Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #166
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Very cute course! It does look hot though. Someday we will make it to one of the courses, how fun to do something different!
It was such a cute course! The winter one looked great as well. The boys have already asked if we can do that one next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellajeansmom View Post
The mini-golf course looks so fun! Glad you had a good time despite the heat, it did look like there was not a lot of cool shade.
There really wasn't a lot of shade but we made the best of it. It was a fun time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Hey Angie,

Subbing on...

Liked reading about WinterSummerland... I have a guy that would love that...

I'm starting coach 2 5k as well... so good luck... I'm looking forward to running my first 5k... (but I'm only just beginning...)

I've been to Disney in summer-August and it really gets very hot-(that's when lots of people vacation though so I guess managing the heat is part of the whole thing...) -it can be really hard... I'm a Autumn person... right now is bliss time-October starts in 2 days... Even still Disney is Disney so there are good times to be had...

I agree that Tom Sawyer's Island is awesome-it's almost like this treasure...that only a few people know about...(relatively speaking...)

Main Street is the best... A little part of me wants to live there...
Hi! I'm so glad you joined in!

Good luck on running your first 5K! I have to admit I'm not doing as well as I hoped. I was doing great the first couple weeks but it's been cold and rainy here lately so I took a break last week. Hopefully, I can get back into this week though. I've really enjoyed running again.

I'm an Autumn person as well. I love it! Originally, we had tried to plan a trip this fall but we couldn't make it work with boy's school schedules. Maybe someday...I'd love to see MNSSHP and the F&W Festival!

However, July did work and despite the heat and crowds we had a really great trip. Of course, every moment wasn't perfect but we were in Disney so how can we complain.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #167
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

It's a beautiful night....

I thought I would do a quick real life update before I started my next trip update. As you know, we visited ‘Ohana for dinner for the first time this trip. Although, it got mixed reviews....a thumbs down from the boys but a thumbs up from DH and I. The one thing that we could all agree on was how yummy the dessert was and because of that I knew that I wanted to try to make it when we returned home. Well, it only took two months but I finally did it! The only thing I had been waiting on was the spiced rum. But, one night after seeing the recipe sitting there just waiting for me, I decided to just go ahead and make it without. If you are interested in the recipe, you can find it on the allears website. After looking over the recipe I decided to cut it in half which made more than enough for us. It ended up filling a 9x9 inch pan. Besides omitting the rum, I added crushed pineapple to the bread mixture. I really wanted to add coconut as well but Noah doesn’t like it but I think it would have definitely made it even better. Anyways, here is a pic of my dish all ready and waiting for me to devour.

It tasted just like the bread pudding at ‘Ohana. So good and so easy to make! Yum.
Okay, just wanted to share.... now back to the update!

“Oh this is the night, it's a beautiful night, and we call it bella notte.” (Lady and the Tramp)

When I left off, we had just finished a little mini-golf at Winter Summerland and were on our way back to Pop for the night for some relaxation. We planned to let the boys enjoy the arcade, do some shopping and just walk around the resort.

We arrived back at Pop and decided to head back to our room to rest. I turned on the television and watched Stacey for a bit before we decided to head back down to the food court to get something to eat. Since I neglected to take notes on this particular day I’m having a hard time remembering what we ordered. However, I think DH and I both decided on the Chicken Alfredo which we always enjoy and have to have on every trip. I believe Nick had a meatball sub because he had seen mine on the first night and wanted to give it a try. Lastly, Noah had either chicken nuggets or a PB & J sandwich. Hmm…I can’t remember. What I do remember is my dessert though. It was so cute I almost didn’t want to eat it. Just kidding.Seriously…though it was really good.

After dinner, DH decided to go back to the room to drop off our refillable mugs. While I took the boys over to the arcade so they play. I don’t know why but for some reason I didn’t take any pictures on this night. I think I just wanted to enjoy being at the resort without taking a picture of every little thing. Also, since this wasn’t our first time at Pop, I knew I had a lot of pictures around the resort that I could share with you when I got to this evening.

After saying goodbye to DH, we made our way through the gift shop and over to the arcade.

I walked around a bit while the boys were playing but eventually settled down on the bench until DH met back up with us. The boys love the arcade and could be in there forever if we let them. Once DH arrived, I decided to wander back over to the gift shop and look around. I was trying to find a cute shirt to wear on our MK day later in the week but hadn’t found anything that I really liked yet. I did find a really cute mug but decided to wait since I knew we would be walking around the resort later on.

After browsing for a while I met back up with DH and the boys and finally talked them into going for a walk.

We spotted a few of our favorites memory boxes before we made our way outside….

Since I don’t have any pictures of this night I thought I would share some of the ones I have taken on previous trips.

Heading outside into the 60’s section of the resort and looking towards the Hippy Dippy Pool.

Walking around the Hippy Dippy Pool-

Then moving over to the 50’s section of the resort- (we stayed in this section on our last trip (2010) and even though our room overlooked the pool, it was still really quiet.)

Continued in next post.......

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #168
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

It's a beautiful night...(continued)

Continued from previous post--

Next, we made our way over near the 70’s section- We stayed in this section on our 2009 trip with my parents. It’s actually very convenient to the main hall and the food court. The only thing we didn’t like was that our room was right outside the Twister board which made it very noisy at night as many people apparently stopped to play when they got back from the parks late at night.

Playground near the 70’s-

A few pictures of the back and front of the lobby/food court

Lastly, a few of the 80’s and 90’s sections-

After walking around the resort, it was starting to get late but the boys wanted to check out the gift shop again. They were both determined to spend their souvenir money but still had no idea what they wanted to get. Well…actually Nick was looking for hat and had seen one he liked but couldn’t remember where he had seen it. After a quick check, we realized it wasn’t at Pop.

Before we had made our way back to the gift shop we had stopped and picked up our refillable mugs again so we could fill them and grab a snack before we went back to our room.

I ended up with this yummy treat—

(picture courtesy of disneyfoodblog)

The Mickey bar is a must have for me every trip!

Despite, not really doing anything that night besides hanging around the resort, we had a really great time. We don't normally plan a whole day off because we would probably go stir crazy. But, an evening free was just what we needed, especially since we would be getting up bright and early again the next morning for EMH at Hollywood Studios.

Up Next— Look at the people! A change of plans….again.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #169
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

The golf course looks so cute! Sorry about the heat, but glad you enjoyed it!

Yumm...that bread pudding looks delicious. Nice job!

Lovely trip around the resort, as usual. If we are ever able to stay at a value resort (with 5 of us it just doesn't work out), it would be POP.

A night off is sometimes just what you need to rejuvenate and get ready for the rest of the vacation. Sounds like a perfect plan!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #170
solana131
DIS Veteran

Great update! It's always nice to have some down-time "scheduled in". I really wanted to make it over to POP this July to check it out for future trips...but we just didn't have time with only a 5 night trip. Next time...

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #171
JDailey
Mouseketeer

That bread pudding looks so yummy!! Still reading along and enjoying the report very much.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #173
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
The golf course looks so cute! Sorry about the heat, but glad you enjoyed it!

Yumm...that bread pudding looks delicious. Nice job!

Lovely trip around the resort, as usual. If we are ever able to stay at a value resort (with 5 of us it just doesn't work out), it would be POP.

A night off is sometimes just what you need to rejuvenate and get ready for the rest of the vacation. Sounds like a perfect plan!
We enjoyed mini-golf and we definitely have plans to do it again. (Just in a cooler time of year next time)

We really wanted to try someplace different this trip but Pop had so much going for it, with the refurbished rooms, mini fridge and a quick walk over to AoA.

A night off was just what we needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Great update! It's always nice to have some down-time "scheduled in". I really wanted to make it over to POP this July to check it out for future trips...but we just didn't have time with only a 5 night trip. Next time...
Thanks! I agree! On our 2010 trip, there was no down time because we only went for 5 days and I had packed so much in. This trip, I made a point to at least have an evening free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDailey View Post
That bread pudding looks so yummy!! Still reading along and enjoying the report very much.
Thanks! Glad you're still reading along.

The bread pudding turned out so good! The boys have already been asking me to make it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Your bread pudding looks delish and it sounds like it was a nice relaxing evening, just what you all needed!
It was a great evening and definitely needed! We are so used to going in April when it's cooler that the heat really wore us down this trip. I'm really glad we scheduled in a night to rest!!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #174
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

thanks for the golf review, looks fun, we just have always skipped due to time and the need for R and R. I agree, multiple Mickey bars for me each trip (as well as the rice krispy treats of all types!) Ok, that bread pudding looks amazing!!! I will for sure try it now! Good ideas on the pineapple and coconut too! I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the great TR so far and sharing the magic!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #175
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a relaxing day! Mini golf looked fun too. We haven't really played mini golf but the boys have started golfing with Tim. They go to a par 3 course in our area so I bet they'd like mini golf. I'll keep that in mind for future trips.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #176
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
thanks for the golf review, looks fun, we just have always skipped due to time and the need for R and R. I agree, multiple Mickey bars for me each trip (as well as the rice krispy treats of all types!) Ok, that bread pudding looks amazing!!! I will for sure try it now! Good ideas on the pineapple and coconut too! I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the great TR so far and sharing the magic!
Yum! It doesn't feel like my trip is complete without a Mickey bar!! Oh...and how could I forget the rice krispy treats! Aww...I could really go for one right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Sounds like a relaxing day! Mini golf looked fun too. We haven't really played mini golf but the boys have started golfing with Tim. They go to a par 3 course in our area so I bet they'd like mini golf. I'll keep that in mind for future trips.
It sounds like your boys would enjoy playing mini-golf. It was a lot of fun and actually really easy to get to. If it wasn't so hot it would have been a great break from the parks. Since we usually go in April, when it's cooler we may try it again then.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #177
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Hooray for Hollywood!

July 14, 2012
Disney’s Hollywood Studios

"Hooray for Hollywood!" (Hollywood Blvd. Area Music)

While planning our trip, this was one of the days that I was looking most forward to, which actually surprised me since I have always had a love/hate thing for Hollywood Studios. Okay…not actually hate because I enjoy the park but I would have to say out of the four parks, it's always been my least favorite. The layout has always seemed a little confusing to me. It’s the one park that no matter how many times we’ve been I still need a map to navigate my way around. However, I have come to realize that over the years, I have grown to really like this park. A lot. There are so many great attractions! Toy Story Mania, Beauty and The Beast, Tower of Terror and Fantasmic just to name a few. We were hoping to experience a lot of new attractions this trip as well and I was so excited!

The day started like most others, we woke up bright and early. No sleeping in on Saturday for us! We had EMH at Hollywood Studios to get to and as everyone knows it’s imperative to get to the park as early as possible if you have any chance of riding Toy Story Mania without waiting forever. It didn’t take long before we were up, showered and dressed for the day. Well….Nick was dragging a little. You know how I said that my opinion had completely changed about this park over the years. Unfortunately, Nick’s hasn’t. However, he did realize the importance of the Toy Story Mania Dash so it didn’t take too much persuasion to lure him to breakfast.

Oh…how I love early mornings at Pop Century. It’s so quiet and peaceful. What’s even better is the food court. There is hardly anyone there. There is space to move around and we can grab what we want easily without bumping into anyone. Best of all, there are so many tables to choose from.

Anyway, after enjoying our muffins, fruit, coffee and juice it was time to make our way to the bus stop.

A short bus ride later….we had arrived!

My attempts at the Hollywood studios sign as we were waiting to go in.

It was at this point that I began to look around and started to freak out a little. There were a lot of people waiting to go in. I started having flashbacks to our early morning at Magic Kingdom and arriving to see the huge line for Space Mountain. The over planner in me kept thinking…if there were that many people waiting for SM, imagine the people for TSM. Our original plan was to ride stand-by and then Noah and I were going to head over to ride ToT and RNRC while DH and Nick went over to Star Tours. But, at the last minute we decided that Nick and DH would get a fastpass instead while Noah and I made our way over to Sunset Blvd. It sounded like a good plan.

Unfortunately I would regret the decision a few minutes later.

When we finally made it through the turnstiles, I handed our tickets to DH and Nick and they began their mad dash. While Noah and I followed behind….a little bit slower taking pictures along the way.

When we turned off on Sunset Blvd I asked Noah where he wanted to head first, Tower of Terror (a favorite of both of ours) or RNRC which would be new for us. He sounded a little bit hesitant to ride RNRC first but told me he would think about it on the way there.

Aww….we love Fantasmic! Definitely a favorite of ours! We were hoping to see it later that evening.

After talking about it for a few minutes, we decided to head here first-

Except…...as we were approaching the ride a CM was standing in front telling everyone there would be a delayed opening.

Huh? We finally got up the nerve to ride this ride after 5 trips and there’s a delayed opening? I was definitely disappointed but Noah actually looked a little relieved.

So, we turned around and made our way to Tower of Terror instead.

Although, DH has made it very clear he would never ride. He did want me to at least get some pictures of the inside for him to see.

As we inched our way closer to the elevator we were both so excited to ride again. The first time we rode was at night and it was very cool to look out at the park all lit up. However, the ride itself wasn’t really that scary or at least not as bad as we thought it would be. But….this time….wow! So scary but so much fun!!

After our amazing ride on ToT, we decided to head back over to RNRC to see if it had opened up yet.

Nope.

This was when I started really regretting having DH grab fastpasses for TSM because if he hadn’t we would have been able to get one for RNRC. Plus, it didn’t help that when I texted him about what had happened , he texted me back that we could have easily went through the stand-by line on Toy Story, that everyone was in the fastpass line.

We decided to meet up at the Sorcerer Hat since our fastpasses wouldn’t be ready for a little while.

A look around….

As Noah and I sat on the bench waiting for DH and Nick to find us, Noah spotted Goofy and Pluto being led out for a meet and greet. He immediately asked for his autograph book which actually surprised me since we have met them many, many times before. But, he was insistent because he hadn’t gotten their autographs nor had a picture taken with them this trip. Pretty good logic if I do say so myself. So, we made our way over to wait in line. There were only a few other people in front of us so we didn't have long to wait. As it was just about ready to be our turn, I spotted DH and Nick making their way over and I motioned for Nick to join us. At first he resisted but then quickly changed his mind. After all, Goofy is his favorite character!
Soon…we were up!

I was sad that the sun seemed to block out Pluto a little bit in my picture. But, happy the photo pass pictures turned out better. Here are the pictures from the calendar I ordered from Disney.

Aww…it was great seeing Goofy and Pluto again. Okay….maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing that RNRC had a delayed opening. This “go with the flow” thing was starting to work for us.

Up Next- Watch out for the Alien and Visiting Oz

Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #178
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

I agree with your love/hate thing for DHS. I've always felt the same way.

Stink that RNRC was not open! But glad ToT was fantastic! Love that ride...we've never done it at night, but it sounds like we should try it!

I love when the older kids still love to meet the characters and embrace their inner child! Makes me !
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #179
solana131
DIS Veteran

I have a new found appreciation for DHS. We just breezed through it in Feb and 20 years ago it wasn't much. But this last trip with just my teenage cousin and no kids to worry about, it was much more appealing. Still haven't been on TSM (and don't really care to) and haven't seen Fantasmic yet. But we got to ride ToT, RnR, and StarTours for the first time. Yep, definitely growing on me Love all your pictures of it....I don't think I have a single pic from that day other than my Photopass.

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: