Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
NJDisneyFreak93
Crazy About Disney Since '93

New Test Track? Don't know if I like the idea

So I was searching allears.net to get my daily Disney fix (haven't been to the world in awhile ) and like I always do I checked the rehabs to see what changes are happening. I saw test track was closed to rehab until fall 2012, as I read on I was shocked to see that it was going through a full make over on the inside attraction. Reading through the press release (I will include a link in the comments) it seems test track is taking on a more futuristic feel. Personally test track is one of my all time favorites and seeing the concept art I'm not too thrilled. I was expecting an updated queue and maybe a new pre-show but I was not prepared to see a whole new ride experience. I'm I the only one that is disappointed or shocked by the extreme rehab/update?
NJDisneyFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you didn't like it and sure others are in your camp. I did like the renderings...felt way cooler and my boys are always a sucker for anything gfuturistic themed...buzz and star wars...this will fit right in!

Now if I Ly it would be for sure open on 11/30!!!!!!!
hollygolitely93 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
NJDisneyFreak93

I agree holly I like the futuristic theme and that Disney is bringing it to attraction updates. I've always like original attractions and felt like this is too big of a change to a great attraction, guess I was a little shocked about what I saw but I'm sure it will grow on me
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

How about just waiting until you have actually experienced the new ride before deciding that you don't like it? Sometimes a re-imagined ride is a good thing.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
NJDisneyFreak93

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
How about just waiting until you have actually experienced the new ride before deciding that you don't like it? Sometimes a re-imagined ride is a good thing.
I was just saying I don't like the idea but I will not fully decide if I like it or not till I ride it.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Always liked TT and always said so. Was very bummed when the changes were announced.

But I've done my TT mourning and am ready to see the new thing. I'm prepared to like it on its own merits. So far, all I've seen are sketches of artwork I don't much care for, but I will like it if I can.

I do hope they'll change the name, though. It will be very difficult to not make comparisons if it is supposed to be the same ride.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
NJDisneyFreak93

I do hope they'll change the name, though. It will be very difficult to not make comparisons if it is supposed to be the same ride.[/QUOTE]

I read that the name is reportly being changed to Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot which fits into the new theming of the ride I assume. But I always agree with you in regards to mourning over the changes of TT I will try my best to like the new version as much as I can.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Personally I thought TT was very old and rather tired. It really felt circa 1995. (yes I know it didnt open till '99 but it was designed in the mid nineties) It had so much potential and I was always disappointed in it after riding. I have high hopes for the new version.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

I'm playing the wait & see approach on TronTrack as well.

It all depends on how they're doing the "futuristic" stuff. If they're doing it to be futuristic for the sake of being "futuristic" and without a message or any education behind it, I'm not going to like the idea all that much. I'll ride it, but it would hold little special meaning to me.

Now, if they set it up as more of a concept proving ground type of deal, that educates about the technology, design, and future possibilities, that'll work for me. It would fit better with the original intention and philosophy of Epcot in general, and Future World in specific. However, this vision seems to be getting lost for the sake of "Rides" rather than "Attractions" (See Soarin' for example, and Mission:Space for a borderline example (although, I do enjoy MS quite a bit ))

And I think this is why I felt Horizons, SSE, the original Living Seas and Imagination, World of Motion, and the original Living with the Land all worked better than much of what we have now. They weren't just rides (albeit, well themed rides), they were much more and had a philosophy of education, history, technology, and the evolution of the way we did things moving forward into the future behind them. (Wonders of Life as well, but I admit to very little experience here, did Body Wars once and that's about it).

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)

Last edited by Cafeen; 07-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I'm all for it being futuristic. It IS in Future World after all.

That being said, I hope it's not "all flash and no substance".
Old 07-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'm not sure I like it either, especially the emphasis on the Chevrolet brand, just seems like it will be more of a commercial. But that is what you get when they must have outside sponsors. I like the Tron idea though.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Livin' the Dream
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
I'm all for it being futuristic. It IS in Future World after all.

That being said, I hope it's not "all flash and no substance".
I like the idea of moving forward and would like to see EPCOT (FW) go as much in that direction as possible.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I'm not sure I like it either, especially the emphasis on the Chevrolet brand, just seems like it will be more of a commercial. But that is what you get when they must have outside sponsors. I like the Tron idea though.

I honestly don't have a problem with the Chevrolet branding. I doubt the branding will be any more obvious than the GM branding that's always existed in World of Motion and TestTrack. GM has the experience working with Disney and generating the exposures at the park, so I'm seeing/thinking the Chevrolet thing is less of an attempt to be more overt in their sponsorship, Than an attempt to make that impression more about a specific part of the GM company and less about the parent.

(GM has a LOT less brands than it did in the US than it did when Test Track or WoM opened, so there would be less need to give all the brands coverage. There may also be an attempt to distance the GM Parent from the actual consumer product brands to avoid any negativity stemming from Auto Bailouts)

As for the Design... My impression from what I've read/seen is that they are going to keep the general Auto Proving ground theme... But since more and more proving ground activity is done thru computer simulations, we are moving from a "real life Proving ground" to a simulated Proving ground within the virtual environment.

Of course... that creates an obvious situation which can generate a lot of visuals from Tron.

Bonus... It would allow for much smoother transactions between the different testing stations from a story standpoint.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
DWJoshua
Mouseketeer

I LOVE the new concept art for the TT redesign! I have to admit that I was never thrilled with the original design - it didn't really showcase anything new or innovative. It was a fun ride, but didn't fit all that well into Future World.

I really hope the new name isn't "Chevrolet Design Center." It just sounds boring...

Just my thoughts!

Past Trips:
Nov. '95 * Dec. '98 * Dec '01 * Mar. '04 * Jan. '05 * Jan. '07 * Apr. '07 * Jan. '08 * Oct. '08 * Oct. '09 * Jan. '10 * Jan. '12 * Dec. '13
1/06-5/06 - WDW CP
DWJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
Personally I thought TT was very old and rather tired. It really felt circa 1995. (yes I know it didnt open till '99 but it was designed in the mid nineties) It had so much potential and I was always disappointed in it after riding. I have high hopes for the new version.

I agree with this. I am really looking forward to riding it in December!!!
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closed, epcot, rehab, test track, update

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: