Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #91
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Yay! Tom Sawyer's Island We spent about an hour out there exploring with my son in Feb. I skipped it this July with only a teenage girl, but we will be back again next time.

Love the Dumbo shots. We only went over there at night....it looks totally different at night by the way...really cool lighting.
I really wanted to make it over to Dumbo to get some night shots but we never made it back over there. I've seen pictures of it all lit up though and it looks so pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
You totally tricked me with the Ferryboat pic lol! I've sooo wanted to do that every trip and ALWAYS run out of time.

See that guy taking a picture of the Railroad at the same time you're taking his picture? I always wonder if I end up in other people's pictures.... and what I look like!
Sorry about that! I really wanted to try the Ferryboat as well but still haven't had a chance. The boys are never interested. I guess I'll have to sneak away next trip so I can give it a try.

So funny about the guy taking the picture! I didn't even notice him. After our last trip, I stumbled upon a video on youtube that someone took of Alice riding on the Mad Tea Cups on the same exact day that we were in the Magic Kingdom. So, of course I looked to see if we were anywhere in the shot and there we were waiting in line to get on the ride. It was too funny! What are the odds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I just saw a "shake it" app. You shake the app and it tells you what attraction to go to next based on your location and wait times and who knows what else. could be interesting! And solves the "whatever you think or I don't know what do you want to do" issue.

Good for you on the couch to 5K, I've heard good things about it! So glad you went on Dumbo, I am totally riding it in Oct and may well go through the queue so I can see everything.

Last time we rode the train it was the same, horribly hot waiting. UGH!

The ferry is fun, I've only done it once, by myself and loved it! I can't wait to see what you think of TSI.
Oohh...that app does sound interesting! It could definitely help with the "what do you want to do next?" questions!!

Thanks! So far I'm really liking the couch to 5K. Hopefully, I can continue to stick with it!!

Dumbo was a lot of fun! Next time, I want to make a point to see it all lit up at night. The pictures I've seen of the area look very cool.

I really want to do the ferry. The boys not so much. We took a sightseeing cruise last summer which they didn't really enjoy. I guess I'll wait a few years and try again.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #92
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

We've not been on Dumbo since our first trip in 2007. We will have to try it again to see all the new stuff...it looks great!

Ahh!!Tom Sawyer Island! One of our very favorite places....it's a little boys' paradise! Can't wait to hear about your adventures!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #93
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
We've not been on Dumbo since our first trip in 2007. We will have to try it again to see all the new stuff...it looks great!

Ahh!!Tom Sawyer Island! One of our very favorite places....it's a little boys' paradise! Can't wait to hear about your adventures!
It was so much fun exploring Storybook Circus! Aww..I can't wait to share our adventures on TSI! Hopefully, I can get the next update posted really soon!!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #94
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
So funny about the guy taking the picture! I didn't even notice him. After our last trip, I stumbled upon a video on youtube that someone took of Alice riding on the Mad Tea Cups on the same exact day that we were in the Magic Kingdom. So, of course I looked to see if we were anywhere in the shot and there we were waiting in line to get on the ride. It was too funny! What are the odds?
Wow! That is amazing that you found that video, what fun to see!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #95
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! That is amazing that you found that video, what fun to see!
I know! I was just randomly checking out vacation videos and saw one with the date we were there. It was pretty funny!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #96
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Following the Leader....

“Following the leader, the leader, the leader….We're following the leader wherever he may go.” Peter Pan

When I left off we had just explored the new Storybook Circus, and grabbed a fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Since we had about an hour to kill before we could use our fastpasses we decided to head over to this place—

Tom Sawyer Island! This would be our first time exploring the island and we were so excited!!

Noah was enjoying the nice relaxing ride over on our raft.

I couldn’t resist snapping a picture of this on the way in. Too cute!

We made our way over to the map to see where to head first-

It was about this time that Noah informed us that he would be the leader and that we could follow him. Silly boy! But, we were game and it was nice to let someone else make the decisions. DH and I were just along for the ride

Lead the way, Noah! Our Adventure awaits….

Noah immediately noticed a dark cave up ahead and declared that this would be our first stop. After trying to find our way through the dark, I was very relieved when I finally saw daylight. Then it was off to explore the windmill. After a lot of ups and downs and twists and turns we made our way out.

Apparently, it was at this point that Nick had gotten tired of Noah being the leader and jumped ahead.

Of course, Noah didn’t like that very much and ran to catch up as we made our way over to Fort Langhorn

The fort was really cool but there were a lot of small spaces so we let the boys explore for a bit and then caught up with them after a while.

Peeking out one of the windows-

Noah practicing his aim.

Not to be outdone, Nick stepped up to show what he could do.

It was at this point that I noticed the amazing view of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. So, as any Disney lover would do. I took a ton of pictures— (Here are the best ones)

Time for some more exploring…

Can I just say how much I love the views from the island-

Then it was time to head to the barrel bridge.

I tried to talk my way out of it. I don’t like bridges but especially the bouncy kind. The boys just laughed at me and then realizing I was serious about not wanting to cross, offered some words of encouragement. “You can do it, Mom!” Not wanting to look like a wimp I decided to put on a brave face and make my way slowly across. Thank goodness no was behind us. Once we got to the other side, I realized it wasn’t as scary as I thought it was going to be and it was actually pretty easy to cross.

So, with the barrel bridge out of the way, we decided to head to the playground area. Noah had fun climbing and playing for a while. Nick explored for a bit but then came down to wait with DH and I.

Although, I didn’t get any pictures we made our way over to Aunt Polly’s for a bit and then decided that although we were having fun, that it was time to leave our relaxing retreat and head back. We had fastpasses for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to use and we couldn’t wait!

We made our way over to the dock to wait for our raft.

Honestly, I can’t say enough good things about Tom Sawyer Island! I don’t know why it took us so long to visit there. I guess I always thought it would take a huge chunk of time out of our day and it really didn’t at all. It was nice to get away from the crowds for bit.

A short raft ride later, we were saying goodbye to Tom Sawyer Island for this trip and heading over to ride one of our very favorite rides….Big Thunder Mountain Railroad!!

Up Next— Hold on tight!!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #98
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy to hear that you all enjoyed Tom Sawyer Island. Like you said, it's a good place to get away from the crowded park for a while. And, the views are pretty too!

When you mentioned Aunt Polly's, it reminded me of the days when it used to be open seasonally and we would buy ice cream there.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #99
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

I think we'll have to give TSI another chance. When I went for the first time last year, Ariana went one way and Demetri went the other in the fort. Ariana was in a "I'm not listening to you" mood and I spent most of the time there trying to corral us back together. Then I just wanted the heck out of Dodge.

This trip with George we'll be one kid a piece, much more manageable.

Good for you on the barrel bridge! There were more people on it when we crossed it and it was really tilting off to the side. I remember thinking Disney wouldn't let us fall in.... would they?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #100
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

LOVE TSI.. the bathroom in the fort was a sanctuary last year in August..coldest bathroom ever..lol

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #102
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Yay, glad you guys finally made it over to Tom Sawyer Island! It's not something we do often but it is fun to wander around. I actually decided to read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer earlier this year because of TSI, haha!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #103
solana131
DIS Veteran

The Island is so much fun! I was kinda bummed when I saw how tightly they pack you on the rafts...thought there would be too many people over there to have fun. But it's kinda like rope drop...it looks bad, when they are all bottlenecked up, but they spread out quickly. I think we only saw a couple other people our whole time on the island. You're right, it's nice to get away from the crowds for a few minutes. And there are some great shots from over there

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #104
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Hi Angie, I didn't realize it had been so long since I had commented...that's what happens when I read updates at work!

Yeah for riding Dumbo - I'm sure it will get harder to get the boys on that as time goes by. That whole area looks amazing, I can't wait to see it on person.

Great pictures from TSI!! I never plan that in anywhere but it looked like a great escape from the heat and crowds.

Finally, congrats on starting the C25K! Good for you! Ella and I tried it last year but we both struggled a bit when it got to the point of running 5 minutes before a walk interval - I don't remember which week it was. Anyways, it at least got me into the habit of getting out 3 times a week and then I came up with my own plan to get me to now where I do intervals of 3 minutes run/1 minute walk. I was never an athlete by any means but I enjoy my running and that I'm improving my fitness level. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #105
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm so glad you loved TSI! I agree, it's really a little oasis away from the park craziness. That cave is DARK! Fun and perfect for little (and big) boys. The views are gorgeous.
I'm so happy that we decided to check out TSI! It was a lot of fun! The boys have mentioned it more than once since we've been home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'm so happy to hear that you all enjoyed Tom Sawyer Island. Like you said, it's a good place to get away from the crowded park for a while. And, the views are pretty too!

When you mentioned Aunt Polly's, it reminded me of the days when it used to be open seasonally and we would buy ice cream there.
The views from the island are so pretty!! It seemed like everywhere I looked there was another great photo op!

I don't know why I didn't get any pictures of Aunt Polly's. Noah must have been in a hurry to keep going.

Quote:
I think we'll have to give TSI another chance. When I went for the first time last year, Ariana went one way and Demetri went the other in the fort. Ariana was in a "I'm not listening to you" mood and I spent most of the time there trying to corral us back together. Then I just wanted the heck out of Dodge.

This trip with George we'll be one kid a piece, much more manageable.

Good for you on the barrel bridge! There were more people on it when we crossed it and it was really tilting off to the side. I remember thinking Disney wouldn't let us fall in.... would they?
Aww...you should give TSI another try. But, I can definitely see your point about the fort. There was a lot of small and dark places plus there were quite a few kids running around. It could definitely become overwhelming.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing about the barrel bridge just as I was stepping on it. "Gee...it must be safe...right? It's Disney after all."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: