Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #91
czycropper
DIS Veteran

My DD and I are in count down mode...she starts two weeks from tomorrow. Tomorrow it's the Freshman Orientation at the her high school so the bus will be picking her up then they are at the school until 11:30 and the freshman parent orientation is that night. She can't decide on what to wear but she's looking forward to get her schedule and see who is in her classes!

The other good thing is that the day after (Friday) we leave for the Jersey shore till Labor Day....that's what I'm also counting down

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #92
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Tomorrow is DD's orientation as well (until 11 or so). She has her outfit all picked out and a friend is sleeping over tonight. They will walk to school tomorrow together. I hope everything will be wonderful
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #93
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

My DD starts two weeks from tomorrow also

She has registration next Tuesday and Orientation on Wednesday.

I don't think she has even thought about what she is going to wear on her first day (I think she is in denial).

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #94
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

DD13 was off to school this morning (orientation). She got her schedule, and they did put her in Honors Geometry despite her C in Algebra last year (she texted me because she knew I was worried about that-particularly since I decided not to fight whatever placement they decided on). I hope that works out. Can't wait to hear everything when she gets home.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #95
piperdown
Mouseketeer

Tonight is "meet the teacher" and DD will get her schedule and visit the various classrooms.

However, I'm anticipating that some changes will need to be made. She decided in the summer not to try out for volleyball, which means taking athletics out of her schedule. We notified the counselor, but I won't be surprised if the change wasn't made.

She's very bright, but up until last year she never really focused on her grades. She was always more As than Bs, but last year she decided to buckle down, and managed all As for the entire year.

It appears her focus is going to carry into HS. She informed me that she is planning on all As this year because she wants to earn her letterman's jacket her freshman year.

It's all or nothing with this kid I've gone from nagging her about living up to her potential to encouraging her not to set her expectations too high. Her new course load is challenging, and I'd hate to see her burn out her freshman year.

piperdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #96
CrazyCakeLady
Earning My Ears

DD14 started high school earlier this week. Her school is set up more like a college campus than a traditional high school. She has six classes in five different buildings and no two consecutive classes in the same building!

I suggested to my fashionista that she exchange that cute pair of wedges she just bought for a pair of running shoes so she could get to all her classes on time. She was not amused.

She's a little stressed out, but it seems to be going well enough.
CrazyCakeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #97
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

DD's school had its open house last night- we got to meet her teachers and see where her classes are located. Wow, am I glad she is good with directions- I got very lost in the halls. She says she already knows her way around, though. Only 4 more days!!
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #98
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Hope everything goes great for those whose newbie high schoolers are starting now!

From the sounds of some of your kids' schedules, I am really liking the block schedule! DD only has 4 classes a semester (some semesters she will have more with a few electives being 9 week classes). She has plenty of "traveling" time between classes, lol.

DD is still loving it. Its such a change from the jr. high she attended! These kids feel like they finally have a little freedom!

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #99
czycropper
DIS Veteran

I wish the BoE had approved the block schedule for this year, but it's up for another vote. Our current superintendent introduced it at his former district and I have friends there and they love it!

My DD got her schedule this morning and she's all over....starts & ends in one building (upstairs) which at least has a/c but the other classes are in the main building upstairs and down. Her bus lets her off in the complete opposite side of her homeroom. She picks up her bus for the G&T Dance program in front of the building of her homeroom - which is a bit of a bonus. She's all excited that she already knows lots of the kids in her Honors classes!

Now, I just need to get through the freshman parent orientation tonight

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #100
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Took my son to Back to School Night last night. He is thrilled with everything. As a homeschooling Mom I felt a little sad, but I know that this child needs to be around people all the time, and this is the best way to meet that need. He has met lots of kids already through pre-season events with the soccer teams, so he was talking to lots of kids as we moved through the halls. I think he's going to love it!
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #101
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

DD's school does block scheduling, so she has 4 classes each semester. Her freshman schedule:

Fall-
Honors English 1
PE
Latin 1
Webpage Design

Spring-
Computer Programming
Honors American History
Honors Geometry
Honors Biology

Fall semester will ease her into HS, then spring will be the killer! She is also going out for the school soccer team in the spring- she will be busy the second half of the year.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #102
indimom
Are We There Yet?

How did I miss this thread??

My oldest (DD) started High School two weeks ago. It was an interesting beginning. She was nervous and distracted when we arrived at the high school for freshman orientation and proceeded to slam the car door on her thumb and broke it (finally lost the nail this week, boy is it pretty). Then, one day before school started she came down with poison ivy ON HER FACE! You could almost see the hand-shaped print where she must have spread the oils from her hand to her cheek and neck. She had a little mroe on her nose and forehead. I think she took care of any shyness/embarassment all on the first day. Luckily, it's a lot better now.

DD's school also has what they call block scheduling, but it's seven classes. They just have longer periods on T/Th and W/F. They go to all the classes on M. She's not a huge fan. She says its harder to keep track of her homework even with writing it down. And she doesn't like that the "boring" classes are so long.

Other than that, all is well. She realized pretty quickly that it's not much different than middle school, even though she has some older students in some of her classes.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #103
Goofy'slady
Life is short so I save for Disney trips and Coach purses!

We attended my DD's freshmen orientation last night and it was a huge turn out. There was lots of info packed into the evening about everything from classes to team sports and organizations. They administraion played games with the audience and gave a way prizes and all. My daughter was even able to catch up with friends she hadn't seen over the summer. It was a fun evening. Her official first day is this coming Monday the 27th.

Me, BF, DD14, DD7
Goofy'slady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #104
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Dd13 received her postcard invitation for freshman orientation today, also I received a hi new high schooler parent and student welcome to our school with a lst of sports and another list of clubs and organizations. Then I should be gettting my postcard for the parent orientation. Hope all of our 9th graders have a successful year!
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #105
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
My oldest (DD) started High School two weeks ago. It was an interesting beginning. She was nervous and distracted when we arrived at the high school for freshman orientation and proceeded to slam the car door on her thumb and broke it (finally lost the nail this week, boy is it pretty). Then, one day before school started she came down with poison ivy ON HER FACE! You could almost see the hand-shaped print where she must have spread the oils from her hand to her cheek and neck. She had a little mroe on her nose and forehead. I think she took care of any shyness/embarassment all on the first day. Luckily, it's a lot better now.

DD's school also has what they call block scheduling, but it's seven classes. They just have longer periods on T/Th and W/F. They go to all the classes on M. She's not a huge fan. She says its harder to keep track of her homework even with writing it down. And she doesn't like that the "boring" classes are so long.

Other than that, all is well. She realized pretty quickly that it's not much different than middle school, even though she has some older students in some of her classes.
Poor thing!

DS starts HS Monday. We went today and walked his schedule, so he's feeling pretty comfortable. He made varsity soccer which has been a big boost for him in feeling like he belongs.

We also have block scheduling with 4 classes per semester. The drawback I saw with DD was when she had an AP class in the fall as AP exams are in May.

Good luck to all the freshies!
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: