Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #76
CrazyCakeLady
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams View Post
Our cutoff date is 9/1. However, many families in our area, especially those with boys, "redshirt" their summer and even spring birthdays. DS's October birthday puts him in about the middle of the his class in terms of birthdays.
We're also in Atlanta and this is my experience as well. There was not a single boy in DD12's kindergarten class that hadn't turned 6 before school started! It was nuts. There were boys in her class who turned 7 before some of the girls even turned 6.

Back to the topic of rising freshmen, DD14 starts high school this month. I don't think it will be as huge of an adjustment for her because she is at a private school and is just moving from the JH to the HS on the same campus. There will be some different rules... mostly new privlidges, but I expect the transition to be relatively smooth.

My biggest issue will be getting her the specific supplies she needs when school starts because she doesn't start back until the week of 8/20 and the public schools around here start back 8/6. By the time we get her supply list, Target's back-to-school section will look like a war-torn country with very few survivors!
CrazyCakeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #77
czycropper
DIS Veteran

Well, yesterday my DD's guidance counselor called about her schedule since she's doing the Gifted & Talented Dance in the afternoon. So I know part of her schedule but the disappointing part is that she's not going to be able to take Biology this year and will wait to take it as a sophomore . But she will be able to get the Financial Literacy requirement out of the way her first semester, she has been put on the top of the list to take that one.

She'll have Geometry first thing at 7:30 (she won't be too happy about that one), Financial Literacy, Honors English and Honors History. She's doing Spanish II online. She's going to have her hands full with also dancing 2.5 hours a day after her academic courses, then once a week Debate Club and she still doing a couple of classes at her dance studio. She's also been asked to be on the high school newspaper staff (she did it in middle school)-the guidance counselor told me that we should be getting that letter by the end of the week. In our high school it's a teacher recommendation-her Honors English teacher is married to her 8th grade Adv. English teacher so it seems that the high school has already seen her articles. I didn't tell her that part so I can't wait to see her face

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #78
dismom9761
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCakeLady

My biggest issue will be getting her the specific supplies she needs when school starts because she doesn't start back until the week of 8/20 and the public schools around here start back 8/6. By the time we get her supply list, Target's back-to-school section will look like a war-torn country with very few survivors!
I have that problem also. My kids are in private school and don't start until 8/16. Public schools start Monday. I have tried to buy some of the things I think they will need but every year I have trouble finding supplies.
dismom9761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #79
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

We received a recorded call from the High School yesterday directing everyone to the school website. I told DD, who told me that: she has looked at the website already; there's no new information; please calm down...I have everything under control.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #80
Cinerbelle
Mouseketeer

My DD starts her first year of HS on 8/15. This year should be very interesting for her since my hubby is a teacher and the head varsity football coach at the same school. This could be tricky!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #81
snoodledoo
Loves Jiminy Cricket

So DD completed 3 days of school and made the volleyball team. All is going well so far and she's made some new friends. *HUGE sigh of relief*
Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #82
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoodledoo View Post
So DD completed 3 days of school and made the volleyball team. All is going well so far and she's made some new friends. *HUGE sigh of relief*
Congrats to your dd for making the team as well as having a smooth transition.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #83
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

DD finished her first week! No getting lost!

She seems to have had a great week and is really enjoying high school. Loves her classes and her teachers (so far anyway!) and is making a lot of new friends.

Hope everyone's new highschoolers have a great start!

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #84
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

DD14 starts HS in 10 days...tonight, she cleaned out her closet, and, either we bite the bullet and go shopping, or she goes to school naked. honestly, there's almost nothing left in it.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #85
dhcoffey
Home inspections keep the dh busy
I'm looking for all the inspiration I can get!

Well, haven't posted since I posted on Page 1 that my DD was terrified of starting high school. Yesterday was her first day and she dreaded getting out of the car. When I picked her up yesterday afternoon, I asked her how it went and her reply? AMAZING! Thank goodness the first day jitters are over and here's to a great school year

Heather

In memory of Morgan

In honor of Morgan
dhcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #86
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcoffey View Post
Well, haven't posted since I posted on Page 1 that my DD was terrified of starting high school. Yesterday was her first day and she dreaded getting out of the car. When I picked her up yesterday afternoon, I asked her how it went and her reply? AMAZING! Thank goodness the first day jitters are over and here's to a great school year

Heather
So glad she enjoyed her first day!

We have 2 weeks to go- I am frustrated with DD. She had to read just 1 book over the summer- a schoolwide assignment that they will use for not just English classes this year. And has she done it yet? NO!! Seems like the more I nag her to just read the darn thing, the more she digs her heels in and tells me "I got this, Mom- don't worry about it". Arrrgh!!

She will probably have to pull an all-nighter to get it done by the first day of school. And I will not be sympathetic when she is tired and cranky.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #87
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

How exciting to see a lot of your kids back in school. Mine will start in two weeks. She is getting more nervous as the day approaches. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #88
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

So, whose kiddos are back in school already? How is it going?
DD14 has 2 more weeks of summer and she is excited to start HS and be with her friends, but she is a bit nervous too.

Our church hosted a big party at Main Event yesterday afternoon for all of the incoming freshman and their families; I think she had a lot of fun. We a hosting a sleepover this weekend for several of her friends and she has “FISH Camp” next week which is freshman orientation at her HS. They do a half day program and let the students find all of their classrooms, meet teachers and fiddle with their lockers.

She has never been big on clothes shopping and has practically lived in denim and cotton since she started picking out her own clothing. Well, last week she made a shopping list of all of the clothing she wants! I hate to say that I am pleased, I LOVE shopping!!! We put a dent in it, but some of it is going to have to wait for her birthday in December. She wants 2 leather jackets and 3 pairs of boots. Good thing she has been doing some babysitting this summer! She is on the hook for the boot purchases.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #89
dismom9761
DIS Veteran

My kids start in Thursday. Still trying to finish the summer work. DS14 is getting a little nervous I think.
dismom9761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #90
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcoffey View Post

Heather
I'm so glad it went well!!! We still have about 3 1/2 weeks before school starts here so we are all trying not to think about it I do need to get the paperwork filled out since DD's registration is in two weeks.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: