Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #136
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Yay Animal Kingdom! I'm glad you were able to spend some more time there than you had originally planned. I just love it there!

Sounds like a pretty good morning so far, despite the tour groups.
Me too! Despite the tour groups, it really was such a fun day! I'm glad that we were able to spend more time there than we originally planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
I love AK - always wished we could slow down and enjoy it a bit more - but always rushing from big ride to the next. My DS13 hates Dinosaur - and he is a thrill ride junky - it's just SO LOUD and he has ear/hearing issues. I find it so rough. But of all the kid, my DD loves it (I think it's fun for her to 'love it' when her big brother doesn't!)

Your boys are adorable (I'm partial to cute boys since I have 2 similar ages as yours), great smiles! Enjoying the reports!
Thank you!! That's so nice of you to say! I think they are pretty cute too.

It's nice to be able to slow down in AK if you can. There's so much to see. But, I can definitely see your point about rushing from ride to ride. That happens to us a lot too.

Isn't it funny how different siblings are? I know that most rides my youngest son enjoys (mostly thrill rides), my oldest has no desire to ride. I doubt he'll want to ride Dinosaur again. But, it's all Noah has talked about since we've been home. He loved it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Animal Kingdom has grown on me.... the scenery is incredible and it's a great park to stroll around and just take everything in - and take lots of pictures!

I've never been on Primeval Whirl but I think we'll put Dinosaur back in our plans for this trip. It's been a while!

Sorry the tour groups were a bummer on your day.

I agree! Animal Kingdom has some great picture taking opportunities. It's such a pretty park. I think one of my favorite things we've done was to just walk around the Tree of Life looking and taking pictures of all the carvings. Unfortunately, we haven't done that in so long. I really need to put that in our plans for next time!

Really? No Primeval Whirl? The boys make me ride it every time!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #137
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Good move on breakfast in the room. First thing in the morning, crowded food courts are not my idea of a nice start to the day!

Fun morning so far and great job on Nick trying Dinosaur and surviving. It's funny, I finally tried Primeval Whirl for the 1st time this summer.

If you can take the time and slow down and really enjoy AK, it's magical. I've always felt like it's gotten short shift on our trips until this summer.
I'm so glad that we decided to have breakfast in the room that morning. I really wish we would have done it more on the trip. I think we are going to try and do it more frequently on our next trip. It was definitely more relaxing than dealing with all those crowds first thing in the morning.

I really love exploring AK. I think it's such a great park. Unfortunately, it's not a favorite of DH or Nick so we never spend as much time as I would like to.

I'm glad to hear you were able to spend more time there this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'm glad to hear that you guys were able to keep one step ahead of the tour groups. I always get heart palpitations when I see those dreaded flags or dozens of folks in matching shirts. From the looks of your pictures, it doesn't look like Dinoland was all that busy.
I couldn't believe the amount of tour groups in the park that morning. Definitely more than we had seen at any park on our trip so far. Luckily, it got better as the day went on. I think it bothered me so much because the park wasn't that busy so we should have been able to relax and take our time but because of them we were always on alert which was really frustrating.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #138
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Remember fish are friends, not food!!

"Sure we could eat ya whole,but we have self-control,we know that fish are friends, not food." Finding Nemo the Musical

When I left off, we enjoyed a relaxing breakfast in our room, arrived at Animal Kingdom, dodged a few tour groups to make our way over to take a spin on Primeval Whirl, and traveled back in time to out run a few dinosaurs, spotted Pluto and a crocodile. Whew!

The boys were itching to ride EE much to my delight. So, we decided to make our way over to Asia.

We stopped to admire the scenery.

We passed the monkeys

One courtesy of Noah
Almost to our destination—

Yay! We made it!

Unfortunately, the wait time was pretty long already so we decided to grab fastpasses and make our way over to wait for the first showing of one of our favorite musicals at Disney.

If you have read any of my previous TR’s you would know how much we love Finding Nemo the Musical. Finding Nemo is one of my all-time favorite Pixar movies anyway. I could watch it again and again. What can I say? It makes me happy! Needless to say because of that reason, it has become a must-do for us at Disney!

As we made our way over to the theater it was about 10:30 or so at this point. I was determined to sit closer to the stage this time. We got in line…..well actually we got behind the one person who was waiting. DH told us to go sit down and he would stand in line for us. No one else was around and the lady in front of us was doing the same thing for her family.

We settled down on a nearby bench and I realized how awesome the view of EE was from there.

This is how Noah felt about having to wait in the hot sun.

It wasn’t that he didn’t want to see the musical; he just didn’t want to have to wait for it.

We only ended up sitting for a few minutes before we joined DH. I knew that people would start lining up soon.

It wasn’t long before a CM came out to take down the rope so we could head inside the building. They ended up taking the family in front of us in first. So, that left us at the front of the line. We basically had our choice of any seat up front. Yay! Mission accomplished.

We made our way up close to the front and sat down. I seated Noah right by the side of the stage because I knew he would get a kick out of the performers going by him.

After spotting Nemo swimming around in the bubbles, it was time for the show to begin.
A few of our favorite parts of the show…

During the part when Bruce comes out and Dory get snapped with the mask and begins to bleed. The music picked up and Bruce came down the center stage and dived right at Noah as he sang….

“I need some food
I need some food
I need some food!!!”

Noah was so surprised and jumped back. We all laughed so hard. It was so funny to see Noah’s reaction.

After enjoying Finding Nemo, it was time to make our way back out to use our fastpasses for EE.

Since, DH doesn’t like these types of rides. He sat out with whatever boy wasn’t riding at the moment. Which meant I got to ride twice! Yay! Love this ride! It was as great as ever! Noah snapped a few pictures apparently, while they were waiting for Nick and I to be done our ride.

Sorry, no pictures from me. I’m terrified that I’m going to lose my camera on the ride!(which is just my luck)

Oh…I almost forgot Nick and I had the funniest two boys in front of us during our ride on EE. They looked like they were probably about Nick’s age maybe a little older and it was obviously their very first time riding and they were so funny to listen to. All we kept hearing was…..AAHHHHH!! BEST RIDE EVER!! And then a whole bunch of hysterical laughing, it was hilarious. Apparently, they really enjoyed the ride.

After looking at our picture, we met up with DH and Noah in the gift shop and decided to pick up some Chip and Dale’s trail mix. It was just what we needed to tide us over (or so we thought) as we made our way over to Africa to check the wait time for Kilimanjaro Safari.

At some point on the way over…I snapped this blurry "I spy" picture of the Tree of Life.

Again, the wait time was longer than we wanted to wait so we grabbed fastpasses and made our way over to Pizzafari for some lunch.
Since, this was our first time eating there; I really had no idea where it was so I checked the map. It didn’t appear to be too far from Africa. So, I told the guys to follow me. The whole way there all I heard was…

”Are we there yet?”
“I thought you said it was close.”
“It must be coming up soon…right?”
“It’s sooooo hot!”

Can you tell I had a few boys who needed to eat….DH included! I knew it wasn’t really that far but everyone was hot, grouchy and needed something in their stomach. That little bit of trail mix we shared just wasn’t cutting it. Plus it was so crowded and it felt like we were going in the complete opposite direction of everyone else as they were running to Africa.

Let me just say, we all breathed a sigh of relief when we saw that Pizzafari sign.

Awww…….food and air-conditioning! The perfect combination!

Up Next…a little lunch and our 2 week safari ride.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #139
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Yay for getting seats so close to the front of the Nemo show stage! As you may remember, it's not our favorite show so it's been a while since we've seen it.

Isn't it neat to hear others' conversations before and after they ride a new attraction! I love hearing the comments.

Ummmmm Ummmmm, I could go for some Pizzafari right now.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #140
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

I love hearing other people's reactions to first times on rides. Almost makes it new again for you too Nice seats for Nemo!

Oh and yeah, if you're taking orders.... I could go for some Pizzafari right now too
Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #141
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Yay for getting seats so close to the front of the Nemo show stage! As you may remember, it's not our favorite show so it's been a while since we've seen it.

Isn't it neat to hear others' conversations before and after they ride a new attraction! I love hearing the comments.

Ummmmm Ummmmm, I could go for some Pizzafari right now.
We were so happy to finally get a front seat at the Nemo show! I'm glad that we gave Pizzafari a try. We were really impressed!

Quote:
I love hearing other people's reactions to first times on rides. Almost makes it new again for you too Nice seats for Nemo!

Oh and yeah, if you're taking orders.... I could go for some Pizzafari right now too
I completely agree about other people's reactions! We were laughing right along with them. It made the ride even more enjoyable!

Yum! Pizzafari....I wish! Although...I am making homemade pizza tonight. Just talking about it made me hungry for some pizza.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have my next update ready to go and was so proud of myself! Two days in a row.......except photobucket isn't cooperating and my images aren't showing up. Ugh! I'll try again later. Off to pick up the boy's from school.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #142
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

There's far too much to take in here....

“There's far too much to take in here….More to find than can ever be found.” Lion King

When I left off, we had just conquered EE, watched Noah get almost eaten by Bruce, grabbed fastpasses for the safari and made our way over to Pizzafari.

I can’t begin to tell you how happy we were to see that sign for Pizzafari and even happier to walk inside and feel the blast of cold air hit us in the face. The CM handed us a menu as we got into line. DH decided to try the Hot Italian-style sandwich with chips and a strawberry parfait. Nick and Noah decided on the Pepperoni Pizza w/ Caesar salad. Noah was very happy when they told him he could have the regular size pizza instead of the small pizza that comes with the kid’s meal. Lastly, I chose the Vegetable pizza with the salad and chocolate mousse for dessert.

After getting our meal, we made our way into the upside down room. The boys…being boys loved this room. The walls were covered with monkeys, snakes, and bats hanging from the ceiling. I thought for sure that I had gotten a picture but apparently I didn’t because it’s not on my camera. It was a very cool restaurant though. We really enjoyed our meal. DH loved his sandwich and how can you go wrong with kids and pizza. The boys gobbled their meal right up! All and all we were very happy with our choice to dine here.

Once we were finished eating, it was time to head back to Africa for the safari ride. Everyone was in a much better mood this time around! As we walked over to the fastpass entrance, we were happy to see that they were ready for use! Perfect timing!

Let the safari begin….

Hippos!

It was about this time in the ride, that Noah started becoming really frustrated with taking pictures. Honestly, I love the challenge of trying to get pictures on this ride but I’ve done it on every trip and this was his first time. I could definitely see how it could be frustrating for him because he was trying to get the perfect picture and then the truck would move and he would miss it. Anyway, he got so mad that he gave the camera to Nick and told him that he could do it.

He sat and pouted for a few minutes until he saw these.

They definitely perked him back up. He was able to relax and enjoy the rest of the ride.

I spy……..

A giraffe! My favorite! Unfortunately, they weren’t very close today and this is the best picture I could get.

The elephants were out though…..

I don’t know why I always get this angle…

A little better….

Nick did much better than I did

I got this one though….Aww….love this picture!!

I think this one is definitely my favorite though….I got the mickey shaped island, the birds and an elephant in the background.

Nick got this at some point. I’m not sure when.

And that was the end of our safari ride. Sadly, the Lion wasn’t out but it was still a great ride. The one thing we missed very much though was the “little red” storyline. It just wasn’t the same. It was the first thing Nick commented on while we were getting off the ride. “Mom, they forgot to rescue the little elephant.” He was sad when I told him they weren’t doing that anymore. But, on the bright side…we are looking forward to seeing the zebras on our next trip!

After our safari ride, we decided that we were going to head out for the day. We had accomplished everything that we had wanted to do this trip at AK. (with the exception of the parade…which we will get to one of these days!)

We wandered through a few gift shops and then made our way through the oasis.

We waited for Noah to get a picture--

Then we made our way out--

One last picture...since I didn't get it on the way in.

Good-bye until next time....

We made our way over to the bus stop and hopped on the first bus that pulled up which happened to be a POR bus. Although, it would have been nice to visit there especially since we are seriously thinking about trying it for our next trip. It wasn’t our destination on that particular day.

The plan was to head to Disney’s Winter Summerland to play some miniature golf!

Up Next- A little bit of rain, a little bit of sun and a whole lot of fun!!!

Last edited by Angies1274; 09-18-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #143
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Wait... they didn't replace the rescue of the baby elephant with another story? I was looking forward to hearing what the new story was!

You got some very nice safari pics... I like the one where the giraffes are trying to blend in to their surroundings
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #144
solana131
DIS Veteran

Yay! For Pizzafari....love that place.

I agree with you that the safari is just not the same without the whole "little red" story line. It is still great and all, but it is just like any other zoo safari (Busch Gardens, etc). What Disney does best is tell a story with their rides. It just wasn't as good. I think they could've found a way to incorporate the Zebras without taking the story out of the ride .

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #145
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

I am a little behind...okay a lot behind but I can't say much on your July 12th and July 13th days because...Holy Cow!!!!! We were practically in each others footpaths!!!!!! I looked and searched and can't believe we aren't in your pictures!! If I ever get to those days look hard in my pictures for your family! I mean seriously we were step for step at least in portions!!

I love EMH at Mk because the crowds are so low and you can accomplish so much! I loved the TSI pictures because I have not been there since I was 12 so I hope to make it in October!! Sorry Ohana got mix reviews but like we discussed before...I have got to get that recipe out and try making that dessert!!

Weren't the tour groups grand!? My TR is about to take a turn towards those lovely crowds!

I loved your pictures!! You have some beautiful ones of the castle! I was so far behind that it is kind of hard to not miss something I read!! Maybe I can keep caught up now!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #146
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wait... they didn't replace the rescue of the baby elephant with another story? I was looking forward to hearing what the new story was!

You got some very nice safari pics... I like the one where the giraffes are trying to blend in to their surroundings
They hadn't replaced it when we were there. Of course, we loved seeing all the animals but it just wasn't the same without the "little red" storyline. We did get to see the new zebra habitat though which was really cool. I think that is supposed to open sometime this fall...right?

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get any good close-ups of the giraffes. But, I'm still so happy that we got to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Yay! For Pizzafari....love that place.

I agree with you that the safari is just not the same without the whole "little red" story line. It is still great and all, but it is just like any other zoo safari (Busch Gardens, etc). What Disney does best is tell a story with their rides. It just wasn't as good. I think they could've found a way to incorporate the Zebras without taking the story out of the ride .
Exactly! It was still a great ride but it was like any other zoo safari. We really missed that storyline within the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
I am a little behind...okay a lot behind but I can't say much on your July 12th and July 13th days because...Holy Cow!!!!! We were practically in each others footpaths!!!!!! I looked and searched and can't believe we aren't in your pictures!! If I ever get to those days look hard in my pictures for your family! I mean seriously we were step for step at least in portions!!

I love EMH at Mk because the crowds are so low and you can accomplish so much! I loved the TSI pictures because I have not been there since I was 12 so I hope to make it in October!! Sorry Ohana got mix reviews but like we discussed before...I have got to get that recipe out and try making that dessert!!

Weren't the tour groups grand!? My TR is about to take a turn towards those lovely crowds!

I loved your pictures!! You have some beautiful ones of the castle! I was so far behind that it is kind of hard to not miss something I read!! Maybe I can keep caught up now!
Hi!

Wow! I'm so excited to read your updates on the 12th and 13th now. I'll definitely keep a look out to see if we're in any of your pics.

I completely agree about EMH at MK! We love them! You can get so much done in that first hour.

I'm glad we tried Ohana. Although, it didn't get rave reviews from the boys, I think they would be willing to go back even if it's just for the dessert! Which I finally made last night and it turned out so good! The only thing I was missing was the spiced rum but even without it, it still tasted just like the bread pudding at Ohana. It makes a lot too! So, I'll probably pull it out again tonight for dessert.

Ugh! Tour groups. We noticed them so much on our MK days especially in the areas of the park that can get really congested like Frontierland. It was so hard to get around them!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #147
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
I'm glad we tried Ohana. Although, it didn't get rave reviews from the boys, I think they would be willing to go back even if it's just for the dessert! Which I finally made last night and it turned out so good! The only thing I was missing was the spiced rum but even without it, it still tasted just like the bread pudding at Ohana. It makes a lot too! So, I'll probably pull it out again tonight for dessert.

Ugh! Tour groups. We noticed them so much on our MK days especially in the areas of the park that can get really congested like Frontierland. It was so hard to get around them!
I feel like a slacker! My recipe is still tacked on the fridge just waiting on me! Maybe you will inspire me to attempt it real soon!!

The MK tour group situation in Frontierland gets a focus in my TR!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #148
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Oh man....I'm playing catch up again!

But..I'm back on track now and so excited that you were able to spend the whole day at AK!

WOW...this was a trip of firsts! I'm so glad you loved Tom Sawyer Island! It is one of my boys' favorite places at the MK and it always surprises me when people say they don't go there. It's a little boy's dream...and with all the princess and fairy themed stuff everywhere else, it's a no brainer for us to visit there each trip.

Good for Noah for riding HM and Dinosaur! He was quite the daredevil this trip.

Oh...and do I even need to comment about the Carousel of Progress!! LOL! My boys surprised me too and it is now a MUST do on any MK day.

Really looking forward to hearing more about your trip!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #149
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Hi Angie . I know I haven't posted any comments on your report, but I still am here, reading right along!! Love your safari pictures, but I also get frustrated with trying to take the best shots! I know exactly how your son feels and I, too, can pout with the best of them. I just wanted to let you know I'm still here!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #150
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

great updates! What a wonderful time at Nemo, glad Noah didn't get eaten by Bruce!

Growly tummies make for cranky people and it's always worse when you are hot. Glad you found it and it had AC, and everyone liked their meal. Winner winner!

I didn't miss the little red storyline to be honest but didn't love seeing the construction, it was kind of an ugly end to the ride, visually. I"ll be curious to see how it looks in Oct. YAY for a double dip on EE!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: