupcake
Oreo Bon Bon Cupcake
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake

Polynesian:
Captain Cook's -
Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cupcake
Lemon Ginger Cupcake

Wilderness Lodge:
Roarin' Fork -
Carrot Cake Cupcake
Smores Cupcake

Pop!:
Everything Pop -
The King Cupcake (I'm really intrigued by this! Chocolate, peanut butter, bacon crumbles. Hmm? But that banana filling ruins it for me!)

Art of Animation:
Landscape of Flavors -
Macaroon Cupcake

Clearly we won't be able to do that in one day or even on one trip! Maybe we'll do a cupcake every day or so. I want to try a lot of these, but there are also so many other desserts in Disney World that deserve our attention! So have you guys done a Cupcake Crawl or any other Crawls? On DFB there is also a Candy Crawl. I'd like to do that too, but instead of eating all of the candy that day, I'd rather just collect it and take most of it home to enjoy after our trip. There's a Monorail Crawl where you eat each course of a meal at a different monorail resort. Then there is the crawl that started it all: Drinking Around the World! I really hope my sisters come along on this trip because I really REALLY want to drink around the world!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
sushi candy
Foodie

Subscribing!

I think your cupcake crawl is a fabulous idea! I can't wait to read about it in your trip report.
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #14
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

OMG Erin, you realize I'm trying to lose weight right now, right?!?!?! I think I gained a pound just looking at those pictures! I am SO on this! I have had the red velvet at DHS and it was fantastic! I'm having a hard time convincing myself to try a different cupcake or two and not just have that one again! Of course, since vegan stuff is easier on my body, I got some cupcakes at Babycakes at DTD when I was there. They were SO good, but not fancy or huge like Disney's cupcakes. As for drinking around the world...Rey & I already have big plans for this in November! I'll take lots of pics!!! They might be a wee bit blurry by the end of the day though!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Dream426
Love Disney!!

I love cupcakes!!! So I think the cupcake crawl is a GREAT idea!! Those cupcakes look amazing and not I have to go over to the food board to check out this cupcake crawl.

Gianna's First of Many WDW Trips March 2013!! PTR

Gianna and Sophia's First Trip to Disney World September 2014 PTR!!

Dream426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: